Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

Rome did not have robots, fuckwit

i spent a while searching for the robot character submission, deep in the archives of 2003-era TG. i distinctly remember a sentient toaster

only found that. no joy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Time_pants posted:

I think it's hilarious looking back how Xanatos was portrayed as the most dangerous and evil mastermind in the series because he used his vast wealth and influence to sometimes dress up in a robotic combat suit and engage in the occasional act of antiquities theft. Looking back on it now, doesn't that seem positively quaint? That, back in the 90s, the most despicable thing a billionaire could get up to was having a punch-up with a half-dozen mythological beasts over a magical book? We sat in our living rooms going, "Hit him again, Broadway! Dammit, he's the real monster here!"

Whereas now, I look at it and think, "It seems like he offers employees a pretty good benefits package and pays well over the market average." I'm not saying that he's a nice guy or anything, but 1) he paid to fix the collateral damage he caused, 2) he actually served the entirety of his prison sentence behind bars, and 3) he was only responsible for two genuinely heinous genetic experiments--only one of which was performed on a human being. I'm just saying, between David Xanatos and Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, and Elon Musk, I don't think the guy with ponytail is the one we gotta worry about.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

SiKboy posted:

Stop trying to gatekeep clownness, its not up to you to decide who is clown enough.

There's classes and a registration process. You have to trademark your face make up and- no, no I'm 12 days laye but I'm here goddammit

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

objection: everyone who watched that show loved xanatos

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

All Jonathan Frakes characters are good, except for that psycho from criminal minds

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody post the "I know Jack Kennedy and you are no jack kennedy" of clownness.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, he was a great villain, but never a "dangerous and evil" villain.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

His assistant was a badass too.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i dimly remember an episode where he used a time machine to help out a templar knight and get a ring as a gift of gratitude so he could show up at an illuminati party in the present and be like "how's THIS for an invitation"

e:

Zil posted:

His assistant was a badass too.

that guy turned out to be puck, like the faerie puck from Shakespeare lol

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Doc Hawkins posted:

i dimly remember an episode where he used a time machine to help out a templar knight and get a ring as a gift of gratitude so he could show up at an illuminati party in the present and be like "how's THIS for an invitation"

e:

that guy turned out to be puck, like the faerie puck from Shakespeare lol

ISTR at the end of that same ep Xanatos used that same time machine to make a brief stopover in his youth to give his younger self the seed money to become a gazillionaire so he could rub in his working-class dad's face that he'd turned out to be a "self-made man" after all.

What an amazing rear end in a top hat move that was.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemniscate Blue posted:

ISTR at the end of that same ep Xanatos used that same time machine to make a brief stopover in his youth to give his younger self the seed money to become a gazillionaire so he could rub in his working-class dad's face that he'd turned out to be a "self-made man" after all.

What an amazing rear end in a top hat move that was.
All You Trust Fund Babies

One of my favourite bits of gargoyles was to be censor friendly every criminal in Manhattan needed to be armed with shiny light guns. So a first season episode involves them accidentally dumping thousands of experimental particle beam weapons into general circulation (the laser is just for aiming).

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Splicer posted:

All You Trust Fund Babies

One of my favourite bits of gargoyles was to be censor friendly every criminal in Manhattan needed to be armed with shiny light guns. So a first season episode involves them accidentally dumping thousands of experimental particle beam weapons into general circulation (the laser is just for aiming).

Which is doubly amazing given that another early Very Special Episode had one of the "kid" gargoyles get obsessed with movies and play cowboy with another character's police-issue pistol, accidentally shooting her and landing her in the hospital/rehab for several episodes afterwards.

You didn't see that in any other after-school cartoons.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The gargoyles were coded as African American so it was a very hamfisted 90s way of addressing gun violence in urban families post crack epidemic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not sure you can call something hamfisted if no one got it

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.google.com/amp/s/blacknerdproblems.com/gargoyles-was-the-most-important-cartoon-of-my-pre-intellectual-black-childhood/amp/

Everybody knew the gargoyles were black

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I read that article and it’s a really nice one but I have no idea what it has to do with what your saying

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gargoyles was definitely more willing to approach adult themes and heavier subject matter than every other cartoon out there but it never dealt with something 9 year old me always wondered: during sexual intercourse between Goliath and Elisa did they ever do it at dawn so Goliath stays rock hard and is trapped inside of her so she has to go to work while trying to disguise the fact there is a 7 foot stone gargoyle with it’s penis inside of her all day? Did she toss a blanket over him or what?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Trying to figure out a calm.jpg + more like oldxless juxtaposition for this one and falling down

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

More like coldpenis

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oldpainless posted:

Gargoyles was definitely more willing to approach adult themes and heavier subject matter than every other cartoon out there but it never dealt with something 9 year old me always wondered: during sexual intercourse between Goliath and Elisa did they ever do it at dawn so Goliath stays rock hard and is trapped inside of her
This only works if it's assumed Gargoyles have some form of knotting situation. In my Gargoyles Omegaverse 17 part magnum opus I

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

oldpainless posted:

Gargoyles was definitely more willing to approach adult themes and heavier subject matter than every other cartoon out there but it never dealt with something 9 year old me always wondered: during sexual intercourse between Goliath and Elisa did they ever do it at dawn so Goliath stays rock hard and is trapped inside of her so she has to go to work while trying to disguise the fact there is a 7 foot stone gargoyle with it’s penis inside of her all day? Did she toss a blanket over him or what?

Couldn't she just like slide right off? Wouldn't be pleasant I imagine depending on what the surface of his stony exterior is like, but don't think she is stuck for the rest of the day.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
there are different types of rocks. they may not fit your smooth stereotype there skippy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If, for some reason, this were occur, the bigger issue would be that when gargoyles turn back into meats they shed stone bits from everywhere.

From. Everywhere.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 20:26 on May 1, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CharlestheHammer posted:

I read that article and it’s a really nice one but I have no idea what it has to do with what your saying

Shbobd

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Splicer posted:

If, for some reason, this were occur, the bigger issue would be that when gargoyles turn back into meats they shed stone bits from everywhere.

From. Everywhere.

This is where rocks come from. If you've ever touched a rock you may have touched a gargoyle's dick. Sorry

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gun violence pre-Columbine was framed as a black issue in media. I could post some videos of Hillary Clinton talking about it if that would help?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Zil posted:

Couldn't she just like slide right off? Wouldn't be pleasant I imagine depending on what the surface of his stony exterior is like, but don't think she is stuck for the rest of the day.

Have you even seen the show?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Gun violence pre-Columbine was framed as a black issue in media. I could post some videos of Hillary Clinton talking about it if that would help?

This.

I'm old enough to remember when gun violence in the media always contained the words "hip-hop" and "urban". Then Columbine opened Pandora's Box on mass shooters as celebrities, and now we're in the loop of "yeah but mass shooters" and "yeah but Chicago" where gun violence is a team sport because we're all dead and when you die a sinner you go to America.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Columbine was a mass shooting by a couple of Hitler-loving white nationalists, and we could have had a long-overdue conversation about white nationalism and the threat it poses, but instead the media latched on to the bullying narrative and every loner kid who got picked on and listened to heavy metal got treated like a potential mass shooter.

Harris and Klebold weren't bullied, they were bullies. Don't get me wrong, we as a society needed to talk about bullying instead of dismissing it as just kids being kids, but Columbine and the whole bad-faith "bullied kids might snap and kill a bunch of people" framing was the wrong loving way to go about it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

venus de lmao posted:

Columbine was a mass shooting by a couple of Hitler-loving white nationalists, and we could have had a long-overdue conversation about white nationalism and the threat it poses, but instead the media latched on to the bullying narrative and every loner kid who got picked on and listened to heavy metal got treated like a potential mass shooter.

Harris and Klebold weren't bullied, they were bullies. Don't get me wrong, we as a society needed to talk about bullying instead of dismissing it as just kids being kids, but Columbine and the whole bad-faith "bullied kids might snap and kill a bunch of people" framing was the wrong loving way to go about it.

Columbine become patient zero for the early Q level conspiracy stuff to circulate like crazy in terms of rumors and gossip.

There was tons of "they loved Marylin Manson" they didn't have any of his music

They trained in Doom Levels- they had a website that hosted custom Doom maps, that was it

The trench=coat mafia thing, wasn't a thing, made up by the media.

Christian groups loving loved praising the girl who stood up and refused to denounce Christ so they executed her, never happened.

It was really a weird situation that sparked off them wanting to basically become famous as murderers, they had planned to blow up a bunch of stuff with pipe bombs and poo poo. Their goal was to exceed the Oklahoma City bombings, so you can pretty much draw a straight line from their desire to their motivations of right wing milita poo poo. It's crazy to realize that the two of them spent 4 years basically committing crimes and submitting class writing assignments where they basically describe shooting up the school and no one bothered to take it seriously.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There’s enough evidence (and it was extremely common at the time) that Dylan Harris did make a Doom map of the high school. Calling playing Doom “training” for anything irl is the kind of absurdity only teenagers and pundits can go for though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Shoulda tried out for varsity ball if you can outrun rockets

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Say what you will about Harris and Klebold but at least they managed to stop Harris and Klebold

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Arivia posted:

There’s enough evidence (and it was extremely common at the time) that Dylan Harris did make a Doom map of the high school. Calling playing Doom “training” for anything irl is the kind of absurdity only teenagers and pundits can go for though.

Yeah, DooM is only good for modeling your bathroom.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

first one for me, lol

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

In a post-credits sequence, Doctor Strange falls into a dumpster outside an erotic bakery

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Say what you will about Harris and Klebold but at least they managed to stop Harris and Klebold

More like oldthoughtless

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arivia posted:

I made a DOOM map of the McDonalds I worked in at the time because DOOM mapping is fun and easy and also I loving hated that job.

I wasn't about to go on a shooting spree irl though, that's what the DOOM map was for.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I made a DOOM map of the McDonalds I worked in at the time because DOOM mapping is fun and easy and also I loving hated that job.

I wasn't about to go on a shooting spree irl though, that's what the DOOM map was for.

Yeah, those map makers back then were easy as hell to use. We used to make maps of our school and local swimming pool in Duke Nukem 3D, complete with sneaky lil secrets in the rooms we never got into in real life. :allears:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I never made doom maps specifically, but when I was a kid i'd often recreate real places, such as my school, in videogames and ttrpgs. easiest way to design something realistic is just copy something that's actually real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Did the same with Bungie's map editor for Marathon; it was really neat figuring out how to get rooms connected

There was a really interesting Duke3d map that was four square rooms that "overlapped" and a square loop around them that connected to each room via one side, so as you ran around the loop you'd have access to a different room depending on which side of the square you were on

It might have been even more complex where each square also had an exit on each side, so there were four "loops" on the outside? Think the corners had teleporters too. It was wild

stringless has a new favorite as of 08:23 on May 2, 2022