Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
if they want to do an episode on a cia front money place they should do one on deak-perera, who laundered latin american drug money, got money to agents over the world, provided bribes. when the drug running poo poo blew up the company got dropped by the spooks, went bankrupt and the founder was murdered a year later by some "random mentally unstable woman"

can't remember the article i read about it, was quite good

e: https://www.salon.com/2012/12/02/better_than_bourne_who_really_killed_nick_deak/

it makes a sketchy case that the woman was mkultraed or something similar.

Quotey has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Quotey posted:

if they want to do an episode on a cia front money place they should do one on deak-perera, who laundered latin american drug money, got money to agents over the world, provided bribes. when the drug running poo poo blew up the company got dropped by the spooks, went bankrupt and the founder was murdered a year later by some "random mentally unstable woman"

can't remember the article i read about it, was quite good

women with bpd ftw

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

It's one thing to not accept the main narrative, but another when you make connections or reference things and just sort of go "weird, huh? Makes u think"

The best example is probably parts of the 9/11 episodes. 9/11 being at least partially planned is, at the very least, highly plausible. But then he also started talking about the buildings collapsing being caused by demolitions, and while this is actually also at least somewhat plausible, the points he made were just kinda wrong and obviously didn't understand the explanation for how the jets could have caused their collapse. The explanation for the jets causing the collapses of the main towers and building 7 certainly isn't airtight; it basically just establishes that it's technically possible for the jets to have caused the collapses (particularly in the case of building 7). But that's a situation where you basically have two conflicting explanations that are both very unlikely (since secretly doing demolitions is also pretty far-fetched). Ben was instead presenting it like "the official explanation just doesn't make sense! It's common sense!" and I kept waiting for him to address the full defense of how the jets caused the collapses and he just never did.

well okay yeah I forgot about that part, that was dumb as hell. jet fuel can in fact weak steel beams until they collapse and all of the controlled demolition stuff has clearly been 20 years of disinfo and people not understanding how buildings collapse.

the social connections they discuss, on the other hand, seem quite plausible. didn’t some videotape from 2001 just get released corroborating that saudi intelligence was hanging out with the hijackers before 9/11? so it’s a bit of a mixed bag. no, it wasn’t holograms or nano thermite or whatever stupid bullshit, but saying intelligence agencies were involved is publicly substantiated to some degree.

idk same deal with JFK. when they get into bizarre alternative theories of how it went down, I think they get off track. but when they talk about oswald was clearly an intel asset, or how ruby was mobbed up as gently caress, and he conveniently went nuts after a jailhouse visit by jolly west? yeah that’s a lot of suspicious circumstantial evidence.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

It's called the post left because I read their posts and then I left 😂

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The opening line of Pretty Dim Wonder episode 2 is really good

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
im a postmodern marxist and i'm tired of 4chan edgelords stealing stupid tendency valor

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

They mix in obviously discredited things like "jet fuel cant melt steel beams" with the truth in order to make you seem like a kook when you explain to people how bush did 9/11

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

well okay yeah I forgot about that part, that was dumb as hell. jet fuel can in fact weak steel beams until they collapse and all of the controlled demolition stuff has clearly been 20 years of disinfo and people not understanding how buildings collapse.

the social connections they discuss, on the other hand, seem quite plausible. didn’t some videotape from 2001 just get released corroborating that saudi intelligence was hanging out with the hijackers before 9/11? so it’s a bit of a mixed bag. no, it wasn’t holograms or nano thermite or whatever stupid bullshit, but saying intelligence agencies were involved is publicly substantiated to some degree.

idk same deal with JFK. when they get into bizarre alternative theories of how it went down, I think they get off track. but when they talk about oswald was clearly an intel asset, or how ruby was mobbed up as gently caress, and he conveniently went nuts after a jailhouse visit by jolly west? yeah that’s a lot of suspicious circumstantial evidence.

The "official narrative" with JFK is obviously completely bullshit, and I also think the relationships highlighted with regard to 9/11 are relevant (if you held a gun to my head and forced me to guess, I'd say that 9/11 was probably deliberately planned - or at least encouraged - by the US).

With the Boston marathon bombing, though...some stuff seemed really tenuous.

IMO Ben wouldn't be bad as "a guy who knows a huge amount of minutae about these events and can reference it on demand," but Brace/Liz would need to rein him in (which they don't seem inclined to do).

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Wizard Master posted:

yeah whoever originally made this joke captured the essence perfectly

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Wizard Master posted:

💯

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1521191446396743681?s=20&t=zJ41WOBxStYeo-C58L4XhA

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I was just flirting with the idea of restarting age of napolean from the very beginning. I've only listened all the way through once and it's been a few years. I've never listened to any pod like it that nails every aspect so well. Extremely consequential historic subject matter without being overdone like WW2, such good research with some original stuff, consistently engaging pacing and cadence, the rare insightful guest that's always great, and the loving legendary diligence of the historical materialism despite literally covering *the* great man of history in a biographical fashion all while not trivializing him as a person. Ok yeah I'm doing it, ep 1 tomorrow.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Guess I should give it a shot then.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

also probably the best way to learn about all the dumb poo poo napoleon got up to in corsica which really puts his career in perspective

nobody likes to talk about the time he was a firebrand revolutionary who got his rear end kicked all the time

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

napoleon was def a grindset guy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
hegel said that napoleon was history on horseback, but i'm not being successful so far convincing my local org to let me review them like napoleon although i don't have a horse but perhaps a bicycle or mobility scooter will work as a substitute

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Bag of Milk posted:

I was just flirting with the idea of restarting age of napolean from the very beginning. I've only listened all the way through once and it's been a few years. I've never listened to any pod like it that nails every aspect so well. Extremely consequential historic subject matter without being overdone like WW2, such good research with some original stuff, consistently engaging pacing and cadence, the rare insightful guest that's always great, and the loving legendary diligence of the historical materialism despite literally covering *the* great man of history in a biographical fashion all while not trivializing him as a person. Ok yeah I'm doing it, ep 1 tomorrow.
i hung out with the dude who does that podcast a few times and babysat his cats once because he lives in my town but i lost touch. extremely smart and a very funny, gregarious sort of guy. this is me trying to absorb some of his fame to make myself cool too

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

A Bag of Milk posted:

I just binged it from the start and it zipped by, great podcast. Interesting to compare to Revolutions as well, though the biggest overlap is Haiti which as people said before is Mike Duncan at his most leftist since the main history was written by a marxist

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

spotted cow ftw

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Age of Napoleon is fantastic. I've been going through it pretty slowly and restart it if I haven't listened to an episode for several months. I'm like a third of the way through, but it's the perfect combo of short-but-informative episodes that don't overwhelm you or bore you.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

how it started:

https://twitter.com/thesaladshooter/status/1521294535556571137

how it's going:

https://twitter.com/thesaladshooter/status/1521296833804476420

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol the 1st tweet said "You did this" with pics of bernie, susan sarandon, jill stein, and walter bragman

the 2nd tweet was about a dozen tweets later in the thread and also said "You did this" with pics of matt, will, felix, and virgil

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol the 1st tweet said "You did this" with pics of bernie, susan sarandon, jill stein, and walter bragman

the 2nd tweet was about a dozen tweets later in the thread and also said "You did this" with pics of matt, will, felix, and virgil

It was a glorious bit. Incredible start to May. It's worth hunting for screenshots and if you search "YOU DID THIS" twitter is filling all the squares with pics on their phone.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i hung out with the dude who does that podcast a few times and babysat his cats once because he lives in my town but i lost touch. extremely smart and a very funny, gregarious sort of guy. this is me trying to absorb some of his fame to make myself cool too

what are his cats like

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

man, I thought I had politics brain, but holy poo poo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Seeing Virgil next to the Chappo Boys instead of next to BGJ was like counting the rings on a log to determine it's age and any traumatic years.

Dude went 18 tweets in with this in the middle:

https://twitter.com/fingerle55/status/1521504044157906944

https://twitter.com/Blarfk/status/1521499492176076800

https://twitter.com/Noalarmplanet/status/1521499555199700992

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

last set should just be four of the same pictures of Virgil

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/BobDobling/status/1521511258981289984

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

everyone i dont like who has zero power or influence did this

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Currently writing an op Ed for the new York times that QCS posters did this

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

You did this.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
why would they let him have green hair in prison

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why would they let him have green hair in prison

Acid vat origin joker is just permanently bleached skin and green haired

How that works? Comics logic

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
damnn, jared leto joker's tattoos are freakin twisted as hell

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
YEAH I FOUND IT

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1521294535556571137.html

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Bill Clinton gets:

quote:

Quite frankly, you kinda did this too. Yeah, you appointed Breyer and RBG and did a lot of good. But all you had to do was KEEP YOUR DICK IN YOUR PANTS. All the animus that should have gone to you went to Hillary. She *made* you. And you did her dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005