Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Macaluso posted:

I promise you animators have always been this horny. Also every artist

Disney is famous for animators having draws of the characters naked. (That's a pun not a typo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm just sitting here like "Yeah that's what makes the show good???? :confused:" so I guess that means I'm part of that niche in group you guys mentioned. :laffo:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Animators are without exception horny bastards.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lots of people can be very horny and keep that to themselves or those close to them. The real crime is being very online about it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

pixaal posted:

Disney is famous for animators having draws of the characters naked. (That's a pun not a typo)

There's a vault where they keep them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Lots of people can be very horny and keep that to themselves or those close to them. The real crime is being very online about it.

What is this the 1950s?? Embrace horny, embrace cringe.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Macaluso posted:

What is this the 1950s?? Embrace horny, embrace cringe.

Do not kill that which makes you cringe, kill the part of you that cringes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

Do not kill that which makes you cringe, kill the part of you that cringes.

:hmmyes:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
This show never seemed particularly fetish-y to me, just openly horny and absolutely reveling in it, most likely due to the fact that they're independently funded and aren't beholden to any sort of corporation....but I could also see how that could be misconstrued as writing with fetishes in mind. Really, the only character that strikes me as Super Fetish-y is Loona and the crew absolutely knew what they were doing when they designed her and called that out in episode 3 specifically.

I'm not sure I would go so far to say as the show is Sex Positive, but I think it recognizes the sex is just another way to tell a story, especially on that is as focused on relationships as this one. Sex is an important aspect of this show's storytelling but it isn't the only thing.

I just think that, above all else, the crew just really, really love these characters.

Bust Rodd posted:

Helluva Boss is weird because artistically I am 100% aligned with these styles and sensibilities and shapes, but I feel like I’ve basically outgrown this style of humor almost completely. I don’t like to use the word cringe, but the pilot just made me feel like “drat I would have been obsessed with this in high school and would probably have half a dozen tattoos of this” but that was like 15 years ago and I just prefer my dialogue to be more selective with its snark. Every single character doesn’t have to be the exact same sarcastic rear end in a top hat. Is that something that changes? Didn’t really get a distinct sense of character from each monster.

I'd honestly kind of recommend skipping to episodes 5, 6, and 7 because I think these are the episodes where the show definitely hits its stride, especially in regards to the characters and who they are. Episode 5 is where they start introducing a bit more of the world and some plot beyond Hijinks Ensue. This is the episode where they start to really make the stark class divide between Stollas and Blitz apparent and the show doesn't seem to be brushing that aside. Also Norman Reedus is in this one. Episode 6 and 7 just have some amazing character writing. I really enjoyed the first 4 episodes but I think 5, 6 and 7 is where I got really drawn in.

I don't know, this show just checks off a lot of boxes for me, despite initially not being a fan of it aesthetically.

If you guys liked the first stream, they also did another stream with Christina Vee and Bryce Pinkham in regards to the music. It's about an hour and is also quite good :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhaQlFcXgRA

Highlights include:
-Sam Haft wrote You Will Be Okay after his son was born so he really drew from that and all of his feelings surrounding having a kid and wanting to protect them from everything
-Christina Vee's cat :3:
-Soundtrack is incoming and they are very interested in doing some music performances somehow, either through conventions or one night performances in LA or New York
-Bryce Pinkham does not want the uncensored Ep 1 phone call to be released.
-Everyone picking out each character's shower songs (Sam Haft does a really great Blitz impression)
-Richard Horvitz very much desires to be in Hamilton
-Blitz and Stollas will have a duet at some point and the crew is very excited
-Christina finds it very funny that when you search her name the first two suggestions that pop up in Google are "Christina Vee Disney" and then "Christina Vee Vacay to Bonetown". In that order.

And a lot of other interesting tidbit that I can't remember off the top of my head

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Happy Landfill posted:

I'd honestly kind of recommend skipping to episodes 5, 6, and 7

Man I don't agree with this at all. I think the first episode is a great introduction to the trio's dynamic, as well as setting up the Blitz/Stolas stuff. And I think the second episode Looloo Land, is one of the best episodes of the whole run so far. I love Fizzeroli, and I just generally find Stolas a very interesting character and enjoyed seeing him try to connect with his daughter. The third episode goes a bit (not super deep or anything but) into Blitz's relationship with Loona and introduces Verosika. I think the only episode that isn't super amazing is episode 4, the one with the Cherubs. That one feels the weakest and almost like it was made strictly to set up the Cherubs as future antagonists. It also sounds like, just based on Bust Rodd's post, that he's only seen the pilot which is pretty bad on a ton of levels, not the least of which is how dirty it does Moxxie. He's a totally different character

Also Loona is Extremely Cool. I love her design.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Man I don't agree with this at all. I think the first episode is a great introduction to the trio's dynamic, as well as setting up the Blitz/Stolas stuff. And I think the second episode Looloo Land, is one of the best episodes of the whole run so far. I love Fizzeroli, and I just generally find Stolas a very interesting character and enjoyed seeing him try to connect with his daughter. The third episode goes a bit (not super deep or anything but) into Blitz's relationship with Loona and introduces Verosika. I think the only episode that isn't super amazing is episode 4, the one with the Cherubs. That one feels the weakest and almost like it was made strictly to set up the Cherubs as future antagonists. It also sounds like, just based on Bust Rodd's post, that he's only seen the pilot which is pretty bad on a ton of levels, not the least of which is how dirty it does Moxxie. He's a totally different character

On second thought, yeah, I agree with this. Pretty much second guessed that as soon as I hit post. Each one of those episodes has something important with regards to the overall setting/character relationships

As someone who didn't even know there was a Pilot until I had finished all the eps, I'd say skip the Pilot. It's a fun watch in hindsight but the main series definitely irons out all the Pilot's weaknesses. If you're hung up on the Pilot, definitely skip it. It's not required viewing.

Like, if I started watching Venture Bros with the Pilot, I don't think I ever would have gotten in to the rest of the show.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 2, 2022

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Happy Landfill posted:

Speaking of Helluva Boss, they did a livestream watch party last night with a bunch of the actors watching episodes 1-4. For some of them this was their first time seeing the show. Highlights include:
-some really great behind-the-scenes stuff, especially in regards to recording during COVID
-this being the first time a lot of them have met in person and it shows because they are so giddy :3:
-"I LOVE YOU MILLIE" "I LOVE YOU MOX MOX" :kimchi:
-"SEASON 2!!!????"
- This being the first time James Monroe Ingleheart has apparebtly seen the Ms Mayberry bit in episode 1 and watching is face go from :stare: to :magical:
-Richard Horvitz making it known that he had no idea what pegging was until working on this show (pegging comes up a lot)
-"STELLA"
- the animation director being so deep in to the world lore that they are almost more knowledgeable than Vivienne in some aspects (usually minor things like whether or not the sun comes out in the Greed Ring)
-Zim laugh. Because of course
-Bryce Pinkham doing the filthiest monologue off-the-cuff in Ep 1 to be bleeped out ( Richard and Vivienne: :magical: :magical:)
-The show is about relationships
-Episodes will be getting longer at some point
-They have absolutely looked up Rule 34. Most of it is Loona.

https://youtu.be/5XUEc0kfKGs

If you have a couple hours it's pretty funny! Big downside is the sound keeps cutting out on the stream so it's a bit choppy at times and poor Vivan Nixon keeps losing signal :( That said, everyone seems so stoked to be there together and it's real sweet. It's awesome to see how passionate they all are about working on this show

Also, if you scroll down a bit in the comments someone created a list if timestamps to some good bits. SparklesofPurple is the username

Edit: Bonus

https://twitter.com/norrynator/status/1520574790695718912?s=20&t=jJNNK8csH-8Dsjpd92W0ng

It is weirdly irritating to me that not only are they clearly having connection issues but they're watching their own stuff off of youtube rather than their own file, which is probably making it worse.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I will never in my life get over the fact that’s just how Richard Horvitz sounds.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bussamove posted:

I will never in my life get over the fact that’s just how Richard Horvitz sounds.

I remember during the IZ commentary track he was seeking any excuse to bust out his Bea Arthur impression.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Honestly, he has the perfect job for that.

I have a friend who has taken several VA workshops with Horvitz and he is not only talented but very devoted to teaching and working with others, and I think you can definitely see that in the livestream with the way he speaks about working with others and his techniques as a director. Just seems like a cool dude :unsmith:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 3, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Happy Landfill posted:

Honestly, he has the perfect job for that.

I have a friend who has taken several VA workshops with Horvitz and he is not only talented but very devoted to teaching and working with others, and I think you can definitely see that in the livestream with the way he speaks about working with others and his techniques as a director. Just seems like a cool dude :unsmith:

Oh yeah, he seems like a great dude all around and is a big part of Helluva Boss getting off the ground at all. He just also happens to have the perfect voice for VA.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I apparently saw kevin Conroy at his first ever con panel up in Sac Con (lol) and besides it being a great panel thats just his normal voice. Batmans voice is just batman. He talked about how he was a theater actor before all this.

He had no problems with just being "the voice" and how he got tricked into doing the venture bros captain sunshine episode. He apparently didnt know how far they were going when they gave him the script lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
horvitz won a game of wits with a genie and was granted indestructible vocal chords

the man shouldn’t be able to get through a session without coughing blood at this point and yet he’s still belting out lines with just as much vigor as he was 25 years ago

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/richardhorvitz/status/1521662048836325376?s=21&t=dvXGWjU3L71CGq8GO9ATQw

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Oh my god, Melissa Fahn was Gaz :catstare: always knew her voice sounded super familiar but could never place from where. Suddenly all the dots are connecting

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Me realizing most cartoon boys/kids were voiced by women VA artists blew my mind as a teen. Then it was followed by a DUH moment. How does this tommy pickles kid sound the same after all these years?!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Animation studios employ a cohort of castrati, obviously.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I watched part of Bebe’s Kids recently. That movie has some of the BEST dialogue animation I’ve seen ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKFeZwXpUEE

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 9, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Love Death + Robots season 3 is coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2b0swdpX8

Was very disappointed in the second series, but this trailer looks a lot better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can we get some stop motion appreciating going

https://twitter.com/shinohara_kenta/status/1523257319127064577?s=21&t=MzXeXQJck_2DCLReA_ha7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11831Y1y7eA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtWHUpRXl2E
This movie was really good

Edit: godDAMN the whole ALICE is on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnbd1exbIco

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 10, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just sign me the gently caress up right now

https://twitter.com/fxnetworks/status/1525184800528617473?s=21&t=HMxZchRTiCYyUbvw9XZ4CQ

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

While neither of these are animated, it sounds nice.
Is it mean that I want to see a story where Rob and Ryan pump heaps of money onto that team only for it to not make a lick of difference? It's so rare to see underdog stories where the underdog doesn't outperform expectations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Little Demon is animated? It says so right there.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

cant cook creole bream posted:

While neither of these are animated, it sounds nice.
Is it mean that I want to see a story where Rob and Ryan pump heaps of money onto that team only for it to not make a lick of difference? It's so rare to see underdog stories where the underdog doesn't outperform expectations.

Nah the episode of South Park they did that was one of the worst things I've ever seen

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I can't get excited about that Aubrey Plaza show until I can see footage of it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The_Doctor posted:

Little Demon is animated? It says so right there.

Oh. Hmm. Okay that may be right. I don't really know how to feel about animated Audrey Plaza, before I've seen it. Her facial expressions are like 80 percent of her charm.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Oh. Hmm. Okay that may be right. I don't really know how to feel about animated Audrey Plaza, before I've seen it. Her facial expressions are like 80 percent of her charm.

She was in Golan the Insatiable season 2, I'd say it worked then.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Oh, wow, great to see a online cartoon I like get a series-

Oh.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

LashLightning posted:

Oh, wow, great to see a online cartoon I like get a series-

Oh.

I need more context here

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Context is that they're still working on a second episode, two years later.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My money is on sexpest.

E - That would have been the second guess.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/ign/status/1526903181199949824?s=21&t=Uex47eb8CsKyynW2qMw4dA

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I AM HERE FOR THIS :jewish:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Interesting crew signed on too. Sounds good.

quote:

Alongside Cohen, the special is being created by Greg Daniels and Mike Judge (of King of the Hill fame), and being penned by Michael Koman, the SNL writer and co-creator of Nathan for You.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crossposting because I guess Scooby Doo('s Velma) is gonna be adult oriented-now. The most mature the IP has been since Scrappy pissed all over Daphne.

SlothfulCobra posted:

HBO Max also has a series in the pipeline that is being described as an "origin story" for Velma from Scooby Doo, but also with the intent that it'll be some kind of more mature thing. Whatever that means. More mature, but before she was a teenager.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1526950560716533762

So when I try to look up information about this, I find a lot of stories talking about some kind of controversy over the decision to make Velma of south asian descent, and I don't doubt that there'll be people complaining about that, but I have no idea how much and I don't want to go looking for any, I really don't care much right now. It seems a bit like pre-emptively backlashing to predicted backlash at this point.

What I do think is that if you take Velma away from her dumb friends and then make the mysteries about murders like every other detective show, you've eliminated everything unique and distinctive about the premise and you'd have been better off starting from scratch.

Also why wear a hoodie over a turtleneck.