Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Clan ‘Mechs are bullshit though :corsair: why’d catalyst have to go and make a project phoenix unabridged for the clan invasion units we don’t need more clan noun animal furry likers!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I genuinely thought about doing a content edit for this site and calling you out by name in that entry lol

Good Clan Mechs can be fun, and that one is. The boring as gently caress ones are usually really easy to identify and avoid.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm definitely not being fair about my Clan dislike idiotposting anymore. Clan tech has made combat with actual interesting maneuvers so much more successful--and by direct connection, made initiative so much more important--that having it on the table turns BT into a practically different game. (A game that also happens to run faster so that I can go home earlier after playing bad!)

I don't envy Catalyst's ongoing task of justifying how to make both IS and Clan tech coexist though. It's bizarre that outside of a few extremely rare (fiat!!) places of research, Clan-spec gear has somehow managed to remain largely proprietary for over a century. It's just way too good to believe that it's not constantly being stolen and reverse-engineered top to bottom...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's more: Everyone can make it, but it's hugely expensive to produce or needs specialized (and vulnerable) facilities. So everyone can (and occasionally does) make ClanTech but it's just too prohibitively expensive to put it on everything except special forces units or your big silly tripod superweapons.

You can't make Clan EndoSteel without an orbital factory, making it outside of micro gravity gets the extra bulky stuff because the titanium doesn't foam up correctly..

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Clantech production has also ramped up significantly and successfully in many places. The Zeus 11S is the first one in the list, but every Clan component on it is domestically produced in the Lyran Commonwealth, and there are five or six more designs in the Rec Guides that do that.

Including a bona-fide "this is a Clan tech base equivalent" Crusader late in the series.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Which is just an absolute monster.

I like using Alpha Strike cards for quick comparison.

... lol.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
ClanTech becoming a universally available but rarely used premium option is a great change for the setting, imo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

Clantech production has also ramped up significantly and successfully in many places. The Zeus 11S is the first one in the list, but every Clan component on it is domestically produced in the Lyran Commonwealth, and there are five or six more designs in the Rec Guides that do that.

Including a bona-fide "this is a Clan tech base equivalent" Crusader late in the series.

The new Atlas is also in that boat. DI's main thing is the Clan XLFE, which they have been making on Furillo since the 3070s, but they've also got lasers pretty much down. And while they can manufacture Clan LRMs, they can't replicate Clan SRMs en masse for whatever reason. To the surprise of nobody, LAW seems to be the first IS manufacturer to mass produce the cER PPC.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Noted on regular production, and point taken on how adding to gameplay variety is good.

Still doesn't refute the weird contrivance of no one deciding to immediately convert all their forces to C tech, Space Endo or not. Especially in the wake of a mass disarmament and rearmament??? Supply shortages can only explain away a portion of difference between two weapons with exactly the same function but with one has improved SWaP :words:

I really want to bring IRL parallels into this but I know I shouldn't. Giant Less-dense-than-water robots, I guess

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The real world equivalent is that aircraft stealth is Clantech and building Clantech machines in the IS is like F-35s. Expensive as gently caress and you won't get as many as you want if that's all you buy/build.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It seems like they decided to depict the disarmament and rearmament by finally pushing all the Introtech units off the RATs for the Great Houses. Using the 3145 tables, even the crappiest March Militia or Pesht Regular will at least have a model 4 or 5 Archer instead of a 2. And yeah, RATs aren't exhaustive sources, but they are supposed to give you a force that is a good representation of what that faction would look like. So to me, that says that an unupgraded 3025 machine is a real rarity in a Regular Army unit now, and are limited to crappier Periphery units and real hard-luck merc outfits.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 30, 2022

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
To some degree RATs are left to the ones making them (and they're often broken up by chunks and given to people most knowledgeable about a given faction). That's to say, there's often not a lot of central direction in terms of what "should" appear (we received a bit back in the day on FM 3085, and some stuff on the recent micro-war books like Tamar Rising). But for at least the ones I'm assigned, that's the philosophy I've taken. Certainly things like the Field Manuals help inform a RAT approach (since they often give things like advanced tech percentages), but that does rely on the individual writer remembering to reference them. The current crew I know is pretty in-depth on their research, though, so I'm sure that's all being taken into account.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I did notice upgrade percents are also gone in FM 3145, which I assume is because you can't type "100%" in a book that many times without it spontaneously emojifying.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've finished painting the last five Capellans I needed!

Which means I now have a full company of a CCAF unit so minor I may very well be the first person to have ever painted it: the 7th Capellan Chargers

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 11, 2022

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hey I get that, I'm one of only two 14th Sian Dragoons fans in the world

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If it weren’t for the Raven I could have sworn this was a Lyran unit

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Won't lie, the way they're all positioned in the same direction makes me think that at any second Micheal Jackson is gonna walk on set and suddenly all the 'Mechs are going to be doing Thriller.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just find angled shots tend to work out better to show off the random stuff on the bases, like the soldiers casually chilling under the Centurion.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Rorahusky posted:

Won't lie, the way they're all positioned in the same direction makes me think that at any second Micheal Jackson is gonna walk on set and suddenly all the 'Mechs are going to be doing Thriller.

They're all staring in awe at the Celestial Throne's infinite wisdom and mercy (a small mushroom cloud)

e: okay that was meant to be a Jihad joke but 1) this unit didn't exist during the Jihad 2) the reason they didn't exist during the Jihad would've made a much funnier punchline

quote:

However, their unwillingness to retreat or surrender made them vulnerable to nuclear weapons and overwhelming odds. The unit was destroyed by the end of the First Succession War.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

quote:

Recognition Guide: IlClan Volume 4:

Wasp WSP-1S: It's a Wasp. These are never good, only ever good for their cost. The Wasp 1S is... well honestly it's okay. At 423 BV it is one of the cheapest 'Mechs that you can buy that is still an effective combatant. With ten single heat sinks and a single Medium Pulse Laser, this config can jump and fire its main gun without generating extra heat, and it has two Small Lasers if you manage to set up a good run, and a Flamer because why not I guess? If it was any more expensive it'd be garbage, if it did any less damage it'd be garbage, if it was any more fragile it'd be garbage. This manages to thread the needle into being useful if not good. C+

Wasp WSP-3M: This is worse than the 1S, somehow. It's cheaper, at 394 BV, and might actually be the cheapest 'Mech in this entire series. It has the same main gun, but this time instead of a brace of small energy weapons it has an SRM-2, and spends two and a half tons to do so and fit CASE, meaning it has even less armor. For barely 25 more BV you just get the better 1S. Pass. D

Wasp WSP-3W: I was wrong, this is cheaper. For 342 BV you get the 3M's lack of durability and the traditional Wasp 6/9/6 mobility, but you bring along four Small Lasers and two Small Pulse Lasers. It's a backstabber but one that's not likely to live to backstab much. Genuinely useful at its price point as literally just an initiative sink, I can see using one sometimes but I don't really like it. I know some people swear by the 1W and this is just that but better, but I'm not one of them. Very cheap to put some skill upgrades on, but at the end of the day you're putting skill upgrades on a tin can with a sharp edge on it. C-

Wasp WSP-4W: This is better than the 3W. It's the first Wasp so far to be over 500 BV, at 551, but you have significantly better armor (such as a 20 tonner can have that), and for it you have the same speed but significantly improved weapons. It still can't force a PSR, but we're now up to two ER Mediums and two Small Pulse Lasers, and now we have double heat sinks so that doesn't strain the heat gauge. A Light Engine isn't enough of a downside here to make me pause, by the time a Wasp has lost a side torso you need to leave anyway. Not bad. C+

Wasp WSP-5A: I genuinely like this 'Mech. It's a Wasp, but it's significantly faster at 8/12/8. It has an ER Medium Laser and a Streak SRM-2, and the Streak has CASE II protecting the ammo. This is necessary to keep it alive with an XL, but I still find it funny. At 517 BV this is a fast, effective skirmisher that can play the field all day and that your opponent is almost certainly going to have better things to do than shoot. This is how you build an effective 20 tonner. A

Wasp C: And this is a great way to build a 20 tonner that just dies. Don't get me wrong, I still like this, but it's exactly the wrong kind of attention a 20 tonner wants to be drawing. Add a whopping four points of head armor and this is a deathtrap, in the in-character sense. It also won't usually live very long in a real sense. Standard fusion engine means that it's going to live perhaps longer than expected, but the expectation here isn't long. Why? Because it has a Clan ER Large Laser. There's also an iOS Streak SRM-2 that I don't particularly feel like is worth mentioning. At 755 BV you are paying for a very expensive speed-bump. It is still fun to use, and it's phenomenally useful to bring down the average BV of a Wolf Empire second line Star. C-

Blackjack BJ-5: Another 'Mech with four Light PPCs. I was very worried this was going to be a trend through the series based on the number of 'Mechs like it in the first four volumes. These ended up being fairly front loaded, but I still don't like it. In almost every example I'd rather have Medium Pulses or equivalent and something else instead. In this case, to make room for a better set of main guns, where we have LAC/2s. They have the same range as the Light PPCs, but do basically jack for damage and there's only one ton of ammo between them. It's still possible to use specialty ammos but much harder. All the main guns having the same range is neat, but you'll be perpetually using a 4-3-3 pattern on the Light PPCs due to heat if you have to move. Standing still you can do 4-4-3-3, but that's not generally advisable. Light Engine means it's more durable than a cardboard box. At 1165 BV it's probably fine I just don't like it. C-

Ice Ferret (Fenris) T: I'm a big fan of the Ice Ferret's base Omni chassis. I don't... necessarily think this is the best use for it, but it's a good one. There's an Improved Heavy Large and a Supercharger, and that's really the main attraction. Also present are an ER Medium, an SRM-2, and an Active Probe. The heat sinks are tuned pretty much perfectly for the main armament, and it does a lot of damage. Being able to have short bursts up to 16 MP is pretty good for getting that juicy back shot or exploiting cover on a bad initiative roll. At 1825 BV it's pricy but you arguably get what you pay for. B

Ice Ferret (Fenris) F: The Fire Falcon B IIC, ignore that it came first. Two ER Large Lasers and Watchdog. The ER Larges are in exactly the right locations (both arms) so it functions as a superb transport Omni. Good heat management, but will get toasty if you keep shooting both ER Larges every turn. Costs 1771 BV and is arguably worth it for the mobile orbiting PSR-maker with electronics. A

Ice Ferret (Fenris) G: Lots of small hits. Four AP Gauss, two SRM 4, and a pair of ER Small Pulse Lasers, which I guess aren't actually small hits as they get the full Clan Small damage of 5 each. Still a lot of small hits. The SRMs and AP Gauss are all in the flippable arms, making this one very easily able to put guns on target at all times even without jump jets. More than enough heat sinks to keep the triggers taped down until the engine is gone. Also has Light TAG. The BV on this one is good, at 1196, and it can do a good amount of damage without relying on cluster hit tables, but it has to be pretty close to do so. More vulnerable to pilot death than your average Ice Ferret if more than one of those AP Gauss gets hit. Price makes it competitive, I'd field one even if I'm not going out of my way. B

Ice Ferret (Fenris) I: I find this one hard to evaluate. Two Clan SRM 6s is fine, the Bloodhound is fine, the ER Small Laser is fine. All of that makes sense. What's odd is that there are two M-Pods. M-Pods are one shot weapons, so I'm not sure what the use-case here is, really. There are no hole punchers, it feels a lot like something designed to run into an enemy (potentially literally), pull the ripcord, and then run away. Or hound something very wounded until a good shot comes up. Doesn't feel like it works on its own well at all. The BV at 1096 is the lowest among all Ice Ferret configs by at least a hundred. I'm not sure it's really worth it even then. C-

Ice Ferret (Fenris) J: The Locust IIC grew up. Ten ER Small Lasers and a Targeting Computer, plus a pair of Heavy Machine Guns for some reason, and then also a Supercharger. I'm not a fan of the Heavy Machine Guns, having a two hex range is a bit much for me even if that is this 'Mech's preferred range. It does a lot of damage, has enough fixed heat sinks to cover the heat, and its extra speed will make sure that it's putting those on target. A very good design, though at 1739 it's relatively expensive. Arguably worth it, solid design all around. Would be a B+ without the HMGs. B

Ice Ferret (Fenris) K: I like this a lot. It's a Large Pulse, two ER Mediums, an ER Small, a Laser AMS that I frankly don't normally remember is even on this thing, and the heat sinks to use all of the actual guns but not the Laser AMS. Using the Laser AMS with the Large Pulse and two ER Mediums is fine, but if you happen to be using the ER Small the same turn you're going to get to a bad heat step. That's not crippling at 8/12 but it is disappointing when it's something you have so little control over compared to most equipment. At 1769 it's more expensive than the J, but it fills a different role and is much happier to poke from five hexes rather than two. Sometimes that's what you need for a good match up. I like that both of these configs exist. B

Trebuchet TBT-9N: It's a very good Trebuchet. First off, it's fast at 6/9 for a 50 tonner. It has good armor. It has three Medium VSPLs, which I am a pretty enthusiastic fan of. It also has two Clan LRM-15s, which means that it being fast is *very* good for it. This thing wants to get to two hexes and powerwash the enemy with missiles and extremely accurate pulse lasers. This will put you very high on the heat scale (+11), but when it works holy cow does it work. If you don't want to ride the heat wave quite that hard, the Medium VSPs on their own are good, and the LRMs plus a potshot at the lasers' long range isn't a bad idea. I like this a lot, and I like it a lot because it comes in at 1550 BV, which I think is a very good mark for something that can turn up unexpectedly quickly and gut something its size or smaller. This is going to be the first in a long line of traditionally Marik/Free Worlds League designs that go incredibly hard in this series. A

Thresher Mk II: I hate this 'Mech too. This time it's not for the same reason as the Dominator, though the effect is the same. Reflective armor plus a top speed of 13 plus jump jets plus a headcapper in an ER PPC and a very weird heat management curve makes this one... tough. It is, individually, a solid combatant and I would expect it to handle something around its weight comfortably, and may punch up very well due to the customary reliance on energy weapons for main guns in the most efficient Clan Heavies. None of that is the problem. The problem is that it costs 3364. No, there's not a typo there, it's over 3300 BV, and that's insane for what you get here. Irredeemably garbage if you're paying that much for it, especially if you happen to get unlucky and blow one of the two different speed boosters, or you end up next to a 'Mech your own size and remember that Reflective armor really doesn't like that. In the alternate universe where this 'Mech costs 2700 BV it's a solid A. In this universe it's an F.

Awesome AWS-11H: A standard fusion engine Awesome that moves 3/5 and has three PPCs and nearly max armor. Starting off strong. The PPCs are all Heavy PPCs, and there are finally enough heatsinks here to fire all of them, in the form of Clan Doubles, with enough room made by using Clan Endo Steel to do it. Twenty three doubles is exactly enough to maintain a full three shot fusillade every turn at a run with no build up. Every location that has a PPC is packed with heat sinks, making it difficult to disable one by chance. At 2036 BV I think this is an excellent take on the Awesome, offering an improvement in raw damage, damage per hit, sustainability, and durability. Good stuff. A

Warhammer IIC: The classic. Definitely a reprinted sheet, but it's still a very good one. Two ER PPCs, five Medium Pulses and an SRM 6. Typical Clan fare, standard engine and good armor. Moves 4/6 and is 80 tons. Clocks in at 2570 BV. Twenty doubles struggles a bit up close, but you can drop a single ER PPC and be back to running cool. A solid pick for any age or era, but relatively unflashy and I think overtaken by some of its later variants. B

Warhammer IIC 2: I love Medium Pulse Lasers, this one is still a good competitor to the Standard. All of the MPLs have been replaced with two LRM 15s with three tons of ammo, that's the extent of the changes. This time it's 2482 BV, and the two honestly function very well together. Very good heat efficiency, +2 at long range at a run, drop an LRM-15 every third turn and you stay very close to true neutral. Also a solid pick. B

Warhammer IIC 13: I find this variant absolutely hilarious. By going to an XL Engine, and cutting a small bit of armor, this variant adds a very large red button to cockpit in the form of just mashing the Standard and 2's secondary guns together. It has the two ER PPCs, and then it also has the two LRM 15s and then it also has the five Medium Pulse Lasers. And an extra heat sink. Hilarious sicko hours in terms of the amount of sheer devastation that you can launch in one turn. It will also burn hotter than the surface of the sun when it does that, a toasty +24 on a running alpha. But you have options, and those options include removing almost every single point of armor that an opposing Assault 'Mech started with in one go, and that's pretty sweet. At 2715 it's expensive but one of the 'Mechs that is almost certainly worth that much. The ability to mix and match weapons at every range and adjust to an opponent is sublime. A

'Mechs by rating:

F: 1
D: 1
C: 6
B: 6
A: 5
S: None

Cumulative 'Mechs by rating (series):

F: 4
D: 15
C: 33
B: 19
A: 11
S: 1

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That last one sounds like so much fun.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm really enjoying reading these, thanks.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Got a question for anybody else that's run Alpha Strike before. I've got my hands on a newer printing of the Alpha Strike Commander's Edition. Looking through the optional rules, I'm wondering if any of you have used the Variable Damage rules and if they've made a big difference in your games?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I hate the existence of variable damage in all of its forms but I am apparently in the minority on this one.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Strobe posted:

I hate the existence of variable damage in all of its forms but I am apparently in the minority on this one.

ok why? I'm curious I've been playing in my group with rules as written from the 1st ed AS book I had so this wasn't an option until now and I'm not really convinced that it's necessary. One of the nice things of AS for me is that the games can move fast

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There are two primary forms of variable damage:

- after a successful hit, roll a d6 for each point of damage and on a 3+ the damage is successful, but will always do a minimum of 1. This makes lower damage units better because you are less likely to deal less than full damage, and inflates the value of those units compared to units with larger attacks - but does not change PV at all.

- roll 2d6 for each point of damage, each success is one point inflicted. Combined with the split fire rules, this makes higher damage units better because they have a higher likelihood of inflicting at least some damage, and reduces wasted damage - but likewise doesn't change PV. It also absurdly turbo-charges the odds of getting at least one 12 to score a TAC. Incidentally, another rule I hate.

In both cases the middle of the road units get left behind and the fundamental assumptions that go into balancing PV get thrown out the window.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I never saw the point in trying to make alpha strike take longer. We’re playing three lances per side, who cares about a single Awesome?

I mean, I love that Awesome, and I was pretending that I was the pilot, but I don’t care that it got headshot. I’ve got plenty more mechs. That one certainly wasn’t special to me.

I’m not upset, I have something in my eye. I need to leave. I don’t feel good. I’m not crying because my hero mech died, it’s cause I got hot sauce in my eyes.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Coming from no prior experience on the TT side, I've been really enjoying the DFA house rules for damage (1d6 "pilot die" + 1d6 rolled for each point of damage). My games have been taking about 45 minutes now that we've got the rules down (2v2 up to 4v4) and the other new players we're rotating through seem to enjoy the little bit of granularity without going full grog, and any chance of extra crits gets everyone laughing at the mishaps.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Incoming!

Finished my fighters. I'm pretty pleased with them.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That's a nice fade. Where'd you get the trees? I got some from Woodland Scenics but they're just a tad too big for mech bases.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're from ArtMinds but it's the same sort of stuff, just for very young trees. I got them at my local model train store.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
So what is the point of the ilClan era, anyway? is it all leading up to "Clan Wolverine shows up, forms a new star league, and kicks Clan Wolf in the face" or whatI

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Fivemarks posted:

So what is the point of the ilClan era, anyway? is it all leading up to "Clan Wolverine shows up, forms a new star league, and kicks Clan Wolf in the face" or whatI

cold war merc army status quo until the writers feel comfortable enough to force more metaplot poo poo into the setting

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Do we really need any more galaxy-shattering events at this point? People have enough of a hard time dipping their toes into anything post-Clan Invasion by now

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Do we really need any more galaxy-shattering events at this point? People have enough of a hard time dipping their toes into anything post-Clan Invasion by now

They kind of seem to have realized this based on stuff that they said in one of their recent streams.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yup, there's plenty of reasons for everyone to fight in the ilClan era without needing another big invasion or Inner Sphere-spanning event.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It would be really cool to see a bunch of stuff in a smaller, focused area. Picking a border conflict and doing a few single system books about it rather than the broad strokes, entire known galaxy stuff.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It would be really cool to see a bunch of stuff in a smaller, focused area. Picking a border conflict and doing a few single system books about it rather than the broad strokes, entire known galaxy stuff.

You should look into Tamar Rising because it's literally and exactly this.

EDIT: well, not single-system, but it's focused entirely and completely on the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone and its border with the Lyran Commonwealth.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah to echo what Strobe said, the new books are set up as nice areas for player groups to mess around in. You get some movers and shakers but it's region focused.

Edit: well not 100% certain but considering how Tamar Rising was set up the others coming this year seem to have the same feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Empire Alone is geographically focused on the Wolf Empire and Free Worlds League, Dominions Divided later this year is geographically focused on the Draconis Combine/Federated Suns/Rasalhague Dominion.