Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Let’s chill, no one likes Gideon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ZeusCannon posted:

Possibly Spoilery Quest question:

im tryin not to spoil myself on too much but I know from reading the thread that you can use seluvis potion on the doodoo man.

I've also picked up from discussion here that to do so i cant progress Ranni or Seluvis quest at all.

Does that mean not going to Siofra with Blaidd or beating Big Red until i have talked with doo doo man in real life?

I ask because I have no idea where doo doo man is in the world atm only that he isn't anywhere I've found and I want to fight Radahn or explore Siofra more since the Capital steps are bouncing me hard atm.

Vague-post:

From where you're at you can safely meet Blaidd and do Radahn

Then you'll gain access to the capital and the Poo man quest begins.

What you CAN'T do is go underground after Radahn and pick up the special knife from the spooky underground place that opens up only after Radahn.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

Let’s chill, no one likes Gideon

Gideon is the ultimate "call on me, teacher" rear end nerd and that's a great character.

He sucks so bad, but it's so perfect for a character in this setting.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I love Gideon.

I love Gideon's armor.

I love murdering Gideon for his armor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
thanks for the info about Rock Sling causing Stagger damage, now my dumb rear end is killing Storm Hill giants in sub 20 seconds

is that the best i'm gonna do for Soul farming pre-Academy? i haven't even got the Glintstone Key yet

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Flytrap posted:

I love Gideon.

I love Gideon's armor.

I love murdering Gideon for his armor.

The only bad thing about Gideon is they nerfed being able to melt the eyeballs out of his skull through the power of friendship with the one true God.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

dodgeblan posted:

Elden Ring is the first from soft game that has good NPCs and great NPC storylines. Most people will get to experience them and get the jist of them without needing to use guides or anything. Alexander, Iiji, Ranni, Blaid, Rogier, Fia, Seluvis, Diallos, Prawn Man, Volcano Manor, Gideon, Dung Eater are all have fantastic little stories that would be made worse if you knew exactly where you were going to meet them.

People loving love these characters. People loved Solaire but that was mostly off of the strength of that first interaction.

Not to mention, people LOVE Roderika and Hewg in a way that never happened for other hub characters, i.e. the Doll and Gehrman or anyone at Firelink. I suspect this is because of the active role the player takes in forming their relationship, but they're both so lovable it's hard not to like them regardless.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 3, 2022

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Unless you're maxing out weapons at the endgame you really really shouldn't need to farm. Spend that time being thorough with your exploration and helping noobs with bosses and you'll be swimming in runes.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

i've never completed solaire's quest, and i don't think i even knew seigmeyer had a quest til like last year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I bit the bullet and respecced from dex/int to more of an int dominated build, mostly because I've been using sorceries more and more as the game has gone on. I still even with that don't have as much int as I'd like. I think I'm like level 75 with 25 mind, 26 end, 32 or so int, and maybe like 20 vigor? 16 dex I believe to use the brass shield. I suppose I could have gone less end but I like wearing heavier armor and being able to have both a melee weapon/staff equipped plus a shield. I've respecced my Nightrider Flail to be a magic flail and I'm using Moonveil as well now.

I think now I'm gonna just pump int for a while to try and up my damage more. I just finished Caelid and I'm gonna be doing the Plateau next.

For my second play I'm gonna go more offensive and either power stance something or do a str/faith build.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Unless you're maxing out weapons at the endgame you really really shouldn't need to farm. Spend that time being thorough with your exploration and helping noobs with bosses and you'll be swimming in runes.

Also don't be afraid to burn Rune arcs.

They give those away like Halloween candy in PvP and you'll have 30,000 of them in NG+

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/twY3Wof.mp4

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The dragons didn’t do anything to anybody, and I might just finish the game without killing them (except I killed Draco von Plague-O in Caelid; he was an ecological threat)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

precision posted:

thanks for the info about Rock Sling causing Stagger damage, now my dumb rear end is killing Storm Hill giants in sub 20 seconds

is that the best i'm gonna do for Soul farming pre-Academy? i haven't even got the Glintstone Key yet
If you do the white mask's quest he'll give you a badge that will take you to a world of very valuable frog men, which will get you into the 100s easily

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ginette Reno posted:

I bit the bullet and respecced from dex/int to more of an int dominated build, mostly because I've been using sorceries more and more as the game has gone on. I still even with that don't have as much int as I'd like. I think I'm like level 75 with 25 mind, 26 end, 32 or so int, and maybe like 20 vigor? 16 dex I believe to use the brass shield. I suppose I could have gone less end but I like wearing heavier armor and being able to have both a melee weapon/staff equipped plus a shield. I've respecced my Nightrider Flail to be a magic flail and I'm using Moonveil as well now.

I think now I'm gonna just pump int for a while to try and up my damage more. I just finished Caelid and I'm gonna be doing the Plateau next.

For my second play I'm gonna go more offensive and either power stance something or do a str/faith build.

Dogg if you've got 20 Vigor you're gonna get two-shot by a lot of the stuff on the Plateau I think. I'm surprised that was enough to get through Caelid, really. I would definitely not pump Int any more until you're at 30 or more Vigor, and the general advice is to get at least 40 (if not 50) by endgame.

dodgeblan posted:

Elden Ring is the first from soft game that has good NPCs and great NPC storylines. Most people will get to experience them and get the jist of them without needing to use guides or anything. Alexander, Iiji, Ranni, Blaid, Rogier, Fia, Seluvis, Diallos, Prawn Man, Volcano Manor, Gideon, Dung Eater are all have fantastic little stories that would be made worse if you knew exactly where you were going to meet them.

I mean, fantastic little stories, sure, but half of them are just so easily missable that there's gotta be a halfway point between knowing exactly where you're going to meet them and having them just randomly appear out in the open world somewhere that you may or may not ever explore. I dunno if I ever would have found Dung Eater if I didn't know about dropping down that well in the middle of the capital, and I ignored Big Boggart completely after getting the necklace from him (until I googled it). Then you've gotta find Diallos at a random spot in the middle of Liurnia IIRC, finding Nepheli to progress Gideon requires groping around blindly without a map in a dark poison swamp, and there are people in this very thread who didn't spot the Talk to Ranni dialogue that only shows up at the very first Site of Grace when you find her. Hell, I was googling the quests for the most part, and I still missed some of the Ijii/Blaidd stuff, since I didn't go back for an update at the right time or something.

They could definitely do something to improve the signposting without blowing up all the mystery.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I have close to 200 hours in the game and I found out yesterday and that Rogier shows up at the Roundtable at some point.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The biggest problem quests stages are the ones that involve going back to places you'd never have any reason to. I know he escapes regardless, but how the heck am I supposed to know that Blaidd is in the Forlorn Hound Goal? Yeah I know the name is a hint but that place was also the home of the Bloodhound Knight.

Also how was I supposed to know Blaidd was looking for the Bloodhound Knight when he only refers to him by a name I have no way to connect BHK to?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Updog Scully posted:

Not to mention, people LOVE Roderika and Hewg in a way that never happened for other hub characters, i.e. the Doll and Gehrman or anyone at Firelink.

At least for Roderika it's also that she is written as someone who actively seems to give a poo poo about the main character's well being and the well being of others e.g Hewg.

Also even with only being a bit into the game you can tell both characters are stoicly bearing up under incredibly lovely circumstances. Which i think we all appreciate more these days.

Not looking forward to the inevitable (because its dark souls) shitstorm I will unwittingly inflict upon them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Dogg if you've got 20 Vigor you're gonna get two-shot by a lot of the stuff on the Plateau I think. I'm surprised that was enough to get through Caelid, really. I would definitely not pump Int any more until you're at 30 or more Vigor, and the general advice is to get at least 40 (if not 50) by endgame.

Yeah I just checked my stats again and I guess my Vigor could use some work. I pumped it to 20 or so early in the game and then started working on other things. I do use a shield and typically wear heavy armor so maybe that's why I've mostly gotten away with it. I also usually wear Radagon's Talisman so my actual Vigor is more like 24-25 with that on I think. Still, I stopped raising it once I hit 21 and focused on other things for a while and you're probably right that I should work on it again.

Nothing really gave me too much trouble in Caelid other than the god damned bird mobs. According to the recommended level I'm above the recommendation for the Plateau so I don't expect to have an awful time there but I guess we shall see.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

mlmp08 posted:

The dragons didn’t do anything to anybody, and I might just finish the game without killing them (except I killed Draco von Plague-O in Caelid; he was an ecological threat)

A lot of the enemies seem like they're decent enough, just trying to get by, and really only attacking me because they're scared. I don't have anything against your Haligtree guys, I just wanted to say hi!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Flytrap posted:

Also how was I supposed to know Blaidd was looking for the Bloodhound Knight when he only refers to him by a name I have no way to connect BHK to?

His health bar shows his first name. I’m pretty sure connecting the evergaol and Blaidd is the only quest-related thing that I actually didn’t have to look up when I encountered it! Probably because I found Blaidd right after getting my rear end kicked by Darri a bunch of times.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Harriet Carker posted:

I gave Millicent a needle or something when I first met her and she got up and said she was going somewhere. That was about 60 hours ago and I haven't seen her since. I feel like this pretty much perfectly sums up my encounters with nearly every NPC in the game. :shrug:
That one isn't so bad because by then you've (are intended to have) done a bunch of ferrying trips back and forth between her and Gowry, so you go back to Gowry to check on the quest progress and she's there instead. Then she's like "Don't know why I came back here, I'm going somewhere else" and that's like your entire clue. At that point you have no idea what her goals even are other than Gowry mentioning her sisters and Malenia (if you revisit him again after she leaves his shack) in order to figure out a vague area to search (but also it's not the elevator to the Haligtree or the Haligtree area itself).

At least Alexander is constantly like "I'm headin East to the Festival at Redmane Castle" or "I'm going North to the volcano" at the end of his dialogues.

e: lmao i forgot, Gowry only mentions her sister after you've found her at the secret destination and given her the prosthesis, and Malenia after you buy an item that only becomes available at this point. So you literally have to find her without a single clue as to what her destination or even goals and motivation are.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 3, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ginette Reno posted:

Get like 10-20 more levels in health first, then get your int for damage. It’s ok to throw levels into endurance/mind here and there, but if you get health first and damage second, you’ll get your rear end kicked much less and then your attacks will slowly get more and more powerful. Int caps out at 80, you have plenty of time to level it later.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

withak posted:

His health bar shows his first name. I’m pretty sure connecting the evergaol and Blaidd is the only quest-related thing that I actually didn’t have to look up when I encountered it! Probably because I found Blaidd right after getting my rear end kicked by Darri a bunch of times.

Huh, I legit forgot that. I guess because any time I found one of those Goal's I slammed my head into it until I won and then immediately forgot about them beyond the swag they held.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Get like 10-20 more levels in health first, then get your int for damage. It’s ok to throw levels into endurance/mind here and there, but if you get health first and damage second, you’ll get your rear end kicked much less and then your attacks will slowly get more and more powerful. Int caps out at 80, you have plenty of time to level it later.

Yeah that makes sense. I've been eager to raise my damage but it's probably time to pump health again. Especially as things get harder I'm gonna need a little more health probably to not have a bad time.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I know two things about Millicent. Shes headed north following Malenia and she misses her arm.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ratios and Tendency posted:

okay mister i know that but i'm a dumb idiot babby and i'm tired of my exploration being interrupted by getting two-shot by things

i want to make the game as easy as possible and if i can get a few fast levels i'd rather do that than NOT do that

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think a paradigm people really need help getting over for a soulsgame is the idea that there's a certain style of play to adhere to depending on what they pick for their damage stat, only that they pick *a* damage stat and stick with it. you can be a dual greatsword wielding unga bunga build with nothing but int invested so long as you make your swords scale with int. you can cast all the incantations and sorceries you want as a strength build, all you need is to hit the int/faith breakpoints for what you want to cast and you're golden. you just need a single stat you want to crank for damage, and then make everything else fall in line.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, how do I pay From Software for my own mini Ranni The Witch!?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, how do I pay From Software for my own mini JarBro

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, how do I pay From Software for my own mini Ranni The Witch!?

Who needs from?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1207477225/elden-ring-miniature-ranni-plush-doll

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Absolutely bonkers that art books, Alexander coffee mugs, Ranni dolls, grace lamps, and other merch isn't flooding stores.

Have they never heard of Star Wars or Evangelion? The billion dollars from the hit media is the hard part. The 50 billion in merchandise is easy street.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

someone who doesn't want to receive a ranni doll full of cum

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Anime Liker posted:

Absolutely bonkers that art books, Alexander coffee mugs, Ranni dolls, grace lamps, and other merch isn't flooding stores.

Have they never heard of Star Wars or Evangelion? The billion dollars from the hit media is the hard part. The 50 billion in merchandise is easy street.

comon hodor you know that's why from is good and not bad

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

comon hodor you know that's why from is good and not bad

*Miyazaki slapping the poo poo out of an intern mid-suggesting merchandising*

"That's easy mode."

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

some Great Suggestions at the bottom of that page if you’re a pervert.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Ohh ewww!

*Bookmarks suggestions for later*

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I'm only getting olde timey sack cloth dolls.

What does the algorithm think YOU'RE into?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7093152432095644971

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

get back to me when they have dung eater dolls with real dung eating action