Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I tried to play BF1942 again a few years ago after maybe 15 years of not playing it. Seemingly every else there had been playing it every day since then, and I was beyond terrible by comparison. So I uninstalled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I tried to play BF1942 again a few years ago after maybe 15 years of not playing it. Seemingly every else there had been playing it every day since then, and I was beyond terrible by comparison. So I uninstalled it.

Haha this was me when I went back to Day of Defeat, all I could find was servers full of actual military vets.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
god imagine if Firearms was still around yeesh

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Animal-Mother posted:

Playing the Stanley Parable for the first time, the new Ultra Deluxe edition. This must be what it feels like to lose one's mind.

It's loving great. The chain that starts from the 'new content' door is amazing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

It's loving great. The chain that starts from the 'new content' door is amazing.

i loved this game when i played it like eight years ago and it's encouraging to hear that it's still funny and better than ever

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Weedle posted:

i loved this game when i played it like eight years ago and it's encouraging to hear that it's still funny and better than ever

Apparently they added an achievement to the new release that is earned by not playing the game for ten years. In the old version it is five years and it is called "Go Outside."

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Now it's called "Super Go Outside"

and 2% of steam players have it

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Jiro posted:

We need an ancient goon to make a server so we can go ham on one another. Ganking fools with your absurdly fast knife is always a fun time. Plus it's a fascinating time capsule to play this game and be like oh, so this is where Battlefield came from. Only Battlefield let you fly planes and you couldn't just turn into an opposing player.

You mean Codename Eagle? That was the one game we always, always played at LAN parties without fail, and it's an absolute blast. Battlefield with biplanes, it even had a zeppelin 17 years before Battlefield 1.

The single player is a buggy broken mess and not very good, but the multiplayer is ace. Apparently some people have been trying to get games going recently: https://codenameeaglemultiplayer.com/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

caleb posted:

Apparently they added an achievement to the new release that is earned by not playing the game for ten years. In the old version it is five years and it is called "Go Outside."

I actually recently got this one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I guess people finally figured out how to mod RAGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycJVv_t6hes

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thinking of trying out that Wolfenstein that just went free, can I just run it straight off the Steam install or is it optimal to get some mods or something?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Artelier posted:

Thinking of trying out that Wolfenstein that just went free, can I just run it straight off the Steam install or is it optimal to get some mods or something?

The original EXE still runs decently enough on modern systems, but you'll have to dig into the console for widescreen resolutions, and to fix an FPS issue if you run into it. ET Legacy is pretty solid, but Windows seems to be falsely detecting it as a trojan.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone run it on Mac?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Weedle posted:

The devs have said the new content has way more lines recorded than all the old stuff put together. It's essentially a massive expansion pack

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone run it on Mac?

I'll dig my G5 out of storage this week and run it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I think this is pretty much every retro FPS at this point. Like 'Oh, you haven't been playing Quake 1 deathmatch continuously for 30 years? gently caress you then!'

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I went back and tried out Quake 2 dm like 8 years after I had gotten out of that scene when it was relatively new and the only people that had been left at that point were the seriously grizzled vets, couldn't even start to catch up to where I had been.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I need it...

https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1519771123033919488

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Artelier posted:

The Steam version includes a patch that you'd have to download manually otherwise. No mods to download.

Wolf:ET is a fantastic game, but one of the biggest problems is that server downloads got out of control. Servers will force you to download all kinds of skeevy files that can sometimes even do things like open your browser without permission.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
drat I would pay $30 for a PS5 port of Max Payne 3 that’s just 4K 60fps and has a no cutscene mode.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

WolfET was my first exposure to servers with sound triggers (the one I went to was run by some guy who went by the handle "TesTicul") and I had immense fun spamming Cornholio sounds while sucking at every objective and team killing with the flamethrower during warm up

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's funny how despite all the bling, it looks so retro, because it still uses the 'narrow corridors and ramps everywhere' school of design of the first game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well seeing as it's using almost exactly the same floormap I guess it'd have to be similar, yes.

I'm quite excited for the game but I can't help noticing that the new screenshot is very busy, especially compared to how easy it is to parse the terrain in the original. I know when I last played the demo I kept walking up to wall consoles that where just decorative textures, oops.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
TBH even if the game is garbage I'm happy to take a chance on Night Dive because goddamn if they haven't earned some good faith from me

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Turin Turambar posted:

It's funny how despite all the bling, it looks so retro, because it still uses the 'narrow corridors and ramps everywhere' school of design of the first game.

I like the ramp in the original shot since it has angles in 3 directions, and don't like that the remake made it a "boring" ramp. That's quite a style change to the basic room design. I also find the original easier to parse. Remake does look cool in some ways though.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I think it looks cool in its own way, still claustrophobic. It's just missing those ceiling light panels

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i think the original looks a lot better tbh

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

An Actual Princess posted:

i think the original looks a lot better tbh

:same: but I think this about all old games, so it's not really a dig on nightdive's work. The classic charm can't be replicated and nobody should try. Somebody else will think the same thing about the remake 25 years from now.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Deadly Dozen has a remake?!!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Disposable Scud posted:

Deadly Dozen has a remake?!!

I was surprised by that too. GOG's front page layout is super weird, they have the news at the very bottom so it's real easy to miss stuff, is my excuse.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/BlendoGames/status/1520825962555879424

Weedle
May 31, 2006

god dammit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Weedle posted:

god dammit

Half-life is supposed stay on your drive and collect dust in the form of sound files downloaded from random servers

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hrot guy says he plans to release the completed episode 2 on june 22. i haven't played it since episode 1 about a year ago so i'm looking forward to replaying it from the beginning with all the improvements he's made since

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
found the button that filters out servers with bots for ET and wow these real players ARE NOT loving around

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Weedle posted:

hrot guy says he plans to release the completed episode 2 on june 22. i haven't played it since episode 1 about a year ago so i'm looking forward to replaying it from the beginning with all the improvements he's made since

hell yeah

i wonder how many episodes are planned. i guess 3-4 would be about standard?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri-eLv5ULls

this looks pretty cool

love that song

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I love how the enemies just crumble apart.

I hope the Mick Gordon-rear end music is just a placeholder though. It doesn't go well with the game's pacing and style at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

hell yeah

i wonder how many episodes are planned. i guess 3-4 would be about standard?

early access blurb says three