Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

GTO posted:

I don't like gimmick OTK decks and I don't like aggro. I just find them boring to play. I like games where you get to play a decent chunk of your deck and make decisions that tip the balance vs your opponent through better value. And I like playing interesting blowout cards that do cool and exciting stuff. So I guess that means a mix of control / tempo decks?

This is basically me, as well, except I'll play aggro sometimes out of curiosity or if I just want to ladder to a particular breakpoint because it's the fastest way to get there. I prefer midrange/control with Rogue, Mage, Paladin, or Warrior and don't touch the other classes much (I think I can count the number of times I've played Warlock on one hand, outside Duels).

It's a lot easier to say what I don't like in a meta than what I do like. I don't like playing against OTK, or decks that are 90% removal and never put anything on the board at all (last year's Priest and Warlock) and I don't like the absurdly efficient and predictable Pirate Warrior. I do think playing as or against any quest deck is too predictable an experience in general, so I guess I appreciate variety more than anything. Durdley Priest decks will always annoy me and I really wish Blizzard would support Shadow Priest properly or something, but I'm more or less fine with everything else in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I like that the HS team can’t ever nerf Drekthar because they are selling the card for 25 goddamn dollars lmao

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X4Up7D_wv4 I guess you can earn packs again for these?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The Duels crossover thing got me to check out the Uldum single player adventure because I bought it back in the day but never finished it, and is it bugged out for anyone else? Whenever I get to Bob's Bazaar I get the popup explaining how it works but clicking "OK" just makes a sound and doesn't do anything. The only way it seems I can continue is by force-closing the app and then restarting, which brings me to the next fight but effectively means I have to skip using the Bazaar. Tested this on two different chapters with two different heroes and it happened both times (on iOS, haven't tried yet on PC). Anyone know of a workaround for this? I get that the game's been around forever and old content breaking isn't that surprising, but it's funny it's happening with old content that's currently tied into new in-game stuff.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I started playing Hearthstone shortly after it came out of beta back in 2014. Even though I played it pretty consistently for seven years, in all that time, I never made Legend. I quit shortly after Stormwind came out because I was very turned off by the solitaire Questline meta, but the Standard rotation lured me back... and I made Legend my first month back. Go figure.

I did most of the climb pre-nerfs with Thijs's Fel Demon Hunter list. I liked that deck quite a lot, it's a ton of fun to play, but Aggro DH being so strong kind of turned the meta against it. So I climbed the last few ranks with this, which I pulled of HS Replay:

### Handbuff
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Click-Clocker
# 2x (1) Prismatic Jewel Kit
# 2x (1) Righteous Protector
# 2x (2) Amalgam of the Deep
# 2x (2) Battle Vicar
# 2x (2) Noble Mount
# 2x (2) Seafloor Savior
# 2x (3) Alliance Bannerman
# 2x (3) Azsharan Mooncatcher
# 2x (3) Catacomb Guard
# 1x (3) Saidan the Scarlet
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
# 1x (4) Cariel Roame
# 1x (5) Overlord Runthak
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Mr. Smite
# 1x (7) Lightforged Cariel
# 1x (7) The Leviathan
# 1x (8) Varian, King of Stormwind
#
AAECAcqLBQr76AOR7APZ+QO/gASoigSqigTgiwSwsgTHsgTquAQK8PYD8/YDjfgDqvgDyaAE0KwE4bUE3rkEssEE2tkEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

It's kind of hilarious how bad the popular decks right now are at dealing with Divine Shield guys. I'd queue into some Questline Hunter or Control Warrior or Naga Mage and by turn five they'd be looking at three Divine Shields helplessly while the rope burned down. I was also kind of stunned by the number of decks that just fold to Turn 3 Mooncatcher, Turn 4 Seafloor Savior dredging the Sunken Mooncatcher to the top, Turn 5 two 6- or 7-power Divine Shields. The Blademaster duo is absolutely core though; saved my skin over and over. I guess it's also worth noting that the only Holy spells in the deck are the ones discovered by Battle Vicar, so the minion Cariel is "just" a 4/3 rush Divine Shield in this deck, no need to hold her trying to get value out of her ability.

Catacomb Guard, Noble Mount, and Taelan feel like the weakest links, although I'm not sure what I'd replace them with. I initially thought the deck might want Acolyte of Pain, but in practice I rarely found myself running out of gas.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

goferchan posted:

The Duels crossover thing got me to check out the Uldum single player adventure because I bought it back in the day but never finished it, and is it bugged out for anyone else? Whenever I get to Bob's Bazaar I get the popup explaining how it works but clicking "OK" just makes a sound and doesn't do anything. The only way it seems I can continue is by force-closing the app and then restarting, which brings me to the next fight but effectively means I have to skip using the Bazaar. Tested this on two different chapters with two different heroes and it happened both times (on iOS, haven't tried yet on PC). Anyone know of a workaround for this? I get that the game's been around forever and old content breaking isn't that surprising, but it's funny it's happening with old content that's currently tied into new in-game stuff.

The most recent patch is supposed to have fixed that. So either make sure your game is fully updated or just wait for them to fix it better next patch.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so Arena right now is just "whoever gets to draft more mechs/mech synergy wins"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have two or three Arena/Duels tickets sitting around and I suck at both of them. I should use them for the free stuff but it all feels like effort. Wish I could just swap them for the equivalent gold.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Desert Bus posted:

I have two or three Arena/Duels tickets sitting around and I suck at both of them. I should use them for the free stuff but it all feels like effort. Wish I could just swap them for the equivalent gold.

Just use them to start a run, or hold them for the eventual rotation and start a run just before it happens. Even at 0 games played, you will get the 0-wins reward and the ticket back.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

AnacondaHL posted:

Just use them to start a run, or hold them for the eventual rotation and start a run just before it happens. Even at 0 games played, you will get the 0-wins reward and the ticket back.

I have this weird amount of gold where it never equals out to 100 ever and I autistically hate it. The only way to get it to come together is winning a few games in either.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I mean you can also use the ticket and just mash through the draft before you retire for the 0 win rewards

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

That does not give me the 20 gold I need to make this equal out to 100.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Desert Bus posted:

Here's what you do. You go to Duels, you make a hard aggro deck. You burn down your first opponent or two, you win fast, and then you run out of steam against the people who know what they're doing. Or maybe you win more than that and get more rewards than you were expecting, who knows? Either way, it should get you to the "actually do something useful with my tickets and even out my gold amount" bar.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Easiest way to tumble through duels with a 3-5 wins at least is hop onto https://hearthstone-decks.net/duels-deck/?msclkid=6b18939ac50d11ec84c31930acdf9f9e, pick the hero that has the most frequent and consistent winning deck that you can make and run with it.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

bravesword posted:

I started playing Hearthstone shortly after it came out of beta back in 2014. Even though I played it pretty consistently for seven years, in all that time, I never made Legend. I quit shortly after Stormwind came out because I was very turned off by the solitaire Questline meta, but the Standard rotation lured me back... and I made Legend my first month back. Go figure.

I did most of the climb pre-nerfs with Thijs's Fel Demon Hunter list. I liked that deck quite a lot, it's a ton of fun to play, but Aggro DH being so strong kind of turned the meta against it. So I climbed the last few ranks with this, which I pulled of HS Replay:

### Handbuff
# Class: Paladin
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Click-Clocker
# 2x (1) Prismatic Jewel Kit
# 2x (1) Righteous Protector
# 2x (2) Amalgam of the Deep
# 2x (2) Battle Vicar
# 2x (2) Noble Mount
# 2x (2) Seafloor Savior
# 2x (3) Alliance Bannerman
# 2x (3) Azsharan Mooncatcher
# 2x (3) Catacomb Guard
# 1x (3) Saidan the Scarlet
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
# 1x (4) Cariel Roame
# 1x (5) Overlord Runthak
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Mr. Smite
# 1x (7) Lightforged Cariel
# 1x (7) The Leviathan
# 1x (8) Varian, King of Stormwind
#
AAECAcqLBQr76AOR7APZ+QO/gASoigSqigTgiwSwsgTHsgTquAQK8PYD8/YDjfgDqvgDyaAE0KwE4bUE3rkEssEE2tkEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

It's kind of hilarious how bad the popular decks right now are at dealing with Divine Shield guys. I'd queue into some Questline Hunter or Control Warrior or Naga Mage and by turn five they'd be looking at three Divine Shields helplessly while the rope burned down. I was also kind of stunned by the number of decks that just fold to Turn 3 Mooncatcher, Turn 4 Seafloor Savior dredging the Sunken Mooncatcher to the top, Turn 5 two 6- or 7-power Divine Shields. The Blademaster duo is absolutely core though; saved my skin over and over. I guess it's also worth noting that the only Holy spells in the deck are the ones discovered by Battle Vicar, so the minion Cariel is "just" a 4/3 rush Divine Shield in this deck, no need to hold her trying to get value out of her ability.

Catacomb Guard, Noble Mount, and Taelan feel like the weakest links, although I'm not sure what I'd replace them with. I initially thought the deck might want Acolyte of Pain, but in practice I rarely found myself running out of gas.

This deck fucks. I swapped in Tirion for Saidan, went 8-1 and hit legend. Beat three control warriors, only loss was to a token DH who drew better than I did. Thanks for sharing!

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Tess is too much sometimes. Got second with this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Where can I find the decklists for the recent Master's Tour?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Boatswain posted:

https://www.d0nkey.top/battlefy/tournament/624d91cfdcea614f50cfcc50?show_lineups=top_64&stage_id=626b645fa7506708e989a145

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Thanks, I always forget in which tab I can find them :tipshat:

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Boatswain posted:

D0nkey has you covered:
https://twitter.com/D0nkeyHS/status/1519617429596516352?t=Xz32zt_DI3HHUw4LbUHFQQ&s=19

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Yah, I was clicking around unable to find the decks.

As for the earlier questions, the most fun decks I've played since returning in Darkmoon has been OTK/Fel DH, Naga Mage, Contact Rogue and above all else Whirlkick Rogue and Enrage Warrior. I guess midrange/combo with plenty of draw, plays, and interaction.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One I really enjoy this expansion is when someone drops Hydrolon, rushes with the two heads and then there's a moment of confusion and you see can them reading the card again.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ah, there's that Duels synergy I remember:

Using up a bunch of free tickets from the last few seasons and it's about the same as I remembered. If you don't luck into the good treasures your deck isn't going anywhere.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Kalko posted:

Ah, there's that Duels synergy I remember:

Using up a bunch of free tickets from the last few seasons and it's about the same as I remembered. If you don't luck into the good treasures your deck isn't going anywhere.

Having Lady Sorrento + Cloak of dreams, which leads you to playing 2 Nightmares on her in one big whammy turn. :feelsgood:

Yestermoment fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 2, 2022

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Doji Sekushi posted:

Threw this poo poo together and it actually wins games. It’s kinda funny. Cycle until you get fires and Vanndar. See what random cheap poo poo you get.

### ?
# Class: Warrior
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Execute
# 2x (1) Irondeep Trogg
# 2x (1) Mistress of Mixtures
# 2x (1) Peasant
# 2x (1) Shoulder Check
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Doomsayer
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
# 2x (2) The Fires of Zin-Azshari
# 2x (3) Acolyte of Pain
# 2x (3) From the Depths
# 2x (3) Heavy Plate
# 1x (3) Mankrik
# 1x (4) Vanndar Stormpike
# 2x (5) Brawl
#
AAECAc2LBQTn8AOnjQSXoATlsAQN9+gD9PYD+IAEn58EiKAEoaAE4aQE06wEjLcEuLcEm9QEnNQEndQEAA==
#

(Disclaimer: this deck is very stupid)

Also - that loving shark does some work in mech mage, holy poo poo. Nearly all my wins are from discounted sharks and dumping my hand full of 1 and 2 cost mechs. Shark turn is almost always a dead opponent.

This is from a few pages back, but thank you for this deck idea. Love it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Doji Sekushi posted:

Also - that loving shark does some work in mech mage, holy poo poo. Nearly all my wins are from discounted sharks and dumping my hand full of 1 and 2 cost mechs. Shark turn is almost always a dead opponent.
This is very much highlighting the issue - There's no play OR counterplay. You just discount a bunch, do a couple of Discovers then dump your hand. It's not that it's too or not powerful enough, it's just stupid.

E: I need to put down HS for a while. Fuckin’ Rogue of all people just did 22 from hand, what’s even the point of paying attention to the board when it’s entirely irrelevant.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 2, 2022

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Kalko posted:

If you don't luck into the good treasures your deck isn't going anywhere.

My experience is that 100% of later round games are crafted for one specific strategy and treasure set, and you always play them because the ones that get them are OP and the ones that don’t just fade out. So like decks of 100% deathrattle with reborn deathrattle, or divine shield decks with buff on shield loss and hero power gives divine shield, or a deck with a quest and a hero power and treasure specifically for it.

You shouldn’t be able to build your own deck in Duels. It should start with you drafting from the buckets Arena style and all Quests should be banned.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 2, 2022

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Shockeh posted:

This is very much highlighting the issue - There's no play OR counterplay. You just discount a bunch, do a couple of Discovers then dump your hand. It's not that it's too or not powerful enough, it's just stupid.

E: I need to put down HS for a while. Fuckin’ Rogue of all people just did 22 from hand, what’s even the point of paying attention to the board when it’s entirely irrelevant.

Wasn't one of the listed designs goals for this year was to limit the amount of from hand combos in Standard?

I'm legit asking, I'm struggling to find the Year of the Hydra design aims list they put out :v:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I'm really starting to feel that the trifecta of Abyssal Curse

ramping damage
    forcing opponent to spend mana
    disrupting by forcing card burn

is a wee bit too much and unfun to play against.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Sorry for the outburst, just cathartic.

Also, this is the first expansion of the new year. Imagine what the end of Hydra is gonna look like. :v:

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
The meta has definitely improved after the nerfs (for now), but games do seem to be a bit... swingy? As long as the swings happen in later turns, it's not too bad.

My favorite decks are probably small spell HP mage and Feeding Frenzy aggro Shaman. Lots of decisions to be made and ways to play around some of the more annoying decks. Burn Shaman with bioluminescence is fun too, but I feel guilty with all the board freezes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mcbexx posted:

I'm really starting to feel that the trifecta of Abyssal Curse

ramping damage
    forcing opponent to spend mana
    disrupting by forcing card burn

is a wee bit too much and unfun to play against.

It's pretty weak too, so I'll be interested to see if/how it gets adjustments.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

The meta has definitely improved after the nerfs (for now)

Kael'Thas Druid is dead now in Wild, thank all the gods.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

I dunno man, I had a fun couple of weeks playing nothing but otk druid and it was AWESOME.

They should un-nerf Kael'Thas every few months for a couple of weeks, I had a blast with him.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Desert Bus posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why they thought that card was acceptable to un-nerf.

Still wonder what they do to make Stealer of Souls fair for wild when it's out of Standard. At the very least it still needs to be expensive.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I think I'm having my worst ever start to a season. I've played 10 games with a 9-star bonus and I'm still at Bronze 5.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Oh hey, I just hit B5 with about the same record, except I've been playing Tess Rogue. It's so bad, but I'm sure my opponents appreciate losing to something other than a meta deck every now and then.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

I dunno man, I had a fun couple of weeks playing nothing but otk druid and it was AWESOME.

They should un-nerf Kael'Thas every few months for a couple of weeks, I had a blast with him.

every third game you play with Kael he’s un-nerfed

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's pretty weak too, so I'll be interested to see if/how it gets adjustments.

Is it? I feel there's next to no counterplay, your board gets reliably removed while theey heal as per ususal against Warlocks, they feed you some curses to ramp their damage, reduce cost with weapon and then hit you with Brann + 2x Curse Murloc and maybe some cheap, tamsin'ed copies of spells for a total of 25+ damage. Unless of course you try to manage your hand, than they will burn a card every other turn or so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the only hard counter to curse warlock is quest hunter

which will probably get nerfed in the next wave along with aggro dh so...yeah...that's going to be fun.