Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DuckConference posted:

i'm almost curious to interview there because it would be pretty fun to say a number first when that number is a cool half mil.

Big same, but only almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a friend who was interviewing there but she wasn't super stoked on it so I told her "just say a really stupid number" and she texted me back like 2 days later just "welp"

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

as for embedded do you mean ADAS or other vehicle stuff?

been all consumer electronics so far. the recruiter spam I get from them is from oculus, which is obviously headed for shitcanning/major restructuring eventually but that could still be years away

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
is this exclusively about embdev at facebook or about embdev elsewhere too, because if it's the latter then i'd like to get back into embdev but the salaries and openings were pretty dismal last time i looked a few years ago.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

is this exclusively about embdev at facebook or about embdev elsewhere too, because if it's the latter then i'd like to get back into embdev but the salaries and openings were pretty dismal last time i looked a few years ago.

apple, google, and amazon hire a bunch and at one point were paying a little higher than other SDE offers. not sure what it's like outside of bigtech though.

which is sometimes why I consider a slight path change from embedded to like garbage databases in lovely VMs or whatever it is that other SWEs do

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DuckConference posted:

apple, google, and amazon hire a bunch and at one point were paying a little higher than other SDE offers. not sure what it's like outside of bigtech though.

which is sometimes why I consider a slight path change from embedded to like garbage databases in lovely VMs or whatever it is that other SWEs do

look at what’s going on in phones and cars - garbage databases in lovely VMs are coming to you!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

I have a friend who was interviewing there but she wasn't super stoked on it so I told her "just say a really stupid number" and she texted me back like 2 days later just "welp"

didn't say a big enough number!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey maybe this is a good place to ask

one thing about my job is that it’s a very well defined role and you just search for pharmacist and that’s it, you get a job

anyway, I hate this poo poo and wanna move into something totally different

is there a job that exists in the space between devs and the users? and surely there is development happening in the medical software space? I have a decade of frontline healthcare experience and I know that poo poo well (including all the poo poo that they put up with and the failures that happen because of it) and I am computer savvy enough to “get” computer stuff (and willing to get up to speed on this), and can communicate with both of those groups well.

(working on making the UI/UX in this space would be the ultimate use of my skills I reckon)

I assume roles exist in this space but I have no idea what to even look for or keywords or titles, or what I might need to do to get up to speed.

if anyone feels like I’m worth giving a pointer to I’d be appreciate

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
product management and product owner and product departments is what you wanna search. everything medical software is dog poo poo but you mightve noticed that already

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

business analyst too, idk how one becomes a business analyst though, the ones i work with are mostly just ppl who flame out of dev work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm thanks that’s exactly what I was looking for thankyou

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s not like I’m dead set on the medical field, but on the surface it makes sense to make the most of my job experience I suppose

I clueless though. I spoke to a recruiter this morning but they did recruiting for totally unrelated poo poo lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
medical software is all over the place because EHRs dominate everything and they are pretty universally trash since they're built for hospital administrators rather than for healthcare. every EHR is its own mini-SAP and once they have the EHR they wont buy any other software

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
your best bet is software used by 3rd parties to provide services to healthcare providers rather than providing that same software to the providers directly. but who knows, maybe with the right sales connections you could force your way into some provider networks

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

product management and product owner and product departments is what you wanna search. everything medical software is dog poo poo but you mightve noticed that already

seconding this, any type of software that you are an end user for as a pharmacist is a candidate for you to swing into product management

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s good to know. having a “target” also means I suppose I can work out if there are any supportive skills to grow

as far as I can tell “product owner” is an agile term or adjacent at least?

it’s all stuff that’s utterly foreign to me, so I suppose being clueless ain’t gonna help me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you dont like learning stuff i recommend not going into technology

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh idk where I implied that, I love learning stuff and the idea excites me

just implying that I am currently clueless into the way day to day runs at all, and should probably try to do what I can extracurricular so I both know about and can show that I have a clue (even if it’s theoretical nor experience)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pharmacy is a workplace where the workload is immediately obvious and it’s just a matter of dispensing prescriptions and doing the necessary paperwork

there’s nothing like sprints or planning or stories or whatever the heck

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theres also medical hardware. since hes a pharmacist, theres robotic pill dispensers for example. can also probably easily move over to product or business work with say analysis equipment as well.

just punching "new zealand pharmacy automation" into google turns up douglas automation ( https://www.douglasautomation.co.nz/ )that make various dispensing machines. echinopsis, could you see yourself "selling" or writing market requirements documents for stuff like that?

jesus WEP posted:

business analyst too, idk how one becomes a business analyst though, the ones i work with are mostly just ppl who flame out of dev work

from personal experience I can say that field application engineer is the perfect transition for a developer flaming out due to severe untreated ADHD :v:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 3, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

theres also medical hardware. since hes a pharmacist, theres robotic pill dispensers for example. can also probably easily move over to product or business work with say analysis equipment as well.

just punching "new zealand pharmacy automation" into google turns up douglas automation ( https://www.douglasautomation.co.nz/ )that make various dispensing machines. echinopsis, could you see yourself "selling" or writing market requirements documents for stuff like that?

good questions. it’s another avenue here to think about, thanks

quote:

from personal experience I can say that field application engineer is the perfect transition for a developer flaming out due to severe untreated ADHD :v:

hehe some more keywords thanks

idk if it is my assumed and undiagnosed adhd (in the first stages of looking at a diagnosis) but when I am in a good place I feel like I have such an abundance of skill and ability and potential, and i’m desperate to use it and make the most of it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAE or sometimes solution architect is generally the most technical of the jobs on the "sales" or "business" side. so for a job involving firmware and a piece of embedded equipment it'll generally assumed that you can write some C

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
be a product owner

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

FAE or sometimes solution architect is generally the most technical of the jobs on the "sales" or "business" side. so for a job involving firmware and a piece of embedded equipment it'll generally assumed that you can write some C

lol I can write “some” c, i’ll be sure to include my arduino projects in my cv 😂

barkbell posted:

be a product owner

maybe I should

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

jesus WEP posted:

ime a business analyst (on a technical team, anyway) is just a product manager for an internal product, because they have the opportunity and responsibility to analyze the requirements in more depth than what a pm for external customers can really do

echinopsis posted:

that’s good to know. having a “target” also means I suppose I can work out if there are any supportive skills to grow

as far as I can tell “product owner” is an agile term or adjacent at least?

it’s all stuff that’s utterly foreign to me, so I suppose being clueless ain’t gonna help me

"product owner" is like the lowercase general description for the main thing that a Product Manager does, so you'll likely see them used near-interchangeably

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankyou. that’s actually very helpful

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYvmywzAUQ

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

qirex posted:

"Yeah, I'll sell you Minecraft... for 1 billion dollars."

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sleng Teng posted:

it’s been unbearable lol. ML/AI teams won’t gently caress off, dunno about other sectors

shoulda gone into systems, then you could get AWS recruiters that refuse to gently caress off instead

Shaggar posted:

medical software is all over the place because EHRs dominate everything and they are pretty universally trash since they're built for hospital administrators rather than for healthcare. every EHR is its own mini-SAP and once they have the EHR they wont buy any other software

god purge judy faulkner's greed from the earth. it won't be a meaningfully better place since the other EHR vendors are also garbo, but at least they're honest about siphoning those sweet, sweet healthcare dollars out of the system. let's be honest though, it wouldn't be any better if CMOs were in charge, cause (a) ENTERPRISE software and (b) doctors are way up there on the "i am smart so i know how software should work ugh just let me design it" scale of having no idea how to design software alongside lawyers n such in terms of teaching you to appreciate HCI and friends as a profession

unrelated yotj news gonna try with some hashicorp recruiter cold call as for once relevant to my skillset and less annoying than trying to coax market rate out of my current employer, much as my current job is comfortable easy mode

i havent the slightest idea what they've done with the consul brand but i guess the current direction is essentially what i work on already, with less legacy bullshit, better pay, and probably a better remote work culture

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine the systems we have in nz are totally different

if there was a dream job, it would be working on something like a central, state run, gold standard patient chart

it does my head in that there isn't a master copy patient chart for all healthcare workers to point to

instead what a patient should be on or doing is somewhat just derived from combining the latest set of prescriptions and notes, and hopefully coming to a conclusion that is correct..

anyway its a goal worth chasing for the good of patients, and you'd think it could exist in theory. idk if it ever will. but I would love to be part of a team who could make it happen, part of something that really did improve lives, because I see first hand how the lack of something like this causes a lot of misunderstandinds

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

wait a sec. staff engineer is a level up from senior?
is there a common hierarchy on how the titles go?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I have a non-technical friend who deep dived into agile theory and is now a product owner and making decent coin at a payroll software company. personally that sounds like torture to me but it's an easy way to get into software without coding

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Penisface posted:

yeah staff is a nebulous term that can mean different things to different orgs but it’s almost always above senior. often you can tell when you’re staff or some staff-like role because it’s when you spend less time coding than you spend helping other people code

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

yeah staff is a nebulous term that can mean different things to different orgs but it’s almost always above senior. often you can tell when you’re staff or some staff-like role because it’s when you spend less time coding than you spend helping other people code

cool thanks for clarifying

i might be a staff engineer then looking at the % of time i spend reviewing and mentoring

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Penisface posted:

tech majors seem to have generally settled on:
new graduate/junior SDE
SDE
senior SDE
staff SDE
principal SDE

there may be more adjectives for intermediate tiers. above that there may be “distinguished engineer” or “fellow” or some such.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

it's basically just a way to be able to keep promoting individuals who have no interest in management, which is a very reasonable goal on both sides

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

in my company you can go 3 routes upward from senior:

management, where you're assigned multiple teams to look after and it involves all the things you'd expect from management
architecture, where you make nice plans that will never come to fruition, and make sure different products are aligned on tools and standards and whatnot
tech lead, where you're in charge of a specific product and make sure devs don't gently caress it up

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

thanks.

in my current place i my title is senior sde and tech lead role is p much filled already

however its good to know that i should be shooting for staff sde in my interview processes because that matches what i am doing now and what i am interested in continuing to do

also i feel like letting your prospective employer know what city you are in when looking for a remote position is like telling them a number. im in a middle of a process now for a full remote position but the company has an office in my city so the talk instantly went to 3 days on site per week

my takeaway is that i need to be more strict about this in the future. they get my precise address when we do hr procedures after signing the deal. i should have no more patience for companies that care so much about what chair my rear end is in

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

at my place we have associate eng before eng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
we do senior --> lead --> principal --> distinguished

it's all over the place everywhere just get paid and get the most distinguished sounding title you can