Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

SettingSun posted:

Planet Crafter has a lot of potential but right now it is very late alpha. Had a great time with what was there because of the theme.

Cant quote this hard enough. Id say it has a pretty bright future (and the roadmap dev diary is really well composed) but right now it feels like a total proof of concept with a lot of placeholders. I enjoyed my 10 hrs with it but that was with the help of podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The terraforming revealed to just be a meter that slowly goes up due to literally anything was the biggest letdown in the whole video. I don't want the game to be hard science, but I feel like the core mechanic of your game should be slightly more involved than an idle game number.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It feels like a very rote mechanics exercise, except for that one glimpse of creativity in the hidden subterranean base of some unlucky sod who went mad and plastered the entire interior of the bunker-like base with dozens of comms screens all displaying the mail you get in the beginning.

Someone there is keeping their creativity locked up in a little hard to find corner of the game.

It definitely feels like a proof of concept more than a game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Isn’t it just two dudes working on planet crafter? I feel like they realize it has a long way to go.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
A French duo, Amelie and Brice.
She does graphics and he does the coding.
He was pretty prompt when I mentioned a bug.
Which when fixed caused another bug, but he fixed that pretty quickly.
Seems decent.

And that was just a leftover dev key that couldnt be bound in options.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OgNar posted:

A French duo, Amelie and Brice.
She does graphics and he does the coding.
He was pretty prompt when I mentioned a bug.
Which when fixed caused another bug, but he fixed that pretty quickly.
Seems decent.

And that was just a leftover dev key that couldnt be bound in options.

Yeah fair enough. Like I’m definitely willing to give them lots of leeway with this and time for that matter.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MarcusSA posted:

Isn’t it just two dudes working on planet crafter? I feel like they realize it has a long way to go.

Yeah which is why I didn’t give it a thumbs down on steam. I think they’ll get there, just not worth a play right now.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Varinn posted:

The terraforming revealed to just be a meter that slowly goes up due to literally anything was the biggest letdown in the whole video. I don't want the game to be hard science, but I feel like the core mechanic of your game should be slightly more involved than an idle game number.

To be completely fair you need to progress on several sub-paths to unlock everything and it's largely set up so e.g. advancing heat allows better O2 production etc. so it's more like there's five or so idle game numbers :v: but yeah there's not really any interaction between these stats besides that.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I want a game like The Martian or Project Hail Mary.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Anyone tried "Necesse"? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1169040/Necesse/

Good reviews, low price, several years old.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My most basic criticism of Planet Crafter is that it's basically just a clicker idle game, without the clicking.

The core game is there and I think it has some cool ideas, I just think the game should be more about the exploration and region unlocks than placing down a bunch of machines and then twiddling your thumbs. The tiers of machines are a very basic problem, one tier 2 heater is worth something like 27 tier 1 heaters and a tier 3 is worth 180 or something like that. This means the game is mostly about tearing down old setups and replacing them with higher tier ones.

If instead the map had central points you install machinery on that then just works that would work better. I find an aquifer and set up a drill that I'm powering with a solar panel and it generates and maintains a lake in that basin. Later on I install an upgrade in the form of a night time battery so now it can maintain a larger lake. This rewards me for exploration and tapping and still gives me an incentive to return and tinker with it but I'm not spamming down 20 heaters in a garage that somehow heat the planet.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Planet Crafters is one of those games that isn't good now but certainly could be, so I think a lot of us are hoping its part of the 10% of early access games that actually makes that transition.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It looks like complete poo poo and I have hard time believing it will get any better.

Just play that 15 years old garry's mod mod that lets you terraform planets and build spaceships, same idea but more to do. Or satisfactory or dyson sphere simulator or something.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

those only let you terraform planets into New Jersey though

if someone remade SimEarth to have a less insanely 80s interface, without injecting combat mechanics or some dumbass poo poo like that, I'd probably never play another game again.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

lunar detritus posted:

I want a game like The Martian or Project Hail Mary.

What about that escape pod simulator game? Any good/VR only?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Private Speech posted:

It looks like complete poo poo and I have hard time believing it will get any better.

Just play that 15 years old garry's mod mod that lets you terraform planets and build spaceships, same idea but more to do. Or satisfactory or dyson sphere simulator or something.
When I think terraforming I definitely think dyson sphere

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Modding The Long Dark has injected a whole bunch of life into the game for me.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Firos posted:

Modding The Long Dark has injected a whole bunch of life into the game for me.

What ones would you recommend?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

What ones would you recommend?

The major one is hunger revamped. It splits hunger from a single bar into hunger and stored calories. Above a certain fullness threshold you store calories, under that you are net neutral on stored calories, below that you start to lose stored calories, and below 20% hunger you take increasing amounts of hunger damage as well as losing even more stored calories.

Quick edit to add: The reason why this is, imo, revolutionary for TLD is because it means that it's way, way harder to get to a point where you've "beat" the game. You actually need to weigh up whether you can afford the calories to eg chop up so shelves or whatever because starving yourself is only possible temporarily; eventually you'll need to make up for your calorie deficit.

Another one I like and is more for convenience is Cook While Fishing which saves you from having to cancel mid-fish to pick up and replace fish that is cooking nearby.

Other than those two it's mostly QOL or cosmetic stuff, but the list of mods is here: https://xpazeman.com/tld-mod-list/. There's a WIP mod that adds the ability to build stuff which looks interesting but I've not tried it out myself.

Firos fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 2, 2022

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I haven't played it in five or six years, so I reckon there's probably some new stuff in general. Super complex hunger systems have always been an intriguing concept.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Anyone played Among Trees? I know it's abandoned but it does have pretty good Steam reviews and it's on sale now, curious if there's enough content for ten bucks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gadzuko posted:

Anyone played Among Trees? I know it's abandoned but it does have pretty good Steam reviews and it's on sale now, curious if there's enough content for ten bucks.
In my playing it, it felt like it was still an early alpha. It has a few early steps like upgrading your pre-made cottage along pre-made routes but then very shortly into that path it just abruptly stops and there's no real ending or anything. There are whole systems that sort of exist but for no real reason. Everyone assumed this was an early version, then updates slowed to about once a year and then stopped completely with the team saying "okay that's 1.0!" despite all their earlier posts about planned updates. Incredibly thin, but it might charm you with its visual style for a few hours.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah Among Trees has a really cool visual style but there's not a ton there to do. I played about 9 hours of it and felt like I did everything in the game. Kinda seems like a game where they just didn't make enough money to keep working on it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The Long Dark frustrates the gently caress out of me, and it's all because of the lack of a narrative arc in survival mode. All I want is to have some kind of end goal. Fix a boat and gather supplies for a trip to the mainland, make a signal strong enough to get rescuer attention, unlock the super fancy super prepper vault. Anything to actually end the game.

As the game is right now there's a story mode I don't care much about, with NPC and whatnot, and survival mode loses steam as soon I find some good clothes. I know how to survive effectively forever, so after a few hours I've already "won".

I really like everything else about the game. The atmosphere is incredible, exploration is great, making my own maps, the feel of "coming home" from the outside. A lot of my annoyances with QoL are fixable by mods. But mods can't put a proper conclusion into the game.

Anyway, there's apparently a split of story and survival mode in the works, plus steam workshop support. It's a good game, I just hate it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i feel like self-sufficiency doesnt really happen until you have a bow unless youre playing on one of the trivial difficulties. even the best clothing only leaves you a fraction of the hours of the day on interloper

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
There are also a handful of challenge modes that just play like survival, albeit with some twists, but give you a goal that ends the game, and sometimes a time limit to accomplish such.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Splicer posted:

When I think terraforming I definitely think dyson sphere

Well, who's to say what's in Earth's future :v:

e:
Surviving mars then, similar style of game albeit not strictly survival.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 3, 2022

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

The Long Dark frustrates the gently caress out of me, and it's all because of the lack of a narrative arc in survival mode. All I want is to have some kind of end goal. Fix a boat and gather supplies for a trip to the mainland, make a signal strong enough to get rescuer attention, unlock the super fancy super prepper vault. Anything to actually end the game.

As the game is right now there's a story mode I don't care much about, with NPC and whatnot, and survival mode loses steam as soon I find some good clothes. I know how to survive effectively forever, so after a few hours I've already "won".

I really like everything else about the game. The atmosphere is incredible, exploration is great, making my own maps, the feel of "coming home" from the outside. A lot of my annoyances with QoL are fixable by mods. But mods can't put a proper conclusion into the game.

Anyway, there's apparently a split of story and survival mode in the works, plus steam workshop support. It's a good game, I just hate it.

Crank up the difficulty. If there were an up-to-date mod to further reduce the number of animals I would have that installed too. And remember that at the highest difficulty the world gets overall colder for 50 days, so good clothes are not enough to completely break the back of the game.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i don't think long dark is unique in that regard, most survival games don't have win conditions. the only ones i can think of that do are subnautica and conan exiles

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else here play Vintage Story? It clearly uses minecraft as a starting point (the creators started programming as minecraft modders I think) but takes the survival aspect far more seriously and features a more detailed, less cartoony world.

What I find particularly interesting is the creators have moved away from menu-based crafting into actions you perform in the game world. For example, to make a clay storage pot you first manually place little clay voxels layer by layer to form the pot, then you dig a pit, put the pot, sticks, and dry grass into the pit, light the pit with a torch, and then retrieve the finished pot 8 in-game hours later.

It's all just a bunch of digital chores in the end, as all these games are, but the weird details in this game make it feel particularly satisfying. It's also in early access and is updated fairly frequently. A lot has been added since I started playing nine months ago even.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, vintage story is pretty rad, tho I've not been keeping tabs on it for a bit, last time I played was when they added pies, have they made combat any better? Drifters loving sucked and the game would be better with their removal last I played.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They added shields but drifters can now throw rocks. Apparently they only spawn from these time rifts that open up, but I'm not completely sure how that works since I usually play on a server where they're disabled. Combat definitely is still a low point.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

moonmazed posted:

i don't think long dark is unique in that regard, most survival games don't have win conditions. the only ones i can think of that do are subnautica and conan exiles

Interesting. I don't know I would have put Conan Exiles into the survival genre. I always thought of it as a PvP game with survival/base building elements, like Rust.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The in world crafting in vintage story is what sets it apart from its competitors, honestly. It makes you realize how handwaved crafting is in almost every other game. It doesn't necessarily feel as good to hew your 50th stone hatchet out of a rock as it does for your first, but each new tier of building stuff feels pretty great the first time you do it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Casting molten metal is pretty great, too. Hearing that hiss.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jawnycat posted:

Yeah, vintage story is pretty rad, tho I've not been keeping tabs on it for a bit, last time I played was when they added pies, have they made combat any better? Drifters loving sucked and the game would be better with their removal last I played.

Yeah the last patch made them worse

You can disable them but if you do so entirely instead of turning off those stupid loving warp storms you basically eliminate any survival aspect to the game, since you have functionally double the time to prepare for winter and can just saunter underground to get top-level materials anytime

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah, I think that the drifters right now feel very much like a placeholder. Like they needed 'an enemy' while they sorted out all the progression and crafting and whatnot. Minecraft-like games have always had the problem of boring combat, though. There's just only so much you can do with enemy AI in a world of aribtrary blocks.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Jizz Festival posted:

Anyone else here play Vintage Story? It clearly uses minecraft as a starting point (the creators started programming as minecraft modders I think) but takes the survival aspect far more seriously and features a more detailed, less cartoony world.

What I find particularly interesting is the creators have moved away from menu-based crafting into actions you perform in the game world. For example, to make a clay storage pot you first manually place little clay voxels layer by layer to form the pot, then you dig a pit, put the pot, sticks, and dry grass into the pit, light the pit with a torch, and then retrieve the finished pot 8 in-game hours later.

It's all just a bunch of digital chores in the end, as all these games are, but the weird details in this game make it feel particularly satisfying. It's also in early access and is updated fairly frequently. A lot has been added since I started playing nine months ago even.

I just started a few weeks ago and am thoroughly hooked; which is not surprising as I really enjoyed TerraFirmaCraft which they list as a major inspiration.

The combat is not good but there's a popular mod that adds bandits/outlaws I'm looking to give a try, at least it will be a nice mix up from the drifters.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I always found the spider things in the caves perfectly fine, they glow so you can see them coming, make nests so they feel 'natural' and are cool and can climb walls and poo poo. The drifters are just, There, and the stronger variants of them are just loving stupid when it takes So Much Work to make proper armor and they can shred it exceptionally quickly. And they look dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vintage story is great and I really appreciate what they are going for.

I don’t play it much anymore but I’ll be coming back to it every so often to check things out.