Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If you're gonna play Blue-Eyes in Links don't miss the most recent structure deck it got, getting it three times gives you most of the current deck even if it takes money the latter two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
This is probably my best played game of Yugioh ever and it comes at the expense of Drytron, so it's doubly satisfying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI5RIoRZecY

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

looks like a 2GB update just hit Master Duel, seeing people who're digging through the files saying its new assets, new mission menu UIs, more spell/trap unique animations, etc

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mix. posted:

looks like a 2GB update just hit Master Duel, seeing people who're digging through the files saying its new assets, new mission menu UIs, more spell/trap unique animations, etc

https://twitter.com/MasterDuelSite/status/1522407882301616133

https://twitter.com/MasterDuelSite/status/1522405461651304449

https://twitter.com/MasterDuelSite/status/1522396152087420929

https://twitter.com/MasterDuelSite/status/1522409292850106368

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PUNKs are super rad

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/MasterDuelSite/status/1522416570055675904?s=20&t=8ftOQ2HfQPXh6369gBggdw

https://twitter.com/MasterDuelSite/status/1522414561583849473?s=20&t=8ftOQ2HfQPXh6369gBggdw

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The question now is whether I'm dusting my royal Infinite Impermanence since I already have 3 copies

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, cool, my miserly insistence on just using the Effect Veiler I already have instead of crafting Imperms is paying off. Kind of.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The HERO deck board looks so loving sick

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

i'm so glad ultra athletes are getting a solo mode lmao

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kirbysuperstar posted:

i'm so glad ultra athletes are getting a solo mode lmao

I am a UA/FA apologist. I love to pass the ball Kirby, I LOVE TO PASS THE BALL

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/masterduelsite/status/1522427499254267907?s=21
https://twitter.com/masterduelsite/status/1522424996852867072?s=21

Finally some good sleeves

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/MasterDuelSite/status/1522431179198287874?s=20&t=KvCIawsQXgaNEGi48K6g4Q

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Boo, it should've been Tinkhec.

(I'll still buy it tho)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I am a UA/FA apologist. I love to pass the ball Kirby, I LOVE TO PASS THE BALL

HUP HUP HUP HUP HUP

FA rules too, I love Formula 1

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

PUNKs being added makes me VERY tempted to hop into the game, but it's gonna rely heavily on what all cards they add in. I think, at minimum, they need Dia Note... which would be awfully hard since Dia isn't even in the TCG yet...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Depending on whats in this deck, i may or may not be really salty about all them gems I blew on the Cyber Dragon secret pack

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Both the Cyberdark SD and the Swordsoul/DPE pack are set to hit on May 9th.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So my Mayakashi mill deck has an Eldlich in it largely for an easy special summon and occasional use of Eldlixir, but I've learned that it's also a hilarious psychological tool against people. Because it doesn't matter what else you're demonstrably doing with your board, if there's an Eldlich sitting there then that's the thing people are terrified of.

I just had a match where someone genuinely did wreck my entire game plan with a board wipe that took out my Bone Tower and all my Mayakashis... but who then forfeited because the one thing left standing was Eldlich, and apparently a 2500 beater was just a terrifying and insurmountible foe.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
So Yu-Gi-Oh has become a thing at my son's school. They don't play the game, as far as I know - like with Pokemon cards, it's largely collect and trade. It's his birthday coming up so I'd like to get him some cards, but I know bugger all about them. Given the above, what would be a nice starter collection to get him? Ideally something presented quite nicely with decent content to get him going, but I guess not one that is meant to be a self-contained set for playing (like for example this appears to be), and which lends itself to him using the contents for trading. If that's impossible, a nicely presented box is less important than the basic requirement of giving him a little launchpad to use them for trading. I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference to anything.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

So Yu-Gi-Oh has become a thing at my son's school. They don't play the game, as far as I know - like with Pokemon cards, it's largely collect and trade. It's his birthday coming up so I'd like to get him some cards, but I know bugger all about them. Given the above, what would be a nice starter collection to get him? Ideally something presented quite nicely with decent content to get him going, but I guess not one that is meant to be a self-contained set for playing (like for example this appears to be), and which lends itself to him using the contents for trading. If that's impossible, a nicely presented box is less important than the basic requirement of giving him a little launchpad to use them for trading. I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference to anything.
The cards aren't as current as they used to be, but 'big box of good single cards for deck-building and trading' is almost the exact intended niche of the Duel Devastator box. It's unfortunately been out of print for a couple years, so you'd probably be paying out the nose for it unless you find a crazy good deal somewhere. Failing that, the yearly tins that come in golden boxes (2021's Tin of Ancient Battles is your best bet) are also decent options, they include a few 'mega-packs' and a nice metal box to hold his cards in.

You could also get him a binder to hold his cards in. (The specific term you're looking for here is either 'trade binder' or 'duelist portfolio'.) As well as some clear sleeves to keep his best/favorite cards from getting scratched up. Something to watch out for is that Yugioh cards are a different size from Pokemon/Magic/Baseball Cards, so while Yugioh cards WILL fit in those, they won't look as nice or fit as snugly as they would in something meant for the purpose.

Edit: Now, if you DO decide you want to get something he could play with or, better yet, you could play with him, what you're looking for is the Speed Duels pack. They're made for a version of the game with simplified rules specifically to provide an entry point for new (and returning) players, and come with multiple prebuilt half-sized decks.

TL;DR: The most realistic answer that fits what you asked for is a metal box with a few fatpacks, the 2021 Tin of Ancient Battles. The rest of the post is just about additional or alternative options.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 6, 2022

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

girl dick energy posted:

The cards aren't as current as they used to be, but 'big box of good single cards for deck-building and trading' is almost the exact intended niche of the Duel Devastator box. It's unfortunately been out of print for a couple years, so you'd probably be paying out the nose for it unless you find a crazy good deal somewhere. Failing that, the yearly tins that come in golden boxes (2021's Tin of Ancient Battles is your best bet) are also decent options, they include a few 'mega-packs' and a nice metal box to hold his cards in.

You could also get him a binder to hold his cards in. (The specific term you're looking for here is either 'trade binder' or 'duelist portfolio'.) As well as some clear sleeves to keep his best/favorite cards from getting scratched up. Something to watch out for is that Yugioh cards are a different size from Pokemon/Magic/Baseball Cards, so while Yugioh cards WILL fit in those, they won't look as nice or fit as snugly as they would in something meant for the purpose.

Edit: Now, if you DO decide you want to get something he could play with or, better yet, you could play with him, what you're looking for is the Speed Duels pack. They're made for a version of the game with simplified rules specifically to provide an entry point for new (and returning) players, and come with multiple prebuilt half-sized decks.

TL;DR: The most realistic answer that fits what you asked for is a metal box with a few fatpacks, the 2021 Tin of Ancient Battles. The rest of the post is just about additional or alternative options.

Great answer, thanks. Looked them up on Amazon and the English language version of the Tin of Ancient Battles is only £2 cheaper than the Duel Devastator box, assuming these are the correct items?

Duel Devastator
Tin of Ancient Battles

Assuming so, would I be better off with the Duel Devastator box, then? Also, has the format changed at all, i.e. would the cards in both boxes be the same style and presentation as the ones his friends are likely to have? Not certain what you meant by "The cards aren't as current as they used to be".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Assuming so, would I be better off with the Duel Devastator box, then? Also, has the format changed at all, i.e. would the cards in both boxes be the same style and presentation as the ones his friends are likely to have? Not certain what you meant by "The cards aren't as current as they used to be".

What they mean is that when those things came out, they were pretty much meta staples; if you were playing the game, you wanted basically all those cards. These days that's not quite as true, but they're all still really good.

And yeah, the cards are the same style and presentation. Hell, the game's retained the same style and presentation since it was released internationally twenty years ago, which is actually pretty cool.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Duel devestator is a good selection of staple cards, but it's not a really great starting point, rather it's a good supplement to building a constructed deck.

I'd say buying structure decks is probably the best way to get a new kid into the game, as they'll have a playable deck starting out and a rules book that explains all the complex rules of the game

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I am genuinely curious how the gently caress kids navigate the game as it exists today so do report back how it goes.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Julias posted:

Duel devestator is a good selection of staple cards, but it's not a really great starting point, rather it's a good supplement to building a constructed deck.

I'd say buying structure decks is probably the best way to get a new kid into the game, as they'll have a playable deck starting out and a rules book that explains all the complex rules of the game

Well now I don't know what to think! Would you recommend the 2021 Tin of Ancient Battles over it then for my purposes?

Just to be clear, looking at your second paragraph, I don't think he intends to get into the game, just trading. Which is maybe a little incongruous, as we're big board gamers in our family, but the setting is not really my jam and I guess his friends aren't as into gaming as he is.

Who knows, it could change in the future, but it hasn't so far with Pokemon. So really, I just want a nice starter set to give him a springboard for his playground trading exploits. Bonus if it's presented nicely and will look good when unwrapped.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Well now I don't know what to think! Would you recommend the 2021 Tin of Ancient Battles over it then for my purposes?

Just to be clear, looking at your second paragraph, I don't think he intends to get into the game, just trading. Which is maybe a little incongruous, as we're big board gamers in our family, but the setting is not really my jam and I guess his friends aren't as into gaming as he is.

Who knows, it could change in the future, but it hasn't so far with Pokemon. So really, I just want a nice starter set to give him a springboard for his playground trading exploits. Bonus if it's presented nicely and will look good when unwrapped.

If the kid is just going to trade cards, the tin is probably your best bet. I'm not sure his friends at school would be very interested in individual cards from a non-randomized pack.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
They might also prefer card with cool/cute pic over actual utility.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

If the kid is just going to trade cards, the tin is probably your best bet. I'm not sure his friends at school would be very interested in individual cards from a non-randomized pack.
Yeah, most of the cards in a starter deck tend to follow the same theme, while a tin has a wider variety of possible cards and aesthetics.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah if it's just for trading/sharing cool pictures and not for playing, then the tins are good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Tins are a huge variety of cards which I imagine kids who mostly care about collecting cool ones will value over decks where you get a lot of multiples and they're almost inevitably going to be very similar.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zore posted:

Yeah, Tins are a huge variety of cards which I imagine kids who mostly care about collecting cool ones will value over decks where you get a lot of multiples and they're almost inevitably going to be very similar.

Plus, y'know, they could beg their parents to buy them the structure deck and get the exact same cards. At least with the tins the sheer pull variety will keep the trades interesting for them.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
2021 Tin of Ancient Battles it is! Thank you for the helpful advice, Yu-Gi-Oh thread. I may not be hip enough to know about this new interest of his, but hopefully I have now settled on a cool and desirable present, with your kind aid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Always nice to see a parent actually taking an interest in what their child likes. :shobon:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I have a weird "best episodes" DVD of YGO somewhere that my mum threw at me as part of a Christmas hamper when I was like 25

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

girl dick energy posted:

Always nice to see a parent actually taking an interest in what their child likes. :shobon:

I do try, but apparently, all I needed to do was check his Amazon wishlist (he has one on my wife's account). We were planning presents for him this evening and we went and had a look at what he had added. Near the top: SA Yu-Gi-Oh thread-recommended 2021 Tin of Ancient Battles. x3. I don't know if the cards vary or not between each example, but we ordered just one for now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I have a weird "best episodes" DVD of YGO somewhere that my mum threw at me as part of a Christmas hamper when I was like 25

Ive never heard of a christmas hamper and can only assume this means your british, as they have all kinds of hosed up words for things

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ive never heard of a christmas hamper and can only assume this means your british, as they have all kinds of hosed up words for things

worse, australian

I meant Christmas stocking, I dunno why I typed hamper lmao

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:sickos: yesssss flower cardian got a new summon animation in the patch, one step closer to a mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I have a Fluffals deck for the fusion festival, and am thinking of some kind of Despia for my alt account. MD is my first Yugioh experience but from some googling it seems Despia Swordsoul might be a thing?