Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

IG-88 posted:

i got my april fools records in
and they even sent fake pokemon cards

got my echojam. I kinda dig this chipmunk mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Bought too many records recently - none of which excited me as much as finding this :

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Stopped at the local record store on my lunch break. As usual they had a couple albums on the wall I couldn't resist.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

got paid, bookstore next to the pet store where I buy the cat food was open, bought more records

allmans - eat a peach
beatles - abbey road (the copy I got from my father-in-law is warped and all I find these days are copies of the 50th anniversary remix, so I had to, even though it was more expensive than I really should have paid. that said, it's in nice condition) *
peter gabriel - s/t (car)
robert fripp - god save the queen
genesis - s/t
boston - don't look back
jon & vangelis - private collection
jean-michel jarre - rendezvous

* fuckery. I should have discoged the serial in the runout grooves, it is the giles martin remix.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 2, 2022

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Numero is having a pretty good little sale right now.

https://numerogroup.com/collections/low-key-spring-blowout

I copped: Songs of the Jade Label, Shanghai'd Soul, Chasman, and Tommy McGee. Already have/would recommend Circuit Rider-Photograph Attached (Outsider Biker Rock n Roll) Numero 95 (Mallwave?) Syl Johnson (Soul)

And LITA is also having a sale but my wallet can't handle it. Looks like some animes and city pop which I know this thread likes.

https://lightintheattic.net/shelves/Sale

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

Numero is having a pretty good little sale right now.

https://numerogroup.com/collections/low-key-spring-blowout

I copped: Songs of the Jade Label, Shanghai'd Soul, Chasman, and Tommy McGee. Already have/would recommend Circuit Rider-Photograph Attached (Outsider Biker Rock n Roll) Numero 95 (Mallwave?) Syl Johnson (Soul)

And LITA is also having a sale but my wallet can't handle it. Looks like some animes and city pop which I know this thread likes.

Pretty wild cover art. And, Blue with yellow with a bit of red... ooo only twenty-three dollSEVEN INCH? $23 for a 7"? Fuuuuuuck yooooouuuuu

love that cover art tho

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
New acquisitions today!

Currently listening to the 6 album Celeste soundtrack while getting work done.

The 1982 pressing of Tron has, supposedly, never felt the touch of a needle. The vinyl looks utterly pristine. I'm going to hold off listening to it until my girlfriend, a huge Wendy Carlos fan, gets here next Tuesday.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Pretty wild cover art. And, Blue with yellow with a bit of red... ooo only twenty-three dollSEVEN INCH? $23 for a 7"? Fuuuuuuck yooooouuuuu

love that cover art tho

It was $33 originaly! Fuckin' Japanese records are so expensive. Sucks too cause it's a pretty dope version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDn3JYttraI

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Some stuff from the record show this weekend. There were vendors there with reasonable prices, and with nutso prices, but nothing too exciting for me. Also didn't help that I slept in and missed the early bird opening, but it was nice to sleep in.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Ha, I have both that Kool and the Gang album, and the Melba Moore "Read My Lips" album.

The latter has a great cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams".

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I forgot that I ordered Hug of Thunder by Broken Social Scene. I ordered it over a month ago directly from the label. They didn't send me an email saying it had shipped, so I was surprised when it got delivered today. Even more surprising that it didn't come in shrink wrap, and smelled like cigarette smoke. I kind of feel like they forgot to update their website to say that they no longer had any in stock, so someone just said gently caress it, and sent me their personal copy.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I forgot that I ordered Hug of Thunder by Broken Social Scene. I ordered it over a month ago directly from the label. They didn't send me an email saying it had shipped, so I was surprised when it got delivered today. Even more surprising that it didn't come in shrink wrap, and smelled like cigarette smoke. I kind of feel like they forgot to update their website to say that they no longer had any in stock, so someone just said gently caress it, and sent me their personal copy.

You have been blessed by the hourly workers holdback stash. May all your records be "back of the shelf finds" but only if you comment "bless you red plaid button down worker" in .40395 seconds!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I once received a record from Italians Do It Better with a huge corner ding on it. It had a big post it note with a big SORRY LAST ONE on it and they stuck like 50 stickers in the box, 20 posters and a test pressing for some upcoming release. They’re good people.

pwn
May 27, 2004

dorium posted:

and they stuck like 50 stickers in the box, 20 posters

So a typical IDiB shipment

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
My boyfriend and I went out to a show for my birthday. I already had this album on cassette but when my boyfriend saw the band's remaining stock he snapped up a copy for me.

The color of the vinyl is hard to get a photo of and looks almost black until you hold it up to the light.

The liner notes have D&D stats for our boy on the cover there too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

pwn posted:

So a typical IDiB shipment

It was definitely more than usual. They sent two records in one of those extra large record shipping boxes meant for like a stack of 8 single disc records

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

incoherent posted:

You have been blessed by the hourly workers holdback stash. May all your records be "back of the shelf finds" but only if you comment "bless you red plaid button down worker" in .40395 seconds!

I had been looking for a copy of Katie Kim's. Salt but had been unable to find it anywhere until I was in Dublin and just happened upon a record shop, raked the boxes and nothing. So just asked by chance if they had it but I just couldn't find it. He went for a rake and produced the last copy they had in the shop. A great day.

My deck has developed a weird fault. Sometimes when the arm returns its not triggering the table stop so it starts playing the record again. It happened after I moved it but everything 'looks' fine and it happens maybe half the time. No idea what's wrong with it really.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Holding seven inches of Peni in my hand rn. :unsmigghh:

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Neat pickup over the weekend. Andy Warhol-designed cover.

The store owner said they were selling it “cheap” because the record is beat and the sleeve is ripped along the bottom seam. The rip does kind of suck but the record plays just fine.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Saw this album cover, and was surprised to find out it came out in the loving 60’s:

The music is good poo poo. Like captain beefheart meets early black sabbath.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Holding seven inches of Peni in my hand rn. :unsmigghh:

When did these guys blow up anyway? I can’t believe how expensive their stuff is now.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Toe Rag posted:

I can’t believe how expensive their stuff is now.
Sealed Records is currently reissuing the entire discography, thankfully. Some of them are getting distributed stateside via Sorry State Records (they're currently stocking Death Church and Great War), but this one was import only for some reason or another. Cacophony's next in line and should be around in the next few months according to Sealed. :rock:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dorium posted:

It was definitely more than usual. They sent two records in one of those extra large record shipping boxes meant for like a stack of 8 single disc records

I can't gently caress with IDiB no mo. I need drumless & after dark 1 and i'm done.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bought some vinyls, have a code!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

Bought some vinyls, have a code!

I’m on my iPad so I won’t try the code, but it looks like the MP3s are up here too for anyone who wants this: https://archive.org/details/Coil-MusickToPlayInTheDarkVol2

I’m intrigued and have no clue what to expect.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

incoherent posted:

I can't gently caress with IDiB no mo. I need drumless & after dark 1 and i'm done.

Yep. It sucks that it’s come to this.

Adam miller’s solo album is really good though

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
From stereogums Number Ones column on biggies Hypnotize

I cannot believe herb alperts nephew is named Badazz

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Popped into the record shop today and picked up Goodnight Louisa - Human Danger, a real good synthy gothic album of self reflection

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

nitsuga posted:

I’m on my iPad so I won’t try the code, but it looks like the MP3s are up here too for anyone who wants this: https://archive.org/details/Coil-MusickToPlayInTheDarkVol2

I’m intrigued and have no clue what to expect.

Curious as to what your take on that actually was ...

hatelull fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 4, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

sporklift posted:

Good looking out, I just grabbed these two:

Nite Songs by Streetlife
https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7597-nite-songs

Shenmue 2 OST
https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7578-shenmue-ii

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

incoherent posted:

what's wrong with them? i must've missed something.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

dorium posted:

what's wrong with them? i must've missed something.

A bunch of artists on the label all left at the same general time. Not a lot of people willing to speak on the record but general consensus seems to be that the label is intentionally shelving their artists music. This pitchfork article is a good starting point.

https://pitchfork.com/news/did-chromatics-album-dear-tommy-ever-exist-in-the-first-place/

It all seems vaguely gaslighty. Chromatics splitting up in the way they (three of the four members released a statement that the band was over, no reference to the fourth member of the band….who is also the head of IDIB). Generally bad vibes overall and the music that has come from the label since all that is not great

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I got the new Belle and Sebastian in the mail. Forgot I ordered this, but apparently I was one of the first number of however many to order it because the band signed it. That's neat.

pwn
May 27, 2004

That sucks about Italians :( They were good people.

Nihonniboku posted:

I got the new Belle and Sebastian in the mail. Forgot I ordered this, but apparently I was one of the first number of however many to order it because the band signed it. That's neat.

Pics my man, please! You got the Monorail edition? That one sold out immediately.

Edit: Speaking of pics, here's a few from the past couple weeks.

The standard edition with the signed art print

The band signing the Monorail edition

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 4, 2022

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

Nice I considered it but left it too long. I do like ordering surprises for future me.

Last thing I preordered was the Gentle Sinners LP, a new project by Adain Moffat and the guy from The Twilight Sad.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

pwn posted:

Pics my man, please! You got the Monorail edition? That one sold out immediately.

Nah, it wasn't the Monorail edition, I've actually never heard of them. I had no idea there were so many shops that sold special edition vinyls like Vinyl Me Please.

Looking back in my email history, it looks like Spotify emailed me saying that the first 750 purchases would get a limited-edition black vinyl of the album with a signed insert exclusively for their top fans on Spotify.

Edit: Just saw your edit, looks like we got the same version! Top 750!

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 4, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Nah, it wasn't the Monorail edition, I've actually never heard of them. I had no idea there were so many shops that sold special edition vinyls like Vinyl Me Please.

Looking back in my email history, it looks like Spotify emailed me saying that the first 750 purchases would get a limited-edition black vinyl of the album with a signed insert exclusively for their top fans on Spotify.

Edit: Just saw your edit, looks like we got the same version! Top 750!

Yeah that's the same that Matador in the UK sold. I was a bit disappointed that the band so closely worked with Spotify but whatever, I was able to buy the same thing without supporting those bastards.

Anyway looks awesome! There were a number of retailer exclusives, I made an exhaustive post about it all back in March (and a follow-up). I haven't received any of mine yet, the photos are from the band's Twitter account (I only wish I had hardwood floors :( )

PS Monorail is a legendary record shop in Glasgow fyi, not to be confused with something like Vinyl Me Please, which is a modern mail order subscription service. Pedantry!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

pwn posted:

Yeah that's the same that Matador in the UK sold. I was a bit disappointed that the band so closely worked with Spotify but whatever, I was able to buy the same thing without supporting those bastards.

It shipped directly from Matador, I'm not sure if Spotify got a cut of it or not. I just used Spotify's presale code to pick up Broken Social Scene tickets.

pwn posted:

PS Monorail is a legendary record shop in Glasgow fyi, not to be confused with something like Vinyl Me Please, which is a modern mail order subscription service. Pedantry!

No, I appreciate the clarification. I'm still fairly new to record collecting, about 2 years in, and I really only ramped it up in the past 6 months since getting a raise at work. I'll check out those posts.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pwn posted:

Anyway looks awesome! There were a number of retailer exclusives, I made an exhaustive post about it all back in March (and a follow-up). I haven't received any of mine yet, the photos are from the band's Twitter account (I only wish I had hardwood floors :( )

I liked the little poo poo fit that Kevin from Avalanche threw about the record shop special editions that Monorail and Assai etc do. He goes on to basically accuse Aidan Moffat of trying to pad his sales with multiple editions for better chart placings.

https://twitter.com/avalanche_edin/status/1505099729234972673?t=7CS9qCOTB9qHjdQfXZcQNw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I liked the little poo poo fit that Kevin from Avalanche threw about the record shop special editions that Monorail and Assai etc do. He goes on to basically accuse Aidan Moffat of trying to pad his sales with multiple editions for better chart placings.

https://twitter.com/avalanche_edin/status/1505099729234972673?t=7CS9qCOTB9qHjdQfXZcQNw&s=19

quote:

One thing that shops don’t like to admit to is that among these devoted fans there is often a hardcore of people with disorders that make them obsessively collect – they can be guaranteed to buy the most limited edition of a release or indeed buy several slightly different releases.

:pwn: