Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Cursed Werewolf is, as you've noticed, an absolutely vicious fight that more or less demands you bring along one of your class's silliest combos to have a chance. I can't remember off the top of my head if his Blessings are randomized between attempts or between runs or if he gets a preset group against each class, I think it's random? Regardless, just the Blessings alone are painful. I think he and Forest Spirit pretty much both exist to counter how easy the game can be right up to the final difficulty levels.

You're right that Mechanist can't quite exile spam through his deck. I think the strats that work best on him with that class involve getting really crazy card draw and use-attack-from-deck setups combined with the infinite cannonball or whatever it's called.

And as for that achievement, I don't have it but I suspect the answer is Werewolf with the "Gain Turn # Rage" blessing, despite the Soul Hunter picture on the achievement. That's the only scaling damage I can think of that requires no cards to be played.

Personally I'm still hung up on the one for getting 999x total status effects on an enemy. Like, I think I see how to do it, but I feel like I need to have just the right deck and an enemy with resurrect invincibility so I get a turn where I can just dump potions into them without killing them off, and so far I'm not doing so well at meeting both of those conditions. I guess if I could be confident in doing it in 5 turns Toad Prophet would be the ideal candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dachshundofdoom posted:

And as for that achievement, I don't have it but I suspect the answer is Werewolf with the "Gain Turn # Rage" blessing, despite the Soul Hunter picture on the achievement. That's the only scaling damage I can think of that requires no cards to be played.

Personally I'm still hung up on the one for getting 999x total status effects on an enemy. Like, I think I see how to do it, but I feel like I need to have just the right deck and an enemy with resurrect invincibility so I get a turn where I can just dump potions into them without killing them off, and so far I'm not doing so well at meeting both of those conditions. I guess if I could be confident in doing it in 5 turns Toad Prophet would be the ideal candidate.
I actually got the 999x! Witch has uh... Spread Toxicity, it's called? The one that inflicts chilled = poison, then 3 poison. So just spam the gently caress out of that. I did it against Werewolf because he heals up so you got lots of turns to set up. The real dream is the Absolute Zero blessing to actually get infinite turns, but I didn't get that so I just had two Toxicity + two Ice Cream Tricks for more chilled, and then Cleaning Time to trigger all my temporary Toxicity from Ice Cream (then Mirror to copy Cleaning Time to do it twice, which turned out to be overkill because I had something like 1222 chilled after only one)

and yeah I think you're right about the way to do "no cards", but how the hell do you heal up? there's not a passive heal blessing... maybe you just do it in act 1 where the enemy is not enormous and maybe get your hands on a Rage Totem beforehand, hmm, theorycrafting this now

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stronghold Crusader Carcassone Deckbuilder Roguelite

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1071140/ORX/

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Prism posted:

I really wish One Step from Eden wasn't quite as fast as it was. Battle Network wasn't that fast! I can't keep up.

This is my biggest problem with eden. Battle network was more deliberated paced and it’s enemies telegraphed their attacks way more. In eden it feels like you never get a second to think.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OSFE is more about being good at dodging and knowing enemy patterns than deckbuilding. Deckbuilding and offense is secondary and mostly just deciding how long you gotta dodge for.

I'm not a big fan of that either.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

My best run so far on RL2:

https://i.imgur.com/NkN77V8.jpeg

I finally beat the Sun Tower, although I needed in total 5 hours for it. I think I was level 160 when I did it, and well, I think other people beat it at level 120 or so.

After playing a few more hours, I can confirm the last biome, the dried lake mine, isn't as hard (relatively speaking, given the progression stage when you unlock them) as the 4th one, Sun Tower. I beat it in way less tries. In fact I think I could have been stuck on the Sun Tower boss even more time, but I had luck and i got a good class + spell combo for bosses, the Barbarian + Tesla Spike, and with that one I beat it.

The second to last boss was a nice fight, but it wasn't very hard. The final boss is hard, I still haven't reached even its 50% hp threshold.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 1, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter. That seems great!!

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Ah, I see! I got hung up on Apothecary but you're right, that is a much easier way to pull it off.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Turin Turambar posted:

My best run so far:

https://i.imgur.com/NkN77V8.jpeg

I finally beat the Sun Tower, although I needed in total 5 hours for it. I think I was level 160 when I did it, and well, I think other people beat it at level 120 or so.

Lol I've been messing around in there at like level 60, I should probably do the two other biomes I haven't completed first, huh. Lots of loot though! And I really like the difficult platforming, especially with how many classes have mobility skills that can change your approach.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Night of the Full Moon trip report: holy poo poo the boss of Hard VII (and I guess also Nightmare lmao haven't done that yet) is rough as gently caress. Wow.

I managed to get past it with a variety of stupid things - first-turn kill with Hurricane Staff on Witch, 13 turn lockout with Paranoia+Sweep->Wolf's Cry or whatever it's called on Werewolf to prevent it from playing anything (that's not even a lock, you can't stop it from playing Misfortune so you actually only get five turns to kill even with the total lockout), and on Soul Hunter I literally used a card that swaps with an enemy card to steal the level 2 apothecary's "die in four turns" potion and turtled the gently caress up.

Still gotta figure out a way to do it with Machinist, it has a jillion cards in deck so I can't use my go-to "just exile their entire deck lol" strats, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

how are you supposed to get the "kill a boss without playing a card" achievement? all I can think of is the one blessing that does 1 whenever they play a card and there's no way that's right

e: got no regrets buying the DLC though, the Diaries mode is fun and presented interesting challenges to win with every equipment (still haven't managed Midas with all three boss-curse-blessings, losing 1 HP per card is insanely rough) and the other classes all feel very strong in very different ways which is super fun

I got the “No cards” achievement with Knight. If you get a run with a lot of equipment slot upgrades, you can load up on the equipment that gives armor (especially the one that scales based on equipment and, the auto-damage equipment like spears or the one that deals damage based on armor. Comfortably killed the Act 2 boss without playing a card - I just kept generating more armor than he could punch through while steadily chipping away at him every turn.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

goferchan posted:

Lol I've been messing around in there at like level 60, I should probably do the two other biomes I haven't completed first, huh. Lots of loot though! And I really like the difficult platforming, especially with how many classes have mobility skills that can change your approach.

Hahaha you are my opposite, then.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inadequately posted:

I got the “No cards” achievement with Knight. If you get a run with a lot of equipment slot upgrades, you can load up on the equipment that gives armor (especially the one that scales based on equipment and, the auto-damage equipment like spears or the one that deals damage based on armor. Comfortably killed the Act 2 boss without playing a card - I just kept generating more armor than he could punch through while steadily chipping away at him every turn.
...this seems about 1000 times easier than what I was thinking. So I'll do it. Thanks!

edit: literally first run, lol, I did have to blow the Tenacity active but that was easy.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 1, 2022

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jack Trades posted:

this is excellent but man is it hard

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I have defeated the 4 cube. I did it. I did the peglin. :ironicat:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I wish the look of the rooms you're building in RL2 corresponded more with the type of room it is.

It's not as noticeable with the main part of the castle but some of the underground rooms are just silly. The "Career Center" is a small room full of skulls? It would be a fun little feature to be able to see all this stuff coming together.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DACK FAYDEN posted:

edit: literally first run, lol, I did have to blow the Tenacity active but that was easy.

Two to go and they're the rough ones. Someone on reddit (thanks, google) did say that equipment knight could outgrind the final boss of Diaries better than hurricane witch, but I'm skeptical. And then obviously machinist.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dumb question but i can't figure it out: how do I see my hunger in Shattered Pixel Dungeon?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Hunger appears as an icon on your buff bar, a circle divided into 4 parts. If it's orange you're hungry, if it's red you're currently starving.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/category/going_rogue/

I'm not watching that because I gotta protect the last few braincells I have left but someone else can feel to watch that and then come back and report on what they're seen.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

They did a pretty good explanation imo, roguelikes are games descended from Rogue (1980) and Roguelites are Roguelikes with metaprogression

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
roguelikes are a type of turn-based RPGs with permanent death, very discrete / fine-grained turns, and randomly generated levels

"roguelites" means literally nothing except "not actually a roguelike." it's an unnecessary linguistic compromise with people who tried to pitch something akin to "mario is a role playing game because you're playing the role of mario" except dead serious

e: if the "genre" has any common characteristics at all it's more a certain vague sort of arcade game ancestry -- looping through the same levels across runs, steadily escalating difficulty over time, randomness often constrained to enemy and power-up distribution and less so to level design -- but even that's a stretch

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 2, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

but you still know what roguelite means when we use the term. It's a rogue-like with meta progression. You can go "Oh but that's not a ROGUELIKE its a completely different thing" and I'd agree with you, that's why it's two separate terms.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

but you still know what roguelite means when we use the term. It's a rogue-like with meta progression. You can go "Oh but that's not a ROGUELIKE its a completely different thing" and I'd agree with you, that's why it's two separate terms.

what would you call a game where you lose everything when you die but it plays like Nuclear Throne or Risk of Rain

what do you call a game like Nethack where player actions in one run can permanently alter the game world in both beneficial and harmful ways, but also it's, you know, loving Nethack :v:

so, no, i don't! i wouldn't have thought at all to make that the dividing line. the last time i heard someone even suggest something like that, it was the whole thread doing a collective laugh / groan at something thinking "roguelike" meant metaprogression

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what would you call a game where you lose everything when you die but it plays like Nuclear Throne or Risk of Rain

what do you call a game like Nethack where player actions in one run can permanently alter the game world in both beneficial and harmful ways, but also it's, you know, loving Nethack :v:

1. An action game with permadeath
2. A rogue-lite.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

anyways, more charitably, i think the semantic bleaching of the word is mostly a by-product of "literally any game that might deliberately evoke frustration and regret, but isn't PvP" being too scary a concept for general consumption and needing a combination warning sign / marketing gimmick

which isn't the fault of the people who like those games and is only trivially the fault of the people who make them, and does at least overlap with the community for roguelikes as such

(but also in an industry that wasn't so obsessed with new customer growth and treating niche appeal like a burden, it wouldn't be anywhere near as necessary to exaggerate their similarities to each other or their difference from more mainstream genres)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 2, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

1. An action game with permadeath
2. A rogue-lite.

weird, there sure is a lot of discussion of action games with permadeath in the roguelike megathread

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
"Roguelite" is generally used to mean "run-based game with randomization and metaprogression". It's normally used as a modifier to other genres ("action-roguelite", "deckbuilder-roguelite", "tower defense roguelite", etc) but the meaning and usage seems fairly consistent to me, even if it's drifted a lot from the linguistic roots of the term.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You could call both roguelites I guess then.

I define a roguelike as permadeath + turn based + no meta.

A roguelite I define as a run based game I guess? Anything where you attempt the same challenge over and over. Someone probably gonna chime in with "oh so XYZ is a roguelite then?" but we all know one when we see it.

edit: Snake Maze described it better than I could.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The article linked from the URL above is actually a good explainer for 99% of people: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/593110/view/3175610095143798950

poo poo, it even describes The Berlin Interpretation

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Until someone comes up with a pithier term for "Run Based Game With Randomness" we are stuck referencing Rogue all the time. I personally don't think the meta progression matters at all in terms of defining the genre, that's just a gameplay aspect that some games have and some don't, and even the ones that do lean into it in very different ways. The -likes are the grid based turn based affairs, and the -lites are everything else.

At this point the only way the nomenclature is gonna change is if some big company pulls a MOBA and just decides to rename the whole genre arbitrarily. Unfortunately, I think that was mostly because of the genre at the time being named after their still existing competition, and not wanting to give away any free advertising. Not many games these days in direct competition with Rogue, for better or worse.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Rogue like, it's like rogue and it's probably a turn based RPG game.

Roguelite, it's got procedural generation, probably a lot of items that blend together to make combos, some platforming, and these days it's probably got shooting mechanics (twin stick most likely). It's a pretty varied genre which I think is part of the appeal.

Anyway, whoever brought up Revita earlier deserves a medal. I bought it based on this thread and I'm really enjoying it. I like how each run feels varied, lots of different weapons and unlocks, and most of all, the runs are about 30 minutes. Makes it a great pick up and play game when I have a spare moment. The difficulty is perfect where I didn't feel like I needed a million unlocks to win.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Truspeaker posted:

Until someone comes up with a pithier term for "Run Based Game With Randomness" we are stuck referencing Rogue all the time. I personally don't think the meta progression matters at all in terms of defining the genre, that's just a gameplay aspect that some games have and some don't, and even the ones that do lean into it in very different ways. The -likes are the grid based turn based affairs, and the -lites are everything else.

:agreed: I have no idea why metaprogression became a distinction anyone considers meaningful as a genre descriptor

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I can excuse confusion about roguelite/roguelikes in the Going Rogue sale but what I can't excuse is also including Soulslikes and Metroidvanias and then literally not featuring a single traditional roguelike in the sale at all

e: I take it back, I found a traditional Roguelike in it. Soulash is on sale :toot: I am pretty sure that is the only game featured in the storefront pages for the sale that I would personally consider a "roguelike"
(I know many actual roguelikes are on sale, but they don't show up on the front and center sale pages)

I don't really care about genre names but what I hate is that there's no good way to browse actual traditional roguelikes on Steam. The "Traditional Roguelike" tag is 90% not roguelikes. I was looking forward to this sale as a way to find out about new traditional roguelikes I missed. I just wish someone could settle on a genre name/tag for berlin-interpretation traditional roguelikes and then somehow through some magic people don't co-opt it to slap on unrelated games.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 2, 2022

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
people who stick to the strictest possible definition of roguelike are invariably very tedious people who don't have any friends. you will never find a co-op roguelike such as wizard of legend in their steam library.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Strangely, Rogue is not a rogue-like, as it is Rogue itself.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would call it an action roguelite :colbert:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Orange DeviI posted:

people who stick to the strictest possible definition of roguelike are invariably very tedious people who don't have any friends. you will never find a co-op roguelike such as wizard of legend in their steam library.
the primary reason for sticking to a strict definition is that by broadening it to this extent you include what are essentially several completely different genres of games. A strict definition roguelike and something like Risk of Rain share almost nothing in common. Someone who likes say, DCSS, isn't any more likely to enjoy Risk of Rain than they are to enjoy Gran Turismo or Titanfall. There is virtually no shared DNA between them, and a term that includes both of them isn't useful.

This results in a frustrating situation for someone who enjoys traditional roguelikes but doesn't care for roguelites, since roguelites have broader appeal. Searching for roguelikes or places to talk about roguelikes is difficult when you're constantly running into false positives that turn out to actually be a completely different genre.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

cock hero flux posted:

the primary reason for sticking to a strict definition is that by broadening it to this extent you include what are essentially several completely different genres of games. A strict definition roguelike and something like Risk of Rain share almost nothing in common. Someone who likes say, DCSS, isn't any more likely to enjoy Risk of Rain than they are to enjoy Gran Turismo or Titanfall. There is virtually no shared DNA between them, and a term that includes both of them isn't useful.

This results in a frustrating situation for someone who enjoys traditional roguelikes but doesn't care for roguelites, since roguelites have broader appeal. Searching for roguelikes or places to talk about roguelikes is difficult when you're constantly running into false positives that turn out to actually be a completely different genre.

the only real useful distinguishing factor is whether the games are turn based or not, and whether there is metaprogression. the other aspects of the strict definition suck because everyone who uses them is a tedious nerd, and thus should never be listened to.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
a “roguelite” is a game from the lineage of spelunky, a game that is not a roguelike but is a game of a different genre that is heavily influenced by roguelikes. nowadays roguelites are probably mostly influenced by other roguelites but derek yu definitely played games like nethack or shiren. if I were as widely held in contempt as orange devil is I would probably not post about how other people have no friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I have lots of friends whom I play wizard of legend and other co-op action roguelikes with metaprogression with