Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Anime Store Adventure posted:

We have such sights to show you.

Okay, it's something I could have made in the last patch, but this took me less than half the time to get something this close to symmetric and once its built I can actually signal it believably so traffic matters.

Road construction not being absolutely stupid about being tied to tiny 1m segments when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There's some really confusing poo poo with water and the UI right now. I haven't unpaused (in my lengthy pre-game pause) but like.. The big water well can support 7 workers and alleges 215 cubic meters of water, per worker, per day. The max pressure of the largest pipe is 127 cubic meters per day. You can attach only 5 to the big water well. Which suggests at full production: The well can produce 1500 cubic meters of water per day, but can only move 635 cubic meters of water per day if you put a big pipe to each output. Then the water treatment plant alleges a maximum of 150 cubic meters per workday.. But supports 10 workers. I'm going to assume this means 1500 total, but its unclear to me. But it only has four inputs and three outputs, which suggests 500 input and 400 output, max. There's also no explanation for what 15 cubic meters of wastewater means for pollution percentage.

I'm sure this will become much more clear once I just get everything working and play with it a bit, but I really hate this and the heating system for having all of these weird inherent behaviors that aren't just not communicated well, but not really communicated *at all* within the information provided.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
See also the electricity UI being consistently the most awkward of power or energy for doing any useful spitball calculations without getting out the notebook for dimensional analysis.

I haven't checked out the beta branch yet but sounds like it's maybe the most frustrating spot where any weird worker vs output balances tends to be for shift coverage type issues. If there's a decent in building storage, 7 workers instantaneously oversupplying the draw capability let's you change workers without absolutely perfect minibus worker delivery by letting you draw from the reservoir while a new set of workers get delivered.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Agreed, electricity is also a really annoying one. At the very least, the cost of 'overserving' electricity is relatively minor, and because everything needs it, its quick to get a vague 'handle' on what you really need to serve to an area.

Waste seems almost worse than water. Waste collects in tanks, goes to pumps, fine. Sewage treatment can produce water from waste water..? But there's no way to pipe-out water from sewage treatment, only more wastewater. Does this mean its not actually converting anything from waste water > water? Is it just exporting less-polluted wastewater, and does that mean I still need to dump it in the bay?

Also for both treatment plants, its super unclear if the percentage clean means it takes longer? Do I get 2x production if I cut the purification by half? Does it just use more chemicals?

They're super negligent about this for tons of mechanics 'recently' added by patches, but the water and waste systems really, REALLY need the equivalent of an official wiki page to understand at any base level.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I still don't really understand heating and just keep piping more in until the numbers are good. I'm a bit worried water is gonna work the same way.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Arven posted:

I still don't really understand heating and just keep piping more in until the numbers are good. I'm a bit worried water is gonna work the same way.

To be fair, that does seem like very Soviet thing to do.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
New community report, sounds like that Ukraine DLC they mentioned will be ready for the public release of the next update thanks to collaberation with modders: https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-48

quote:

Report for the Community #48

Greetings dear comrades of the Soviet Republic. You may be aware that we made another step forward, and the water treatment update was released for public testing recently. We want to thank everybody who was participating in internal testing for feedback, and we want to encourage you to let us know what you think, if you are currently facing the challenges of these new mechanics. Your feedback is welcome.

We also received and reviewed the models created by community for Ukrainian DLC. Thanks to excellent work of all the authors, we have a bunch of high-quality models which will be part of this DLC which may be released together with the water treatment update. It will not be available for public testing, to avoid unavailability for those who do not play the public test version after purchase.

There were few new things added to public test version of the game you may enjoy, and we did not mention before. We added a new function to allow you to send all vehicles from one depot to another. Many of you were asking for this function.

We also added a new terminal (waiting) station which can manage line spacing allowing you to set time intervals in between departures. This will solve most of problems with line spacing. The principle is simple. A vehicle is being released a set time interval after previous vehicle departure. If the vehicle arrives at station later than the interval is, it is released immediately without delays. The old line spacing remains in the game as it still can have its use especially in less traffic heavy areas.

We also tweaked the livestock farms production and slaughterhouse consumption. Besides that, we removed the ability of logger trucks to transport anything except wood and boards. We also made some traffic improvements. You will be able to force green color for traffic lights at specific direction, and emergency vehicles will force traffic forward, to allow them to pass the crossroad faster.

We are grateful for everybody who is here to help either with development, feedback, or other practical things we need to manage while developing this game. We are glad that for most people the game provides fun, and they do not take it too seriously, because that is the reason, why we play games. We want to escape the cruel reality and enjoy some fiction with distinct set of challenges, forgetting about struggles in real life for a moment. We wish you all success in your current Republic’s development and in your life. Stay safe, love each other, and stay tuned for the next report.

Thank You for Your Support

3Division Team

I continue to love the tone of these reports :unsmith:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

On a different note and since I check the workshop for this game once a day instead of actually playing, someone put together a mod to please the ~trains~ part of people's brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YN3iXydamU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSd-qP1e7Q

Links to the actual mods are in the descriptions of the videos. Whenever the test branch goes live I want to start a save with big railyards and just watch the trains go by.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

On a different note and since I check the workshop for this game once a day instead of actually playing, someone put together a mod to please the ~trains~ part of people's brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YN3iXydamU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSd-qP1e7Q

Links to the actual mods are in the descriptions of the videos. Whenever the test branch goes live I want to start a save with big railyards and just watch the trains go by.

oh good lord, yes

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Those are incredible. Might have to fire up a new map soon with all these good mods and changes.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Is there any way to set conditions for routes?

E.g. I want my train to pick up steel at the plant, then drop off steel at the warehouse, and then export anything that won't fit. Just making a 3 stop route works, but it also means that if everything fits in the warehouse then the empty train goes all the way to the customs station and back. I want it to skip going to the customs station if it's empty.

Or is there another way to sell overflow that I'm missing?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

esquilax posted:

Is there any way to set conditions for routes?

E.g. I want my train to pick up steel at the plant, then drop off steel at the warehouse, and then export anything that won't fit. Just making a 3 stop route works, but it also means that if everything fits in the warehouse then the empty train goes all the way to the customs station and back. I want it to skip going to the customs station if it's empty.

Or is there another way to sell overflow that I'm missing?

I don't think there's a great way to do it with one train, unfortunately. There's no conditional logic. One thing you could do is have a second storage station nearby which your train dumps the remainder to, and have it added to a rail distribution office (or just have a second train idle on another connected track waiting to fill). It's still a little out of the way but not very much so.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Actually, if it's aggregate storage, you can potentially do this without an extra stop now that the conveyors have priority, but it's still not great

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The only conditionals you can introduce into your systems are through distro offices. If I want a “sell the excess” I set up a distro office that says “if this source is over 80% (or whatever), load x. Sell X at destination.”

This doesn’t let you have one train have them smarts to not travel, but you could at least set up two trains such that one loads the storage, and one conditionally comes and grabs excess and sells it at the border only when it gets too full.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The water system is a bit opaque. Not sure how you efficiently remove sewage if there isn't a river nearby to dump it in.

Which is probably realistic or w/e but I was thinking of building some mountain towns on a hilly map and third kind of ruins those plans.

Could always dump it at the border post bit that's lazy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

double nine posted:

The water system is a bit opaque. Not sure how you efficiently remove sewage if there isn't a river nearby to dump it in.

Which is probably realistic or w/e but I was thinking of building some mountain towns on a hilly map and third kind of ruins those plans.

Could always dump it at the border post bit that's lazy

Vomit the turds into a now-cursed turd valley far from anything useful. Or, perhaps more interestingly, into a caldera to create Mt. Vepoovius.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
You can just lower the terrain below the water level and dump it in an artificially created pond. I hope we get some different options like incinerators.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Just saw there's a Sewage and Water Rail Car + Load/Unload Station mod on the workshop now. I love insane solutions like that. Also, time for a gimmick run of "value-enhanced water" exports to the decadent west perhaps?

There's also a new map called Fox County (I think?) that looks really good

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if it is easier to make a funicular railway to haul poo poo uphill than to use the pumps?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Latest community report is pretty light on details, but there's a bunch of pretty pictures of new metro trainsets and the accompanying above-ground infrastructure. Third-rail tracks with built in fences?

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-49

quote:

Report for the Community #49

Greetings dear comrades of the Soviet Republic. Soon we will celebrate International Worker’s Day as there is only one week of this month of April and May will come soon. The time when spring is in full swing and soviet pigeons may try to make it in your unoccupied balcony gives us another opportunity to share some good news about development of the game as we finally can move on and show you first images of the upcoming underground (metro).

It may not look like a big deal but there were quite a few things discussed in connection with this update and we will reveal them later. For now, we can show you some of the trainsets which will operate on our underground (metro) lines. Of course, there will be a new type of above ground tracks for moving in between depos and underground tunnel sections.

There is a lengthy list of tweaks, we have made recently based on feedback from public test version. We increased the power of water pumps and added deeper sewage pumps. Then the throughput of treatment plants was doubled and pollution for water sources was fixed. The pollution of direct sewage discharges was adjusted to give players a reason to use sewage treatment. Also, the desired quality treatment setting for treatment plants is now in +/-2% instead of 5%.

And then some new water trucks (Rmn 135, T138, T148) were added and also mixer and dumper animations for rest of vanilla vehicles.

Thank You for Your support

3Division Team

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Gonna quote a post I just made in the management games thread:

Log082 posted:

I've been meaning to make a post on my current W&R game, so I guess this is a good time. I'm playing a heavily modded game set to start in the 1930s(the normal game starts in the 60s) on a very cramped map with a lot of water, though I have turned off water/sewer service and fires because I find them more annoying then fun.

The first developed town in my region, Valoka is a mix of modern (for the 1930s) brick flats and older village housing blocks. In the distance, the rail line snakes up the valley back to the border with the Soviets. A collective farm and grain elevator harvest wheat grown in the fertile valley soil for export. The roads are a mix of gravel and dirt because I don't have the materials or labor to pave them yet.

The population of Valoka primarily commutes by train to the coal mines and power plant at Nemyman. The top train line serves the station and a siding for loading coal shipments, while the bottom line provides a bypass for future planned industrial traffic. Some of the coal mined in this region is diverted to fire the furnaces of a brick factory, helping to build more modern flats.

Following the rail line around an inlet leads to the main construction works, where gravel, asphalt, concrete, and other materials are prepared and shipped to building sites. The silhouettes of planned but not yet built cement and prefabricated concrete panel plants can be seen, while quarries are visible at top center.

This development is supported by the town of Rovendyma, built on virgin land and planned to a neat and efficient grid, unlike the mess that is Valoka. Plenty of land is left for future growth, which will be necessary, as Rovendyma is planned to supply labor not only for construction but for the entire purpose of the development of this region:

A massive steel mill complex to the north. With its own coal and iron ore mines, as well as large rail yards to ship the finished product across the region, this facility will be able to supply all of the steel necessary for construction and manufacturing in the region as soon as the works are completed and fully staffed.

Not as pretty as Anime Store's maps, but I'm looking forward to developing it over time. I have a lot of mods, including things that would feel kind of cheat-y normally but in a long, long game like this will feel like nice breaks and technological advancements when I finally decide I'm "allowed" to use them. I'm particularly looking forward to the geothermal heating plants, but those are quite a few decades away by my (very rough) mental timeline... Also, I've got a few highrise/skyscraper mods, and those are going to be really cool once I decide I've got enough industrial development to justify building one.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Log082 posted:

Gonna quote a post I just made in the management games thread:

Not as pretty as Anime Store's maps, but I'm looking forward to developing it over time. I have a lot of mods, including things that would feel kind of cheat-y normally but in a long, long game like this will feel like nice breaks and technological advancements when I finally decide I'm "allowed" to use them. I'm particularly looking forward to the geothermal heating plants, but those are quite a few decades away by my (very rough) mental timeline... Also, I've got a few highrise/skyscraper mods, and those are going to be really cool once I decide I've got enough industrial development to justify building one.

That looks great! Don't sell yourself short - I'm already eyeing things in your screenshots that I want to steal. For example, you keep conveyors in nice organized lines. I have found only recently that I started hating certain industrial areas I made because conveyors look bad even if you keep them very "square" but they still wrap around everywhere. I also tend to really, heavily overbuild/overplan my first few cities - I really need to get back to something more basic. The loyalty patch screwed up my head where I plan cities to be fully personal car driveable, but then I end up with weird crappy setups because I have all this car infrastructure that I don't use and have to build. (Funny that it becomes a "cars are bad" simulator!)

I do the same thing re: "technological advancements, it makes for a fun game. I have enough mods of buildings that I can *mostly* build everything early with 'older' looking buildings when I start and then follow along later with the more modern buildings and stuff. I'm going to end up always using water and sewer because I have Brain Urges to always enable everything, but I agree they're not a super interesting addition and can be annoying. Underground is getting crowded!

Most of all though I think I need to get back to The Passages - there just isn't another map that hits the same quality and fun. I've been dabbling with trying a few others, but they don't have interesting, handcrafted "areas" that are distinct. So many maps seem to like to double down on it being a real area, and even scaled, they're often still just flat or with features that are way too 'large' to be interesting. The game has a condensed scale that's reminiscent of a model train set, so it ends up looking terrible when you get 'realistic' scale landforms. You need things to be a bit more extreme and condensed for it to look good, in my opinion. It also really hits well with just the right amount of resources spread in interesting areas. The land features really help guide you, even if sometimes they can be huge challenges.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Most of all though I think I need to get back to The Passages - there just isn't another map that hits the same quality and fun. I've been dabbling with trying a few others, but they don't have interesting, handcrafted "areas" that are distinct. So many maps seem to like to double down on it being a real area, and even scaled, they're often still just flat or with features that are way too 'large' to be interesting. The game has a condensed scale that's reminiscent of a model train set, so it ends up looking terrible when you get 'realistic' scale landforms. You need things to be a bit more extreme and condensed for it to look good, in my opinion. It also really hits well with just the right amount of resources spread in interesting areas. The land features really help guide you, even if sometimes they can be huge challenges.

The only bad thing about the Passages is that I've started it three times now and keep approaching it the same way, haha. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting past the "settling" stage and opening up the various highlands and more isolated capes for development this time, though we'll see if I manage it. It is a really good map, though it feels cramped sometimes.

The overpass and roadside conveyors mods help a lot with keeping things organized. Definitely my top recommendations for any new players.

It doesn't bother me in game, but looking at screenshots I kind of hate how I just stuck monuments everywhere they would fit. Does anyone know more details on how the loyalty boost they give works? I've always wondered if it stacks or if I'm just wasting time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Log082 posted:

The only bad thing about the Passages is that I've started it three times now and keep approaching it the same way, haha. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting past the "settling" stage and opening up the various highlands and more isolated capes for development this time, though we'll see if I manage it. It is a really good map, though it feels cramped sometimes.

The overpass and roadside conveyors mods help a lot with keeping things organized. Definitely my top recommendations for any new players.

It doesn't bother me in game, but looking at screenshots I kind of hate how I just stuck monuments everywhere they would fit. Does anyone know more details on how the loyalty boost they give works? I've always wondered if it stacks or if I'm just wasting time.

I think there is some potential for stacking if they’re smaller loyalty boosts but it definitely caps out pretty quickly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the way it works is that you can only raise loyalty so much by monuments, for maximum loyalty you need I think all of the boosts, and a personal car, radio and TV can keep most people happy though, but because the loyalty of your broadcasters (and educators) translates to their listeners (and students) it is worth giving them all cars.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I figured it was something like that, but the system is never really explained anywhere in detail that I could find other than "Monuments boost loyalty!" Still, that's good, I can get rid of the ones I don't need.

Also, there will never - NEVER - be personal cars in my glorious socialist utopia.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Log082 posted:

I figured it was something like that, but the system is never really explained anywhere in detail that I could find other than "Monuments boost loyalty!" Still, that's good, I can get rid of the ones I don't need.

Also, there will never - NEVER - be personal cars in my glorious socialist utopia.

They create tons of problems, all in the ways it does in real life. Creates hells of traffic and land usage for roads and parking lots and more and more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find having some cars very useful for staffing high importance but low quantity jobs that also want to be some distance away, so things like power/heating, been looking at the new water pumps too, basically stuff where literally having one person show up every now and then is basically the ideal way to staff it? Even a minibus wouldn't work because you'd need several to get regular shifts in and that's taking up docking time at your bus platforms that could be used for more important things.

So yeah, for that personal cars reduce administrative overhead and are also basically the preferred way to staff things, and because you can limit how many of them you make, you can also stop the car problem where everyone uses them all the time.

I think of them less like personal cars and more like fleet vehicles that just happen to also be ridiculous 160km/h sports cars.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I exclusively use black 1950s chevrolets and cadillacs for those high impact special worker transports because its fun. Coincidentally the secret police all drive 3-wheeled messerchmitts or BMW isettas

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a simple way to see how much electricity I'm producing vs using in total? I'm selling my excess electricity for some money but I really have no idea how to tell if I am making enough extra to sell. I did find the Voltage/Wattage overlay and that helps but I don't fully understand what I'm looking at there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that selling power will only sell power you aren't using, so if you hook it up and you show income from power on your export summary, it's working.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

Is there a simple way to see how much electricity I'm producing vs using in total? I'm selling my excess electricity for some money but I really have no idea how to tell if I am making enough extra to sell. I did find the Voltage/Wattage overlay and that helps but I don't fully understand what I'm looking at there.

In short, no. There really needs to be more powerful tools if you really care about balancing your grid fastidiously. The laziest way is crank it up and watch for brownouts or notifications about power loss.

The productivity bar of the power plant is the easiest but has changed recently to be less accurate. If the plant is full of workers and the productivity bar is like, not at all full, you’ve got capacity. This unfortunately does get stickier with the new productivity mechanics where they may not generate 100% of the total capacity of the plant unless they’re loyal and what not.

The way I would do this personally is by splitting my export and local consumption lines. Your standard coal plant can produce 23MW (the number on the right side of the wattmeter in the pop up for the power plant, not the overlay.) use one HV connection of the plant to export, one for local consumption.Click the first switch for local use and it’ll give you a live wattage that you can key off of. If you’re using maybe 5MW, you figure you can export 18. Obviously this fluctuates a lot and you could get some brownouts from spikes, so leave a buffer. (This method of checking the first switch also breaks down just a bit if you have high power consumers very close to the power plant such that they aren’t feeding from that switch upstream. You’ll also have to add in any wattage from any substations you connect to the MV connections of the plant.)

There’s so many inaccuracies and weird communication with the electric system. It doesn’t really need an overhaul but it does need just a quick QOL pass. (COMMUNICATE EVERYTHING IN THE SAME UNITS GOD drat IT I DONT GIVE A poo poo HOW MANY KWH EVERYTHING IS IF I MEASURE EVERYTHING IN INSTANTANEOUS WATTAGE SO I DONT GET BROWNOUTS)

OwlFancier posted:

I think that selling power will only sell power you aren't using, so if you hook it up and you show income from power on your export summary, it's working.

I have never verified this, but I would be really surprised if it worked this way given how weird electricity is in general. Maybe if the export is the furthest “stop” the electron agents need to make? That way if you run low on juice they just can’t flow as much to that last point. But even then, I have no idea how that would be calculated. (Range? Number of switches?)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's fairly easy to test if you just ramp up export to exceed your generation capacity and see if it causes blackouts.

I did have the odd brownout doing that but I think that was because my generation was inconsistent and the export was meaning they didn't have much charge held in the buildings when generation dipped. Certainly it didn't crater my republic as you might expect.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah god drat it's satisfying as hell to gradually ramp up your construction materials supply chain and rely less and less on paying for mats with cash.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

Ah god drat it's satisfying as hell to gradually ramp up your construction materials supply chain and rely less and less on paying for mats with cash.

When you get a save started that you like and this arc starts to hit just right its really the best management/transport game experience, imo.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
What’s you’re average unemployment? I seem to hover between 6-8% and I consider that pretty good in a nation of 8k people. I could go hunt for inefficiencies but I am too caught up in building more cities.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I'm trying to get a handle on how I would approach this game if I didn't read about it constantly and theorycraft because doing that has made the game totally impenetrable and terrifying to me.

If I were starting from scratch here's how I would do things. Stop me if this sounds crazy.

For starters I'd turn off *everything*, power, heating, fuel... all that good stuff.

I'd pick a natural resource, close to a border outpost with good connections. I'd autobuild the required stuff to harvest and ship/consume that resource (for arguments sake lets say it's coal with a power plant and exports for surplus). Then I'd go and click on each building, add up the total workers required and build housing for that many workers. Buses, worker amenities etc. Of course I'd then see that shifts are a thing and have to bump up the population a bit to support the shift patterns.

Once I had this established I'd start looking at expanding things from there. Maybe build my own construction industry, then start some farms etc.

I'm just at the point where I sort of understand the systems around the resource chains and stuff but I'm still struggling with the actual agents. How do I know how many people I need? I guess eventually after enough failed republics I'll begin to intuit it but if I'm approaching this without having any saves that have got beyond "smack down some houses and see what happens" it's still opaque to me.

This game sits alongisde Qud in the "My favourite games of all time that I never play" and I want to fix that!

edit: Adding to this I'll say I've watched a few youtubes of people playing this game but so many of them are "I do this and this and this" without actually getting into the why of things which is what I need to get my teeth into this.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Something like:

Build industry for export income.
Watch industry. Does it appear to be “fully functioning”?
If no, add more people and/or trucks.
If yes, choose another industry (possibly by seeing what you import the most of) and repeat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LeFishy posted:

I'm trying to get a handle on how I would approach this game if I didn't read about it constantly and theorycraft because doing that has made the game totally impenetrable and terrifying to me.

If I were starting from scratch here's how I would do things. Stop me if this sounds crazy.

For starters I'd turn off *everything*, power, heating, fuel... all that good stuff.

I'd pick a natural resource, close to a border outpost with good connections. I'd autobuild the required stuff to harvest and ship/consume that resource (for arguments sake lets say it's coal with a power plant and exports for surplus). Then I'd go and click on each building, add up the total workers required and build housing for that many workers. Buses, worker amenities etc. Of course I'd then see that shifts are a thing and have to bump up the population a bit to support the shift patterns.

Once I had this established I'd start looking at expanding things from there. Maybe build my own construction industry, then start some farms etc.

I'm just at the point where I sort of understand the systems around the resource chains and stuff but I'm still struggling with the actual agents. How do I know how many people I need? I guess eventually after enough failed republics I'll begin to intuit it but if I'm approaching this without having any saves that have got beyond "smack down some houses and see what happens" it's still opaque to me.

This game sits alongisde Qud in the "My favourite games of all time that I never play" and I want to fix that!

edit: Adding to this I'll say I've watched a few youtubes of people playing this game but so many of them are "I do this and this and this" without actually getting into the why of things which is what I need to get my teeth into this.

Honestly, the biggest problem I think right now with the game is that you do basically need to build all the systems from day one, and there is no way I know of, or that is communicated, of phasing them in over time. You can't even turn them on after the save is started which I think is silly.

Because yes there really should be a way of starting off small and adding all those big buildings and services in as you expand, because the game is most fun that way and also most approachable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s definitely my style and doesn’t work for everyone but j learned the game through brute force trial and error and 100000 failed starts and “test” maps where I built up just enough “stuff” to test out some mechanic and understand how it worked well enough to implement it.

The game is so sandbox-y that YouTube’s and guides can give you a high level “here’s what to aim for” but only you and the way you design your infrastructure will be able to figure out whether you want to check wait until unloaded for that line. (For example, I mean - there are tons of small details like that that will be very dependent on how you build.)