Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

$60 from the sale, brand new! Pushes out some serious lows. The Orange 15 Watt in the pic can't really take it but it sounds amazing through my 100 Watt Rockerverb. Playing Michael Jackson basslines on guitar is a blast and its a lot of fun with distortion too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hallelujah I'm not the only one that sets the pedal on top of the amp. Cool pedal, btw.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

New fuzz. I kept looking at all these $300 boutique fuzz boxes but come the gently caress on, nothings better than the good ol EHX big box Pi and it was 87 bucks shipped, brand new. Sounds great. All I play is Dino Jr and Kyuss riffs now. Can't wait to kick the poo poo out of it and get the screen print nice and scuffed up.

Also this thing:

Had it one day and I already want another one.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Couldn’t find a fault on the Squier Affinity Jazzmaster. The QC on this $299 instrument is impressive. It’s a good contrast to my LP. The shape of the body makes it very comfortable to lean on, and the sound of both pickups is really nice.

The Yamaha transacoustic plays and sounds quite good with no effects on.
It’s really cool to have a studio sound come straight from the guitar.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

New fuzz. I kept looking at all these $300 boutique fuzz boxes but come the gently caress on, nothings better than the good ol EHX big box Pi and it was 87 bucks shipped, brand new. Sounds great. All I play is Dino Jr and Kyuss riffs now. Can't wait to kick the poo poo out of it and get the screen print nice and scuffed up.

Big Muffs rule.

Here's a video I found the other day of somebody making me try real hard to not get one myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDyz6qsD0kU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Also this thing:

Had it one day and I already want another one.

Are you in the PNW? ...Ambulance in the parking lot? 90% sure I was the seller

If so... thank you again, and glad its such an instant hit!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

JamesKPolk posted:

Are you in the PNW? ...Ambulance in the parking lot? 90% sure I was the seller

If so... thank you again, and glad its such an instant hit!

Lol yep! Small fuckin world. Its great, been having a lot of fun with it. Cheers!

GreatGreen posted:

Big Muffs rule.

Here's a video I found the other day of somebody making me try real hard to not get one myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDyz6qsD0kU

Its a great pedal, but it doesn't sound that good out of the box. Thats a lot of post.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Finally 🙏(Got it brand new from the company after my turn on the waitlist came up)

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kvlt! posted:

Finally 🙏(Got it brand new from the company after my turn on the waitlist came up)

Hell yeah. Which options did you go with?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lawen posted:

Hell yeah. Which options did you go with?

I went with high gain red side, a little unorthodox but after playing for an entire day I'm really happy with the decision. I have to say, I don't usually buy into the hype for legendary pedals (I got the chance to play a real Klon once and was incredibly dissapointed), but this really does live up to the hype. Tried it in a Mesa Boogie MKV and an Orange Rockerverb MkIII 100 Watt and it just makes both absolutely shine.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Kvlt! posted:

Sweet! How much you think you can flip it for on Reverb? Jk, but man its dumb there's a 5 year waitlist for these things. Its cool you were able to get one!

I just got this thing:

I'm going to be working out of town for a couple of months so I used that as an excuse to pull the trigger. I havent used it too much yet but I dialed in an orange rockerverb tone that sounds killer, to me at least. It also acts as an audio interface and has a bunch of effects, of course, so that should save me having to pack a bunch of gear just to noodle around on guitar while I'm away from home.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sweet! How much you think you can flip it for on Reverb? Jk, but man its dumb there's a 5 year waitlist for these things. Its cool you were able to get one!

I just got this thing:

I'm going to be working out of town for a couple of months so I used that as an excuse to pull the trigger. I havent used it too much yet but I dialed in an orange rockerverb tone that sounds killer, to me at least. It also acts as an audio interface and has a bunch of effects, of course, so that should save me having to pack a bunch of gear just to noodle around on guitar while I'm away from home.

Yeah, that rockerverb model is a great one. Definitely check out some videos on how to set up some good sounds and use the extended parameters on amps (the sag, hum, ripple, bias, and bias x controls). There's more depth than my brain is capable of handling, but I've found at least a few settings to start from and tweak. Even with the limited number of blocks, you can do a LOT with the stomp. I'd suggest checking out some of this guy's videos, they have a ton of info about the various models in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hnBfwUZfWI

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

The Leck posted:

Yeah, that rockerverb model is a great one. Definitely check out some videos on how to set up some good sounds and use the extended parameters on amps (the sag, hum, ripple, bias, and bias x controls). There's more depth than my brain is capable of handling, but I've found at least a few settings to start from and tweak. Even with the limited number of blocks, you can do a LOT with the stomp. I'd suggest checking out some of this guy's videos, they have a ton of info about the various models in there:

I did mess around with the sag, bias, and hum to try and get a pushed power section sound. Also adjusted the low and high cut to take out the harshness. I have an older AxeFX Ultra so I have some familiarity with model tuning controls but I'll def check out some of those tutorial videos because I'm sure there's a bunch of little tweaks and tricks to getting a good sound with this unit. I haven't even looked at HX Edit yet. I was a little worried about the stock cab IRs since I had seen some reviews that said they were bad but, honestly, they're pretty good if you take time to adjust the mic type and placement to fit the amp model. Maybe they aren't as good as ownhammers or whatever, but they certainly aren't trash like a lot of youtubers make them out to be. So far, I'm pretty stoked on this little box.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

What, you don't get birthday texts from a pawn shop?

$67 after tax. Have wanted to try one for a while, and at least if I don't like it I might make a few bucks on it. My other "choice" was a mid-70s master volume/pull boost Twin Reverb that would have been ~$525, but I honestly think I can get it for less without a coupon, and I have no use for it right now, anyway. I also don't want to carry it to my car, or load it in my car, or unload it, or carry it up the stairs.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And a late, late B-Day present

Epiphone ET-290, sometimes referred to as a Crestwood or Wilshire. Made in Japan by Matsumoku, sometime in the late 70s. Three piece maple body and bolt-on three piece maple neck, with decent figure on all of it.

Doesn't show real well in the pics, but all the hardware is gold and in pretty decent shape for being 40+ years old.

Even though I have a bunch of Wilshires I'd always avoided the Japanese ones because I prefer the batwing headstock models, and the prices are just getting insane. This popped up at $450 shipped and I grabbed it because they've been selling for close to double that lately. Weight is around 7.5 pounds, which is heavy for this body shape, my reissues are all 6 pounds or lower, with a 66 worn reissue barely over 5 lbs. Pickups are excellent and should be Maxons. Everything works like it should, and it plays damned nice.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I am making a little portable setup inside a camcorder case to take over to a friend's to gently caress around with. Probably OP-1, 0coast, KP3, beatstep and mixer in the case, and I got a Keystation mini 32 to go along with.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Considering I won’t have more than 2-3 synth modules going at a time, I’ve considered a smaller mixer like that one. Don’t FX pedals have stereo outputs, though?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Pollyanna posted:

Considering I won’t have more than 2-3 synth modules going at a time, I’ve considered a smaller mixer like that one. Don’t FX pedals have stereo outputs, though?

I know very little about pedals, but I know that some do indeed have stereo out

Mackie also makes two larger versions of this, the Mix8 that just adds channels and the ability to do frequency EQ on some of them, and the Mix12FX which has even more channels and some built in FX. This one was fifty bucks and I want to say the larger ones are like 80 and 120.

I have an Allen & Heath Zen12FX in my play space; oddly sometimes I'd actually like more channels but barely ever fark around with the FX.

Decayed
Dec 30, 2004

Shang-a-lang
Fun Shoe
Noise modifier/maker from Beautiful Noise Effects, so far it's lots of fun

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

The Yamaha transacoustic plays and sounds quite good with no effects on.
It’s really cool to have a studio sound come straight from the guitar.

I love my transacoustic. The fact that you can get that chorus and reverb while unplugged blows so many people's minds. Not to mention when you plug in at an open mic and the sound guy does a visible "WTF?!" as your sound kicks in.

Sure, it's a bit naff to go full effects all the time, but it's a very cool guitar. Especially if you attend a lot of unplugged sessions.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

How does that work? Is there like an internal speaker attached to the soundboard?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

ColdPie posted:

How does that work? Is there like an internal speaker attached to the soundboard?

Yeah... so you have three knobs on the guitar. Vol, Chorus and Reverb (actually spring/hall reverb on the same knob).

If you plug the guitar in it works like a standard electro-acoustic but has the effects too (great for plugging straight into a PA).

If you're unplugged you can hold down the volume (it's a push button too) and the internal speaker kicks in. It doesn't so much project anything in terms of extra volume, but it's enough so that the sound is coloured with the effects. It sounds like a terrible idea, but it's freaky just how good it sounds in person.

You can actually have both running at once, but that's kind of pointless

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
After almost 2 years of not playing guitar due to a cyst on my hand, I finally retrained myself so I can rock out without causing pain. Can’t do precise “bleed” style picking patterns anymore, but everything else seems to work with some technique adjustments!

As celebration, I got a few new pieces of gear (not my photos)

First up is a tiny acoustic!

Baby Taylor BT1

Got for $221 on clearance from GC. This thing is by far the best value I’ve seen in a travel guitar. Action is low, intonation is really good, sound is bright and punchy, weight is lmao.

I had a Martin backpacker for a while and was not impressed, the Taylor is everything I wished that could’ve been.

Headrush MX5

Got this guy for more portable noodling. Main rig is an AxeFX into my PC, and my jam rig is a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 20 watt.

Tbh, the Peavey is far too loud, it’s high gain tones are lacking a little, and the looper can’t do layers. It wasn’t bad for the price, just a major step down when I’d go from recording with the AFX.

The MX5 is replacing the Peavey entirely. It’s not Fractal quality, but it’s close enough that within an hour I was able to replicate my main AFX patches to a surprising degree. Especially after switching over to IRs for the cab sim.

The touchscreen is a genius choice, size is awesomely small, can do 4-cable for real-amp integration, has 11 fully customizable FX blocks, and sounds good enough that I’d be fine using this for recording in a pinch.

Only con is some of the FX could be better. Primarily verbs and delays, but I’m likely just spoiled from the AFX and software plugins.

And the final thing to round this out, coming tomorrow:

Headrush FRFR-108

Since I’m replacing the Peavey, needed something to project the sound. This looks like it’ll work fine, and should also work for vox or AxeFX if I want.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Slothful Bong posted:

Headrush FRFR-108

I've been using these in jams and rehearsals for about two months now and I can confirm the widely-reported perception that, when lying on the floor as a wedge, the cabs are boomy (the bass sounds very over-represented.)

On the other hand, they get LOUD. At a rehearsal I loaned one from my pair to the guy in the band who was playing keys and also wearing a guitar running through a Kemper floor unit. He ran the keys into one input, the Kemper into the other, and at rehearsal volume he cranked it pretty good (although from my side of the room I thought it was all the room PA - it was not) and he told me that even under the heaviest sounds he put through it, it never distorted. In the meantime I have just been using my one and I could blow out the whole room by accident, which is why I've been super careful with the output volume controls on my modeler.

They are still bass heavy but at rehearsal volume it evens out some and frankly, I can't believe what they can do and at that price point. I bought stands to put them on but haven't had the chance to try it, I'm told they sound really great up off the floor. I love 'em already. YMMV but I've compared to the HR 112 and... No thank you. The 108s are 19 lbs. each, and they are inexpensive. I know there are greater options out there but my modeler has four output EQs so I could just run one output to the HRs with a bass cut, while the FOH output is flat. Working out great so far.

Gonna use them Saturday live, I think one will be a guitar monitor and I'll have the sound guy run my band monitor mix to the other. I can report back afterwards.

To be fair I have also seen the 108s slammed pretty hard by some people. Not sure but maybe they got used to some amazing Mission stuff or Adam monitors and supposedly that's the only way to go other than IEMs for the new purists. Some people really don't like them, just throwing that out there.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sooooooo...apologies for the shameless plug.

However, this is the only place on SA where I music nerd so...enjoy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SOj8H-KTQk

I have posted my first YouTube video. It's a channel that's gonna be about gear and how I use it to make things.

I assure you this'll be the only time I mention it but HEY. Hopefully you enjoy!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

H13 posted:

Sooooooo...apologies for the shameless plug.

However, this is the only place on SA where I music nerd so...enjoy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SOj8H-KTQk

I have posted my first YouTube video. It's a channel that's gonna be about gear and how I use it to make things.

I assure you this'll be the only time I mention it but HEY. Hopefully you enjoy!

Pro click.

Hold off judgement when you first hear the guitars and their "accuracy" and keep watching.

And H13, you're also correct about Load being brilliant and Bob Rock being a genius and AJFA being Metallica's best record.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 3, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Liked, subscribed. You also are a much bigger Metallica fan than I am.

Love the technical info in there. It's high quality and yeah, pro-click for sure.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
This is my only non-offset instrument

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

Pro click.

Hold off judgement when you first hear the guitars and their "accuracy" and keep watching.

And H13, you're also correct about Load being brilliant and Bob Rock being a genius and AJFA being Metallica's best record.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Liked, subscribed. You also are a much bigger Metallica fan than I am.

Love the technical info in there. It's high quality and yeah, pro-click for sure.

Thanks for your kind words :). I was low-key expecting to get roasted on my first video attempt!

Captain Splendid posted:

This is my only non-offset instrument

P-Basses are the absolute poo poo. I bought one myself recently and they're a bit magic.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Dog_Meat posted:

I love my transacoustic. The fact that you can get that chorus and reverb while unplugged blows so many people's minds. Not to mention when you plug in at an open mic and the sound guy does a visible "WTF?!" as your sound kicks in.

Sure, it's a bit naff to go full effects all the time, but it's a very cool guitar. Especially if you attend a lot of unplugged sessions.

Yeah even my dad who doesn't know anything about guitars was able to immediately acknowledge what was happening. I find myself playing more solos and doing more fingerpicking with the reverb since thats where it helps the most.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

H13 posted:

Thanks for your kind words :). I was low-key expecting to get roasted on my first video attempt.
Ok. Let me try:
F@ck you for for setting the bar so high out of the gate.
That roasted enough for yah?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

B33rChiller posted:

Ok. Let me try:
F@ck you for for setting the bar so high out of the gate.
That roasted enough for yah?

poo poo. You're right.

gently caress it, iPhone videos from now on!

Thanks again for the kind words :)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I like the new channel, great first vid man! Nice tone too.

Well I got an amp, an Orange Crush Pro 60W - it's a transistorized Rockerverb MkIII, using TL072 JFET-fed op-amps. Long time posters may remember I have a love for solid state amps, and while I typically record with modelers these days I really loved how this sounded and of course the Orange look is great so I picked it up to have something quick and loud to use when I just want to jam. Here's a quick pic of where I have it at with the pedals I'm using these days on top, and a couple guitars adjacent :)

It sounds badass, IMO. Takes pedals really well, its clean channel actually reminds me of the old Peavey Special 212II I loved back in college that got me into pedal collecting in the first place because it was darker and actually really flattered high gain pedals even if they had a reputation for being buzzy. The drive channel sounds Orange as hell, a little more dry and gainy compared to a proper Rockerverb. Digging it a lot!

I also quite like those T-Rex pedals on top of it, by the way, Vulture and Nitros. The Joyo Tauren is a Klon clone and the Joyo Uzi is based on the BE-OD but not exactly the same, both seem a little better made than the old Joyos I was familiar with from the 2010s. Everyone probably knows the Metal Muff, that's the Nano version which has a noise gate built in that it doesn't really need because with a decent power supply these aren't noisy pedals. Maybe I'll get back into collecting the good poo poo pedals before it's all said and done. Had a ton of boutique pedals but there were some rough years, as I've mentioned, anyway it's good to be back friends.

Oh, I also traded in the Sterling MX8 for Yamaha HS8, which has been a big upgrade for sure. Love these monitors, they sound analytical but well balanced with great bass extension. I kept the Sterling MX3 though, rad little speakers and very portable!

x2

Edit: I also got one of those little Spark amp guys from the makers of Bias. I got this for its relative portability so I can take an amp with me easily when I don't feel like dealing with the logistics of lugging a big amp around. While it has some controls on the top that can be used in a pinch, as the picture suggests it has its best interface with an accompanying app for your phone that connects to it via Bluetooth. You can dial in your signal chain more completely using that, good access to controls for all the models that way. I liked it enough I actually got a pack of Jimi Hendrix gear for it they were selling too.

It works as an audio interface including an ASIO driver for quickly tracking if your jamming results in something cool and you want to jot it down as an idea. No dry DI track, just the processed audio on its recording output, and strictly via USB so no using it into a PA or whatever. When using it as an ASIO interface it will play your DAW's audio through its little flat response speakers, which is kinda neat as a capability. Sounds pretty good with synth software too.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 5, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
That's all very nice, but what is the metallic green guitar?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

That is my Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas Style 1 HH FR EBY, with the latter letters designating two humbucker ('59 in the neck, JB trembucker in the bridge), Floyd Rose 1000 series low profile trem (man some people love these, some people crap on 'em as inferior to the original Schaller-made ones, I see no issues with mine and have been using it heavily, seems to be great to me? I had some good locking trems over time too, anyway, I digress), and an ebony fretboard with a compound 12"-16" radius. No-load tone control takes the pot out of the circuit at max, and the volume knob has a push/pull coil tap (middle position, switches which two are blended from inner to outer). I love it, thanks for noticing :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 5, 2022

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

~2012 Squier Vintage Mod HSS Strat in Gunmetal. Came with a Gator "polyfoam" case, Snark tuner, and a Levy's strap for $152 at my favorite pawn shop.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That color is gorgeous. Nice snag!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

widefault posted:

~2012 Squier Vintage Mod HSS Strat in Gunmetal. Came with a Gator "polyfoam" case, Snark tuner, and a Levy's strap for $152 at my favorite pawn shop.

Hachi machi that's a hot lil ticket! Every time I hear someone poo poo on Squier (in this day and age even!) I always remember spicy little numbers like this.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That is an absolutely astounding get for $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Huxley posted:

That is an absolutely astounding get for $150.