Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/02/nyregion/nyc-speeding-traffic-deaths.html

quote:

A new billboard in East New York shows a pedestrian thrown into the air after bouncing off the front of a car, as his coffee splashes everywhere. “Speeding ruins lives,” it says. “Slow down.”

The goal of the campaign is to scare speeding drivers in this Brooklyn neighborhood, where 35 people have been killed in traffic crashes since 2017.

It is part of New York City’s latest effort to battle rampant speeding, which has turned neighborhood streets into raceways and propelled traffic deaths to the highest level in eight years.

Local government will do literally anything other than take effective action on car violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it's funny because billboards only exist to distract drivers

mystes
May 31, 2006

What a great idea, "scare" drivers by reminding them that only other people will suffer repercussions from their actions.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
https://twitter.com/M_WrenchGang/status/1521067836449374209

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

distortion park posted:

Local government will do literally anything other than take effective action on car violence.

Pairs nicely with that research that showed similar signs in Texas actually made things worse lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lol
https://twitter.com/mnolangray/status/1519521667290058752?s=20&t=zdDUDFAA2fw4t1SsG8f39A

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ironically it would be a good traffic-calming measure if they'd done that to the street

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Ironically it would be a good traffic-calming measure if they'd done that to the street

Cars would just cut across the middle line and shoulder/sidewalk to avoid turning so hard.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Finally, Dahir Insaat has embraced revolutionary thought

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Xaris posted:

this is getting cross contaminated with climate thread but nano/microplastics seem to be a very plausible reason. they get into cells easily and haver been shown to cause immune response and inflammation = cell death = cancer nucleation point, ontop of the whole hormonal disruption thing. and they're also from tires which is a big source of how much they spread all over.

I already worried about all the plastic in my lungs, now plastic is up my rear end? Even when I don't put it there? I can't wait for the Plastics Industry Association propaganda on how microplastics are actually good for you.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Epic High Five posted:

Finally, Dahir Insaat has embraced revolutionary thought

holy poo poo i know this name~

the whole carcentric urban design is just one big scam, he must be the elon musk of it

mystes
May 31, 2006

You were asking for sidewalks and everyone loves platformer games, so why are you suddenly complaining that you have to dodge koopas and jump over spinning platforms over pits of spikes in order to walk to the supermarket?!

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

it's crazy to me how far you can hear traffic if you are trying to enjoy the outdoors. i swear I have to go at least a mile into the woods before I stop hearing the highway.

I thought this was interesting:

"The right temperatures and wind conditions can bend highway noise like a prism bends light, thwarting roadside sound barriers and plopping sounds as loud as a vacuum cleaner into the yards of residents more than a quarter of a mile away. The effect often happens at dawn and dusk because sound bends from hotter air into cooler air. During the day, the ground is hotter than the air above it so sound bends vertically upward. The team reported that sound levels at the locations they measured a third of a mile from the highway — which normally have little highway noise the level of quiet rain — were at times above 67 decibels"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

What a great idea, "scare" drivers by reminding them that only other people will suffer repercussions from their actions.

This is amusing enough on its own but I laughed harder at the implication that they might care about the actions that effect them personally. Just a whole nation with a death wish

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

poo poo like this is why whenever you hear a landscape architect or urban planner use the word "experiential" they should be immediatly fired out of a cannon.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

it's very stupid and hosed up is when libs are like "we can't ban cars what about all the poor brown and black people who have to get to work"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PennDOTNews/status/1521109951262904321?s=20&t=4mp-Di0Mx6nVeSRHyLAeYg

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I guess if you're hard of hearing, gently caress you, it's your fault if you get hit

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Driver Safety Tips: don't run over people

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"make eye contact"

*every car has tinted windows*

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Norton posted:

it's crazy to me how far you can hear traffic if you are trying to enjoy the outdoors. i swear I have to go at least a mile into the woods before I stop hearing the highway.

It's really noticeable coming from a place with no highways to an American city with giant highways with speeds over 70 mph. It's just a constant roar of white noise over the city.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

"make eye contact"

*every car has tinted windows*
It's loving crazy every car is like vantablack tinted now why the gently caress is this allowed (in some places I think there are legal limits but I'm not sure it's actually enforced anyway)? It seems like a pretty important safety thing that people should be able to see into cars.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

distortion park posted:

this is going to lead to more deaths by giving drivers ideas

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mystes posted:

It's loving crazy every car is like vantablack tinted now why the gently caress is this allowed (in some places I think there are legal limits but I'm not sure it's actually enforced anyway)? It seems like a pretty important safety thing that people should be able to see into cars.

it’s a poor person ghetto thing to avoid getting pulled over for the crime of driving while brown but now it’s been appropriated by aging white boomers in 100k ford 950 trucks and huge suvs

but yes it’s never enforced

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I tried to make eye contact but the driver never looked up from their phone.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pushtheneedle/status/1520433203089076225

loving delayed a housing development by a year over the brick pattern of a wall facing a loving parking lot.

You've already decided to put the most hideous possible development there--a parking lot--so who gives a flying gently caress what the wall facing it looks like?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i hate this loving state

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A few years back I was crossing Stanwix with the light at this intersection:

Dude turning right on red nearly hit me, when I waved to him he screeched "gently caress YOU" at me and drove around me, and ran the light at Penn. If his windows weren't down I'd have never been able to make eye contact with him or even see who nearly killed me.

You know he went home and told his wife that someone jumped out in front of him too

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you got run over the police would be saying "this shows why pedestrians need to be more careful"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

it’s a poor person ghetto thing to avoid getting pulled over for the crime of driving while brown but now it’s been appropriated by aging white boomers in 100k ford 950 trucks and huge suvs

Doesn't that make it more effective?

And yeah I hate the window tinting too but I don't think it's even optional anymore. Every car just ships off the factory floor with pitch black windows.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Xaris posted:

It's definitely enforced. Selectively.

mystes posted:

If you got run over the police would be saying "this shows why pedestrians need to be more careful"

It's a means to predominantly kill poor people, ofc they're not gonna do poo poo lol

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Xaris posted:

you get pulled over for having tints in the suburbs it's just a fake badass flex

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

a_pineapple posted:

it's very stupid and hosed up is when libs are like "we can't ban cars what about all the poor brown and black people who have to get to work"

It compliments when they say "we can't have public transportation, they'll ride the train to my neighborhood and steal my tv."

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

PeterCat posted:

It compliments when they say "we can't have public transportation, they'll ride the train to my neighborhood and steal my tv."

also it would be gentrification if we built those things

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

also it would be gentrification if we built those things

This is my favorite one.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

War and Pieces posted:

you get pulled over for having tints in the suburbs it's just a fake badass flex
not in california anyways. plus it's ridiculously easy to get a "cert" for that says "yes it's 70%" when its actually like 50. . back and rear side are allowed to be painted black and there's no requirement there.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

DEATH TO CARS
DEATH TO TRUCKS
A CURSE UPON THE AUTOMOBILE
VICTORY TO TRAINS
ALLAHU ACKBAR

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

She was asking for it, look at what she was wearing (anything other than full body industry grade retroreflectors)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/noneck/status/1521497950362480643?s=20&t=7QeTREP4nQGmXDa0ocp_5Q

the degree to which capitalism/neoliberalism have subverted and watered down Vision Zero into nothing but politely asking drivers to not murder children is really a loving masterclass lol