Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

drat MCPON is right it COULD be worse. What a loving joke

Look chief, I know I just painted over the rust but I could have smeared poo poo over it. Manage your expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Does remind me of our inept CO who would randomly decide some area of the rusted out trash ship needed to be perfect RIGHT NOW probably because the commodore was mean to him about it and plan to check back into about a day or two so the entire deck department would be running 24 hours to get it done, realize that it was impossible to get what the co expected needlegunned and sanded, prepped, primed, dried, and then painted, so then we’d just slather paint over everything, show him so he could show the commodore who often openly disrespected him how much he was getting done and say how great it looks, then the department comes back in a couple days after CO Andy Bernard forgot about it and now have to strip off the paint just as the rusted mess underneath was starting to show again AND now do it all over the right way.

But by that point everyone who was actually doing the work was too tired or angry to give a poo poo and no longer had the bosun and BMC personally breathing down their necks.

The process was personally overseen by the ranks as high as the LT bosun sometimes and still nobody had the balls to be like hey idiot paint and primer need time to dry.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
My dumbfuck first CO screamed at me for my topside spaces being rusty, after it had been raining for a week while we were crossing the Mediterranean after a 6 month deployment. I informed him that it was raining and that paint doesn't stick in the rain and he yelled that it didn't rain last night so I had no excuse.

He wanted me to put my sailors over the side, underway, at night to paint because the ship had rust on it after a 6 month deployment.

Thankfully, the bos'n told him that nobody could paint until we pulled into port because we were out of paint. We weren't, of course, but my God that man should have been run over by a truck before anyone let him near a command position.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Cross postin' while on watch.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Extremely on brand that Navy wives got nothing to be proud of.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Meanwhile in the merchant marine, we just paint ships black / reddish brown / red and beige.

Never sail on a ship that’s a light colour.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
What do you have against ONE??? We won't even talk about Big Blue

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

What do you have against ONE??? We won't even talk about Big Blue

Look your world may be grey and black and bathed in neon light, but out on decks there are nuances.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

If you've never hung off the side of the boat while underway to needlegun in the rain even though you were combat systems because it's "your turn" to help out deck, we're you even really in the navy?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

titties posted:

If you've never hung off the side of the boat while underway to needlegun in the rain even though you were combat systems because it's "your turn" to help out deck, we're you even really in the navy?

Real navy sounds like it sucks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anyone else gonna be at fleet week NYC?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
hell of a double post there shipmate

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Real navy sounds like it sucks.

:emptyquote:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The construction force managed to encapsulate all of the stupidity of the real Navy but you were stuck in a room with at most one or two other guys for green deployments so at least we had that going for us.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I'm not putting anyone over the side at sea gently caress that. Mates shouldn't even be checking the draft from the deck of the vessel in port seriously what the gently caress I dont need dead mates on my hands.

Edit:
Bruh
https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/second-turkish-seafarer-falls-to-death-trying-to-read-draft-markings

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You’re not supposed to go over the side while underway at all, by most civilian safety regs.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Sounds like forums poster FrozenVent has no understanding at all of THE MISSION

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Noone outside the rail is like one of the three immediate, no questions, straight down the gangway firings at the companies I will work for and they won't settle for just the individual but take a very hard look at the senior officers as well.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1520096853441884162?t=zYmGohuXdQ4L59h4Po-0Pw&s=19

Not a very fun fact, tbh

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It is interesting to read the actual whole article the Naval Institute lifted the quote from, which is presented below in the entirety. It is key to note that the article clearly articulates that the war time rates were lower and says that when the country faces a threat the people respond. The funny thing about this article is that people will read it and not look at the dates or anything and be like "drat those millennials" but the people who are deserters in this article are Baby Boomers. Anyway, here is the article:

More sailors are deserting today than at any time in the U.S. Navy's 202-year history.

Navy leaders, in confirming that the desertion rate for the fiscal year that ended last month was a record 31.7 for every 1,000 enlisted persons, said they have set up a servicewide task force to combat the problem.

Basically, the Navy leaders said, today's young sailor looks upon his Navy service as a job rather than an obligation, and quits to get out of additional sea duty.

"We've got to find the motivators" for staying in the service, said Rear Adm. Carl J. Seiberlich, the Navy's deputy personnel director, who heads the new task force charged with slowing the exodus. "Who are the guys out there who want to go to sea?"

Seventy-nine per cent of the sailors who go absent without leave for more than 30 days are attached to a ship, not serving ashore. Seiberlich said. Being absent for more than 30 days is considered desertion.

Seiberlich said that in fiscal 1977 there were 14,539 desertions out of a total enlisted force of 459,857.

The current 31.7 Navy desertion rate is almost 6 times the World War II high of 5.5 desertions per 1,000 service people; more than triple the Korean War high of 8.7 and more than double the Vietnam war peak rate of 13.6.

Themessage there, Seiberlich said, is that when sailors sense that their work is vital to the national interest they do their duty. The Navy, he added, must now find a way to instill this sense of mission in peacetime.

As it is now, deserting can be the fastest way out of the Navy for sailors disenchanted with sea duty. Because the intent to desert is so difficult to grove in a court-martial, Seiberlich said, convictions for desertion are rare. Instead, the Navy usually discharges the sailor.

Although such discharges are less than honorable, Seiberlich and Rear Adm. William R. Smedberg IV, the Navy's manpower planning director said this has failed to stem the desertions.

"If you don't mind a bad piece of paper," Smedberg said desertion can be the fastest was out. "We ought to get tougher" on deserters, he added.

"But that's touch in today's society," said Seiberlich, adding that the military service are a reflection of conditions in soceity generally.

Surveys show that sailors desert because they cannot stnd the separation that comes from serving aboard ship nor the working conditions at sea and in port during overhaul.

"The fellow you enlist today looks at you as an employers," Seiberlich said. "He has a contract with us," but does not always look upon it as binding. "He doesn't think it's really bad to quit a job," whether it is in the Navy or anywhere else.

Seiberlich and Smedberg conceded that the Navy and other services are making themselves look like employers by stressing in their recruiting the job opportunities in the military.

Most of the sailors - 72 per cent - who decide to desert are between 18 and 20, the Navy said.

Also, the Navy said, a profile of deserters indicates that 92 per cent of them were on their first tours of duty and 66 per cent of them were in the lower mental categories.

Seiberlich said he hopes to complete within six weeks a draft of a master plan for combating desertion and other causes of attrition.

Improved training for officers and enlisted people: cash bonuses for enlisting for sea duty; new stress on the traditional values of duty and country all are among the changes either under way or under consideration.

Seiberlich said he sees no way to reduce the current ship deployment of about six months since there is no desire to reduce the number of warships on duty in the Mediterranean and Pacific.

Also, he said, the work week while in port for overhaul must be long to ensure that the ship will be able to relieve another ship at sea on time. Otherwise, the sailors would have to stay at sea longer than six months.

Latest Pentagon figures show the other services have desertion problems too, with the Marines registering the highest rate of all in fiscal 1976 - 69.2 desertions for every 1,000 enlisted persons. But this is of little comfor to Navy leaders, because their desertion rate is continuing to climb while that of the other services is falling.

The Navy desertion rate shot up from 13.6 per 1,000 persons in fiscal 1973 to 21.2 in fiscal 1974; 22.4 in fiscal 1975; 24.8 in fiscal 1976, and 31.7 in fiscal 1977. Women deserters are rare, currently representing fewer than 1 per cent of the incidents.

In comparison to the 1976 desertion rates of the Navy and Marine Corps. the Army registered 17.7 desertions per 1,000 enlisted people that same fiscal year and the Air Force 1.2 desertions per 1,000.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I can’t believe they have to ask why. That tells me absolutely nothing will be done about this.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Can’t believe young people don’t want to work 90 hours for people who tell them they’re lazy entitled pieces of poo poo who fail to feed or house them

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The funny thing about this article is that people will read it and not look at the dates or anything and be like "drat those millennials" but the people who are deserters in this article are Baby Boomers. Anyway, here is the article:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fact: not a single millennial has dodged the draft.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

So you're telling me some people don't deal well with getting paid dogshit wages to live in cramped quarters that make certain prisons look luxurious, and eat poo poo food for 6 months at a time, then work 80 hours a week in port, all while being verbally abused (and probably physically in '77) and treated like a sub human?

For the reward of providing a nebulous deterrent against "foes" that your country is at peace with?

Maybe we should have a mechanism for sailors who can't handle that sort of pressure to simply be allowed to leave the service? Nonesense, the kids today are merely soft!

E: I go on terminal Monday :toot:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Elviscat posted:

E: I go on terminal Monday :toot:

You are going to love it!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Always loved listening to first classes and chiefs bitch about millenials while failing to realize they were talking about zoomers and also they themselves are millenials

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

Always loved listening to first classes and chiefs bitch about millenials while failing to realize they were talking about zoomers and also they themselves are millenials

MIght've been Gen Xers.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

No, they were millenials, me and my FLTMPS access verified that

Does FLTMPS have birthday? I just knew these dudes were younger than me and I'm a millenial and also there was a real ASVAB trend in the senior enlisted rates (trend is big drop off from e6 to e7)

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 30, 2022

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

It’s like 1980 was the first year of millennials iirc, but I know a quick Google search can verify that, so yeah. Having that first group of millennials in charge is funny blaming themselves. Also considering the changes they’re always talking about that they hate and blame on millennials is being changed by their fellow chief and higher ranking officer millennial peers but let’s blame the bumfuck E3 who is totally to blame why hazing isn’t a thing anymore.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

piL posted:

EX01-0002
Equipment name: Navy personnel system
Program erroneously tracks fit to fill. Design flaw determines effectiveness of manning based on percentage of amount of people Navy can afford as opposed to amount of personnel necessary leading to discrepancies in perceiving risk. Request intermediate activity revise program to track fit to requirement.

Well done.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
"Seiberlich said he sees no way to reduce the current ship deployment of about six months since there is no desire to reduce the number of warships on duty in the Mediterranean and Pacific."

Yeah, that's fuckin' bullshit.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

"Seiberlich said he sees no way to reduce the current ship deployment of about six months since there is no desire to reduce the number of warships on duty in the Mediterranean and Pacific."

*between 6 and 12 months

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I like the part I bolded.

Like, "we could make optempo reasonable but we don't wanna."

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s a scientific fact that if we don’t have exactly 3 carrier groups just sitting around on the other side of the world burning through a few billion a day China will invade Taiwan and use that as a springboard to impose global communism with Chinese characteristics and demand taxes in the precious bodily fluids of our flag officers.

So you about the admiral who can’t stop thinking about the PLA running a train on his wife performance anxiety before complaining about going over the side at night underway to paint over rust SN Timmy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s a scientific fact that if we don’t have exactly 3 carrier groups just sitting around on the other side of the world burning through a few billion a day China will invade Taiwan and use that as a springboard to impose global communism with Chinese characteristics and demand taxes in the precious bodily fluids of our flag officers.

So you about the admiral who can’t stop thinking about the PLA running a train on his wife performance anxiety before complaining about going over the side at night underway to paint over rust SN Timmy.

Man I hope we never get an admiral with a *uck fantasy.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Crab Dad posted:

Bite your tongue. Ressurect the duck.

Wait, you didn't mean something else, did you?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Crab Dad posted:

That word isn't probatable anymore.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

McNally posted:

That word isn't probatable anymore.

It’s not as funny that way.

Ducks are pretty cool.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

what the actual gently caress who paid for this ad

gently caress you

Nerdlord Actual fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Phuzzy posted:

what the actual gently caress who paid for this ad

gently caress you

Wait do people get paid to make bad 4 panel comics?