Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Speaking of Melitopol, the Russians stole a bunch of John Deere farm equipment and shipped it to Russia only to find out that John Deere remotely locked all the equipment.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/01/europe/russia-farm-vehicles-ukraine-disabled-melitopol-intl/index.html

drat. I never thought anti right to repair would have a silver lining but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

...and there's this so
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1520875986539237379?cxt=HHwWhsC-0dupnpsqAAAA

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Could we NMS specific descriptions of horrible things happening as well as pictures/videos? That last one...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

When Putin is dead and entombed in his mausoleum, they need to take every weaselly little autocrat that Putin put into power and seal them in with him as funerary offerings. Let them all enter the kingdom of pure autocracy together

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

nutri_void posted:

A true Slav can replace anything with some potatoes

There is a Latvian potato joke angle in there somewhere (and yes I know Latvians aren't Slavs):

"My wife she want breast implant. Is too expensive."
"True. Who can afford two potato? Is crazy."

Thanks for sharing this, this is beautiful.

It reminds me of the works of the Belgian painter Constant Permeke (check out his work if you're unfamiliar with it), although there is definitely a strong influence of Gustav Klimt in there.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

IIRC, there are some sanctions the EU wants to put Hungary under, but those would need the unanimous approval of all EU members except Hungary. Poland has vetoed those measures previously, but if this tweet is correct, Orban is apparently doing his best to piss of the Poles.

In any case, I can confirm that German media is quoting foreign minister Baerbock that Germany convinced the EU holdouts to adopt an oil embargo. I don't know who's right, I guess we'll find out much later this day.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

How much longer are we gonna have to wait until Biden gets to sign lend lease? It’s still sitting passed somewhere without going to his desk.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

IIRC, there are some sanctions the EU wants to put Hungary under, but those would need the unanimous approval of all EU members except Hungary. Poland has vetoed those measures previously, but if this tweet is correct, Orban is apparently doing his best to piss of the Poles.

In any case, I can confirm that German media is quoting foreign minister Baerbock that Germany convinced the EU holdouts to adopt an oil embargo. I don't know who's right, I guess we'll find out much later this day.

The Hungary “sanctions” refers to this story - https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-european-commission-rule-law-mechanism-hungary-funds/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yes, thank you. I couldn't recall what they were called, and my google-fu was too weak.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/01/world/europe/russian-general-dead-valery-gerasimov.html

Two unnamed US officials corroborate the claim that Gerasimov was in Izyum, as per NYT.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It was rumoured the big artillery strike was to get him, it was the video with the entire screen lighting up with 152/155mm

E: more coverage
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1520887048063930368

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 1, 2022

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

They need to stop murdering all these generals or someday they'll get replaced by someone accidentally competent

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

It was rumoured the big artillery strike was to get him, it was the video with the entire screen lighting up with 152/155mm

That was an MLRS barrage, if I recall correctly.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Staluigi posted:

They need to stop murdering all these generals or someday they'll get replaced by someone accidentally competent

The loss of professional staff officers getting exploded in the same hq means more in actual negative effect. But if Gerasimov was lightly wounded, at least he gets a campaign ribbon out of it. Good staff officers are incredibly well educated and very hard to replace.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That was an MLRS barrage, if I recall correctly.

There was also a precision strike on that command building/tent to open the barrage (or they got really lucky with the first rocket)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
24 hours later
Unrelated: Israel to start shipping iron dome to Ukraine.

I mean I’d like that to happen, but at the least, Russia found a way to probably supremely piss of the Israelis.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I mean I’d like that to happen, but at the least, Russia found a way to probably supremely piss of the Israelis.

But probably not enough to get the Israelis to forego their arab-bombing corridor.
If Israel stops bombing muslims even for a second, it will spontaneously combust.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/jakluge/status/1520865625526226944

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Tiny Timbs posted:

That is such a strange position. When you have no leverage and you’re being invaded by a hostile power the only form of negotiation you can do is surrender.

Which I guess may be the point but can’t they just say that’s the outcome they want?
All this feels akin to utterly empty advice like "anyone involved in a lawsuit should negotiate an out of court settlement instead."

Like, yeah, it's true in an abstract sense. But it absolutely matters what the demands are, what options are on the table, who is more likely to win absent an agreement, what costs will be incurred even if there's a victory, etc etc.

And when both sides have very different ideas about what happens when there's no agreement, there's no reason to expect an agreement to ever happen, even with perfectly rational parties.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

24 hours later
Unrelated: Israel to start shipping iron dome to Ukraine.

Aren’t there a bunch of Russian Israelis that the Israeli government is eager to avoid pissing off by supporting Ukraine too much?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Eng: they found the meme kid, 14 yo

https://mobile.twitter.com/YanaSuporovska/status/1520802545765134337

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I can't believe bloodthirsty Ukrainians would sabotage the peace process with their unreasonable "no annexation and genocide of Ukrainians" precondition :sigh: Can't we just leave all options on the table for the sake of peace?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

the holy poopacy posted:

I can't believe bloodthirsty Ukrainians would sabotage the peace process with their unreasonable "no annexation and genocide of Ukrainians" precondition :sigh: Can't we just leave all options on the table for the sake of peace?

If we don't give Russia more territory, wouldn't they keep wanting it? Seems like the only way to ensure world peace is giving them south east of Ukraine, then we can all live happily ever after.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

losing will continue until victory improves

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Only tangentially related to the war, but out of curiosity: do people from the city of Kyiv pronounce it as Kyiv or Kiev? My understanding is that the city is Russian-speaking and that Kiev is the Russian pronunciation. Have people there adopted the official pronunciation, or is Kiev preferred?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

the popes toes posted:

I prefer not to believe this. Not because it is propaganda, even if true, but because I'd like to believe there are limits on the depravity to which I imagine sane people can descend, even if I'm pretending to myself about it. So no. Not believing it.

If it makes you feel better there is a variant of this story in literally every war every and 99% of the time it's completely false

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Concerned Citizen posted:

Only tangentially related to the war, but out of curiosity: do people from the city of Kyiv pronounce it as Kyiv or Kiev? My understanding is that the city is Russian-speaking and that Kiev is the Russian pronunciation. Have people there adopted the official pronunciation, or is Kiev preferred?

As I understand it things have been slowly shifting away from Russian since approximately 2014, so it's more of an even mix these days and will probably be shifting a bit faster in the future.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kavros posted:

losing will continue until victory improves

Which is the hilarious part: Russia could easily pull out and re-equip/retrain and come back. Leaving troops in the fray will wear their down faster.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Which is the hilarious part: Russia could easily pull out and re-equip/retrain and come back. Leaving troops in the fray will wear their down faster.

No it can't. Ukraine is going to get re-armed faster than Russia can.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Your question doesn’t make sense, those are words from different languages.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

No it can't. Ukraine is going to get re-armed faster than Russia can.

True, but the alternative is giving up land and rebuilding your units safely. They are choosing to let their units wear down in face with the enemy and they cannot reasonably resupply them.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Hmmm
https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1520762986410958850?s=20&t=5cIlOXipcL7Z5q4rbZLSOQ
I guess we see tomorrow

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gay picnic defence posted:

Aren’t there a bunch of Russian Israelis that the Israeli government is eager to avoid pissing off by supporting Ukraine too much?

Yeah, but most those people are not supportive of Russia as they were often émigrés from the Soviet union. One thing to keep in mind though is that both Ukraine and Russia have large Jewish populations. Russia has around 150,00 and Ukraine has around 43,000. It’s why Israel as a mediator isn’t a horrible idea as they have an incentive to not screw over one party heavily and have mistake beyond say financial investments.

For anyone interest I’ve come across a really interesting number of YouTube documentaries or historical presentations about the Jews of Ukraine. One series of them is from a Rabbi who is a Historian he talks about the general history of the Jews in Ukraine in one video and another on Zelensky and the Jewish population in Soviet and Post Soviet History and Society, and another on the Jewish background of Kivy of Mayor (via a grandparent and his own relationship the Jewish community). Admittedly the Rabbi’s initial two reasons why he thought Klitschko had a Jewish background are kind of more humorous vs factual. I’d be happy to link them if people are interested.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm asking, if I go to a dozen people in Kyiv and ask them to say their city's name, will people tend to use the Russian or the Ukrainian pronunciation?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

CommieGIR posted:

i don't actually think they could do that. pulling out would be a one-way maneuver, because occupation of Ukraine is now fully outside of their autocratic competency window. they would not be refreshing their combat capacity faster than their opponent would be.

any breather for Ukraine is an opportunity to rearm and restock and train up their active combat capacity further above what russia is even capable of anymore, and all they have to look forward to is war tech shortages and the continued discovery of how deep the institutional rot actually got in the armed services.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kavros posted:

any breather for Ukraine is an opportunity to rearm and restock and train up their active combat capacity further above what russia is even capable of anymore, and all they have to look forward to is war tech shortages and the continued discovery of how deep the institutional rot actually got in the armed services.

And also the possibility that NATO would decide to step in in a peacekeeping role, slamming the door shut on a second invasion.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yep. It's like Alemania vs Deutschland vs Germany.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm asking, if I go to a dozen people in Kyiv and ask them to say their city's name, will people tend to use the Russian or the Ukrainian pronunciation?

If you’re asking them in English language, who knows. Overwhelming majority of residents has native fluency both in Ukrainian and Russian.

It also won’t help you that English literacy levels are fairly bad in Ukraine - I’ve had a number of affluent millennial colleagues from Ukraine (rich programmers with graduate degrees, consulting western companies) over the years, and they would all bomb the state exam in English that’s mandatory to get a highschool diploma in Latvia. I’d bet :10bux: that almost no one over 40 would parse such question, and you’d probably have to go for computer-literate people younger than 30 to hold a conversation about the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TPR officials have already called it a fake, and I tend to believe them on this one. It's clearly like the fake Pravda issues that were disseminated in Afghanistan in the 80s. Only here it's not clear who stands to profit more from it. Conceivably, all sides (Moldova, Transnistria, Russia, Ukraine) could use it to spin a narrative.