Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

EasyEW posted:

Also, since we made a small pivot into Dilbert talk during the hateread discussion, you might want to have a look at what Scott Adams is trying to pull today.

Outside of the thread. I'm not stupid enough to post it myself and risk the wrath of God.
You sure as gently caress ain't kidding :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

I don't think much about Holbrook in any direction, unless the storyline coughs up something with weird, unexamined implications that is very quickly shrugged off. Which happens a lot, actually.

Also, since we made a small pivot into Dilbert talk during the hateread discussion, you might want to have a look at what Scott Adams is trying to pull today.

Outside of the thread. I'm not stupid enough to post it myself and risk the wrath of God.

HOOOOOO BOY

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Ah yes, I also refer to people in the same room as me by their full names and a brief summary of their career accomplishments.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Vargo Comicsman, Mark trail villain posted:

HOOOOOO BOY

Ah yes, I also refer to people in the same room as me by their full names and a brief summary of their career accomplishments.

same

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
These multi-week EBs feel like stalling to me, tbh.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Slammy posted:

Mopsy December 23, 1937

Holy poo poo Mopsy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kazinsal posted:

There's another thing. Whatever you think of Bill Holbrook's cartoons, at least he isn't a bigoted shithead.

He's also got a pretty impressive schedule that I'm surprised he can keep up with for decades: One week writing three weeks' of comics, one week drawing three weeks' of comics, one week off.
This is the thing that I most find fascinating about Holbrook: The pure scale of the output that he has kept up consistently for decades. And while I don't think any of it is necessarily good, it is apparently good enough for him to make a pretty decent living.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"I'm glad you like them, I made 300."

|The Phantom

Oh come on!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Perhaps a dust pan.

Andertoons

May is weird timing for this joke. I wonder if it's a rerun or if Anderson just doesn't care about the time context of the gags he comes up with. He must consider it some since he usually has themes around Thanksgiving and Christmas, but maybe he doesn't care all the time.

Apartment 3-G

EasyEW posted:

I am stupid enough, consequences be damned!

(But I will spoiler it if that's all right.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murdstone posted:

What. the. gently caress. :psyduck:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2022 and he's introducing his first Black character

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder which newspaper group wouldn't run it. It's, unfortunately, not the Washington Post Writers' Group, since the WaPo has the offending comic up on their site.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

https://twitter.com/CritterJams/status/1521171487553724416

lmao

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Hattie Masters posted:

I hate Holbrook and everything he has created. Sometimes I will read K+K because my particular brand of dyspraxia means my brain will run on autopilot, especially if it's posted after good comics.

Same, and same. I don't mind having to speed-scroll past a big block of indigestible Holbrook (well, I don't mind much), but when one of his strips is in a post with other comics that are actually good, sometimes I end up reading some of it and it makes my day worse.

I'm not saying I think Holbrook's comics shouldn't be posted here, as much as I would like it if they weren't; I just think they should be treated like the terrible strips they are and quarantined from things that people would actually enjoy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EasyEW posted:

It just showed up on Twitter for me because apparently he's trying to spin newspapers not running it as because he's introducing a black character. Wow, what an absolute disgusting creature Adams is.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think New Nancy's South Elementary Kid may be a contender for the clunkiest writing in the thread, even accounting for banished all stars like 9CL. "I'm the manipulative kid. Here I am being introduced manipulating people. I love manipulating people, I narrate to myself as I walk down the street alone. Wait.. have I been.. playing... dirty?!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"I'm glad you like them, I made 300."

Is that really going to be it? "Ian fixed it"? loving lame!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

davidspackage posted:

The only way I can think of to salvage an interesting story from here is if Ian and Helen aren't just exes from long ago, they're also currently having an affair.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

davidspackage posted:

Probably not but now she feels like she has an ally / Ian won't think she was actually loving a student

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's delayed Blueberry (sorry!): Looks like the Pinkertons need to advertise a couple new positions..., or Mort Doogan gets upset at Blake and Angel Face, or Blueberry gets the lowdown

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

davidspackage posted:

We cut away from Ian and Helen before anything of substance passed between them. There's gotta be a twist coming (Or maybe not, this IS Mary Worth we're talking about.)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The war's been over for six months, Everett. You can relax.

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True May 6, 1919

A dude over 100 years ago anticipated your response and drew Everett beating you up, drat.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Vargo posted:

HOOOOOO BOY

When one of your creator's more blatant self-inserts shows up, you make them feel welcome.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

Dogbert March 30, 1967

Holy poo poo :laffo:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

Well, he dared...

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days: New chapter!

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Samovar posted:

In today's delayed Blueberry (sorry!):

Oh my god, they killed Peter Capaldi! You bastards!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Duplex

I worked with a guy who actually did this. He asked the boss for a raise trying to use his years of experience as the basis for the raise. He overlooked the fact that the boss (and nearly everybody else in the company) hated working with him. The boss wished him good luck and out he went.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Murder is okay. Anyway enough about that, Rudy does a racism."

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
I'm ashamed to come right after the K&K megapost. Hope this serves as a palette cleanser:

Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slammy posted:

Dogbert March 30, 1967
Boss appears to be rustling up an rear end-whuppin'

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (December 1-3, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (February 24-26, 1919)

Dok's Seasick Duck (February 7, 1914)

Little Lefty (July 6-8, 1936)

Blondie (From Zero) (January 4-6, 1932)

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

I'm gonna be honest I've really disliked this comic but this one actually made me chuckle out loud.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Boss appears to be rustling up an rear end-whuppin'
Yeah it's pretty visible why she settled for getting stuck in a dump like that; that man's got forearms on his forearms.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the hell is this? some kind of sex cube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

the hell is this? some kind of sex cube?
Here's the problem: there was a typo in the initial strip that slipped by the editors. Should be fixed now.