Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So did they really just kill the JL by saying, "you're dead now." In the most unceremonious way possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Darth TNT posted:

So did they really just kill the JL by saying, "you're dead now." In the most unceremonious way possible?

They'll be back by the end of Dark Crisis.

It was such a wet fart of a comic. Had it been a free comic book day prelude it would have been fine, but as a more expensive issue of JL it fell hugely flat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I am not at all happy I paid money for that. I'm also not remotely interested in Dark Crisis, but I figured they could at least make their deaths interesting.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

Justice League Dead, So What?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Endless Mike posted:

I am not at all happy I paid money for that. I'm also not remotely interested in Dark Crisis, but I figured they could at least make their deaths interesting.

At least Green Arrow got crushed by rocks!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I am notoriously not a fan of Mark Russell in general but I thought One Star Squadron was sweet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've been catching up on a lot of DC stuff I've missed over the last year or so and I'm liking a lot more stuff recently. Especially Batman stuff, which is weird for me as I generally enjoy the Bat Family more than Batman himself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

I am notoriously not a fan of Mark Russell in general but I thought One Star Squadron was sweet.

It was extremely good and the ending was super heartfelt.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I've been catching up on a lot of DC stuff I've missed over the last year or so and I'm liking a lot more stuff recently. Especially Batman stuff, which is weird for me as I generally enjoy the Bat Family more than Batman himself.

You better enjoy Batman comics because that's just about all DC publishes on an ongoing basis.

Robin, Batgirls, and Nightwing are all pretty good and I enjoy them a lot, especially Nightwing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

Any bits you recommend? Bat bits? I've got Batman 118 but haven't checked out any other recent Bat titles. Looking forward to that Chip.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

Some of my earliest exposure to Superman comics was the Gangbuster era.

I found myself surprisingly sad at the death of the character. A character that hasn't mattered pretty much ever. But he was in the earliest comics I bought with my own money and it was vaguely like see an old friend pass.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I just got up to Ric Grayson in my Universe readthrough. I don't know how I feel about it.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Rhyno posted:

Some of my earliest exposure to Superman comics was the Gangbuster era.

I found myself surprisingly sad at the death of the character. A character that hasn't mattered pretty much ever. But he was in the earliest comics I bought with my own money and it was vaguely like see an old friend pass.

N52 supes? Yeah I found him more relatable than "Dad superman"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Heavy Metal posted:

Any bits you recommend? Bat bits? I've got Batman 118 but haven't checked out any other recent Bat titles. Looking forward to that Chip.

I don't know that I'd recommend it as must read or anything, but that's just because I generally don't like to go out of my way recommending stuff unless I think it's criminally underrated. Batman is not that. And again I'm reading stuff that's well over a year old and up to current. I just really enjoyed the Ghost-Maker stuff and Fear State. And I'm not sure how but I really like Joker War too and I normally don't like Joker stories at all. I don't know what the opinion is of Tynion's run but I like it. I also really loved his run on Detective as well, though that was less Batman focused. Zdarsky's early years title is really good too and bodes well for his run on the main title starting with 125.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Reading Batman and the outsiders vol 1 and Halo and geo-force go from interesting characters to please go away in 26 issues. Impressive.

Also lmao at batman letting katana murder indiscriminately.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Beerdeer posted:

I just got up to Ric Grayson in my Universe readthrough. I don't know how I feel about it.

Well, I know how I feel about it, and it's "skip over the whole thing and go straight to Taylor's Nightwing"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Speak posted:

Well, I know how I feel about it, and it's "skip over the whole thing and go straight to Taylor's Nightwing"

:hmmyes:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Reading Batman and the outsiders vol 1 and Halo and geo-force go from interesting characters to please go away in 26 issues. Impressive.

She's got his back. Bats would advise not getting killed by her. Her sword traps the souls of its victims.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Batman: "Eh, it's not a gun so whatever."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

Batman: "Eh, it's not a gun so whatever."

Pretty good post/avatar combo.

Edit: That's an Uncanny X-Force joke.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mr Hootington posted:

So I did a read through of Batman and the Outsiders about 10 or more years ago*. And what struck me is how unhinged Batman seems in this.

Like in the first issue he tells the Justice League that bad stuff is happening in an Eastern European country so the Justice League is just going to intervene. And when Superman lightly pushes back with a "Batman, I think we need to try doing this through official channels before we do something drastic or else we might inflame the situation", Batman immediately freaks out.
He goes full "you are holding me back! Maybe it's time Batman goes out on his own." (And when the Justice League don't capitulate to this he does walk out.)

And his behaviour in the series is full of similar instances of this sort of behaviour along with this weird Jim Aparo thing of Batman just smirking to himself like some unhinged person.

But what I found interesting is timeline wise (this series was pre-crisis ,the first one, but ended up being folded into the post crisis timeline.) this was at the end of the "Satellite Era" Justice League.
Now years later when Brad Metz wrote Identity Crisis, Batman finds the "Satellite Era" Justice League brainwashing Doctor Light and he tries to stop them before he gets his memory's erased.
They then say that even with his memories erased, Batman ended up having a subconscious mistrust of the Justice League and left the League for reasons he never consciously understood.

And timeline wise, that would be when that Batman and the Outsiders series began. If you read it through that lense, Batman's weird mannerism make a whole lot more sense.

*= Honestly at this stage it's probably nearly 15 years. Times advance, it's depressing to think about.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JordanKai posted:

Shaving a tiny line between your goatee and soul patch to keep them separated is the most evil thing the Riddler has ever done.

I have a bit of hair beneath my lip that doesn’t connect with the hair on my chin, some guys just have patches on their face that don’t grow hair

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

So I did a read through of Batman and the Outsiders about 10 or more years ago*. And what struck me is how unhinged Batman seems in this.

Like in the first issue he tells the Justice League that bad stuff is happening in an Eastern European country so the Justice League is just going to intervene. And when Superman lightly pushes back with a "Batman, I think we need to try doing this through official channels before we do something drastic or else we might inflame the situation", Batman immediately freaks out.
He goes full "you are holding me back! Maybe it's time Batman goes out on his own." (And when the Justice League don't capitulate to this he does walk out.)

And his behaviour in the series is full of similar instances of this sort of behaviour along with this weird Jim Aparo thing of Batman just smirking to himself like some unhinged person.

But what I found interesting is timeline wise (this series was pre-crisis ,the first one, but ended up being folded into the post crisis timeline.) this was at the end of the "Satellite Era" Justice League.
Now years later when Brad Metz wrote Identity Crisis, Batman finds the "Satellite Era" Justice League brainwashing Doctor Light and he tries to stop them before he gets his memory's erased.
They then say that even with his memories erased, Batman ended up having a subconscious mistrust of the Justice League and left the League for reasons he never consciously understood.

And timeline wise, that would be when that Batman and the Outsiders series began. If you read it through that lense, Batman's weird mannerism make a whole lot more sense.

*= Honestly at this stage it's probably nearly 15 years. Times advance, it's depressing to think about.

Batman uses the outsiders like his own personal black ops murder squad. It is surreal.

I'm reading a iran-contra book right now and it wouldn't surprise me if Oliver north was under the cowl.

Edit: he wants the JLA to invade and coup an eastern European nation because Lucius fox is being held hostage. When they day no he uses a bunch of misfit superheroes to overthrow the dictator snd reestablish a monarchy that he has some control in lol

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 5, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It would have made more sense for Jason Todd to be evil after coming back from the dead due to infinite crisis if his pre-crisis origin was restored and he realized Bruce and Dick got his parents killed through negligence and irresponsibility.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

RIP to a real one.

https://mobile.twitter.com/georgepereznet/status/1522991139162583040

I loved his art on JLA/Avengers and just the amount of people from across all eras he got to draw in at any given time.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
After reading the FCBD special, I just found it confusing more than anything. So Rebirth brought back the more traditional infinite possibilities multiverse, rather than a fixed 52 earths, or something?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

OldMemes posted:

After reading the FCBD special, I just found it confusing more than anything. So Rebirth brought back the more traditional infinite possibilities multiverse, rather than a fixed 52 earths, or something?

That's how I read it. I liked the 52.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

OldMemes posted:

I thought we've known this since Death Metal ended

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Blockhouse posted:

I thought we've known this since Death Metal ended

Maybe, but I picked up the FCBD issue fresh, and those are meant to catch casual readers up with the new status quo?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mike w. Barr wrote a terrible batman.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think this latest Wonder Woman was my favorite issue of the main title in a long time, or maybe it just seems like a breath of fresh air after the incoherent crossover we just got. I honestly quite like this new status quo of Steve and Etta running Checkmate out of a rented office with strings and duct tape. Cloonan and Conrad are at their best when doing more irreverent, slice-of-life stuff like this and with Batgirls.

Only downside is Etta looking like a Tiktok model, I suppose. :p

And like...am I reading this completely wrong? Does it seem to anyone else like they're setting up something, well, more-than-platonic between Steve and Siegfried? Is this just me thinking too wishfully? I had been mentally pushing for Diana to be in an actual throuple for ages now, and I thought it would be between her, another woman, and Steve if it ever did happen...but hey I would take this as well.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I read Jurassic League and it was incredibly stupid and what I love about comics. Please DC, more stuff like this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's definitely the stupidest thing I've read I'm a year and I can't wait for the next issue.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
It’s bugging me that Superman, who is the old Superman, didn’t recognize Connor Kent when he showed up.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

In the context of the 80s and how batman was portrayed, it makes zero sense that Batman did not kill joker after joker killed Jason Todd.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr Hootington posted:

In the context of the 80s and how batman was portrayed, it makes zero sense that Batman did not kill joker after joker killed Jason Todd.

I can dig, though I didn't end up feeling that way when I read that era. Batman hadn't been really killing anybody of note for a while at that point right? Aside from the usual goon collateral damage and sloppy stuff like that.

Plus I had that fourth wall knowledge of how fans voted to kill Jason, and the story has the usual pulpy and campy aspects to it. Just do to the tone of the writing and art, I'd feel like Killing Joke comes across as the more unforgivable thing somehow. And even that sold me on the idea of Batman not killing Joker. And I guess that came out a little bit before Death in the Family.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Been perusing some of this old Superman comics blog, love these kind of sites. Kind of getting a broad strokes picture of what was going on at different times.

Was curious to see a bit of what's between 86's Man of Steel and Panic in the Sky which I plan to read. And ended up adding some issues to my read list as well.

https://superman86to99.tumblr.com

It's crazy how untapped Superman is for adaptations overall. Just endless ideas, villains, wild situations, lot of imagination.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heavy Metal posted:

Been perusing some of this old Superman comics blog, love these kind of sites. Kind of getting a broad strokes picture of what was going on at different times.

Was curious to see a bit of what's between 86's Man of Steel and Panic in the Sky which I plan to read. And ended up adding some issues to my read list as well.

https://superman86to99.tumblr.com

It's crazy how untapped Superman is for adaptations overall. Just endless ideas, villains, wild situations, lot of imagination.

That's the golden age of Superman for me. There's still good stuff after that but the post Byrne era is where I started and where my heart will always reside in Superman lore.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, that's cool to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If a Superman comic doesn't have triangle numbers on the cover it's just not as good.