Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'll throw another +1 for Fallen Order. It's some combination of Dark Souls and Uncharted/Tomb Raider without really bringing anything new to the table, but it's fun as gently caress to mow down a ton of stormtroopers. Exploration rewards do indeed suck even if the exploration itself is good and fun, though. Not going to be a GOAT, but a real solid game that I don't regret playing through, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Fallen Order 2 is like. Bonus points for NOT going to Tattooine, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

And if you like good Star Wars, it's a pretty good Star War. It's very cinematic and pretty, the acting is good, it gets the feeling right.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If you don't like backtracking don't get it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

How is Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order? It's currently $13.74 CDN, which seems like an okay price. Does it play acceptably with Mouse/keyboard, or is it very much a controller-required game?

Is there much replay value, in terms of (a)unlocking different powers in different orders, (b)visiting locations in different orders, or (c)being able to take multiple approaches to the same situation or encounter?

chiming in at this point but it's a bargain bin sekiro which is fun to that extent, but in terms of your (a), (b), (c)s:

(a) i guess, there's a tree but you will get everything and want everything by the end, and your major upgrades are quite emphatically and explicitly determined by story progression
(b) you can do almost exactly one (1) thing out of order and it's good to do but that's about it
(c) not really

it's pretty, and nothing about the actual story feels lovely or camp, which it's got going for it, but it's a pale comparison to the thing it's trying to ape

edit: oh, and perfectly fine with mouse and keyboard. might want to rebind some things to mouse thumb buttons if you've got them but that's a personal preference.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 3, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fallen Order desperately needed fast travel points and more reasons to be a light Metroidvania - there are a few actual upgrades scattered amongst the ponchos and lightsaber parts but not enough - but beyond that it’s pretty solid.

Echoing that fighting alien animals is not great but the human/robot fights are all pretty good. You’re not going to need to react and parry like Sekiro but there’s a decent amount of skill required to deal with the enemy variety and move sets.

One tip if someone out there does it do NOT go to Dathomir first even though the game is basically screaming at you that maybe you could to find good stuff there. There is indeed something to find there before you would find later but 1) it’s not necessary at all at that point in the game 2) it’s behind some pretty tough and annoying enemies, 3) it completely breaks the pacing. Go there when the game actually wants you to.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Barreft posted:

Are there any sort of 'new-ish' Ultima Underworld games out there? There's a bunch with the grid based move system (Grimrock) but I'd love to be able to free roam in first person through a giant RPG dungeon

I'm guessing you've played most of the stuff 10+ years old, but unfortunately there is very little newer that scratches that itch.

Deliver: an indie roguelite that's pretty solid and has lots of mods but also has jank. If you like the pixel look I think it's the best looking one of this bunch. The most UW-like I've found in the last decade.
Barony: another indie roguelite that's way more janky and also very ugly, but is a bit UW-ish.
Eldritch: another indie roguelite that has some things in common with UW. Some really love this game but I've always bounced off it.
Slasher's Keep: another indie roguelite that's more action oriented than UW (I think it's more Dark Messiah) and is pretty slim on content but it's bit like UW. It looks pretty good at least.
There was a UW directly inspired KS game that I don't recall the name but it was supposed to be completely terrible. Underworld something or other?
Daggerfall Unity: I assumed you have played DF (which is very UW) but the recent Unity port is completely stable and with tons of mods you can add new features to it.

King's Field was directly inspired by UW and there are some indie games in early access that are KF inspired but I don't recall the names.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well that’s the thing, when you look at a slick, high profile kickstarter campaign the language tends to be stuff like “you are critical for our success,” “you and your friends are what we need to succeed,” and “thanks to your support we met all these stretch goals to give you an even better game!”

And then when that fails to materialize you get people saying “well no poo poo, you only crowdfunded $20 million and you know drat well that it’s mandatory to staff a ball pit on Mission Street at $5 million a month to make any kind of video game.”

They’re not all like this, and not all people are going into kickstarters ignorant of the risks, but the part where people are mocked or simply considered a negative part of the process after the fact after being buttered up is what I find distasteful.
I feel the same as you, and even DF themselves were trash talking the group of backers who weren't happy with how they handled it , spinning it as if anyone with complaints was anti-kickstarter or just trolling.

They exceeded their target by more than 2x, made a website post-kickstarter for people who missed the campaign or who wanted to spend more, split the game into two parts so the first part would fund the second, and then delivered something that didn't meet a lot of peoples expectations. I think that's worthy of some criticism.

(they also never mentioned that there was risk involved, their Kickstarter just said they wanted to do it this way so they didn't have to get a loan or seek actual private investment, which should have been a red flag I suppose!)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

fit em all up in there posted:

Anyone here try Bullets Per Minute ?

Steam tells me I put in 6 hours into it. It's pretty good! The key thing to remember is only "actions" are timed to the beat, meaning shooting, reloading, and iirc dashing (but not jumping). Enemies also shoot on the beat, letting you vaguely predict when an attack is coming your way. Music is the high point, perfectly getting me in the mood for big firefights.

Character feel and gun feel are adequate enough; nothing spectacular, nothing bad. Enemies are a decent mix too, though as a roguelite you don't get that proper "oh some level designer really hosed me over by putting this one guy right here" feel that handcrafted levels do.

My main issue is I think the game kept throwing me many opportunities to get items/stuff per run, but they seem to taper off pretty quick, so it didn't really have longevity. There are multiple characters that more or less change your playthrough, sure, but as you unlock them, most of them are various "hard mode" types that don't really change the base game much - I was stilll doing the same thing, with a harder to survive character, but more damage out of the gate...except that tapers off fast and I need to get items/upgrade.

If it's cheap, I'd say get it...after watching videos because my god the game has a Look. I didn't mind the aesthetics but wish it was more...shall we say...palatable. You can change the colour scheme from bright garish red to various shades of monochrome or monochrome with red.

That said, I have good memories of my 6 hours. If it had more run variety or if I was compelled to do more challenging runs I'd probably put in a lot more hours.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fallen Order's biggest flaw is that there's no code that lets you chop storm troopers to pieces.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Golden Week just started, too; I saw Doraemon: Story of Seasons on sale. Then I checked the reviews, and apparently there's a 1-hour-long intro you can't skip through. :( I just want to chop some wood, raise some animals.

Doraemon reviewed poorly for being generic and slow. Pioneers of Olive Town too. Idk if Rune Factory 5 was released on PC, but I'd recommend either that or Rune Factory 4.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If you are like me and terrible at action games than a big advantage for Fallen Order is that it has on the fly difficulty adjustment (an honest to god easy mode). I don't really care for anything Star Wars that came out after the 90s but I enjoyed Fallen Order quite a bit. Solid story, good combat, good level designs, etc.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i should also mention i've played through fallen order start to finish twice, once because i wanted to play through it as a game, and once because i had just come into possession of a nvidia 3080 ti and couldn't think of something i had more problems with performance wise than fallen order. and let me tell you, the game is about 300% easier on the highest difficulty when you're not hitching every 2 seconds in the middle of a pitched lightsaber fight.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

+ a lot of fun to play
+ the music slaps, twice as much with the beat of your gunfire & reloads (mmm that shotgun reload)
+ huginn & muninn are good birbs

- the visuals are... well, the devs sure made A Choice; i don't mind em but I don't like em either
- the enemies don't act in interesting ways and there's not a ton of variety

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thinking about the final boss music and now i'm downloading the game again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnAFiuEaCBU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Gripper posted:

I feel the same as you, and even DF themselves were trash talking the group of backers who weren't happy with how they handled it , spinning it as if anyone with complaints was anti-kickstarter or just trolling.

They exceeded their target by more than 2x, made a website post-kickstarter for people who missed the campaign or who wanted to spend more, split the game into two parts so the first part would fund the second, and then delivered something that didn't meet a lot of peoples expectations. I think that's worthy of some criticism.

(they also never mentioned that there was risk involved, their Kickstarter just said they wanted to do it this way so they didn't have to get a loan or seek actual private investment, which should have been a red flag I suppose!)

Isn’t the entire point of Kickstarter to avoid loans and private investment?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kibayasu posted:

Isn’t the entire point of Kickstarter to avoid loans and private investment?
No videogame Kickstarter has ever raised enough funds to avoid loans and private investment.

Instead successful Kickstarters are used to get loans approved and draw private investment by saying "look, see how many people want this and are willing to put their money towards it, it's a sure bet if you invest in us now!" but the amount raised is always a pittance compared to the development cost of a real game. However it can be enough to get development started while further sources of funding are still being secured.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Edmond Dantes posted:

Fallen Order is a perfectly competent game that I really enjoyed while I played it and immediately stopped thinking about the moment I finished it.

Squiggle posted:

A lot of people are idiots. Fallen Order was great for the whole 20 hours but I'd say has zero replayability.

All right, thanks everyone for all the different perspectives and notes. I've got other things to play, so I'll probably hold off or watch a LP of it before deciding.

It's an okay FPS Rogue-like combined with a rhythm game. It's got heavy color filters all over everything, probably to conceal that a lot of the assets are from diverse sources, not created specifically for the game, and so don't have a coherent aesthetic.

There is an odd inverse difficulty to the game in that beating the game and again on higher difficulties with a character unlocks abilities for that character... which you have just proven you don't need to beat the game.

Between the different heroes and different weapons, it's not completely balanced, but it probably isn't intended to be.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

FuzzySlippers posted:

King's Field was directly inspired by UW and there are some indie games in early access that are KF inspired but I don't recall the names.
Lunacid is in early access for $7 and it's good. Devil Spire is also another one, has a demo, is not in early access and is $8.00. Both are great and a good price. Devil's Spire is a roguelite procedurally generated dungeon crawler, while Lunacid is structured like a Souls game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I forgot to mention, the coolest part about playing BPM is definitely killing off a boss. Basically once you defeat a boss, you get a victory theme where you have to shoot the boss in its death throes and each time you shoot, a banging guitar note plays out

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

If you like star war buy the star war

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dr.acula is a paid consultant for the disney corporation don't listen

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao if you like the star war tho

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The lightsaber duels are the best part of Fallen Order and there aren't enough of them

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Golden Week just started, too; I saw Doraemon: Story of Seasons on sale. Then I checked the reviews, and apparently there's a 1-hour-long intro you can't skip through. :( I just want to chop some wood, raise some animals.

I haven't tried Doraemon, but I haven't heard much good about it.

Unfortunately, your best options for PC farming games are still:
Stardew Valley
Rune Factory 4 (extreme anime if that matters to you) (sadly, RF5 and 3 did not get steam releases)
My Time at Portia (except you're robin instead of the farmer, still very similar, chill vibe)

If you've already played those three,
Travellers rest has depressing art, but it exceeded my low expectations and was surprisingly fun. Huh, it's still getting updates. I may have to play this again.
Littlewood is fine

Most other options I've tried have been disappointing in one way or another. Shelab makes videos for a lot of games in the genre or vaguely adjacent to it. Her commentary is very uncritical, so I've found I have to read between the lines to tell if I'll get any enjoyment out of the games she shows at all, but it's a good way to find upcoming games, and her optimistic attitude makes her videos pleasant to listen too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rusty posted:

Lunacid is in early access for $7 and it's good. Devil Spire is also another one, has a demo, is not in early access and is $8.00. Both are great and a good price. Devil's Spire is a roguelite procedurally generated dungeon crawler, while Lunacid is structured like a Souls game.

Devil Spire is great but heads up to potential players, it gives you far too many tools to overcome its obstacles and if you can't resist minmaxing or powergaming or whatever it becomes too easy, you have to purposefully restrict yourself from engaging with some of its tools/mechanics for it to stay challenging.

Weapons are supposed to be limited by durability - you theoretically have to weigh using your strong weapons' durability against a target and determine whether it's worth it to do that. But then it's fairly easy to find a weapon that kills things in 1-2 hits and then just craft every weapon you find into it, giving it effectively infinite durability. Then to compound upon that you can enchant and upgrade this uber-weapon that you've created to make it even more powerful.

All you have to do is create a handful of those weapons throughout the run so that you can still survive the extreme end-game floors where it takes like 20k durability to kill an enemy. and there's virtually no gameplay left except speedrunning floors and sprinting to the exit.

Then there's the lantern - you're kind of supposed to be racing against time via your lantern fuel which is a consumable you find more of throughout the run, and in fact it's so valuable that it powers some upgrade items you find, they let you sacrifice lantern fuel to gain stats or new spells or whatever. Without the lantern you can't see enemies more than a few feet ahead of you, but with the lantern you can see them at any distance. Okay, cool - but there's nothing to stop you from just playing with the lantern turned off and flicking it on occasionally when looking down a hallway to see if there are any enemies down the hallway, and lining up your shots if so. So you can play several hours of a 100-floor run and only use a few minutes of lantern fuel total, which lets you sacrifice as much as you want to become uber-powerful.

And since all of the enemies are 100% static until you come within a certain distance of them or attack them, you can safely wander around flicking your lantern on and off one-shotting everything (or even when you don't one-shot them, they charge at you in a straight line so you can just stand there and shoot 7, 8, 9+ times before they reach you). Unfortunately I am the kind of player who can't resist the obvious powerful option (Like, I can't just let my strong weapon break when there's an enormous amount of trash weapons lying around that can be used to give it 100k durability) so I just megastack and buff a stack of throwing knives or javelins that can one-shot anything from infinite distance and from there there's pretty much nothing left to the game. :saddowns:

When you kill a boss you get 3 choices - gold, some stats, or a passive skill. There's no reason to ever take gold or stats because some of the passive skills are absurdly, game-breakingly powerful, and even if you get one that's not, taking it removes it from the pool and makes you more likely to get a good one from the next boss.

Higher difficulties only matter until you get your build off the ground with some good passives and/or a strong weapon, once you have those up and running you snowball out of control (I played on Hard, I think there were 1-2 higher difficulties but I doubt it makes a big difference)

Might not be a big deal to others but I got about 8 hours of fun out of it before it felt pointless to continue because of this. It didn't really feel like I was "overcoming the challenge" to make the game easy or going out of my way to break it, I just wasn't going out of my way to make it more challenging for myself.

e: Thanks to the magic of achievements I can confirm that in 8 hours of playing, I parried 3 attacks and dodged 8 attacks. That's how easy it is to make an overpowered god-weapon. I also never bothered equipping or even carrying shields or armor :v:

e2: These problems could largely be avoided by never touching its crafting system. Experimenting with that was pretty much the first thing I did. Craft a weapon onto a weapon to give the base weapon a portion of the new weapon's durability. Never craft and maybe the game will stay challenging because you'll have to deal with scarcity of resources and your weapons will break.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 3, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'd tell everybody to take advantage of this sale and buy Noita, but I'm sure you all already own Noita because otherwise what the gently caress, man, what the gently caress?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Elden ring is hard :(

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

buglord posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/eldenring/mods/146?tab=files

The challenge is the fun for a lot of folks and I understand that but if you want to just go through the game and see all the cool poo poo and kill all the big bad dudes here you go.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

buglord posted:

The trick is to hit things enough that you exceed their hitpoint total, while avoiding them doing that to you :hmmyes:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Use all the OP stuff the game gives you. Magic / bows are very powerful to soften up enemies when exploring. Summons can basically solo bosses for you if you keep them fully levelled. You can easily overlevel the area / bosses.

And that’s without even trying to do OP build stuff. If you want you can do what my kid did, and watch a 5 minute YouTube video that told him how to get some absurd build, and then we played coop and just smashed everything.

Elden ring can be hard, but it’s also pretty easy to trivialize most of the game.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

LLSix posted:

I haven't tried Doraemon, but I haven't heard much good about it.

Unfortunately, your best options for PC farming games are still:
Stardew Valley
Rune Factory 4 (extreme anime if that matters to you) (sadly, RF5 and 3 did not get steam releases)
My Time at Portia (except you're robin instead of the farmer, still very similar, chill vibe)

Alas, if only RF3 had a modern rerelease of some kind, I could recommend it to more people. I'd take a full 3D remake, even if I prefer the style of the handheld releases.

DS emulation is unfortunately mildly awkward at best

buglord posted:

it is, but it gets somewhat easier

fun tip: always fight dirty if it works, also bleed is good again

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My biggest tips for someone going into Elden Ring for the first time, as someone who played like maybe twenty minutes of Dark Souls once before doing so are:
1. HP is your biggest survivability metric. Don't think all you need is to find better armour - the differences between armour pieces often aren't as big as simply getting an additional point of Vitality. Similarly, if you want more damage spend your time smithing your weapons rather than trying to put points in the stats they scale with - the scaling improves with smith level and you won't really see a good return from putting points into your 'damage' stats until the scaling improves beyond C.
2. If you feel like you're bashing your head against a wall, go do something else. You can immediately access 3 different areas, 1 more is accessible from a somewhat hidden path, with 1 more accessible from there through another hidden path (though you have to beat a boss). It took me like 40 hours to get around to beating the very first story boss simply because I was distracted by riding around everywhere to see what was there and what I could easily beat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

My biggest tips for someone going into Elden Ring for the first time, as someone who played like maybe twenty minutes of Dark Souls once before doing so are:
1. HP is your biggest survivability metric. Don't think all you need is to find better armour - the differences between armour pieces often aren't as big as simply getting an additional point of Vitality. Similarly, if you want more damage spend your time smithing your weapons rather than trying to put points in the stats they scale with - the scaling improves with smith level and you won't really see a good return from putting points into your 'damage' stats until the scaling improves beyond C.
2. If you feel like you're bashing your head against a wall, go do something else. You can immediately access 3 different areas, 1 more is accessible from a somewhat hidden path, with 1 more accessible from there through another hidden path (though you have to beat a boss). It took me like 40 hours to get around to beating the very first story boss simply because I was distracted by riding around everywhere to see what was there and what I could easily beat.

You can easily access, like they are just sitting in the open, some of the best gear in the game from the moment you start without having to fight a single thing.

The Hoarfrost Axe, Turtle Shell Shield, Meteorite Staff (best staff in the game until you get INT to the 60s/70s), plus grabbing all the sacred tears and golden seeds everywhere below the main capital area. All the Wizard Towers are just finding the trick to unlock the door and then you get more spell slots.

There are tons of exp orbs and upgrade stones everywhere too, so just from going from one corner of the map to the other right at the start you can get a ton of levels, equipment, upgrade mats, spells slots, flasks, with just running and avoiding enemies.

The game absolutely wants you to go another direction if you feel like you can't progress and will reward you with a lot of stuff to work with.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

The Gripper posted:

They were actually completely explicit about the risk, because the entire point of the Kickstarter originally was to document the development of a game, whether it was a success or a failure. The actual game was supposed to be secondary. It then turned out that 90k people cared more about the game than the documentary, so the whole project had to be re-considered, and suddenly what was supposed to be a cute little 1-hour throwback to past adventure games became some massive thing with all the expectations that entails. Also this was the first really prominent crowdfunded game and both devs and backers were still kind of clueless about how that relationship should work or how to even run a crowdfunding campaign (DF for instance very quickly regretted the physical rewards because of how much work/money they were, and others learned from that mistake down the road). I think that's context worth considering.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I'd tell everybody to take advantage of this sale and buy Noita, but I'm sure you all already own Noita because otherwise what the gently caress, man, what the gently caress?

I have over 230 hours in it and I think I'm only barely better than poo poo at it. I had to load up a healing mod just to see what the rest of the game was like and get used to how it worked before going back to vanilla and playing it properly. I probably have less than a dozen legitimate completions in all that time - it's a rough journey.

But it's fun, and building a wand that kicks arse is a great feeling. It's a pity that the advanced wand mechanics are quite arcane, and there is no clear progression of what secret stuff you should do once you manage to complete it a few times.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jerusalem posted:

I tried Noita in some previous sale and bounced off it hard early enough to get the refund.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jerusalem posted:

I bought Noita entirely based on the premise of “fully particle-simulation based wizard simulator from the Baba is You dev.” Then I started playing it and found out the game revolves around the wand/spell crafting system and… man, I tried SO HARD to wrap my head around it and get into it and I found it utterly impenetrable. Huge disappointment for me.

For anyone thinking about getting it, I’d recommend skimming a beginner’s guide to wand mechanics and seeing if it sounds like something you would like. (Here’s one I found, don’t know if it’s any good.) If not, well, that’s the game’s central mechanic so you probably shouldn’t get it. If it sounds great to you, definitely get it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For me, I still have only the most basic understanding of the wand mechanics (you wanna get recharge and mana drain as low as you can, into the negatives if possible) and I've only beaten the game twice out of hundreds of attempts and I've seen like 4% of what the game has to offer but goddamn if I don't have a whale of a time being really loving bad at it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've tried for ages but Noita is completely impossible for me to handle in real time. I've heard there is a RTwP or superhot mod I need to check out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

pentyne posted:

You can easily access, like they are just sitting in the open, some of the best gear in the game from the moment you start without having to fight a single thing.

The Hoarfrost Axe, Turtle Shell Shield, Meteorite Staff (best staff in the game until you get INT to the 60s/70s), plus grabbing all the sacred tears and golden seeds everywhere below the main capital area. All the Wizard Towers are just finding the trick to unlock the door and then you get more spell slots.

There are tons of exp orbs and upgrade stones everywhere too, so just from going from one corner of the map to the other right at the start you can get a ton of levels, equipment, upgrade mats, spells slots, flasks, with just running and avoiding enemies.

The game absolutely wants you to go another direction if you feel like you can't progress and will reward you with a lot of stuff to work with.

the turtle shield got nerfed soon after release. it's poopoo now, it only has like 76% damage block or some poo poo.

but i'll agree on just wandering around and exploring when you get stuck on a boss. there's a lot of cool stuff to find.