Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
One of the few cases of relicing a guitar that is kinda cool

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdEDPJSJxBX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lol wiener cello

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spanish Manlove posted:

One of the few cases of relicing a guitar that is kinda cool

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdEDPJSJxBX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I was scrolling through wardrobechat, clicked royaura.com, and this is certainly a Roy aura.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Looks like someone made an aeolian harp out of Charlie Harper

An aeolian Harper

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Lol wiener cello
This triggered a memory.

When I was working at a liquor store once a middle aged couple came in asking for advice.

"We're looking to get a friend a congradulations present but know nothing about alcohol."

"OK, well maybe I can help, who are you buying it for?"

"A man who plays the cello."

There was a bit of silence as I tried to understand why they would lead with that and what to ask next, and after a beat the guy says, " you know, the cello!" and started miming playing a cello.

"Yes, I know what a cello is. Do you know what he drinks?"

"No, but I was thinking spirits in the $15 range."

I told them to rethink the gift.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'd get him vodka.

Then he can make cello shots.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

There was a correct answer, and it was this:

as an ex-budtender though, I think you handled that admirably

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

I was scrolling through wardrobechat, clicked royaura.com, and this is certainly a Roy aura.

I got their beach yoga pants and ripped black jeans. They actually both look and feel fine. The shirts, on the other hand... one showed up and is like a child's small and it's see-through (not as pictured) and the other... I dunno because the other shirt just hasn't ever arrived! I'm yer Roy, I guess. Live and learn. So much of this music poo poo is so very stupid.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lmfao that he doesn't even get a guitar rack for his epiphones. Just imagining Matt Bellamy screaming "no Gibson's for you, you worthless piece of trash! Put your goddamn budget guitars on the ground where they belong and crawl in your hole, loser"

E: they aren't Epiphones after all, just a Crestwood style body. I still choose to believe the above is accurate and Bellamy doesn't know either.

Lmao

I had no idea the secret hidden extra guitarist thing was so common lol. So wierd not to just put them on stage!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

field balm posted:

Lmao

I had no idea the secret hidden extra guitarist thing was so common lol. So wierd not to just put them on stage!

It's the reverse Iron Maiden problem. It just makes sense to have a solo be on top of a rhythm guitar, but when you only have one guitarist in the band, you gotta compensate live.

Also: stupid music shirt

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Also: stupid music shirt

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I wanna get a keytar tie. I don't even wear ties.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Skunk Baxter is releasing his first solo-album. Michael McDonald is on it, and there's a Steely Dan-cover.

I like me some yacht-rock so I can't roast it too much. But it's like peak boomerism.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

but is there a song about missile defense systems on it

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

The album's called "Speed of Heat" so probably?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey everybody this is it. First live gig in over twenty years. 6pm - 9pm tonight, outdoors, weather looking good, load-in about 16:00. And I am eaten up with anxiety. Worse than before, but I know it will go away when we hit the downbeat on the first song. That's just how I work I guess.

Are we ready for the gig? Not really, but I gotta say we're damned close for a band with only three full and one partial rehearsal (minus one singer) to get ready. Also, I judge myself and the singer and the drummer as "most prepared" for today. I put over 500 views on a YouTube songlist of our sets preparing.

I get to kick it off with Nothing But A Good Time. Yeah sure I wanna play those two super fast four string legato runs in my very first song of the night, why not?

After the show, for the trip report, I'll share the setlist so you can all laugh at how incredibly stupid music poo poo I am.

VV Thanks! VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 7, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Don't forget bug spray.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
We 86'd Cake By The Ocean due to starting an hour late, but we did play the rest of this stuff (we also played 45 minutes late and folks stayed until we wrapped). I enjoy some of this material, and tolerate the rest.

Luckily the mosquitoes were not out tonight, no issues there.

I gotta hand it to the band leader on this one. This dog's breakfast of multi-genre tunes just all went over really well. It helps that the lead singer is phenomenal.

As promised:
code:
SET ONE_______________________________________________________________
Nothing But A Good Time				Poison
I Remember You					Skid Row
Any Way You Want It				Journey
Feels Like The First Time			Foreigner
Kiss Me Deadly					Lita Ford		
She’s Got The Look				The Roxxettes
Good 4 U					Olivia Rodrigo
Cake By The Ocean				Walk The Moon
Goodbye 2 U					Lita Ford
Bad Romance* (Drop D Tuning)			Halestorm

SET TWO_____________________________________________________________________
Here For The Party* (Drop-D Tuning)		Gretchen Wilson
Call Me						Blondie
One Way Or Another				Blondie
Heartbreaker > 					Pat Benetar
> Hit Me With Your Best Shot			Pat Benetar
Don’t Stop Believing				Journey
All I Wanna Do (Is Make Love To You)		Halestorm
Heaven						Warrant
Alone						Heart
Here I Go Again					Whitesnake

SET THREE_____________________________________________________________________
Livin’ On A Prayer				Bon Jovi
Your Love					The Outfield
Picture						Kid kid and Sheryl Crow
Who Knew?					Pink
The Middle* (Drop D Tuning)			Jimmy Eat World
Dancing With Myself (DADGBD tuning)		The Donnas
Lights						Journey
Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around			Tom Petty
You Got Lucky					Tom Petty
You Really Got Me				Van Halen
Gunpowder And Lead				Miranda Lambert

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dr. Faustus posted:

We 86'd Cake By The Ocean due to starting an hour late, but we did play the rest of this stuff (we also played 45 minutes late and folks stayed until we wrapped). I enjoy some of this material, and tolerate the rest.

Luckily the mosquitoes were not out tonight, no issues there.

I gotta hand it to the band leader on this one. This dog's breakfast of multi-genre tunes just all went over really well. It helps that the lead singer is phenomenal.

As promised:
code:
SET ONE_______________________________________________________________
Nothing But A Good Time				Poison
I Remember You					Skid Row
Any Way You Want It				Journey
Feels Like The First Time			Foreigner
Kiss Me Deadly					Lita Ford		
She’s Got The Look				The Roxxettes
Good 4 U					Olivia Rodrigo
Cake By The Ocean				Walk The Moon
Goodbye 2 U					Lita Ford
Bad Romance* (Drop D Tuning)			Halestorm

SET TWO_____________________________________________________________________
Here For The Party* (Drop-D Tuning)		Gretchen Wilson
Call Me						Blondie
One Way Or Another				Blondie
Heartbreaker > 					Pat Benetar
> Hit Me With Your Best Shot			Pat Benetar
Don’t Stop Believing				Journey
All I Wanna Do (Is Make Love To You)		Halestorm
Heaven						Warrant
Alone						Heart
Here I Go Again					Whitesnake

SET THREE_____________________________________________________________________
Livin’ On A Prayer				Bon Jovi
Your Love					The Outfield
Picture						Kid kid and Sheryl Crow
Who Knew?					Pink
The Middle* (Drop D Tuning)			Jimmy Eat World
Dancing With Myself (DADGBD tuning)		The Donnas
Lights						Journey
Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around			Tom Petty
You Got Lucky					Tom Petty
You Really Got Me				Van Halen
Gunpowder And Lead				Miranda Lambert

That’s quite an eclectic set list. :captainpop:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Roxxettes. Haha.

It sounds like it went great! Congrats.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Holy that is a lot of songs to learn. And have only three practices on. If there wasn't a complete breakdown on stage I'd say that's a success. Did you have a music stand and sheet music? I don't think there's any way I would remember half that setlist. Nice work!

Was it filmed?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The Look is one of the most awesome songs on the setlist and I will fight anyone who dares say otherwise (not that anyone has... it killed last night).

Thanks!

Yeah, it was a herculean task for me and I barely made it. I feel like a new person today. I set a crazy goal and I pulled it off, and so did most of the rest of the band. I also weighed in at 168.0 today so I am gonna cheat like hell and eat wtf ever. Like, ribs, mac & cheese, and ice cream with Butterfinger to top off the day. I wanna spend all day in bed watchin Ozarks with the lady of the house.

There were supposedly two cameras at the gig but I don't know if they got set up due to the subwoofer issue that made us an hour late starting.

Red_Fred posted:

That’s quite an eclectic set list. :captainpop:
No kidding! But the lead singer sells all of it so well. The band only plays songs that were hits, so every song got some part of the crowd going. I was surprised how well that worked! And I loved playing Whitesnake and Van Halen.

I had to go alone so I had no one to take pics for me. I am currently soliciting photos from my bandmates. Here's my setup for the night. JEM for the show, RG471AH for drop-D tunes. Not trying to be a snob or a jerk or anything but I really want to say: The Fractal loving slays. I had a different preset for every song. A dozen amp models (two per patch, usually) and every effect you can name. I had strangers walking up asking me about my little rig, they were all agog, except the guitarists, who were also agog. :)

More shows are booked. Waiting to see how everyone feels, we do have problems that need to be addressed. For now, my friend the keyboardist and I are in for the ride until we decide we're not.

Thank you everyone for letting me :justpost: about it.

Oh, the question about notes: All I had was the setlist, and the Fractal now has a setlist feature so I loaded all the presets from the show into it on Thursday and just tapped from one song to the next all night. Super easy! I could have used some kind of markers since the band had trouble gelling but I just relied on the old "No, we really meant to do that" way of dealing with on-stage song detours.

gently caress carrying amps around. Took this between sets one and two and my hands were still shaking.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 8, 2022

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Did you use the headrush as your personal monitor with another output straight into the PA?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I notice you're carefully avoiding mentioning the bassist...

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

The Look is one of the most awesome songs on the setlist and I will fight anyone who dares say otherwise (not that anyone has... it killed last night).

I love the song

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I hate The Look but only because our label forced us to release a cover as a single despite none of us really having anything to do with it. There's a secondary debate about whether they knew Marie was ill and were hoping the release schedule lined up with her passing in order to piggyback on that press wave, as they have form for that. The music industry is full of scum.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

I hate The Look but only because our label forced us to release a cover as a single despite none of us really having anything to do with it. There's a secondary debate about whether they knew Marie was ill and were hoping the release schedule lined up with her passing in order to piggyback on that press wave, as they have form for that. The music industry is full of scum.
Dude that is really disgusting and I understand completely.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I love the song
I thought so, which I why I added the language "not that anyone has." I wanted you to know I saw you weren't casting stones. Thanks for the clarification though, we both know the song rocks and it's SO fun to play. I wish I had an electric 12 to play on it!

stratdax posted:

I notice you're carefully avoiding mentioning the bassist...
You are extremely perceptive. *squints* Maybe too perceptive. Let's just say that their gig will be have to be addressed by the band as a whole. There were some serious red flags that I will not drop casually. I quietly voiced a very low-key hint that I was worried to their spouse after the show and let's just say they reacted wearily but not with any hostility. I asked "Hey... are they ok?" and the first response wasn't "What do you mean" or "mind your business." It was a very tired and resigned-sounding "I don't know..." so I'm sure that started a conversation at their home, probably yesterday morning. If Fausty noticed, how many other band members noticed? (Everyone did, not just the band members).

I hope to not have to mention it again, but if I thought that was likely then I'd be the naive Stupid Music poo poo. I've seen too much by now to ignore certain warning signs. I'm still dry after 16 months and I just spent a day at a Brewery with top shelf liquors and free drinks and meals for the band. I only went inside to use the restroom once. I avoided temptation and did the whole day on just 50mg of Librium in the morning to settle my nerves and help me not think about booze. I am very serious about my recovery.

If you've ever struggled to put a good band together you can say this with me: It's like winning the lottery. It is rare. There is mostly disappointment along the way. I've had my taste of performing again and if this isn't the project for me, I will pursue other avenues. I received more offers than just this one.

Noise Machine posted:

Did you use the headrush as your personal monitor with another output straight into the PA?
Exactly. I have two of those but just the one was plenty. It was connected to output one on the Fractal with its own output knob. Another XLR came out of output two straight to FOH. For reference I had the HR output set to 75% but the Fractal outbout way down around 2-3 before I started getting too loud for the stage area. Just that one little 19lb. box was more than I needed, by a lot. I am amazed. Did I mention, "gently caress carrying big amps around?" Because seriously, that poo poo is over for me.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Ah that's too bad, you hate to see somebody spiral and there's nothing you can do. Glad you're doing well though Faustus, that's awesome!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Polyphia has a new song. Got trending pretty high. I'm not really into this instrumental-trap style but still, pretty cool that they're doing their own thing and pushing guitars into different (hypercompressed, clean) directions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5NoQg8LdDk

stratdax fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 14, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
wrong thread but good track

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
I’m the stupid music poo poo this weekend.

I haven’t done setups on my guitars in like 8 years, and moved from the northeast to Florida a year and a half ago. I was playing yesterday and was like, hmm, I should probably set these up, action is worse than I remember.

So I check neck bow on one, and holy lol, it’s got quite a bit. Adjust, move to the next, same thing. 8 guitars later, I realize I should’ve done this the moment I moved to a high humidity location.

After initial setups on them, holy gently caress lol. It’s like playing on brand new guitars. I have my 8 strings down to ~1.5mm action on the 8th with no buzzing, about 1mm on high E, which is far better than the ~2.5/1.5 I had before.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have some stupid music poo poo that will really resonate with some of you.

I believe I mentioned there were some red flags from the gig last Saturday. OK so maybe the bassist became glassy-eyed and lost his place for the whole third set. Maybe I didn't want to call him out because... of course... this is his band. He's the guy with the connections, the free time to run a business, and the money to make it all happen.

Turns out I never really sold him on my job. He doubted me and behind my back he tried to replace me but that fell through. He would ride me about stupid bullshit that he knew nothing about, and you couldn't talk back because A) HIS BAND and B) dude spoke not a word of music. His learning process was "Monkey-see, monkey-do." For a bassist that could be enough, right? For this kind of music? Absolutely. You saw the setlists. But he had meltdowns over not being able to play poo poo and every time he failed to blame the actual culprit: Himself. It was a see-saw with him telling me how good I am one minute and how I am just not cutting the mustard the next. I put up with it. I've been through worse.

So what happened at the gig? Well he spent the whole night butting heads with the drummer, who was also our sound guy, who unfortunately was also incompetent. Great guy, great drummer, totally unprepared to run live sound. We went on an hour late without monitors or subs, remember? I gritted my teeth and rode it out. I am happy with what I played. I know what I put into making my part of that gig happen. We survived the show and I made my money. I learned that I really can pull something like that off. I was happy. But I could see the writing on the wall already.

This morning I woke up to an e-mail from my buddy the keyboardist in the band. "The drummer quit. I will stay in this band with you if you want me to, but not until we find out what happened to the bassist at the gig." I said thanks and reached out to the leader to find out what he had to say.

He tried to gaslight me. Summed up the gig thus: "Crowd review said the PA was bad, the band was good, and when it was time for the guitarist to step up, he failed. So we will have to start recording rehearsals and see what's what." There was no crowd review. It was just naked manipulation.

I asked him if any "crowd review" made mention of the bassist being so hosed up he missed the entire last set? He said no, but it was a "valid point." And I resigned. There was no way I could keep my buddy in this band under this dumbass, and I'm not sticking around this degenerate just to be stabbed in the back again. As of this moment his band is now just him and the lead singer, who is so good she doesn't need him at all and will be just fine as soon as she figures that out. Meanwhile, my buddy and I can pursue music together and I will start calling back the gigs I turned down while I was focusing on this one.

I am disappointed, but it's not my first time on this merry-go-round. I gave him every chance I could, but his connections are not worth my dignity.

poo poo I left out the best part: The bassist/band leader, a 53 year old veteran, fell through the surface of the Earth during Set Three because he ate a bar of Xanax after set two and it hit him too hard, too fast.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 16, 2022

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Super annoying bullshit but I think there's an upside here:

The keyboardist is good and likes you and your playing enough they're willing to put up with that poo poo for you but not otherwise.

There is a good drummer now looking for a gig. Sound should not have been their responsibility in the first place. The drummer is the last person who should have that job. They've already got the most gear to bring, the longest set up time, the most physically demanding job, and tbh likely have the worst hearing. Build a sound person into your fee.

There's a great singer who now for all intents and purposes doesn't have a band.

Basically my good doctor, jack this guy's whole act, find a competent bassist, and have a great time and make some money playing music.

As far as contacts etc goes...I don't mean this in a disrespectful way (and I'm not in your area so YMMV), but it seems unlikely for a covers band to actually need hook ups or whatever. Play at local sports bars etc that have covers bands, advertise yourselves for weddings and functions.

If you really really want to stand out pick a gimmick and lean into it with costume, band name, set list.

The one screamin' out from your general vibe is hair metal / glam rock imho.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Kingo Ligma posted:

If you really really want to stand out pick a gimmick and lean into it with costume, band name, set list.

Too bad there is already a band dressing up as Transformers. Find an obscure 80s cartoon and roll with it. Maybe Sectaurs. Ride onto stage on giant bugs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kingo Ligma posted:

Basically my good doctor, jack this guy's whole act, find a competent bassist, and have a great time and make some money playing music.

I mean it definitely sounded like that was the general direction things were headed, might as well give this a satisfying resolution!

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzG-qji05Lc

I kind of like it musically, but those dance moves

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Hah that’s stupid enough to swing back to awesome for me

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Yep that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus