Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
What happens if a justice dies during the writing of an opinion? Like imagine, I dunno, Thomas has a heart attack and dies. If the opinion is still being drafted when it happens, does it matter if he was intending to sign onto it? What if he’d already written a concurrence? Or signed the majority opinion, but dies before it’s published?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Reveilled posted:

What happens if a justice dies during the writing of an opinion? Like imagine, I dunno, Thomas has a heart attack and dies. If the opinion is still being drafted when it happens, does it matter if he was intending to sign onto it? What if he’d already written a concurrence? Or signed the majority opinion, but dies before it’s published?

I think if he has already signed it, it counts. I may be wrong though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Reveilled posted:

#winning

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Staluigi posted:

Lol this is like an answer to the question of "is there anything conservatives could do to hypothetically prevent the midterms from being a guaranteed victory for them? Anything lovely and brazen enough that it puts things back in play?" The timing is superbly arrogant

I wish I had your confidence that this won't benefit the conservative turnout and election results.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Robert Downey Jr. pointing to floating text reading "They have done nothing about voter suppression or gerrymandering".

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm interested how much this will actually change state-to-state since a lot of the really anti-abortion states already had de-facto bans.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

If culture conservatives notch enough enormous, unprecedented, society redefining wins they may eventually tire themselves out. Just something to chew on.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Republicans posted:

I'm interested how much this will actually change state-to-state since a lot of the really anti-abortion states already had de-facto bans.

It'll probably have a bigger impact on telehealth stuff than in-person procedures, since there's a lot of abortions done that way, but the bigger threat is probably President DeSantis (or Trump) and a GOP House/Senate passing a bill criminalizing abortion nationally in 2024.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Republicans posted:

https://twitter.com/upshotnyt/status/1521297236319211523?s=21&t=wT13wSKy8Q9zroSfi6h8CQ

And this doesn’t take into account states like Iowa that don’t have one of these laws but will absolutely fast track a ban

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/upshotnyt/status/1521297236319211523?s=21&t=wT13wSKy8Q9zroSfi6h8CQ

And this doesn’t take into account states like Iowa that don’t have one of these laws but will absolutely fast track a ban

Yeah just peaking at this map Florida, Virginia, Montana, Wyoming, Missouri, potentially Wisconsin and Iowa could all quickly see full bans on abortion sweep into place as well.

loving lmao that Roe is going to die while the Democrats are in power and Nancy Pelosi is on record that being pro-choice shouldn't be a litmus test for Democratic politicians. Just an absolutely worthless loving party. Republicans are throwing women to the loving wolves and the best the "good guys" can do is wring their hands, tweet, and tell everybody to vote. loving pathetic.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I predict that by 2025 they will be screening women for pregnancies when they try to travel to Mexico and other nations, that have legal abortion.

Under His Eye.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

ilkhan posted:

I'm curious what your endgame is in this scenario? You destroy the legitimacy of the court, because you think it's blatantly political... Which lets you make it even more blatantly political?

Roe lasted 50 years partially because red states did believe in the court *despite* Roe. You really think destroying that legitimacy is going to work out well for... Anybody?

The courts are literally the meditator between left and right. Do you think anyone is better off when the sides turn to violence to solve their disputes because the courts have lost that respect?

Uh the alternative is to have legislatures write laws to establish these political norms instead of relying on unelected justices to decide what the law really is. Now I know that the U.S. doesn’t have a functional federal legislative branch anymore, and many of the state legislatures are primed to pass lovely laws that reduce freedoms, but you can absolutely be opposed to relying on the judiciary to uphold rights without resorting to partisan violence. This is what “politics” is supposed to be for. This boner for the institution that said Dredd Scott wasn’t a person, that existed for the whole Lochner era, that said jailing pacifists during wartime doesn’t violate free speech rights, that has been plenty awful—that it’s beloved by liberals because it has been unexpectedly progressive for much of the past 50 years, is totally misplaced and has been an excuse for abstaining from engaging in the pursuit of actual politician progress.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DC Murderverse posted:

Yep, the Iowa GOP will be on that so fast they'll leave skidmarks, and the governor's a Trumpist shill.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

this also will be used when scolding folks about 'once again finding something more important than brunch' won't it

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm trying to find it, but does anyone have that jpg of RGB "With this character's death"...caption?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Imagine actually respecting Justin Amash.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I swear we passed a really restrictive abortion law here in FL this year

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Shammypants posted:

There is a relevant and not 0% chance Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito die before 2024. Hope is but a wish upon a dream, and maybe that's enough to get people motivated.

Scalia already did die before 2020, and it didn't get people motivated. Hillary should just buy a bunch of billboards saying "I told you so."

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I get the frustration at Dems for Being Bad, but wtf is the alternative? Not voting? Why is it so lovely to vote for Dems and press them to do the right thing?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VorpalBunny posted:

I get the frustration at Dems for Being Bad, but wtf is the alternative? Not voting? Why is it so lovely to vote for Dems and press them to do the right thing?

I mean "Don't Vote" is D&D's default position, isn't it? From the look of it, nothing has fundamentally changed :v:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

I swear we passed a really restrictive abortion law here in FL this year

Depending on how it's worded, a lot of those state laws are powerless until Roe gets overruled, and then they instantly spring into full effect

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

The problem is people DID vote. And nothing changed. It just got worse. "Vote harder next time" isn't acceptable.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Minera posted:

True. Imagine if the Republicans held power right now, they'd be doing things like overturning Roe V. Wade and threatening gay marriage

Yes, this is true. You literally described what just happened today. Republicans won 2016, got three SCOTUS appointments and a couple hundred Federalist Society approved judges into lower courts. Since conservative judges are a trailing indicator for the disease of Republican presidencies, that damage lingers for years after the initial symptoms clear. Even before this happened we had plenty of Trump appointees at all levels of the court aiming to slap down even modest improvements by the incoming administration, some of which already floated up to the conveniently 6-3 SCOTUS.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

VorpalBunny posted:

Yeah maybe in another 48 years they’ll codify abortion rights. Maybe in another 75 years we’ll get UHC, etc

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

SCOTUS leaks are rare, but I don’t think they’re as rare as someone earlier in this thread put it. This article documents all the times it’s happened: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-draft-opinion-00029475

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nine-gear crow posted:

Imagine actually respecting Justin Amash.

imagine respecting a politician in this day and age

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Why would a lifetime appointed judge fear public opinion?
Anyone who cared about what the public thought about them even slightly is not someone who would even slightly consider overturning Roe v Wade.

ilkhan posted:

The courts are literally the meditator between left and right. Do you think anyone is better off when the sides turn to violence to solve their disputes because the courts have lost that respect?

maybe the same glimmer of "oh, hmm" that flickers into my mind every so often. i doubt the jurists are so blind (okay, maybe with the exception of Breyer, but hey, he's gone!) to changes in the country's political dynamics so as to forever cling to notions of impartiality, or to believe that they can meaningfully (if they even wanted to, which i can't say the majority does) heal partisan divides through skillful rhetoric and adroit legal reasoning.

this maybe isn't so much a case of whether anyone's better off with the violence option than a who, when? with the violence option. i often think back to my mom coming upstairs during the Jan 6 events with an aghast "they've stormed the Capitol!" announcement, and my nonchalant "eh, so what? they did the same thing in Kyrgyzstan like a year ago (with much more success)--hell, people did the same thing while i was in Georgia" response. meaningful political unrest, to the extent that someone is actually burning a building down, is something fairly alien to us in the US, but it's not something that doesn't happen because ironclad political norms protect us

there's maybe not so much a fear of public opinion than a (not unreasonable) fear of being in the actually burning down building when the slow boil reaches that point

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 3, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ilkhan posted:

I know your entire gimmick but I gotta ask regardless: please read the leaked Alito decision and then try to explain to me how SCOTUS is "the mediator between left and right."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ilkhan posted:

I'm curious what your endgame is in this scenario? You destroy the legitimacy of the court, because you think it's blatantly political... Which lets you make it even more blatantly political?

Roe lasted 50 years partially because red states did believe in the court *despite* Roe. You really think destroying that legitimacy is going to work out well for... Anybody?

My dude, you have a long history of expressing opinions that the Supreme Court should move further right. This "the Supreme Court is apolitical" when they are enforcing your politics is blatantly disingenuous.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

Because they never do. How many times do y'all need the rug pulled? It's like watching Charlie Brown keep expecting the ball to be there, forever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Sooner or later when you've kicked the can down the road for long enough you run out of road. Not that Dem leaders care considering Biden himself doesn't like abortion and knows nothing will come to him via Congress so he can make meaningless statements to liberals.

The SCOTUS has been wholly illegitimate for decades and nobody wanted to address it because of the strife it'd cause, so we've just taken nakedly political rulings one after the other and allowed the wound to become infested and rot set in.

Also shout out to this wonderful nepotistic failure of a human being, upholding the shitlib family tradition:

https://twitter.com/sfpelosi/status/1521294980488204289
https://twitter.com/sfpelosi/status/352979428881604608

When things finally boil over I hope nothing remains except ash.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Why would a lifetime appointed judge fear public opinion?

They shouldn't fear public opinion, they should feat the public itself.

Devor posted:

The right wing court is explicitly political. They pretend they aren't, but they are.

Alito, Thomas, and others regularly attend Federalist Society and other extreme right wing gatherings. They don't pretend to to be apolitical in the slightest.

Shammypants posted:

Mindboggling to see the mental gymnastics here that republicans will benefit from this or not be hurt by this. I don't get it. Women are the reason republicans lose elections.

Guess the GOP's lucky they've been severely cracking down on voting access then. Doesn't matter how pissed off and driven to vote you might be when you can't loving vote. Maybe this will help the Dems in November but they're so loving worthless that I think the GOP's still going to take both chambers and pretty much guaranteed the WH if Biden's stupid enough to run again (he is) or if Harris is made the presumptive nominee and challengers are hamstrung by the DNC.

Crows Turn Off posted:

What does a "less legitimate" court mean? Why would SCOTUS care? That doesn't impact their power one bit.

The SCOTUS's power is based entirely on perceived legitimacy. It has no power to enforce its rulings and it relies on others to do so. If everyone decides the court is illegitimate and ignores it there's gently caress all the SCOTUS can do about it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ilkhan posted:

Do you think anyone is better off when the sides turn to violence to solve their disputes because the courts have lost that respect?

When the sides turn to open violence, courts won't matter because it's going to be decided by whichever side is left standing.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

VorpalBunny posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1180506681459040256
If only he had won the presidency, along with party control of both and senate and house in 2020. Then he could have done something in the past two years to prevent this from happening.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
More people are going to vote against the Dems because of inflation and high gas prices than those who will vote against the GOP because of this ruling that everyone knew was coming the moment RBG died.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

jetz0r posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1180506681459040256
If only he had won the presidency, along with party control of both and senate and house in 2020. Then he could have done something in the past two years to prevent this from happening.

He's given a number of speeches and statements championing the codification of abortion rights, endorsed the codifying legislation (which passed the House last September and is held up in the Senate), and the DoJ has gotten involved in the various state abortion law cases, including filing a pro-choice amicus brief in the very case at issue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

He's given a number of speeches and statements championing the codification of abortion rights, endorsed the codifying legislation (which passed the House last September and is held up in the Senate), and the DoJ has gotten involved in the various state abortion law cases, including filing a pro-choice amicus brief in the very case at issue.

how come this wasn't all over my narrowly curated news feed then :colbert:

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The problem is people DID vote. And nothing changed. It just got worse. "Vote harder next time" isn't acceptable.

No, the problem is that people didn't vote in 2016, and voting in 2018 and 2020 is not enough to erase that mistake even if the Democrats pulled off a virtuoso election performance. I would have thought "repairing the balance of the Supreme Court for a generation" was a more effective campaign slogan than "try and pull off some semblance of damage control," but I guess I don't understand the Rust Belt mentality. I suppose the people of Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan can just send the women of America an apologetic fruit basket.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Discendo Vox posted:

He's given a number of speeches
:lmao:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

VorpalBunny posted:

There is no mechanism whatsoever* to press the Dems to do the right thing if they’re going to receive your vote 100% of the time regardless.

*within our political framework, I guess I should say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

These people do not believe in anything. Her mother, someone with actual power, is putting in work to support the anti-abortion Cuellar over the pro-choice Cisneros, while she wastes her time scolding leftists on twitter for failing to stem the tide of misogyny. Incredible.