Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
My Sennheiser HD58x cable is shorting out bad. Does anyone have a link to a reasonably priced replacement? I can't seem to find it on their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

DildenAnders posted:

My Sennheiser HD58x cable is shorting out bad. Does anyone have a link to a reasonably priced replacement? I can't seem to find it on their website.

I'm pretty sure it's this one: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories--hd-650--cable

e: nah, that has a big headphone jack. This one is 3.5mm. The headphone end is proprietary but I'm 99% sure they only use one type of two-pin connector across all models

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 20, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have the Sennheiser PC 350 headphones that I have been using for years and I love them but the replacement ear pads I bought are absolutely poo poo.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for good replacement pads?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've never tried any planar headphones. I noticed drop has the HIFIMAN HE-X4 and HE4XX on sale. Would either of these be a good introduction to planar headphones? I remember hearing HIFIMAN has QC issues in the past. Is that still be an issue?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The HE400 (what the X4 and 4XX are based on) is very well regarded as an entry planar, I haven't heard of any major issues with Hifiman recently but people do say the pads will need replacing sooner than you might like.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 20, 2022

Passburger
May 4, 2013

njsykora posted:

but people do say the pads will need replacing sooner than you might like.

Mine lasted for about a year of daily usage, but there are plenty of cheap and decent replacements on amazon and other places.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah my Sundaras are absolutely fine after 4 months but the first thing I was told in this thread when I said I'd bought them was to have replacement pads ready.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Kinda feel like I just got hosed on a (returnable, at least) purchase of the Drop Sennheiser PC38x.

So this thing has separate TRS connectors for headphones/mic on the long cable. If I plug it directly into my Windows PC, it works great, though the mic is pretty quiet and I had to mic boost it to get it really working.

However, my motherboard has kind of bad 3.5mm ports, and I want to use this thing with my Macbook as well. So I have a UGREEN USB Audio Adapter. This worked great with an old HyperX headset.

I go to use this on either the Windows or Mac computers, and the headphones sound great, but the mic is unusably quiet. I have to basically hold it to my lips and scream into it to get anything to pick up. This is at the max volume level I can get in Mac and Windows - and it's worth pointing out Windows doesn't actually have a "mic boost" option for a USB adapter, just a volume slider.

I've been trying to Google this problem ("pc38x mic quiet on usb adapter"), and I can find very few references, all of which are dead ends. Have any of ya'll run into this? Does anyone here successfully drive their mic with a USB adapter, and if so, what adapter? Otherwise I might just return this and get a USB-native device (or one that comes with its own DAC), this is a silly amount of hassle.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
The headband on my Plantronics Backbeat Fit 500 is about to break, so looking for another pair of gym headphones, preferably over ear to prevent them from falling off (one thing I did not like about the plantronics). Was also considering just getting a pair of Beats Flex, but my luck with IEMs fitting well isn't the best.

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 25, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got my $22 Chus today and I havent had a chance to listen to them yet but from the limited time I spent messing with the fit they are pretty dang comfortable. They seem incredibly well built for the price.

MarcusSA posted:

I have the Sennheiser PC 350 headphones that I have been using for years and I love them but the replacement ear pads I bought are absolutely poo poo.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for good replacement pads?

Anyone have a recommendation here? The last set from Amazon hasnt held up well at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My Chus haven't even shipped yet :negative:

Though I did buy the CCA CRA since everyone seems pretty high on them and I do want a new decent v-shape set. Also daily driving the ER2s this week and now I've figured out how to fit them consistently I'm finding them weirdly comfortable.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have the CRA since KZ keeps sending me stuff for no real reason. It sucks and I threw it in the trash. Also the 3 pack of KZs, which I forget the name of suck. In conclusion, stop buying KZ poo poo.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/cable-hd-650-apogee
Does anyone know if I can use this to replace the cable on my 58x? I don't really want to bother with third party, but the 10ft standard 650 cable is way too long.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Xik posted:

I've had my ATH-M50X for almost 8 years now, they've been through pad and headband replacements and also have a mod mic on them which has served me real well, super happy.

But recently I've been using this Jabra Evolve 75 Headset, purely for work purposes (meetings and music). Since I recently got a standing desk the wireless part is super good, I can switch positions without worrying about cables and can pace around the room during meetings. Also the ANC is so loving good and I'm mad I've been living without it. Putting them on removes the background hum of the AC and the various PC fans. I'm only borrowing these so I have to give them back at some point, plus I sort of hate on-ear so wouldn't want them permanently anyway...

So uh, is there such a thing as:
  • Roughly on par with ATH-M50X/Mod Mic (or better obviously)
  • Wireless both bluetooth and with a USB dongle.
  • Headset/Mic built in so I don't have to charge seperately.
  • Comfortable padded over ear.
  • ANC at least as good as the Jabra set.
Buget is sort of whatever I guess, as long as it ticks all the boxes... Was hoping to be able to just have one set I can use for both work (meetings/music) and random co-op gaming.

To follow up on my own post after a few months... I got the Sony WH-1000XM4 + a bluetooth dongle for my desktop and it basically has ticked all the boxes. I do music/video on moblile, laptop and desktop, do MS Teams calls on work laptop and Discord calls on desktop.

Every now and then I do a bit of co-op gaming + voice at the same time and it's significantly better quality then the Jabras I had borrowed.

ANC is very good and there are some other cool features like putting your hand over the ear to "reverse" the ANC which is great for quickly speaking to someone without having to take them off.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Wasn't really sure where to ask this question, but you all would probably be able to help. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but is there a dongle or DAC or amplifier that's not ginormous, doesn't need an external power source, that I can use with my chromebook to make using my large over-the-ear headphones sound not lovely with my Acer Chromebook? Either through a USB port or the headphone jack?

My Asus Gaming Laptop has Dolby software, with a bunch of gimmick modes that makes headphones sound terrible and are thankfully defeatable, but it also lets you tune the equalization and I made a custom profile for the Phillips 9600's I have that really gives them some punch, and it seems to be able to drive them just fine as I never really have to crank the volume for them to get loud, but with the Chromebook the volume is severely lacking. The sound is weak and tinny, no bass, and just not enjoyable.

I guess I'm just looking for a small device I can use with the Chromebook that would make listening to music not suck. Preferably I'd like to be able to shape the sound to my liking as Chromebooks don't seem to offer such eq function.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Apple USB-C headphone dongle, or if you really want something more beefy Fiio E10K-C which has a bass boost switch on it and is about $50-60. I use the latter with my Macbook.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

Apple USB-C headphone dongle, or if you really want something more beefy Fiio E10K-C which has a bass boost switch on it and is about $50-60. I use the latter with my Macbook.

That reminded me that I do have an Anker USB-C-to-3.5mm adapter but when I tried using it with my Chromebook just now, it showed up as Hi-Res Audio:USB, but there was no sound output at all to the headphones. :smith:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mental Hospitality posted:

That reminded me that I do have an Anker USB-C-to-3.5mm adapter but when I tried using it with my Chromebook just now, it showed up as Hi-Res Audio:USB, but there was no sound output at all to the headphones. :smith:

might be a settings box buried somewhere that you have to toggle

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

My friend has a pair of Blue Mo-Fi headphones and the right ear stopped working. Have tried the most obvious stuff (just replacing the cable), is there any other easy or moderately difficult way to diagnose and fix it

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
After trying and sending back some $20 Xiaomi earbuds that had horrible latency I got a pair of Treblab Z2's. Fit my big head, over ear, and secure. Don't have much ANC experience, it just seems to make the music slightly louder instead of kinda muffled with it off.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't know if this is the best thread for this but I feel like people who are in to headphones will at least know where to start.

I'm looking for recommendations of ear protection to wear at concerts.

I was bad in my teens and 20s and definitely did some damage which I've begin to notice in my 30s. I have tickets to the Rammstein show in a few months so I'm looking for something that will save my ears and be comfortable for a few hours of use while still letting me hear the show clearly.

I've seen Vibes and Loop discussed a lot online, and I also see Etymotics has some offerings. I'm pretty sure I see them mentioned here regularly in the context of IEMs so I'm assuming they have some relevant knowledge. Will one of these companies' $25-35 products be noticeably better than a set of the cheap disposable ones I have for yard work?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

wolrah posted:

I don't know if this is the best thread for this but I feel like people who are in to headphones will at least know where to start.

I was bad in my teens and 20s and definitely did some damage which I've begin to notice in my 30s. I have tickets to the Rammstein show in a few months so I'm looking for something that will save my ears and be comfortable for a few hours of use while still letting me hear the show clearly.

I've seen Vibes and Loop discussed a lot online, and I also see Etymotics has some offerings. I'm pretty sure I see them mentioned here regularly in the context of IEMs so I'm assuming they have some relevant knowledge. Will one of these companies' $25-35 products be noticeably better than a set of the cheap disposable ones I have for yard work?

Ety plugs are good enough that I had a custom set molded, but the $15 ones universal ones are just fine. Ive never tried any of those other brands, but they all look pretty close to the same thing. Once your ears adjust, they're a pretty flat attenuation compared to foam plugs that make everything sound dull and muffled.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
+1, I got a $20 universal fit set and theyre much nicer than foam or more heavy duty plastic/rubber sets that arent designed for live music.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I bought jabra elite Bluetooth earbuds,
The sound is ok, a little dull, but acceptable. But these new earbuds fit so tight that the amount of noise from movement or bone conduction (I guess that's what it's called?) gets so loud I can't really use them while walking or running. Or I have to try to run at the exact pace of the beat of the music. I've always had extremely sensitive hearing when it comes to this, so I wonder if other people have that problem too?

The active noise cancelling is also bit pointless for me. It's pretty good at cutting out noise from for example a train. But it doesn't cut out conversations. So if I'm on the train it cuts out the noise from the train and makes the 5 people calling loudly on the phone more audible. So I just never use it and actually went back to a pair of dirt cheap earbuds, the only problem there is that their batteries run out very fast.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

abraham linksys posted:

Kinda feel like I just got hosed on a (returnable, at least) purchase of the Drop Sennheiser PC38x.

So this thing has separate TRS connectors for headphones/mic on the long cable. If I plug it directly into my Windows PC, it works great, though the mic is pretty quiet and I had to mic boost it to get it really working.

However, my motherboard has kind of bad 3.5mm ports, and I want to use this thing with my Macbook as well. So I have a UGREEN USB Audio Adapter. This worked great with an old HyperX headset.

I go to use this on either the Windows or Mac computers, and the headphones sound great, but the mic is unusably quiet. I have to basically hold it to my lips and scream into it to get anything to pick up. This is at the max volume level I can get in Mac and Windows - and it's worth pointing out Windows doesn't actually have a "mic boost" option for a USB adapter, just a volume slider.

I've been trying to Google this problem ("pc38x mic quiet on usb adapter"), and I can find very few references, all of which are dead ends. Have any of ya'll run into this? Does anyone here successfully drive their mic with a USB adapter, and if so, what adapter? Otherwise I might just return this and get a USB-native device (or one that comes with its own DAC), this is a silly amount of hassle.

Sounds like your USB adaptor thingie might be the culprit. That's a wild guess as when it comes to PC audio there are a dozen properties screens that might influence this.

Take your headphones to someone else's PC and see if the microphone works there. Try a few PCs, ideally different makes.

You can get smashing audio gear for a cheap price these days but I'm still willing to toss a $13 dongle built with margins slimmer than paper under the bus before I consider anything else.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

https://www.hearos.com/collections/events

Cheap disposables are fine but they're disposable so it all depends how confident you are not to lose fancier ones versus replacing the cheapies routinely. The nicer ones are still relatively cheap though and when in a crowd you look a bit less dorky putting in something made of transparent silicon than safety bright disposables. Your call.

Sorry to answer your question - even the cheapest disposables used by the hundreds found in large industrial sites will be perfectly fine so long as they're rated for the noise level you need. You pay more for the non-disposable aspect.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 3, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.amazon.com/Fidelity-Mus...s%2C125&sr=8-49

Much better for a concert.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Etymotic ER-20 are my go-to hearing protection for concerts, they're incredibly good. The only problem is that inserting and removing them... well, they're etymotics. It's worth it for the clean volume reduction though.

DancingShade posted:

Sorry to answer your question - even the cheapest disposables used by the hundreds found in large industrial sites will be perfectly fine so long as they're rated for the noise level you need. You pay more for the non-disposable aspect.

Well, also you're paying for SPL reduction that doesn't mess with your ear's frequency sensitivity. Industrial ear protection will protect your ears, but the concert will sound like rear end.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Etymotic ER-20 are my go-to hearing protection for concerts, they're incredibly good. The only problem is that inserting and removing them... well, they're etymotics. It's worth it for the clean volume reduction though.

What do you mean by this? The ER20XSes are my current leader just because it's a brand I was already aware of in a relevant context, but I've never actually used their products so I don't know anything about how they fit.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They fit DEEP. You get used to it but at first it's like having your brain fingered at both ends. Worth it imo, just something to be aware of.

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
hey y'all i just got an industrial and both my lobes pierced and i just now realized i shouldnt wear headphones for close to a year. what are some deece earbuds i can get that aren't wireless? i dont own any, i just need to have some way to get half decent bass in my brain outside my car lol

ainda_ fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 6, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
How much you wanna spend? The new cheap hotness is the moondrop chu, but I'd rec the BLON 03 over that if you're looking for bass. Fiio FH3 is a good step up from there, and the FHE: Eclipse is a retuned version of that with even more bass.

e: if you're looking for dirt rear end cheap, the cca cra is acceptable

e: vvvv oh yeah the tripowin mele is right up your alley, that's probably what you want

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 6, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Moondrop Aria, Tripowin x HBB Mele is a potential cheaper alternative to the FHE.

Also my Chus finally shipped today :toot:

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 6, 2022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I finally took a plunge on the Blessing 2 Dusk as an upgrade from my Arias, and ordered some Chus along with it just to have a cheap backup pair and also get the Spring Tips they come with.

Still not shipped though :ohdear:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
My Radsone ES100 finally died a little while ago, the battery just wouldn't take a charge anymore. I was going to get a Qudelix-5K but they were out of stock everywhere (although I see they are available again), I went with the iFi Go Blu and I'm super happy with it. I think it sounds better than even my Topping EX5, or at least, sounds less clinical and more inviting than the Topping. The one touch EQ bass boost/soundstage switch enhancements are good, especially the bass boost, it just gives a little extra tilt upwards in the sub bass that plays super nicely with my planar IEMs (which is what I use like 75% of the time anymore).

I also paired it with a FiiO BTA30 Pro transmitter since it outputs LDAC, and I'm super happy with this setup. Granted, I have a very small house, so I don't know if it would be as good in a larger space, but I now have LDAC quality transmission from whatever computer I'm using as my source at the time, and can roam the whole house with any headphones I want, not just my TWS.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

trem_two posted:

my planar IEMs (which is what I use like 75% of the time anymore).

Yeah, the Timeless are still my all day everyday. It's a great driver. I'm curious about that Raptgo thing where they put it in an open back shell, but i probably won't go out of my way to track one down.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah, the Timeless are still my all day everyday. It's a great driver. I'm curious about that Raptgo thing where they put it in an open back shell, but i probably won't go out of my way to track one down.

Yeah I've been curious about that one too, open back + the bone conduction driver is intriguing. I figure it probably makes sense to wait through another iteration or two in the planar wars, before long someone's going to drop like an S-tier planar for $300 or something.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Got my Chu's today through hifigo. Only took 3 weeks. Not bad.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I wanted to take my ER4s on a long plane trip and discovered that the cable is completely hosed. I replaced the 3.5mm jack but the right side was still refusing to play. Turns out the cable is also broken near the splitter, too, and is completely beyond repair.

Does anyone know where it's possible to get the older type two pin cable like this? Idealy that would ship internationally.

All I found is some old threads and AliExpress sellers but it all seems somewhat questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I get a bunch of iem stuff including etymotic cables from aliexpress and never had an issue, for what it's worth. You could maybe find one on amazon, but in all likelihood it's the same people in china just selling through different shops.