Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo

Stevie Lee posted:

okay people we all need to order some of this certified plastic negative product and little by little we can unpollute the bios-

oh...

wonder what the tape on that box is made of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

The Ends of the World is such a good loving book. The whole permian extinction chapter and the CO2 levels in relation to our current situation maximum crack pinged me.

just bought it

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kyojin posted:

This verdant planet has been made into a plastic tomb lol

:peanut::peanut::peanut:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Colonel Cancer posted:

Being a self aware extinction event owns lol

the riddle of history solved.

Oxxidation posted:

there's a certain line of discourse that goes on about how pre-capitalist societies weren't capable of this kind of devastation but when you mention the megafauna extinctions they just kind of tug their collars and cough into their fists

our nature didn't change, just our capability

yeah the tendency here is to try to flee to a past garden of eden, where noble savages didn't do this kinda thing. but the truth is we were always going to invent capitalism if we survived, and once you're doing capitalism you can't not be an extinction event - unless you manage to stop and do something else.

the big difference is pre-capitalism we could only do local overshoot dieoffs. a lot of cool poo poo died in the pleistocene overkill, but it hardly threatened the continuation of life itself.

now that we're doing a big boy grownup extinction event, we gonna kill everything.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

emTme3 posted:

I just did a bunch of acid and crack-pinged to a whole new dimension.

It turns out that now, when we live, there is a collective 'i am a sentient extinction event' emergent consciousness that can be...accessed. It's a level of self-understanding that is totally dehumanizing and depersonalizing, and I'm pretty sure anybody who can handle it and has done their homework can access at will. It couldn't have existed until recently, because it was only recently possible that a sapient extinction event was able to cognize itself as a sapient mass extinction. It's probably the final mutation of Hegel's geist.

Everything becomes incredibly hilarious and what you thought of as your individual identity gets kind of irretrievably shredded. But it's a consciousness that's just kind of standing there, available to be accessed at any time to anybody who notices. You can kinda move into and back out of it deliberately. You can experience yourself and your life as a mass extinction event in a way that's like, the apotheosis of human self-understanding, but is also decidedly 100% post-human.

It is like having cthuluesque demon peering through your own skull. Post-human consciousness is here motherfuckers goddamn holy gently caress.

Every once in a while I 'member this post and sigh with contentment

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i love my dead gay planet

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

emTme3 posted:

I just did a bunch of acid and crack-pinged to a whole new dimension.

It turns out that now, when we live, there is a collective 'i am a sentient extinction event' emergent consciousness that can be...accessed. It's a level of self-understanding that is totally dehumanizing and depersonalizing, and I'm pretty sure anybody who can handle it and has done their homework can access at will. It couldn't have existed until recently, because it was only recently possible that a sapient extinction event was able to cognize itself as a sapient mass extinction. It's probably the final mutation of Hegel's geist.

Everything becomes incredibly hilarious and what you thought of as your individual identity gets kind of irretrievably shredded. But it's a consciousness that's just kind of standing there, available to be accessed at any time to anybody who notices. You can kinda move into and back out of it deliberately. You can experience yourself and your life as a mass extinction event in a way that's like, the apotheosis of human self-understanding, but is also decidedly 100% post-human.

It is like having cthuluesque demon peering through your own skull. Post-human consciousness is here motherfuckers goddamn holy gently caress.

it’s called filling our brains with microplastics, op

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv68Kivrl5g

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Complications posted:

Also, Florida now has an insurance crisis.

I loving wish it was 30-50% rate increases - that's if your insurance plan still exists. when they say "gently caress this, nope, we're out, we don't cover florida anymore." the choices you're presented with are routinely 2x-3x the cost.

there's a big scam that the courts allowed where you could force insurance to pay for a new roof despite not having any damage. so naturally there's a bunch of shoddy, badly redone roofs in florida that transferred billions of dollars into contractors (and lawyers! mostly lawyers.) hands.

this means your house has an insurable life of 10 years. after 10 years you have to pay to replace your roof or you can't get insurance. guess how old the place i bought three years ago is?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Don't
Don't you worry
About the atmosphere
Or any sudden pressure change
'Cause I know
That it's starting
To get warm in here
And things are
Starting to get strange
And did you
Did you see how
All our friends were there
And drinkin' roses from the can
And how
How I wish I
I had talked to them
And wished they
Fit into the plan
And we were tired of being mild
We're so tired of being mild
And we were tired
I know we're gonna meet someday
In the crumbled financial institutions of this land
There will be tables and chairs
There will be pony rides and dancing bears
There'll even be a band
'Cause listen after the fall there'll be no more countries
No currencies at all
We're gonna live on our wits
We're gonna throw away survival kits
Trade butterfly knives for adderall

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 00:22 on May 2, 2022

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

THANKS OBAMA

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Laterite posted:

i love my dead gay planet

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lol microplastics, my generation is so dumb they had to ban toys in Cadbury eggs. I crave metaplastics.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Rip Testes posted:

Better than lowering the pipe, it seems they spent $1.5B on a backup plan to drain the lake?

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/las-vegas-turns-on-low-level-lake-mead-pumps-designed-to-avoid-a-day-zero

I feel like the goalposts on 'water secure' have experienced a tectonic shift.

they have the deepest straw and as such when it's below the level of all other straws, all incoming water goes only to them.

so yeah, as far as vegas is concerned they're fine because they get 100% of the water once nobody else can, and they only need like 5%. So barring blasting a new spillway below 850', they're good.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

everything is terrible and sad lol

lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shifty Nipples posted:

lmao

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Shifty Nipples posted:

lmao

I feel so bad for young kids. I'm not super old, but at least I grew up in a time where there were still bugs and we didn't know everything was ending

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

T-Paine posted:

I feel so bad for young kids. I'm not super old, but at least I grew up in a time where there were still bugs and we didn't know everything was ending

they never knew when it was better so we’re the real victims here

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

mawarannahr posted:

they never knew when it was better so we’re the real victims here

There's a great bit in The Once and Future World by JB MacKinnon about how each generation sees the world of its youth as the baseline so they're blind to the degradation that had already happened by the time they were born. Sort of like how 1.5C was the disaster zone but when we realized we're going way past that, it became 2.5C

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

mawarannahr posted:

maybe if the company buying entire Miele washing machines for one tiny microcontroller then scrap doesn’t buy that for a similar purpose

the what now?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Being a self aware extinction event owns lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harik posted:

the what now?

quote:

Anyone who has tried to buy a car or home appliance lately knows the chip shortage is still pretty bad. But it has become so dire that large industrial companies are buying washing machines in order to rip out the chips and repurpose them, according to ASML CEO Peter Wennink.

“Now, we could say that’s an anecdote,” he said on the company’s earnings call Wednesday. “But to be honest, it happens everywhere — it is 15-, 20-, 25-year-old semiconductor technology that is now being used everywhere.”

Wennink said that internet of things is likely driving the demand for these older chips found inside home appliances.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Chamale posted:

Indigenous peoples of North America were careful to avoid overhunting - that likely had something to do with avoiding conditions like the horrific famine that hit the Mississippi nations due to overhunting and soil depletion in the 14th century.

My little brother got into Paleo hunting a few years back and would film these hunts where a bunch of guys would go into the woods and basically just run down a deer or elk. It still blows my mind that a reasonably in shape human, not even a super athlete, can start jogging after an elk and, if they have around 24 hours to spare and some fortitude, the elk will collapse before the human will.

Humans are just wonderfully effective predators even without the whole industrial revolution or capitalism thing.

That said, I wouldn't consider the modern native Americans ( or the Clovis people) particularly "careful" but they had reached an equilibrium with the bison, deer, and antelope that remained. Natural systems always seek equilibrium and we are steaming towards some new equilibrium now and boy howdy will it probably not involve a lot of species that exist today (and also probably far fewer humans).

Too bad we are lifetimes from said equilibria and us and our children will know only chaos.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

i'm acutely aware of the silicon shortage, as a designer and producer of electronics a huge part of my time has been designing around/substituting parts that don't exist anymore.

i know of the old-electronics recycling industry in poor asian countries, but that's stripping things down for anything of value like pulling a few chips that have a market, melting the copper of the PCB and remaining chips en masse, selling any metal etc.

but buying entire appliances to scavenge one or two chips?! that's a new one to me.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Harik posted:

but buying entire appliances to scavenge one or two chips?! that's a new one to me.

yeah this has always been a thing, if you need a specific chip there's only so many of them out there:
https://www.tampabay.com/archive/2002/05/13/nasa-on-scavenger-hunt-for-obsolete-shuttle-parts/

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

i'm acutely aware of the silicon shortage, as a designer and producer of electronics a huge part of my time has been designing around/substituting parts that don't exist anymore.

i know of the old-electronics recycling industry in poor asian countries, but that's stripping things down for anything of value like pulling a few chips that have a market, melting the copper of the PCB and remaining chips en masse, selling any metal etc.

Certain types of manufacturing can not easily get around requiring specific model numbers of parts very easily.

It sounds like the appliance issue was related to their production output and they needed to turn other cheaper finished goods into components to complete their own. Like buying cheap $20 coffee pots for a specific kind of switch or controller to make a $2,000 oven.

My issue is on the production side. It is more limited in scope since it isn't happening for bulk production units but I currently can not find any source of a very specific dual pole on/off switch used in a dozen motor controllers on a small to medium sized manufacturing line. I just have to buy new motor controllers ($250) instead of the switches ($0.80) because the motor controllers are the only existing source of those very specific switches.

Sure I could just use different motor controllers or rig up a similar sized switch from a different supplier but not easily. It would involve potentially requalifying my entire production line and weeks or months of red tape. Was the switch used to control a conveyor belt? Well every machine and sensor on that length of conveyor depends on the digital percentage power value of that conveyor belt as listed in a half dozen recipes. Did I do my due diligence and prove somehow that a completely different component hasn't changed any related critical parameters like cook time/seal time?

Change isn't quick or easy in manufacturing. I'm sure the company buying entire washers to strip for parts are in the middle of a change control process but that comes with testing the new configurations to verify their operation and qualify the new replacement parts as being both safe and the same at like-for-kind once like-for-like is now impossible.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

should never have left the crystal lake
for areas where trees are fake
and dogs are dead with broken hearts
collapsing by the coffee carts

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

should never have left the crystal lake
for areas where trees are fake
and dogs are dead with broken hearts
collapsing by the coffee carts

I love granddaddy and I guess citations needed is all right with me. it’s a great album for the moment

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

I love granddaddy and I guess citations needed is all right with me. it’s a great album for the moment

:same: tho I haven't given citations needed a listen before, had to look it up just now. maybe I'll check it out sometime

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

:same: tho I haven't given citations needed a listen before, had to look it up just now. maybe I'll check it out sometime

I dont like many podcasts and they're one of the only tolerable types. No bull poo poo fake comedy. Just a topic starting with what ever hot button the media is hammering in and then usually an expert opinion interview to get some more perspectives.

The same folks also do a cool rear end show called blowback and each season covers US war and hostilities. So season 1 is the iraq 1-2 war and season 2 is the USes obsession with startin poo poo with Cuba. There's a 3rd season coming with the Korean war and i'm super excited about that one because that got skimmed over super hard when I was in school so I feel like I dont know poo poo about it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the only 2 bad things about cn is 1 you have to listen to previews of interviews that you are going to hear in the next 20 mins anyway and 2 their patron list is too long at the end

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

Shifty Nipples posted:

lmao

cspam

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Natural systems always seek equilibrium

this is simply not true, there's no inherent state of balance in the ecosystem

e: wiki source

Cloks has issued a correction as of 04:58 on May 2, 2022

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

:hmmyes:

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
Practical Human Wet-Bulb Temperature Resilience Threshold Limit Measured to Be Much Lower than 35 C

im sure its fine

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Cloks posted:

this is simply not true, there's no inherent state of balance in the ecosystem

e: wiki source

That's actually really interesting thanks for posting.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/RARohde/status/1520010731495829504

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

God Hole posted:

you can build one yourself out of sticks and tarp in the backyard if you wanted.

Back what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Minera posted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnsteadyElaborateHoopoe-mobile.mp4

nature is healing! look at that beautiful plastic life :)

all this plastic gathers in certain areas due to ocean currents, no?

this sounds like I’m trying to make that sound like a good thing, but what happens when our currents change due to warming oceans and all of a sudden this plastic all slowly migrates, killing a shitload of stuff in the process?