Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

oh my god it's perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

This is the worst loss.jpg.

but oddly in character for Yor

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Are those two black and gold pointy things on Anya's head horns? Or some kind of weird hairpieces she is using to hide her horns? Has she ever been seen without them?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nebrilos posted:

Are those two black and gold pointy things on Anya's head horns? Or some kind of weird hairpieces she is using to hide her horns? Has she ever been seen without them?

Chapter 1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nebrilos posted:

We've never seen her without them and in early chapters they got sparkles around them when she would read minds so they might have something to do with that.

Or they could just be a cute thing for character design.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

Chapter 1.

I guess she isn't wearing the hairpieces, but it looks like her horns are wrapped in bandages in that picture. (Or is that hair wrapping them?)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The anime took the stance of "it's hair," for the record.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they're basically buns, the wrapping there is all her hair

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Zore posted:

We've never seen her without them and in early chapters they got sparkles around them when she would read minds so they might have something to do with that.

Or they could just be a cute thing for character design.

We get a shot of her without them in Mission 36, although there her replacement hairstyle is so big it might well be covering them.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

they're tonitrus bolts

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

TwoPair posted:

Be sure to pop in every few chapters and tell us who your favorite character is and why it's Daybreak

I'm basically caught up now. I feel like the faves have to be members of the family, it just comes down to how you rank them. For me I'd go with 1: Anya 2: Yor 3: Loid.

I also thought the boat arc was fun, but I feel like Yor's doubt about whether to stay an assassin or not didn't really resolve itself too well. Maybe it's just that I wanted her to really analyze those feelings more deeply and talk to any other character about them.

In general, I'd like to see more school stuff since that's always a fun time.

And as a random thought, my prediction for the ending of the manga is that the target of operation Strix is actually doing tons of work behind the scenes to create a permanent peace between the east and west, and maybe even a unification into one country. He's just making moves that seem shady to do it. So ultimately Loid finally gets great intel on the guy, finds out he's on the side of peace, and like literally a day later a massive peace deal is announced. So all these thoughts from Loid (and Anya from reading Loid's mind) about their mission being vital are just plain wrong, and the day would've been saved if they'd just done nothing at all (at least regarding Strix, Loid's various side spy missions will have presumably been helpful).

That'll lead to a proper love confession between Loid and Yor (if it hasn't happened earlier) and the family just sticking together and living a peaceful life. I think Anya feels comfortable enough to tell her parents that she's a telepath near the end of the manga, and I expect Loid will reveal that he either figured it out at some point or had his suspicions about it. The spy and assassin secrets will remain in place for the entire story though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't buy that at all. I don't think Desmond can turn out to be good given he's been explicitly shown as being horrible to his young son.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Desmond will probably turn out to be working on betraying Ostania and working with corrupt people in Westalis to jump start a war.

This sets up Wise, SSS, and Garden(Though you could easily ally the SSS/Garden with Desmond's betrayal faction, and just have Yor/Yuri find out and leave) to be all on the theoretical same side of wanting to stop the war but no one has complete information.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fangz posted:

I don't buy that at all. I don't think Desmond can turn out to be good given he's been explicitly shown as being horrible to his young son.

He absolutely is a bad dad, but I do think it's possible that the manga will want Damian to have a relatively happy conclusion to his story and that it'll end instead with something like "his dad does love him, but had too high expectation of him because of it" or some poo poo. Not to justify his actions, so much as to justify him changing by the finale so that it doesn't need to end with Desmond dying or something. Which, Desmond turning out to have good intentions regardless of his methods would help. That way, Damian and the Forgers can still confront Desmond with what a poo poo he's been, but he can realize it and they can change him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Desmond specifically says he doesn't think people can ever truly understand eachother and Anya is made to have been passed out from boredom so we can't read his mind. He's probably evil. I could see him being revealed as maybe having some lingering soft spot for his kids but also being a hardass with unrealistic expectations, but that's only because I think it'd be pretty cruel for this series even at it's darkest moments to have Damian or Anya find out he legit doesn't give a poo poo about his kids or something.

Damian being utterly crushed by his dad in front of Anya or Loid seems like something that could happen but I don't think the throughline will be "Desmond is irredeemably evil and doesn't give a single poo poo about his kids". Maybe it'll be a "I'm being evil FOR my kids" thing and it's part of the big ending where Loid/Yor accept they're a proper family and explain where he's wrong.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I mean I think the eventual ending for Damian is most likely that he gets adopted by the Forgers. That will be the happy conclusion to his story.

Desmond turning out to be a ruthless arsehole who sees his kids merely as tools seems the most thematically natural outcome, because it's Loid's starting point, thus setting up a contrast between the two.

Fabricated posted:

I could see him being revealed as maybe having some lingering soft spot for his kids but also being a hardass with unrealistic expectations, but that's only because I think it'd be pretty cruel for this series even at it's darkest moments to have Damian or Anya find out he legit doesn't give a poo poo about his kids or something.

Au contraire, I think that's a sort of moral murkiness that isn't necessarily in fitting with the rest of the story. Maybe Desmond could have a last minute about face What Have I Done thing, but the bad guys in this have all been pretty bad so far, so I think making Desmond really really bad (and as far as the themes of this go, being a jerk to one's children is the very worst) so we can 100% root for Yor and Loid and Anya as they kick his arse seems more like how it will go.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 27, 2022

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We haven't really had any real characterization of any bad guys so far. They're either comic relief or very very very vaguely defined revanchists- the student terrorists get the most development and the biggest lecture but the intentionally super vague backstory of the war between the two countries and what the gently caress anyone is so mad about really kinda hurts it.

I get not wanting to do incredibly direct lifts from contemporary history since that can be insensitive especially given what new concurrent history is being made but it gives the vibe of the big international incident in Little Witch Academia being over soccer. Like... Those terrorists we heard get the good lecture were students- okay? What did them being students mean, and did it inform their radicalization so I can get why they're doing the stuff they do? You don't need much dialog to establish that. I don't need a history primer but if we're not a full on "don't think about it" gag series then you might need to be a bit more direct explaining the central conflict?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Those terrorists we heard get the good lecture were students- okay? What did them being students mean, and did it inform their radicalization so I can get why they're doing the stuff they do? You don't need much dialog to establish that. I don't need a history primer but if we're not a full on "don't think about it" gag series then you might need to be a bit more direct explaining the central conflict?

The general impression we seem to get of Ostanian society is that there's a huge pro-war sentiment among the public. Anya got overwhelmed by the thoughts of people's hatred for Westalis at a rally that was allegedly in support of peace. Its easy to assume that the colleges have been sort of overrun with this nationalism, resulting in the terrorists we got in the Bond arc. But we also don't really have a picture of Westalis at all. Ostania broke the treaty and invaded, but the larger grasp of the issue has just been hidden a few steps away from the camera.

Its interesting because I do think the answers to this exist? The world-building has been pretty careful. But the story just hasn't been interested in getting into the details. I don't know if that's a story choice or maybe Endo is worried about getting too dark and losing some readers, but the details only get more noticeable with time.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
iirc Endo specifically was asked by his editors to make SxF less dark than his previous, less successful mangas, so yeah that might be part of it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1519164446924578817?t=3tj7He-goUqftzDc9hc_yg&s=19

Let's all love chairs

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ANN posted:

frog_kun

How wude; Anya's a gremlin, not a frog :bahgawd:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Is that... this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-KzGKoLHXk

What a weird crossover

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is Anya tearing up when the Eden college interviewer asked her about her real mother the only time we've seen Anya think about her biological family? It kind of stood out when watching the anime in a way that it never did when I read the equivalent manga chapter. I had assumed Anya didn't even really remember her parents, and they would just never be important, but Anya getting so emotional thinking about her real mother suggests maybe they will actual come up at some point.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

tsob posted:

Is Anya tearing up when the Eden college interviewer asked her about her real mother the only time we've seen Anya think about her biological family? It kind of stood out when watching the anime in a way that it never did when I read the equivalent manga chapter. I had assumed Anya didn't even really remember her parents, and they would just never be important, but Anya getting so emotional thinking about her real mother suggests maybe they will actual come up at some point.

I think it can also be taken as her just being overwhelmed by the question and not really knowing how to react to such a raw thing? That's sort of how I took it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Even being reminded that she doesn't have a real mother (Anya's origins remain extremely mysterious) would be enough to cause a kid in her situation to tear up.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

It's just a terrible and cruel question to ask anyone, let alone a small child!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think it can also be taken as her just being overwhelmed by the question and not really knowing how to react to such a raw thing? That's sort of how I took it.

I think that's how I took it when reading the manga chapter, and I guess maybe it's just the anime's focus on her reaction that makes me think maybe Anya actually remembers her mother rather than it just being an emotive and cruel question in general.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
If I'm somehow right on the "Desmond is a good guy" theory, then he could know that his plans for peace are incredibly risky and likely to get him killed. With that in mind, he's being distant towards his children to make it less difficult for them to get over his death. Another advantage is that if his pro-war enemies think he doesn't give two shits about his kids, they're less likely to attempt to kidnap or harm them.

Evidence coming up down the line that he's pro-war could actually exist because he's trying to lure out pro-war factions/companies/people so that he can take them all down at once, or putting up that public face so they don't realize his far more extensive anti-war/peace activities.

A central theme of the manga is absolutely people hiding things about themselves, and not being who they seem to be on the surface, so I don't think it's much of a stretch to have that extend to Desmond as well. There's also comedy to be had if Anya mind-reads Desmond and finds out he's a good dude, but she can't tell anyone since that'd reveal her telepathy. That'd let the secret out of the bag a bit early, but then we could get bits of Desmond faking being evil here and there, or doing nice things that no one sees, or doing nice things that seem evil to an outside observer (his business acquisition being one such example of that) while Forger becomes more and more convinced that he's a major threat to peace and Anya pulls constant freaking out Anya faces about the whole situation.

The more I think about it the more this sort of stuff makes sense to me, though I'm probably in the minority on this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's clearly some appalling poo poo going on behind the scenes in Berlint, though (as the experiments that gave Bond and Anya their powers attest), so we're going to have to eventually get a name and a face to pin on that. Plus, Damian seems to have a pretty clear arc where he gradually frees himself from his dad's influence - the fact that he started off as such an utter little poo poo (and clearly has deep-seated emotional issues) does not speak well of Desmond. I don't really feel that a series with the premise of Spy X Family is going to ask its audience to be particularly kind to bad parents.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

it'd be pretty dope if they went with "gently caress world peace, it's better to be good parents" if that was indeed the desmond endgame

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

it'd be pretty dope if they went with "gently caress world peace, it's better to be good parents" if that was indeed the desmond endgame

The story's thesis so far seems to be that political harmony derives naturally from familial harmony, with the Forger family's strengthening bonds making them more and more effective peacekeepers. That doesn't bode well for Bad Dad Desmond's role in the story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't really feel that a series with the premise of Spy X Family is going to ask its audience to be particularly kind to bad parents.

Yeah, maybe there will be some twist, but I highly doubt it will be "actually Desmond is a good guy and Westalis/WISE are the bad guys." I think it'll more likely have something to do with Anya.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The scientist that worked on Bond looks like the one that experimented on Anya so we're gonna have to come back around to that. He also mentions world peace both times.

Desmond being involved in it would kinda tie it all up in a nice bow but it could be separate.

Desmond flat out says he thinks humans cannot understand eachother so he could be trying to create espers as this blunt force solution to it. As in, he probably isn't a nice guy but he doesn't think humans can understand eachother because he's simply evil- he may just be a hosed up weirdo who thinks "well it's truly impossible for normal humans to know eachothers' hearts so what if everyone was psychic? Bam, I'm a genius"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Desmond himself, and his views on people, may be the product of bad dad'ing, to show the importance of good family.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

The scientist that worked on Bond looks like the one that experimented on Anya so we're gonna have to come back around to that. He also mentions world peace both times.

Desmond being involved in it would kinda tie it all up in a nice bow but it could be separate.

Desmond flat out says he thinks humans cannot understand eachother so he could be trying to create espers as this blunt force solution to it. As in, he probably isn't a nice guy but he doesn't think humans can understand eachother because he's simply evil- he may just be a hosed up weirdo who thinks "well it's truly impossible for normal humans to know eachothers' hearts so what if everyone was psychic? Bam, I'm a genius"

I still find it incredibly convient Anya fell asleep and had to be taken home when Loid and Desmond met face to face for the first time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Electric Phantasm posted:

I still find it incredibly convient Anya fell asleep and had to be taken home when Loid and Desmond met face to face for the first time.

Narratives are generally built around conveniences of various kinds. It's pretty convenient that the first orphanage Loid tried had a psychic kid for instance, and that Anya happened to be around when Yor and Loid met, so she could bridge the gap between them by pointing out that Loid was single.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Fabricated posted:

He's also the guy that sent all the assassins onto the boat and looks suspiciously like Loid's friend in the flashback. Leonardo Hapoon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, maybe there will be some twist, but I highly doubt it will be "actually Desmond is a good guy and Westalis/WISE are the bad guys." I think it'll more likely have something to do with Anya.

I do think that we can expect bad guys from both the East and West, given that both are presented as being largely morally equivalent. Maybe there'll even be villains in WISE. The organisation's big enough that it can be shady without implicating the characters we've grown to know and trust, and Loid's handler doesn't seem like she's senior enough to enforce her wisdom and morality on the entire Westalian intelligence service.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Fabricated posted:

science list:

a human, with telepathic powers, to steal secrets out of the minds of enemies. important political tool

a dog, who can tell the future, which... not really sure how you get the info, honestly? obvious anya can do it, are these supposed to work in synergy? why not give the prophetic powers to a human, why did they choose a dog?

i guess the last missing piece is... a teleporting cat burglar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

where the red fern gropes posted:

science list:

a human, with telepathic powers, to steal secrets out of the minds of enemies. important political tool

a dog, who can tell the future, which... not really sure how you get the info, honestly? obvious anya can do it, are these supposed to work in synergy? why not give the prophetic powers to a human, why did they choose a dog?

i guess the last missing piece is... a teleporting cat burglar?

A dog that can see the future would make a great anti assassination tool