Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Concept: Cream becomes an honorary member of Team Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Concept: Shadow marries Vanilla, the only other adult in the series, and becomes Cream's awkward stepdad.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The absolute worst thing about Sonic Chronicles is the music. They had an entire original soundtrack written, but they had to scrap it at the last minute for copyright reasons when EA bought bioware

They stuck in midis from older games that they clearly had just downloaded from vgmusic.com, and the soundfont they used was missing instruments so in some songs the drums are just gone

But the biggest impact is that the combat, which was built entirely around playing a rhythm minigame to do anything at all, is no longer set to the beat

It's so loving bad

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

What the gently caress that combat system sounds like it'd rule, god drat it now there's another Sonic game I wish was good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really wanted to like Sonic Chronicles. I really did. But it was terrible. I do think Sonic RPG is a solid idea in concept and should be given another chance.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I remember when it was announced I was kinda excited for what I imagined as a Mario RPG style game, but with the Sonic cast done by BioWare.

I didn't end up getting it, but boy what a missed opportunity.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Did they ever release or leak the soundtrack it was supposed to have? I was always curious about it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kinda hilarious that the same soundtrack gently caress up happened twice.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember there being a Sonic fan RPG for DOS back when. That's..about all I remember of it though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Larryb posted:

I mean, considering that every console and handheld has had online support for a while now he technically wasn’t wrong

There's an old saying from somewhere that he had the right idea at the wrong time.

To be fair even Nintendo tried out online gimmicks around then, in Japan at least. And made the Virtual Boy, speaking of promising technology that just wasn't there yet. It's tricky in the hardware market; it can sometimes be really hard to tell what's a promising way forward and what's a dead-end gimmick until you try, and you can make fuckloads of money if you succeed. (see how Sony's used their hardware to push the format wars, which are basically a license to print money if you win)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

womb with a view posted:

Did they ever release or leak the soundtrack it was supposed to have? I was always curious about it

The soundtrack wasn't 100% replaced, and there is a very obvious disparity between the MIDIs they dropped in and the original music (which is fairly unmemorable and very compressed Richard Jacques techno).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly to me the worst thing about Sonic Chronicles is that it used D&D conventions for its equipment, becaise of course thats what Bioware would use, which made things confusing.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

flavor.flv posted:

The absolute worst thing about Sonic Chronicles is the music.

I've been hearing some hosed up Sonic music opinions in this thread lately so I fully expect someone to come in here saying how the Sonic Chronicles soundtrack is the poo poo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bioware is a hack company that never made a good game in their entire history.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Honestly to me the worst thing about Sonic Chronicles is that it used D&D conventions for its equipment, becaise of course thats what Bioware would use, which made things confusing.

IIRC it's not really much different from what say, Mario RPGs use.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dabir posted:

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was fun.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dabir posted:

Something about glass houses and throwing things

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm comfortable saying Sonic Team are significantly better developers than Bioware. This is not a compliment to Sonic Team.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MJeff posted:

I'm comfortable saying Sonic Team are significantly better developers than Bioware. This is not a compliment to Sonic Team.

Sonic Team started with some absolute bangers. I don't know how the gently caress Bioware got the reputation they had before ME3.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dabir posted:

Sonic Team started with some absolute bangers. I don't know how the gently caress Bioware got the reputation they had before ME3.
Baulder's Gate, Neverwinter Knights, KotOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1. Not that I played half of them but I heard decent things about most. Bioware had pretty decent recognition in the RPG genre, and I don't think it was entirely misplaced.

I had to look up lists, but okay, Sonic Team has a lot more dev credits then I thought they did.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There hasn't been multiple postmortems on Sonic Team where it's clear they've always been a bunch of incompetents who need publishers to kick them in the rear end to actually make a game (and then rely on Magic(tm) to release it on time) so they're better than Bioware in that regard.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC it's not really much different from what say, Mario RPGs use.

i remember what exactly stats actually do being kind of unintuitive but not any details

edit: oh yeah what confused me was that attack and defense, the stats, are actually accuracy and evasion

Looper fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 3, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not gonna contest Bioware is a trash fire of a company, and they maybe even had an underserved good reputation for a time, but I just think it's kind of rich to say "they have never made a good game" like a page or two after we're talking about how much of a hot mess Sonic Team / Yugi Naka is behind the scenes.

Like Sonic Team's best recent action was to let fans make a game(s) for them. I suppose they deserve credit for that, though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Baulder's Gate, Neverwinter Knights, KotOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1. Not that I played half of them but I heard decent things about most. Bioware had pretty decent recognition in the RPG genre, and I don't think it was entirely misplaced.

I had to look up lists, but okay, Sonic Team has a lot more dev credits then I thought they did.

All of those games were poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dabir posted:

All of those games were poo poo.

Do we need to retread "Sonic was never good"?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
across the entire series less than ten sonic games are actually bad

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not gonna contest Bioware is a trash fire of a company, and they maybe even had an underserved good reputation for a time, but I just think it's kind of rich to say "they have never made a good game" like a page or two after we're talking about how much of a hot mess Sonic Team / Yugi Naka is behind the scenes.

Like Sonic Team's best recent action was to let fans make a game(s) for them. I suppose they deserve credit for that, though.

Yes. Sonic Team are incompetent buffoons. Bioware are worse.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bioware and Sonic Team are pretty similar in their work history, they started out with some fantastic genre-definining titles (Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Sonic 1-3) and then could never make anything which touched the quality of their early work again. Arguing over which one is worse seems kinda pointless when they've both been in the gutters for years

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think there might be less then ten sonic games I want to play again.

Sonic Games I love:
Sonic 2, 3&K, SA2B, Generations, Mania
Sonic games that are good enough:
Sonic 1, Sonic CD, SA1, Racing Transformed
Sonic Games that weren't bad and I might be tempted to play again:
Sonic Adv1, Sonic Adv2, Colours
Sonic Games that maybe weren't bad but don't really have a desire to play again
Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic R, Tails Adventure, Sonic Battle,
Meh
Sonic 1 GG, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball, SAdv3, Sonic Heroes,
Bad Sonic Games:
Sonic '06, Sonic 2 GG, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic 4, Episode 1, Tails' Sky Patrol, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Shuffle
Sonic Games I haven't played and that probably says something about them being a sonic fan:
Secret Rings, Black Knight, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Forces, Sonic 4 Ep 2
Sonic Games I haven't played but am less ready to make a hot take on:
Sonic Riders Series, Sonic Team Racing, All-Star Racing

There's a bunch I didn't play and don't really have any perspective on to put them on this list / lazy. Honestly this list is pretty off the cuff and position shifting is subject to nostalgia as maybe I'm making this list with a bias against.

I'd love to see a remaster project for some of the later Game Gear games.

No Dignity posted:

Arguing over which one is worse seems kinda pointless when they've both been in the gutters for years
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Concept: Shadow marries Vanilla, the only other adult in the series, and becomes Cream's awkward stepdad.
Wild that your list of adults excludes the villain, who has basically had one massive mid-life crisis for thirty years.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The non-Kinect Sonic Riders games own actually

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Looper posted:

across the entire series less than ten sonic games are actually bad
Trying to think of ones I’d never touch again

Labyrinth
Shuffle
4 episode 1 & 2
Spinball
Riders for Kinect
Boom rise of Lyric
Forces
Chronicles
Rivals 1 & 2
Unleashed for Wii

hatty fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 3, 2022

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I think there might be less then ten sonic games I want to play again.

Sonic Games I love:
Sonic 2, 3&K, SA2B, Generations, Mania
Sonic games that are good enough:
Sonic 1, Sonic CD, SA1, Racing Transformed
Sonic Games that weren't bad and I might be tempted to play again:
Sonic Adv1, Sonic Adv2, Colours
Sonic Games that maybe weren't bad but don't really have a desire to play again
Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic R, Tails Adventure, Sonic Battle,
Meh
Sonic 1 GG, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball, SAdv3, Sonic Heroes,
Bad Sonic Games:
Sonic '06, Sonic 2 GG, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic 4, Episode 1, Tails' Sky Patrol, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Shuffle
Sonic Games I haven't played and that probably says something about them being a sonic fan:
Secret Rings, Black Knight, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Forces, Sonic 4 Ep 2
Sonic Games I haven't played but am less ready to make a hot take on:
Sonic Riders Series, Sonic Team Racing, All-Star Racing

There's a bunch I didn't play and don't really have any perspective on to put them on this list / lazy. Honestly this list is pretty off the cuff and position shifting is subject to nostalgia as maybe I'm making this list with a bias against.

I'd love to see a remaster project for some of the later Game Gear games.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at.

06 and chaotix are both fun, and shuffle owns. opinion disqualified

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i am however glad that we can all agree sonic labyrinth is garbage and flawed in its basic premise

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Shuffle is possibly the worst sonic game. If you want sonic mario party, play secret rings

Secret rings also sucks, but not nearly as much as shuffle

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pants Donkey posted:

Wild that your list of adults excludes the villain, who has basically had one massive mid-life crisis for thirty years.

He made an ice cream planet and is fixated on theme parks. I am not convinced that eggman isn't just a 6-year old piloting a fat man mech.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Looper posted:

06 and chaotix are both fun, and shuffle owns. opinion disqualified
Bad games can be fun.

Chaotix has "Door Into Summer" and some other good tracks, which is kind of redeeming, but the level design feels so repetitive and unremarkable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

flavor.flv posted:

Shuffle is possibly the worst sonic game. If you want sonic mario party, play secret rings

Secret rings also sucks, but not nearly as much as shuffle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taghpptcGIM

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

That phrase is instantly what comes to mind when I think of Sonic Shuffle

That said, I think they were playing wrong (didn't have VMUs?) based on how I assume the card system is supposed to work? Or is it just supposed to be confusing and random?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you're supposed to be able to see your own hand on the vmu, which i legit think is a fun twist. emulators can set vmu screens to display on the main screen which leads to its own chaos but isn't quite as fun