Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Cool, ty. Ordered.

e: 171 is almost exactly how many minutes late for work I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What's this book then? Is Starmer actually a bad dude and not a forensic human rights lawyer, with a love for the ladies, real ale, and carmageddon.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

keep punching joe posted:

What's this book then? Is Starmer actually a bad dude and not a forensic human rights lawyer, with a love for the ladies, real ale, and carmageddon.

Here's a review: https://www.newstatesman.com/ideas/2022/04/tell-us-who-you-really-are-keir-starmer

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

I feel like the New Statesman is being at least a little cheeky getting Richard Seymour of Lenin's Tomb to write that review

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Good article, also like how it sums up the events of 2018-2019.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

ronya posted:

I feel like the New Statesman is being at least a little cheeky getting Richard Seymour of Lenin's Tomb to write that review

He writes for them pretty often now. Are they tacking a bit more to the left these days? Writers I like seem to be popping up there a lot more often than I'd previously noticed.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
It's not that Seymour shouldn't review books for them, but you'd think it'd be acknowledged in the byline. "Hey, this guy wrote Corbyn: The Strange Rebirth of Radical Politics!"

I do casually feel like there's a greater diversity of opinions again now that the Sanders-Corbyn moment is over - less obsequious kowtowing to perceived party-faction lines (Seymour himself was far from immune - he certainly found it plenty convenient to play up solidarity-against-"disaster nationalism" whenever it suited a Comrade-Corbyn-has-a-plan anti-Brexit mood amongst the left)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Do they still have the transphobe whose name I can never remember on staff? Hadley something I think?

Also do you have any personal opinions in if that moment being over is good Ronya or do we have to try and figure that out ourselves?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 3, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Badley Proofread :radcat:

ronya posted:

I do casually feel like there's a greater diversity of opinions again now that the Sanders-Corbyn moment is over
I wonder how much of that is similar to it being far easier to play around with novel betting strategies when you're playing with tiddlywinks. There's not much chance of being called to pay up at the moment.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ronya posted:

I do casually feel like there's a greater diversity of opinions again now that the Sanders-Corbyn moment is over - less obsequious kowtowing to perceived party-faction lines
aka, centrists can pretend to be progressive again now there's no danger of an actual leftist getting into power

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ronya posted:

It's not that Seymour shouldn't review books for them, but you'd think it'd be acknowledged in the byline. "Hey, this guy wrote Corbyn: The Strange Rebirth of Radical Politics!"

Did Stephen Bush pieces in the New Statesman have a byline that mention he's a Blairite toe-rag? George Eaton's mention he's a weathercock seemingly unencumbered with any convictions? Why would Seymour's explain his politics? It's not loving hard to look it up for yourself in 2022

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Do they still have the transphobe whose name I can never remember on staff? Hadley something I think?

Also do you have any personal opinions in if that moment being over is good Ronya or do we have to try and figure that out ourselves?

Hadley Freeman. I don’t actually see any evidence of her being on staff at NS.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Borrovan posted:

aka, centrists can pretend to be progressive again now there's no danger of an actual leftist getting into power

Yeah you're much more likely to get a plurality of opinion when there is no plurality of choice. Now it's two Conservative parties battling it out for the right to hold the beating stick all the people who shat themselves inside out with rage at Corbyn can tut tut at the problems safe in the knowledge no solutions are coming.

The Starmer book is good. It's basically a time line of decisions he made as a young lawyer all the way up to now and it paints Starmer as a guy who would occasionally do Human rights work for cover for his much broader career of covering for awful human rights abuses.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder how much of that is similar to it being far easier to play around with novel betting strategies when you're playing with tiddlywinks. There's not much chance of being called to pay up at the moment.

Some cynical careerism, some genuine wandering-the-desert exploration of ideas, some mendacious intellectual dishonesty... who's to say, really. Owen Jones got a lot of (unfair, I feel) heat for carelessly questioning the faith in 2017, and no amount of grovelling apologies afterwards seemed to make up for it.

I still think the Corbynist programme of middle-class-universal-basic-services-and-Keynesian-municipalism-as-the-legitimate-leftism will be a lasting legacy, but you can see that the IPPR has gone back to the quiet stables of cross-party consultations and reports for instance; the radicals have likewise stopped trying to sell this as radicalism with a straight face.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Hadley Freeman is a Guardian TERF who likes to embarrass herself in interviews with famous people by trying to get them to agree with her stupid bigotry, see most notably her recent interview with Margaret Attwood.

Helen Lewis was the resident TERF in New Statesman but has since hosed off to the States, presumably to spread her poison to the liberals there who are generally less irredeemable garbage on trans rights than our own. I think she writes for The Atlantic now but unsure.

But easy to mistake, both are shites

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He can call me whatever he likes, I just feel like I'm going insane when I come into the marxism thread and see takes like 'the tories might actually be better than labour.'

Why do you assume Labour (as in the word that happens to be applied to a particular random bunch of politicians) are necessarily better than the Tories?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Ah yes, perhaps today will be the day that ronya expresses a personal opinion about politics, rather than just obliquely referencing a bunch of PPE arcanum and maybe a few loosely-connected graphs

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ah yes, perhaps today will be the day that ronya expresses a personal opinion about politics, rather than just obliquely referencing a bunch of PPE arcanum and maybe a few loosely-connected graphs

It's great that so many words can be used to say so little. Any personal opinion or wish to make things easier to understand by others can be safely ignored behind multisyllable words that act as an assault on the meaning of meaning.

Like when I talk at my work my entire role is to make things more explicable for other people and I think this is what causes me to hate academic language so loving much.

As a side thing and sort of unrelated, but I think this may be why so many lecturers are such dogshit at actually teaching anything.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

ronya posted:

Owen Jones got a lot of (unfair, I feel) heat for carelessly questioning the faith in 2017, and no amount of grovelling apologies afterwards seemed to make up for it.

Jones, and Jack Monroe, and Toynbee, and all the other loving pseudo leftist media ghouls who were happy to use their platforms to undermine jombly cromblois in 2017 can get 100% hosed forever. Our only opportunity in four decades to vote for someone who wasn't an utterly worthless oval office. gently caress all of those disgusting loving twats.

Bugman has it right - we will not fix our problems through voting. How we will fix them I don't know. Probably we won't. I'm not voting for loving keith loving starmer ever though, I don't give a gently caress, and neither should anyone else. Have some loving respect for yourself

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

kyojin posted:

Bugman has it right - we will not fix our problems through voting. How we will fix them I don't know. Probably we won't. I'm not voting for loving keith loving starmer ever though, I don't give a gently caress, and neither should anyone else. Have some loving respect for yourself

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Hadley Freeman is a Guardian TERF who likes to embarrass herself in interviews with famous people by trying to get them to agree with her stupid bigotry, see most notably her recent interview with Margaret Attwood.

Helen Lewis was the resident TERF in New Statesman but has since hosed off to the States, presumably to spread her poison to the liberals there who are generally less irredeemable garbage on trans rights than our own. I think she writes for The Atlantic now but unsure.

But easy to mistake, both are shites

Thank you very much for clarifying very much!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mr Phillby posted:

After years of never corbyn its genuinely insulting to see 'vote red no matter what' rhetoric. The only sensible path forward would be to dump Starmer and pick a new candidate actually interested in uniting the party, acknowledging damage done and building the big tent. I am not holding out for much, just give me vaguely progressive policies and a leader who hasn't obliterated my trust utterly.

It won't happen because the crux of the matter is that the labour right would rather lose on a right wing platform than win on a left wing platform. They've said as much and demonstrated their commitment quite throughly.

Whatever your personal calculus when it comes down to it at the ballot box its tatically insane to voice that you'll hold your nose if you want better from the labour party. I also think that anyone arguing in favour of voting labour would do better advocating for compromise with the left and mending bridges in the party itself than bashing their heads against people who at this point feel so alienated and betrayed by the party that it will take genuine actual change to repair.

Very much agree with this.

There is no "uniting the party". Corbyn was as unifying as you'll ever get. He really did try, including putting relative right-wingers in positions of power within the party. The Labour Right have shown that the only united party they will ever accept is one where the left are kicked out of the party, therefore the only alternative to that is one where the right are kicked out of the party.

Voting for and legitimising the Labour right is going to lead to precisely zero meaningful positive change to anything. The most powerful thing you can do as a leftist in Britain right now is withholding your vote from the Labour party. I'd maybe consider voting for Labour if and only if I had a good, solidly left-wing candidate like Abbott, RLB, Burgon, Butler, but I'd say that's an almost exhaustive list. I don't rate the rest of the SCG. Maybe I'm wrong in that.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WhatEvil posted:

Voting for and legitimising the Labour right is going to lead to precisely zero meaningful positive change to anything. The most powerful thing you can do as a leftist in Britain right now is withholding your vote from the Labour party. I'd maybe consider voting for Labour if and only if I had a good, solidly left-wing candidate like Abbott, RLB, Burgon, Butler, but I'd say that's an almost exhaustive list. I don't rate the rest of the SCG. Maybe I'm wrong in that.

Don't forget Zarah.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lungboy posted:

Don't forget Zarah.

Yeah she's S-tier imo

e: any excuse to repost this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qzNFIEBcTk

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 3, 2022

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

I got lost in my own brain trying to express that lot and forgot to make the actual point, which is that I think that all of that makes them very resistant to the idea of making radical changes to how the country operates, or anythng that would threaten that fundamental hegemony of tory/labour control. Yes it is possible that PR would change how the country works, but for that very reason I think that the current iteration of labour and the tories would not support it. It is very at odds, I think, with their apparent devotion to expanding state power and reducing democratic accountability for that power.

Yeah I think Labour getting obliterated under Keir is also more likely (though probably still overall unlikely) to lead to PR than a rousing success or a middling result.

Lungboy posted:

Don't forget Zarah.

Oh yeah. Zarah is fantastic, don't know how I forgot her. Is Nadia Whittome also alright? I seem to remember thinking she was but I'm not sure if she melted.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WhatEvil posted:

Is Nadia Whittome also alright? I seem to remember thinking she was but I'm not sure if she melted.

The latter.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kyojin posted:

Jones, and Jack Monroe, and Toynbee, and all the other loving pseudo leftist media ghouls who were happy to use their platforms to undermine jombly cromblois in 2017 can get 100% hosed forever. Our only opportunity in four decades to vote for someone who wasn't an utterly worthless oval office. gently caress all of those disgusting loving twats.
In three years time when we're lamenting that the various left factions couldn't unite, you'll still be playing purity politics and wondering why nobody listens to us. This is exactly why people don't like the left. People like Piers Morgan constantly accuse us of never letting go of anything anyone ever said wrong, and here you are offering a shining example.

How the hell are we supposed to ever get anyone on side if we keep monstering them for having said something wrong in the past? I get Toynbee; she has been consistently stupid in her 'the problems are bad but the causes are fine' thinking.

I kind of get Owen Jones because he does keep slipping back toward centre compromise every time it looks convenient, but you're talking about the guy who's been beaten up in public, threatened on a daily basis and exhausts himself trying to defend opinions that even remotely face left.

But Jack Monroe? Jack Monroe who spoke personally to Corbyn and publicly apologised for having got him wrong? Jack Monroe who is now campaigning against food poverty? Jack Monroe who had to delete a tweet calling for revolution a week or so ago? Jack Monroe who is currently writing and researching a book about how the last 12 years of tory rule have hosed the country?

I get that you're angry, but you're pointing that bile in completely the wrong direction. I'm pretty sure you must have said dumb poo poo in the past and regretted it later. Hopefully this post will become one of them.

People can change for gently caress's sake. How many of us in this thread were dumb shits and voted lib dem in 2010? If we keep playing purity politics like this nobody comes out alive.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
corbyn was the compromise candidate, and that the mildest of centre left politics got such a rapid and visceral reaction from capital was illustrative both to the prospects of someone of similar ideological bent getting through and to the extent capital control of politics and the media ensures the utterly stage managed potemkin democracy we have

it gets to the point where- thinking in isolation of the other horrific ramifications- the fact this civilisation is hosed is rather calming sometimes

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1521483167106011138

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

WhatEvil posted:

I'm in this camp. My options for the council elections this week consist of:

Lab: RLB's press secretary and endorsed by RLB so probably not terrible?
Con: Some random tory
Ind: Ex-Lib Dem, then UKIP, then green, now independent (?)
Green: Ex Tory, then Lab, now Green, claims he was ousted from lab by 'the hard left' lol
Lib dem: Some random piss diamond

I am firmly in the 'don't enable lab' camp but with that list I have zero choice

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

StarkingBarfish posted:

I'm in this camp. My options for the council elections this week consist of:

Lab: RLB's press secretary and endorsed by RLB so probably not terrible?
Con: Some random tory
Ind: Ex-Lib Dem, then UKIP, then green, now independent (?)
Green: Ex Tory, then Lab, now Green, claims he was ousted from lab by 'the hard left' lol
Lib dem: Some random piss diamond

I am firmly in the 'don't enable lab' camp but with that list I have zero choice

could just not vote

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Also, like, it's okay to just disagree with people sometimes. I know lots of people who never trusted Corbyn, largely because he's an old middle class white man & long time Labour MP, which, like... yeah, I kind of get why you wouldn't be all aboard the Corbyn train? On the other side, there's plenty of libs out there who think that the problems are bad, & the causes are also bad, but just don't quite fully realise what the causes are, but they do some good work & their hearts are in the right place so, like, I guess they're fine?

It's only when people get to "the causes are very good" that they can get to gently caress imo

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Bobby Deluxe posted:

you'll still be playing purity politics and wondering why nobody listens to us

shut the gently caress up

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If the choice is between the polite beginnings of fascism or outright fascism, i'll choose the one that gets us a step back from outright fascism

if you are willing to vote for facists because they are polite then guess what I don't give a miniscule gently caress about getting you onside. gently caress off with your literal endorsement of fascism you disgusting failure

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Barry Foster posted:

could just not vote

True, but I'm not sure that sends any message at all, or at least one that will be internalised by lab.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

kyojin posted:

shut the gently caress up

if you are willing to vote for facists because they are polite then guess what I don't give a miniscule gently caress about getting you onside. gently caress off with your literal endorsement of fascism you disgusting failure

near as I can tell from the past decade is that the british voting public have a massive hardon for fascism and will vote for it at every opportunity, gleefully rubbing themselves that Those Wronguns are going to get what's what

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

True, but I'm not sure that sends any message at all, or at least one that will be internalised by lab.

If the system doesn't represent you, see what your best options are for working outside it. Don't bother with deciding which of the cowards, crooks, and psychopaths they're offering you will 'send the best message'.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

There are plenty of good socialist Labour councillors and councillor candidates, and if you have an opportunity to you 100% should vote for them. Don't sacrifice to opportunity to have socialists in your local council and possibly doing good stuff (like in Preston) in order to send a vague message about national politics that you are deluding yourself if you think they'll actually be received.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, if your local candidate is good, support them. That should go without saying and I'm as "quit Labour, it's a waste" as anyone.

But the odds are your local candidate either are poo poo or it's incredibly hard to find any info on them in any way (my Labour Council candidate for Thursday has sent nothing, isn't even on Twitter so maybe he'll get my 3rd or 4th choice)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Chapter 2 of the book now, seems that John McDonnell was poo poo too.

Tune in next time for more "Dead Goon can read a book" updates soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I kind of get Owen Jones because he does keep slipping back toward centre compromise every time it looks convenient, but you're talking about the guy who's been beaten up in public, threatened on a daily basis and exhausts himself trying to defend opinions that even remotely face left.

But Jack Monroe? Jack Monroe who spoke personally to Corbyn and publicly apologised for having got him wrong? Jack Monroe who is now campaigning against food poverty? Jack Monroe who had to delete a tweet calling for revolution a week or so ago? Jack Monroe who is currently writing and researching a book about how the last 12 years of tory rule have hosed the country?

I get that you're angry, but you're pointing that bile in completely the wrong direction. I'm pretty sure you must have said dumb poo poo in the past and regretted it later. Hopefully this post will become one of them.

People can change for gently caress's sake. How many of us in this thread were dumb shits and voted lib dem in 2010? If we keep playing purity politics like this nobody comes out alive.

They didn't just 'say something dumb'

Owen Jones was cycling around London in 2017 trying to organise a leadership challenge.

Jack Monroe literally stood against Labour.

I think that's probably enough to suggest 'hey maybe these guys don't have the best interest of the labour left in mind or have seriously bad judgement and shouldn't be listened to' outside their subject of expertise.