Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Sagebrush posted:

Proto-humans used to kill and eat each other too. We outgrew it when we became civilized. What horror is there in the Kevin and Kell world where these animals can have cars and computers and everything but still think that murdering and eating each other for sustenance is just how society has to work? How did they miss that particular turn?
[sighs] Okay, so here's how Kevin and Kell works:
Mankind makes the world uninhabitable through massive ecological damage and war and proceeds to abandon Earth to take to the stars.
Birds are the only surviving species left on Earth and use abandoned human technology to bootstrap their intelligence even further.
Birds invent time travel and go back in time to form the bird conspiracy, where using futuristic technology they ensure mankind never evolves to dominance and they uplift pretty much every other species with some wide exceptions (most insects, other species inconsistently).
The birds ensure that civilization grows and exists, using an invisible iron hand to disappear people who cotton on to what they're doing and have them work for them while guiding things so that the majority of civilization goes the ways human (read: American) civilization did but with animals in charge of reality.
The birds also ensure that the predator/prey dichotomy is enforced and also your diet plays an important part in societal culture because they don't want to tamper too much for some reason, they basically just install an institutional divide between diets and "roles" played in nature that will never be based on real nature but just comedic stereotype.
Civilization works out a system for how to keep carnivores fed, which basically boils down to an institutional system of harvesting meat from the dead but said dead basically have to be strangers or people the carnivore doesn't know because otherwise it's murder.
The metaphors don't work even for a second because Kevin and Kell finding love is basically treated like either queer or interracial or queer interracial marriage depending on how you look at it mixed with cartoon genetics and things only get more complicated from here because Holbrook doesn't like to actually weigh his metaphors. He is at least nominally liberal/progressive and on the right side of history with the opinion of "love is love, being trans is fine, be queer, etc" with his attempts to make metaphorical points but does not really consider the stacking and layering of ideas in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

things are metaphors until they aren't and then they can be metaphors again but sometimes the metaphor is different or multiple things at once until they arent

holbrook is king of "does not think anything through"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

rannum posted:

things are metaphors until they aren't and then they can be metaphors again but sometimes the metaphor is different or multiple things at once until they arent

holbrook is king of "does not think anything through"

So Holbrook and Ishida went to the same cartooning school.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

They are obviously criminals even though they are not committing crimes how?

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MariusLecter posted:

Maybe I'm broken but I can't find the charming and open-minded reading of this. Help me out?

The kids are fighting over a girl while the bigoted adult doesn't recognize it.

Edit: I mean, charming relatively speaking.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 1, 2022

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

So does this sidewalk just loop around a small piece of fencing for a reason?

Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 1, 2022

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Murdstone posted:

They are obviously criminals even though they are not committing crimes how?

He has seen one of them attempting crimes before and they have been talking about crimes they would like to commit in the future. I admit Mr Sweeper is far from the sharpest tool in the closet but I think this level of deduction is within his abilities.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

NRVNQSR posted:

He has seen one of them attempting crimes before and they have been talking about crimes they would like to commit in the future. I admit Mr Sweeper is far from the sharpest tool in the closet but I think this level of deduction is within his abilities.

To be fair, Street Sweeper didn't see him breaking into any cars. He was trying the door handle, and muttering about people being more careful and locking their doors all the time these days. It's unclear whether the Street Sweeper heard him. The Narrator certainly did.

I'm not actually certain whether the act of trying to open a car door that isn't yours is illegal, if you don't actually manage to open the door, or damage the car. That said, fighting crime legally is usually low on the priority list of the typical masked vigilante.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A Sketchy Life for April 29, 1926.

Double dip of Don Herold:

What's becoming a weekly trip to Hell with Art Young:

Another unfamiliar signature I'm struggling with....Chester L. Gardt?

And one artist who didn't sign his work at all this week, although the style looks very familiar.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Beer is good: official

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

End of chapter!

Monya the Grey

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What a smile...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
*gripping monitor and yelling at the comic like the characters can hear me* DOROTHY YOU CAN'T GOOOO

Jucika "188 - Jucika Out Of The Line"

"189 - Jucika Goes To A Fashion Show"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I laughed at this

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

EasyEW posted:

Another unfamiliar signature I'm struggling with....Chester L. Gardt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf70ihqbDdw

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

It is morally wrong to date or kiss a guy if you do not intend to marry him.

Luann posted:

Dates are for SLUTS who aren't doing abstem...absterm....abstinence!
Kissing is for the ultra sluts.
Marriage is still a little slutty, but god will begrudgingly turn his gaze aside in disgust long enough for you to gently caress through a hole in a bedsheet.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (May 4, 1975)

I like this one but I couldn’t tell you why

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

End of chapter!

I've learned that you shouldn't take drugs to escape from reality! Now let's all get drunk!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Spring Special posting tonight since I might be busy tomorrow

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Lottie was, of course, under house arrest in Wicked Things. Her opportunities to go to the Ivy were limited. Now they are only limited by the cost of eating at the Ivy, a little beyond Lottie and Claire’s small pockets.

This comic is not sponsored by the Ivy. I have never been to the Ivy. I’m not sure why it’s the only restaurant in London I can think of. There are at least two dozen restaurants in the capital (if you include Five Guys and Garfunkels).

Also if you go to the Forward Slash Scare site it looks like Allison has the second part of this special, the "Autumn" Solver Special, ready to start in mid-june, after another run of Steeple

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 8/28/48
This is going to end with Ronnie going back to Ann and her continuing to write for him, and that being treated as a good and happy ending, isn't it?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Kevin and Kell is low key the most horrifying comic strip I've ever seen. I was already pretty disturbed by the idea of these sentient beings hunting and eating each other in what is otherwise a civilized society, but I just caught on to what the "herd thinners" are. Jesus Christ

E: it's some kind of sex thing for Holbrook isn't it

This isn’t aimed at Sagebrush in particular, but why are you reading this trash? Kevin and Kell is posted by multiple users, in giant chunks from different dates, read avidly, discussed and reposted endlessly, and the complicated lore dissected more than any other strip. And despite that, all of you are in firm agreement that it is loathsome and you can’t fathom why anyone would enjoy it, even as you all chatter about how loathsome it is. So why are you reading it and discussing it so much? I think at least some of you genuinely enjoy this disturbing strip or you wouldn’t obsess over it so much. Perhaps you should start a dedicated Holbrook thread about animals eating each other instead of constantly ruining this thread. Maybe you would have fun there. I know I would enjoy it if I never had to speedscroll whole pages of Kevin and Kell horror every day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Keep Holbrook here. I hateread it but at least it is fun hatereading.

Unlike say old Nancy.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tiggum posted:

This is going to end with Ronnie going back to Ann and her continuing to write for him, and that being treated as a good and happy ending, isn't it?

If my theory that almost every character in Brenda Starr is a sociopath holds, then yes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

don Jaime posted:

This isn’t aimed at Sagebrush in particular, but why are you reading this trash? Kevin and Kell is posted by multiple users, in giant chunks from different dates, read avidly, discussed and reposted endlessly, and the complicated lore dissected more than any other strip. And despite that, all of you are in firm agreement that it is loathsome and you can’t fathom why anyone would enjoy it, even as you all chatter about how loathsome it is. So why are you reading it and discussing it so much? I think at least some of you genuinely enjoy this disturbing strip or you wouldn’t obsess over it so much. Perhaps you should start a dedicated Holbrook thread about animals eating each other instead of constantly ruining this thread. Maybe you would have fun there. I know I would enjoy it if I never had to speedscroll whole pages of Kevin and Kell horror every day.

Terrible strips have a place here. So do boring strips. And excellent strips. And obscure strips, and famous strips, and foreign-language strips (which posters often put lots of effort into translating for us). And beloved classics, and dusty old forgotten strips from the last century-plus.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

Unlike say old Nancy.
Please refine your Nancy era terminology.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
you're posting on SA and have done so since 2004, op

i don't know what to tell you

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bushmiller Nancy is perfection.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Alright, I’ll post it a few hours early :kimchi:

Nancy 1947

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

riderchop posted:

you're posting on SA and have done so since 2004, op

i don't know what to tell you

Do you like Kevin and Kell? Or is it a hateread like this guy?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Or do you read it because it's so stupid it's funny to you? Or do you hate it and want to expose it as trash, the way the thread treated 9 Chickweed Lane? Or do you genuinely like Animals Eating Each Other: The Comic Strip and have to talk around everyone else who doesn't?

Again, this is not an attack on anyone, but why the obsession? I don't really expect to win against "just post" but if it's this hated, why so much discussion? And so many reposts? I'm tired of seeing the most discussion of any strip wasted on this awful thing everyone seems to hate.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

manero posted:

Alright, I’ll post it a few hours early :kimchi:

Nancy 1947

Someone can do the Judge Dredd edit.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Shadow Feb 13-15, 1941

Oh, ok.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I genuinely enjoy Kevin and Kell and the discussion about its hellworld minutiae. What's your problem?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I find the setting fascinating in the way a particularly grisly car crash is fascinating. Safe Havens, on the other hand, is rapidly beginning to drive me homicidal.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I find the setting fascinating in the way a particularly grisly car crash is fascinating. Safe Havens, on the other hand, is rapidly beginning to drive me homicidal.

Plus, this thread has like a 15-year history of hatereading strips and dissecting them!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah I actively loving hate Havens and Fastrack. I don't like K&K but I am still posting it because Mikl had to stop due to Life Reasons for one simple reason: I know what it looks like in the modern era but not in the transitory period, and I have repeatedly in the past seen this strip and said this strip is just pregnancy melodrama bait because he likes to have pregnancies happen and poo poo and melodrama is easy to write and easy to write badly. I wish to see the whole elephant to get a feel for it, even if it sucks and even if I am watching the jengajam of bad metaphors build themselves out of mud and twine. Also it legitimately does not make me nearly as angry because it's not really set in the "real world" as opposed to his other works where I just want someone to shoot Mrs. Trellis because she's a nightmare authoritarian who exploits her workers and this is all treated with "well, this is what you shouldn't do, and Dethany knows it!" without changing anything or making a point/message beyond "yep! That's the comic!"

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

don Jaime posted:

Do you like Kevin and Kell?

no but i don't hate it, it's no Oh Baby! or Intelligent Life

Hostile V posted:

Yeah I actively loving hate Havens and Fastrack. I don't like K&K but I am still posting it because Mikl had to stop due to Life Reasons for one simple reason: I know what it looks like in the modern era but not in the transitory period, and I have repeatedly in the past seen this strip and said this strip is just pregnancy melodrama bait because he likes to have pregnancies happen and poo poo and melodrama is easy to write and easy to write badly. I wish to see the whole elephant to get a feel for it, even if it sucks and even if I am watching the jengajam of bad metaphors build themselves out of mud and twine. Also it legitimately does not make me nearly as angry because it's not really set in the "real world" as opposed to his other works where I just want someone to shoot Mrs. Trellis because she's a nightmare authoritarian who exploits her workers and this is all treated with "well, this is what you shouldn't do, and Dethany knows it!" without changing anything or making a point/message beyond "yep! That's the comic!"

yeah i like to read the discussions it spawns and also want mrs trellis to be incinerated

also the personal amount of work i have to do to post Fastrack and Safe Havens (and foob and etc) is extremely low with the script Powered Descent hooked us up with

that's not to say that it's only here because i am posting it, i'm sure someone else would take up the mantle

we all love to post and read posts

the only reason we stopped posting 9CL was it got legitimately uncomfortable with the introduction of the babies who loved to peep on their parents loving

we missed out on a really bad world war 2 flashback arc and a really bad "what defines a woman/man" week

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you mean we missed out on a second really bad world war 2 flashback arc.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Ghostlight posted:

you mean we missed out on a second really bad world war 2 flashback arc.

thorax defeated the nazis by being soooo random and wacky and hot and he hosed a british secret agent lady

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Safe Havens is fascinating for many of the same reasons as K+K; it's a world that should operate on fundamentally different moral premises due to some massive changes in society but Holbrook is too lazy so he just has it be "today, but with protagonist centered morality"

i'm interested in the outcomes of bird-conspiracy-hellworld as much as i am where the planet is ruled by an immortal shapechanging god-queen who just acts like a normal grad student

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I like Kevin and Kell because I have a soft spot for complex, long-running webcomics with large casts and baffling yet internally consistent worldbuilding. Safe Havens and Fastrack just aren't good imo, but K&K is at least interesting in that it feels like it's the most thought-out and high effort of Holbrook's comics, despite being the newest by a longshot.

Dustin I'm having a hard time even hatereading because it's not even clever in how clearly awful the writer's depictions of everyone is. Luann I can hateread because the glimpse into the minds of a puritanical american evangelical nutjob couple through a syndicated comic strip is a fascinating thing to experience. Foob is interesting to hateread because it is so plainly about how lovely of a mother Lynn Johnston is and yet she continues to believe that she was an excellent parent and everyone else around her was a problem.

The bar for comics here is pretty low but at the same time we've only ever really collectively agreed that a comic was so heinous we needed to stop posting it once, and that's because the author was writing storylines glorifying gay conversion therapy and exhibitionism in front of toddlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
also dilbert