Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

LGD posted:

not really sure it’s thread appropriate, but we don’t have a “cringe” thread afaik/pop culture is to blame for the framing:

https://twitter.com/marrowing/status/1520992833011740672?s=20&t=CwZDtUcMJE9XqXYiQSuHuQ

tldr; woman gets horny over dude at networking event and blows up marriage (with 2 kids) because she’s convinced he’s her soulmate, he (naturally) says no because he only ever spoke to her the one time

then she wrote a book about it m, and is now a life coach

anyway click through the prose is great fun

lol, this reminds me of the ego stroking https://ianmack.medium.com/love-will-be-the-death-of-us-7baa690dcd0 article where a guy has multiple "not-affairs" and tries to justify it and pressures his wife into an open relationship

but don't bother reading it, read the parody instead https://medium.com/@alexandraerin/infidelity-will-be-the-death-of-my-marriage-1020720676ef

ymgve has issued a correction as of 17:45 on May 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The best part of that article is when her family is confronting her and she tells them she doesn't care.

astoundingly little paraphrasing in this summary btw, see:

this has me like those people who want to ban videogames after mass shootings, but for romcoms

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

astoundingly little paraphrasing in this summary btw, see:

this has me like those people who want to ban videogames after mass shootings, but for romcoms

[nodding more vigorously with each sentence] i need my dang life coached by this lady

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

LGD posted:

not really sure it’s thread appropriate, but we don’t have a “cringe” thread afaik/pop culture is to blame for the framing:

https://twitter.com/marrowing/status/1520992833011740672?s=20&t=CwZDtUcMJE9XqXYiQSuHuQ

tldr; woman gets horny over dude at networking event and blows up marriage (with 2 kids) because she’s convinced he’s her soulmate, he (naturally) says no because he only ever spoke to her the one time

then she wrote a book about it m, and is now a life coach

anyway click through the prose is great fun

This kind of happened to a friend/former boss of mine, his ex-wife went backpacking in India and met someone there and left my friend for this new person. My friend was cool with it because he was thinking of filing for divorce before that happened lol.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

C-Euro posted:

This kind of happened to a friend/former boss of mine, his ex-wife went backpacking in India and met someone there and left my friend for this new person. My friend was cool with it because he was thinking of filing for divorce before that happened lol.

honestly, it's a pretty common story: middle-aged person is bored with life, meets someone new, feels the spark of a new relationship for the first time since their marriage started, uses this as catalyst to "escape" their old life, possibly without addressing any other issues than their marriage, and if the new relationship does go anywhere it probably only lasts a few years tops

if it were anything other than acting out due to boredom, they probably would have just gotten divorced normally without the "whirlwind-romance" factor being involved (see: your friend in this instance, probably just relieved he can use this for a better legal settlement)

Most of the time they just don't bungle it quite this badly, or frame it in quite so self-aggrandizing terms, in an international publication, and get a book deal from it

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i guess if you blow up your whole life for nothing you may as well try to turn it into a career

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the r/relationships thread back in its heyday had like ten iterations of "guy talks wife into open marriage so he can hit on a 22-year-old at work who actually has no interest in him, and now his wife is constantly making him sleep on the couch while she bangs strangers"

loquacius has issued a correction as of 18:32 on May 2, 2022

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

loquacius posted:

I think the r/relationships thread back in its heyday had like ten iterations of "guy talks wife into open marriage so he can hit on a 22-year-old at work who actually has no interest in him, and now his wife is constantly making him sleep on the couch while she bangs strangers"

this literally happened to my brother with his girlfriend once lmfao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

loquacius posted:

That's almost every open relationship story.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

what does everyone think about Lost In Translation (2003, dir. Sofia Coppola)?

Sofia Coppola's only good movie and it's just an okay imitation of Wong Kar Wai. Just watch In the Mood For Love.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That's almost every open relationship story.

if only I could be so lucky; she dumped me for the new guy.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

guy I know's girlfriend wanted an open relationship and dumped him after coming home to him loving another man and imo he deserves the presidential medal of freedom

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

LGD posted:

chad's reign of terror destroys yet another man's life

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Buck Wildman posted:

guy I know's girlfriend wanted an open relationship and dumped him after coming home to him loving another man and imo he deserves the presidential medal of freedom

:patriot:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I've only seen the reverse in my old friend groups, multiple guys became polygamous with their wives only to introduce a hotter replacement and then slowly and devastatingly pushed them out of their lives. The gender of the newer model didn't matter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

honestly, it's a pretty common story: middle-aged person is bored with life, meets someone new, feels the spark of a new relationship for the first time since their marriage started, uses this as catalyst to "escape" their old life, possibly without addressing any other issues than their marriage, and if the new relationship does go anywhere it probably only lasts a few years tops

if it were anything other than acting out due to boredom, they probably would have just gotten divorced normally without the "whirlwind-romance" factor being involved (see: your friend in this instance, probably just relieved he can use this for a better legal settlement)

Most of the time they just don't bungle it quite this badly, or frame it in quite so self-aggrandizing terms, in an international publication, and get a book deal from it

He was 30 when it happened, as someone who just turned 34 please don't say he was middle aged :negative:

Buck Wildman posted:

Lmao king poo poo

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

life expectancy is marching back down so 30 is middle age again yes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm turning 35 this week and I don't really think there is a functional difference between me and a middle-aged person, yes this IS causing me considerable mental stress

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Me at middle age will just be me as I am now but with kids who know how to use the bathroom by themselves

the dream

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

what does everyone think about Lost In Translation (2003, dir. Sofia Coppola)?

perfectly captures the "expat" experience of being a little racist and treating your host country like a video game to explore

that sentiment infects basically all westerners who travel and it's good to have it shown back to you

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

loquacius posted:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, the difference between a therapist and a life coach is that a therapist is someone with some kind of graduate degree who wants you to be calm and happy and make good decisions, and a life coach is someone with no training that wants you to be bold and brave and reckless and stumble from dumb idea to dumb idea without a pause to rest, right

e: also it's kind of weird that she apparently thought she couldn't change careers while her husband and children were still in the picture???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lkBX7VwzjM

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

god that was such a good show. even the later seasons which were insane and bad were still hilarious

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/oldfriend99/status/1520803551982804996?cxt=HHwWiICzkbyx_ZoqAAAA

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Antonymous posted:

life expectancy is marching back down so 30 is middle age again yes

kind weird to go from feeling like i still have my life ahead of me two years ago to feeling like i'm already dead and there is no one to mourn me

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the beard style of megaphone guy is so aggressive and strange

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can somebody define "bro" for me btw because we're at a stage now where there appear to be cases where it means "person who dislikes superhero movies" and it's giving me bro whiplash

was never quite sure what "dudebro" meant

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

Can somebody define "bro" for me btw because we're at a stage now where there appear to be cases where it means "person who dislikes superhero movies" and it's giving me bro whiplash

some real dudebro questions getting asked itt

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It means the same as hipster and a ton of other things: person i disagree with

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

*shotguns natty ice, belches, crushes can on forehead* yeah I dunno bro the whole thing where the world is solely defended by a few "gifted" individuals, one of whom is literally a war-profiteer billionaire, has some uncomfortable far-right undertones, to say nothing of how much it glorifies the military/industrial complex and unabashedly pushes the agenda of American business interests... hold on a sec, I gotta take this. *is hoisted upside-down by fraternity brothers to do a keg-stand*

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

It means the same as hipster and a ton of other things: person i disagree with

:hmmyes:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

indigi posted:

the beard style of megaphone guy is so aggressive and strange

that's the current chairman of the Proud Boys and FBI informant Enrique Tarrio

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

loquacius posted:

pejorative terms mean literally whatever you want them to mean

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

*snorts long, elaborately-spiraled line of coke off of a novelty dish bearing the likeness of David Lynch* ACHOO! What was I saying? ... Oh yeah, right, I was saying that I was into it for the first few movies but they kept going after Endgame despite not really having a story to tell anymore, knaamean bro? I've been getting into Hitchcock recently

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think a strong bro-indicator appears to be the assumption that the bro in question believes themselves to be smarter than the speaker in some way; this interpretation of the word is wholly irreconcilable with its pre-2016 definition which mostly revolved around weightlifting and the consumption of cheap beer

2016 was of course the year when, we are given to believe, bros universally turned their attention from lacrosse and the stock market to single-payer healthcare, and bro-dom has never been the same

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the american psycho fan vs the american psycho enjoyer

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

If you have a type of guy you don't like you can just take a word that describes them and put "bro" at the end, simple as

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

A bro is someone who reminds you of that guy (yes, that guy) you dated in college, and also Bernie Sanders

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mameluke posted:

perfectly captures the "expat" experience of being a little racist and treating your host country like a video game to explore

that sentiment infects basically all westerners who travel and it's good to have it shown back to you

that’s also basically Tokyo Vice lol

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
It's short for 'brother'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mameluke posted:

have you ever met a non-western tourist? they are basically the same.