Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Volcott posted:

Not sure if there's a more appropriate place to ask this, but how long will an unopened bottle of spirits keep? I was given two bottles of whiskey a good 10 years ago that I just rediscovered in the back of a pantry.

Were they opened? If unopened and kept in a cool spot out of the sun they should stay good more or less indefinitely. Even if opened they won't really go bad but some of the alcohol and/or volatiles might evaporate and the flavors will weaken or change.

This only applies to spirits though. Lower ABV stuff (<20% or so?) might eventually go bad once opened and wine based stuff will spoil after a few days to months once opened, much depending on exactly what it is and how it is stored after being opened.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Unopened, yeah. Okay, if they're still good to go I'll try to offload them onto a Whiskey Enjoyer.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

When making simple syrup with things other than white sugar, should I just use the same amount of alternate sugar (brown, demerara, turbinado, etc) by weight or by volume?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Carillon posted:

When making simple syrup with things other than white sugar, should I just use the same amount of alternate sugar (brown, demerara, turbinado, etc) by weight or by volume?

Yeah.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Carillon posted:

Weight, it’s also nice to get all your measurements set by weight for repeatability.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Sorry should it be by weight or should it be by volume :)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Volcott posted:

Not sure if there's a more appropriate place to ask this, but how long will an unopened bottle of spirits keep? I was given two bottles of whiskey a good 10 years ago that I just rediscovered in the back of a pantry.

If they aren't exposed to light, eternity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some of the bottles of scotch Shackleton left in the arctic were recreated for modern production (it's pretty good scotch) because buried in the snow, they had remained perfectly like they were when he bought them. They just used a syringe to extract it through the cork into a glass and blenders recreated the flavor profile.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Carillon posted:

Sorry should it be by weight or should it be by volume :)

If you're using big crystals of sugar they don't pack into a volume as tightly as fully granulated. I think if you're going for 2:1 syrup and you have any doubt you can weigh the 2:1 ratio instead.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Anyone have opinions on Ararat brandy? I got a bottle of the 5 year for $20 and have made a couple sidecars with it, seems decent but I haven’t tried many brandys. It’s a bit hot for sipping but I’d expect that for the price.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had a bottle of it once, thinking it would be similar to Georgian chacha. It was not

It was pretty good though. I'd get another

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've been gross sick for over a week. Give me your cocktail recipes that include my son's orange pedialyte please and thank you

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

I've been gross sick for over a week. Give me your cocktail recipes that include my son's orange pedialyte please and thank you

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BrianBoitano posted:

2 oz orange pedialyte
1 oz pineapple juice
.5 oz lime juice
.5 oz orgeat
2 oz light rum

Garnish with mint

I call it a My Tyke

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 28, 2022

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Ive always done simple syrup by volume and not had any pronøems. My current bottle was done by weight and its so viscous i can barely get it out of the (refrigerated) bottle. This is a 2:1 white sugar syrup.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Bourbon will help heal you

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

drat, super juice is a game changer. I’ll never want for lime juice again. It’ll take a little experience to figure out how to substitute it for fresh lime though, as it’s a little more tart.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Tone down the amount of acid you add?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’m eating 3 large spam musubis, two fried eggs and drinking a light and fruity Mai Tai. This is heaven.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I thought calvados would sub for Applejack.

I thought wrong.

Is it supposed to have a weird sour funk, or is that just how it goes? It's borderline undrinkable.

Berneroy VSOP for reference.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Pander posted:

I thought wrong.

Is it supposed to have a weird sour funk, or is that just how it goes? It's borderline undrinkable.

No. It should pretty much taste like a drier applejuice.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Pander posted:

I thought wrong.

That's the particular taste of Berneroy. I keep it on hand because I like it. Calvados has a lot of variation, just like cider. If Berneroy isn't for you, try another one!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I usually get Morin Calvados. I would rate it higher than domestic apple spirit easily and it's not that high end. Don't give up on the category.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I just bought a bottle of Daron calvados yesterday on a whim. Any good?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Daron is good! Nice in cocktails, though it can get lost of you're mixing with amari and other heavy duty flavorings.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Daron is good! Nice in cocktails, though it can get lost of you're mixing with amari and other heavy duty flavorings.

Awesome, glad I lucked out. There's between 0 and 2 choices for most relatively uncommon stuff like calvados at even the nicest liquor stores here so I just kind of pick stuff by vibe when buying stuff to expand my cocktail options :v:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Comb Your Beard posted:

I usually get Morin Calvados. I would rate it higher than domestic apple spirit easily and it's not that high end. Don't give up on the category.

The cocktail I invented works perfectly with Lairds BiB

1.5 oz Laird's BiB
0.75 oz Amaro (I use Torino)
0.5 oz dry vermouth (Dolin)
0.25 oz Douglas Fir Liqueuer (BroVo)
a few dashes of bitter housewife Jerry Thomas bitters (kinda smells like sassafrass bitters)
stir, pour, garnish with grated nutmeg

Balanced, tastes like fall.

The Berneroy subbed in for Laird's made it taste like poo poo.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

I just bought a bottle of Daron calvados yesterday on a whim. Any good?

Ehhhhhh, it's very one-note. I would consider it a cocktail calvados at best.

Calvados distribution is very sporadic and scattered. It's hard to recommend one without knowing what's in the area, but the good ones I see around regularly are Domaine Dupont, Busnel, and Christian Drouin

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Fart Car '97 posted:

Ehhhhhh, it's very one-note. I would consider it a cocktail calvados at best.

Calvados distribution is very sporadic and scattered. It's hard to recommend one without knowing what's in the area, but the good ones I see around regularly are Domaine Dupont, Busnel, and Christian Drouin

I plan on using it for cocktails so that's fine. I'll look for those others next time I'm there although it'll probably be a few months. IIRC there was only one other besides Daron but I can't remember what it was.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Those that use super juice at home but still try to how to retard the relatively lower oxidation with freezing: how do you do it? I originally filled up two big regular ice trays and one real small shallow one. But it's hard to fit the big ice trays into my squeeze bottles. I think if I do it again I'm just gonna freeze all the batch in a deli container + the little tray and then put a lot more at a time into the squeeze bottle. It thaws really fast I don't think more freeze or thaws over time will degrade it.

Also the Kevin Kos/Dave Arnold acid ratio is good I think. I shouldn't have halved the water amount though. It's tart!

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 6, 2022

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

Got it today, tried it, don't like it. Same odd funk at the end, especially compared to the American Applejack's I've had. I wonder if it's the French oak they use?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pander posted:

I wonder if it's the French oak they use?

Nah there are definitely producers that aim for a kind of barnyard rustic funk to their calvados

Strong recommendation for LeCompte / Dupont for a more refined/cleaner calvados that has a ton more depth than just "apples"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

This is my favorite, just delicious. I got a few bottles at the distillery but I’ve never seen it retail. Looks like you can find it online though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Also gonna chime in one last time with: Calvados is expensive, especially in the trump tarif & COVID world. They don't make a ton of it, french oak is expensive and they're fighting with Cognac which has seen big sales increases in the last few decades for supplies of wood. If you want good calvados you're gonna be shelling out $$$ for it. Entry price for a 12 year old is gonna be in the $100 range.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah it’s pretty brutal, and usually your selection in a U.S. wine/specialty liquor store will be some random calva you can’t tell what it is and an 8 year for $65. I get out to Normandy every couple years and stock up when I can. It’s even worse for pommeau, the one time I found some it was very disappointing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah there were a few bottles going for $100+, didn't realize there'd be such a gap in quality between the light price point stuff and the Actually Good Stuff. Like $100 Scotch is great, but $30 bottles are at least still very drinkable. The calvaldos I've gotten has been unpalatable so far.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A lot of it depends on what you like, too. If you like the base flavor/prime characteristic of something, I think you'll be more open to the different ranges.

At the moment, I'm sipping on an Evan Williams Bottled in Bond ($18 bottle) and thoroughly enjoying it. But some people might not dig it because it's "just a basic bourbon".

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Talk poo poo on Evan Williams at your own risk

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Exam Williams bonded is the best loving poo poo. It is unbelievably good for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah people don't respect that bourbon enough.

Calvados isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you like it you like it. I like all the funky and weird tastes that come from it, but I also like all those weird scrumpy ciders.