Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

HootTheOwl posted:

GS is a true sequel. It's the only generation that builds off the previous games, unlike the other post 1-generations which instead pretends it's a new experience and ends up being worse because of it.

the only true sequel but as far as I can tell nobody outside of this thread likes it much

Spacebump posted:

Just give me a HGSS Remake done in the style of Legends.

given the lack of a Let’s Go entry they probably aren’t going to try to make G/S happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What if there's another gen 1 remake but in the style of legends...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also the whole "Only true sequel" thing isn't loving true!

There's games out there literally called Pokemon Black and White 2 that are direct sequels with characters from the first set and plot points continuing on from it!

Gen 2 fans are truly kings of coping.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gen II's gym leaders have such boring teams that rely too much on Kanto 'mons.

You couldn't give Falkner a Hoothoot or even a Xatu? You shouldn't give Bugsy a Ledyba, a Spinarak, a Pineco, a Yanma, or even a Heracross? You couldn't give Morty a Misdreavus or Chuck a Hitmontop? Come on!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I can’t comment on GSC’s level curve since I never played it, but in HGSS if you actually fight every trainer instead of purposely avoiding gameplay you payed real life money for, you’ll be in the 40’s when you reach the elite 4 which is where you’re supposed to be. Then Kanto’s level curve will take you into the 60’s which is where you end pretty much every Pokémon game. The only thing you actually have to grind for is Red. But they actually sidestepped this issue by making the grinding for him be the Gym Rematches which are actual content you want to do anyway ala Gen5’s PWT.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

galagazombie posted:

Larvitar is the only one limited to the safari zone. You can get Murkrow before you even reach violet city with the pedometer, Slugmas in a free egg, and on and on. Even the infamous level curve problem doesn’t exist if you actually play the game and bother to explore fighting trainers in all the places to explore. I’ll never understand people who buy a game and then try to skip the whole thing making a beeline towards the credits.

murkrow and slugma are both extremely terrible.
i'll give you the larvitar point even though i think safari zone in general is extremely bad and i never waste my time with that bullshit.

i did fight all the trainers i could find, all of them as far as I can tell. not having higher level wild pokemon to grind on is the crime. the level curve is clearly by far the worst of any pokemon game

Hammerite posted:

are you really arguing that the game designers hosed up because they didn't take into account

- that people might lose or accidentally destroy the game, or parts of it
- that people who buy the game second hand without a widget that came with the new copy might have a degraded experience of the game
- that people who emulate the game might have a degraded experience of the game

Because all of that is completely mental. especially the last one.

the second point, about the pokewalker, is totally valid. who the gently caress has the pokewalker??

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

galagazombie posted:

I can’t comment on GSC’s level curve since I never played it, but in HGSS if you actually fight every trainer instead of purposely avoiding gameplay you payed real life money for, you’ll be in the 40’s when you reach the elite 4 which is where you’re supposed to be. Then Kanto’s level curve will take you into the 60’s which is where you end pretty much every Pokémon game. The only thing you actually have to grind for is Red. But they actually sidestepped this issue by making the grinding for him be the Gym Rematches which are actual content you want to do anyway ala Gen5’s PWT.

a team of 6 in the high 40s can probably do the elite 4. I got to them with a team of 4 - I prefer to get through most games using only 4 in battles so their EXP isnt diluted and they can be higher levels. They were all still low 40s. No chance

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Doctor Dogballs posted:

i'll give you the larvitar point even though i think safari zone in general is extremely bad and i never waste my time with that bullshit.

Safari Zones in general are bad but goddamn HGSS's is an absolute nightmare.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

indigi posted:

given the lack of a Let’s Go entry they probably aren’t going to try to make G/S happen

Does anyone even want another Let's Go?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if they thought it would make money Game Freak would

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It isn't really a question of money since the games will sell like hot cakes regardless of how much "quality" is put into the product

More like they just don't want to repeat an experiment that they've already done. They move onto some other experiment. Its why the Player Search System in the Gen 6 games got replaced with the Festival Plaza in Gen 7.

Spacebump posted:

Does anyone even want another Let's Go?

A lot of Gen 2 fans do even though the idea of a Let's Go Johto game makes me recoil in horror.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Definitely am curious to see how they handle the inevitable B/W remakes. Will any of the B2/W2 content be included? The two different gyms and PWT are must haves IMO

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zuzie posted:

More like they just don't want to repeat an experiment that they've already done.

Game freak? I’m sorry, do you work for them or something

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The fact that Sword and Shield has a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon included in Galar's regional Pokedex probably means that we're not going to see Gen 5 remakes for a very very long time. Probably not within the Switch's lifetime, if ever.

Heck we mind even get something like a Black 3 and White 3, which be an all new adventure set in Unova and being able to explore every part of it in a single game (unlike Black 2 and White 2 where areas from the original Black and White games are either postgame areas or completely inaccessible)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zuzie posted:

The fact that Sword and Shield has a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon included in Galar's regional Pokedex probably means that we're not going to see Gen 5 remakes for a very very long time. Probably not within the Switch's lifetime, if ever.

I dunno I remember DPPt and XY being packed with Johto and Hoenn mons respectively. And Arceus isn’t exactly a mainline game but it of course had Sinnoh mons everywhere alongside BDSP. I think FRLG was the only remake that whose generation didn’t have a “test run” of its featured mons in the gens main entries.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only bad thing about Johto is the level curve. Otherwise it's cool imo.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Doctor Dogballs posted:

the second point, about the pokewalker, is totally valid. who the gently caress has the pokewalker??

no it isn't, not any more than it's valid to argue they should care about the experience of people who emulate the game. Why should they give a poo poo if you buy the game from a third party but don't take care to buy the whole thing? It has nothing to do with them, they're not a party to the transaction, they already got their money. From their perspective there's a solution to the problem identified (such as it is): just make sure you actually get what you're paying for when you buy the game from the other person, dummy. If you buy the whole thing then you will get the game experience as designed.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Hammerite posted:

no it isn't, not any more than it's valid to argue they should care about the experience of people who emulate the game. Why should they give a poo poo if you buy the game from a third party but don't take care to buy the whole thing? It has nothing to do with them, they're not a party to the transaction, they already got their money. From their perspective there's a solution to the problem identified (such as it is): just make sure you actually get what you're paying for when you buy the game from the other person, dummy. If you buy the whole thing then you will get the game experience as designed.

This is a bizarre and extremely unreasonable take, especially because your entire argument is shaky speculation at best. I'd say there's almost no chance the designers of HGSS took any part of the Pokewalker into consideration when balancing pokemon distribution. It's far more likely an entirely separate team handled Pokewalker stuff and it all came together toward the tail end of development.

It was never anything more than a marketing gimmick to discourage secondhand sales, it wasn't meant to paper over crummy design

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I think doing something so dumb as the pokewalker was is a fault on the game devs, personally. Regardless if you feel like its "right" to judge the game without it or not.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'd put the Pokewalker in the same category as Gen 5's Dream World, Gen 6's Friend Safari, Gen 7's Island Scan, Sword and Shield's DLC areas and even Pokemon Go connectivity as a whole. If you gain access to them they all expand on what kind of Pokemon you can catch but ultimately they're not essential for actually beating the main campaign.

Pokewalker's tied to a pedometer, The Dream World is shut down, Getting friend codes for a specific Friend Safari is hard nowadays, Island Scan involves messing around with QR codes, Go is an entirely different game tied to mobile devices and Sword and Shield's DLC is well, paid DLC.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

pushin PR

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Didn't they make the pokewalker because OG pokemon crystal was able to connect to the pocket pikachu 2? It is still a gimmick, but a call back to that device/functionality in the original gen 2 games which were out at the peak of Tamagotchis and other digital pets.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I definitely would prefer being able to perma-slap DLC onto a game copy over any sort of peripheral management for a similar cost, that's for sure. Then again, I'm not a little kid.

Beyond that, encouraging kids to bring their pokewalkers/pokeGoPhones on their memorable vacations to disneyland or w/e is ingenious marketing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

I think doing something so dumb as the pokewalker was is a fault on the game devs, personally. Regardless if you feel like its "right" to judge the game without it or not.

Like I said earlier, choosing to do that instead of the easier more satisfying thing of just adding some pokemon to earlier routes was a gently caress up

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I didn't know you could get pokemon from the pedometer. I thought it just gave exp.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

indigi posted:

pushin PR

I don't know what your problem is, but maybe quit it with the snark?

Game Freak has always done this kind of stuff with their games. The "full" experience is always enjoyed when the games are at the newest and its impossible to recapture every experience because people are always moving on to the next thing. Pokemon's always been an ephemeral experience.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zuzie posted:

I don't know what your problem is

it’s your persistent unabashed shilling for the poor design decisions of game freak. hope that clears things up

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I will never interact with the gimmicks and i've never felt my Pokemon experience particularly worsened by my lack of engagement.

I guess until maybe just now that I am learning I coulda caught an early slugma. Love that guy.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

indigi posted:

it’s your persistent unabashed shilling for the poor design decisions of game freak. hope that clears things up

I'm definitely not "shilling" they are poor design decisions

The series is littered with experiments that don't go anywhere.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I will never interact with the gimmicks and i've never felt my Pokemon experience particularly worsened by my lack of engagement.

I guess until maybe just now that I am learning I coulda caught an early slugma. Love that guy.

Same, and we do the same grousing about having to trade and trade evolutions.
It's a bad choice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Trading and trade evolutions are cool

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I didn't know you could get pokemon from the pedometer. I thought it just gave exp.

You can get a Kangaskhan before you get to Violet City. It's pretty loving rad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lmao this thing is way more thorough than I thought. I'm checking the mons you can get and its a bunch.

Its a cuter gimmick than I expected but I still don't really think I missed out on much by never using mine. Don't think my johto experience would be all too different honestly.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Trading and trade evolutions are cool

Fully agreed, it’s one of the fun parts of the game especially now since you don’t have to have a link cable or be in the same room and can do it from wherever

but they should also just include items like in Arceus so you can do it solo if you so choose, I can’t think of a good reason not to. there’s still incentives to trade since you get the XP boost and you can get Pokémon you might not have access to in your game (even beyond the slightly different dexes, I include stuff from previous generations)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think HGSS are in the top 5 best pokemon games, but you gotta be insane if you think the pokemon distribution and the level curve aren't pretty bad. I had the loving pokewalker and I just shoved a random pikachu i caught in it and got some items. I think I got a larvitar off of it once, like months after I had beaten Red but still carried the thing around as an accessory.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

indigi posted:

Fully agreed, it’s one of the fun parts of the game especially now since you don’t have to have a link cable or be in the same room and can do it from wherever

but they should also just include items like in Arceus so you can do it solo if you so choose, I can’t think of a good reason not to. there’s still incentives to trade since you get the XP boost and you can get Pokémon you might not have access to in your game (even beyond the slightly different dexes, I include stuff from previous generations)

Honestly, I kinda like the vibe of some pokemon or content being "locked" to coop or whatever. I think that's fine or interesting.

But alas I also made use of link cables before meeting up with a friend to trade in Legends so I guess there is some use for that as well. Maybe make them largely exclusive to post-game or something? It'd be a solid compromise.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

All I know is I literally never used any of the trade evo pokemon until PLA where I could get them without trading.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The B/W remakes will be in 2026.

I have spoken.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The B/W remakes are going to be in the style of legends and poke amie we’ll be returning but you can only pet N during the Ferris wheel scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The B/W remakes are going to be in the style of legends

It would be incredibly gamefreak to bring back the games with the PWT but use the version of their combat gameplay that sucks rear end so i feel like this will happen.