Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

Follow-up: can I use any 2.4ghz antenna for ELRS such as old xm+ antennas.
I'm a little late and I am sure you figured it out by now, but yes any 2.4GHz antenna is fine if it fits on the connector. I have used an old wifi router antenna on one of my TX for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I've always wondered about this. Are cops or whoever able to track drones and link it to someone? Do they have to physically follow it back to the person controlling it?
Think real hard about why you're asking.

Most hobby drone parts aren't serialized (but the specific combo might as well be), most ready to fly solutions are.

nomad2020 posted:

Maybe subpoena DJI or whoever for flight records.
If DJI doesn't have a LE portal I'd be shocked.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

evil_bunnY posted:

Think real hard about why you're asking.

Most hobby drone parts aren't serialized (but the specific combo might as well be), most ready to fly solutions are.

About why I'm asking? I dont get it. But yea I wanted to build my own drone a while ago and looked into it and saw that I'd either have to program my own flight board or use a dji one (this was a while ago I might be wrong about the terms). Apparently some people were having issues with their drones flying away lol. I've been so hooked ever since I used a strangers drone and fat shark at a park it fuckin blew my mind so hard I was actually flying. The initial question was just based off confusion seeing all the drones flying around firework shows. I'd also be shocked about LE not being involved in some capacity

As far as being able to track it some other way, I asked that because I was messing around in flight aware or some other flight visualization website and I saw someone's drone on there which was odd, I hadn't seen that before.

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 17, 2022

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

You can just buy an off the shelf flight controller.

No programming, just configuration.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

evil_bunnY posted:

if they did none of the LE that my old company talked with knew about it. Instead DJI sells a radio sniffer that decodes their own control signal to expose the GPS coordinates of the drone in-flight. https://www.dji.com/aeroscope

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Yea that was more along the lines of the bullshit I was curious existed, loving terrible

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hello dead thread

I'm interested in a <250g drone that has waypoint ability.

Only thing I've found so far is the Hubsan Zino Mini Pro which seems to tick the boxes.. BUT has some weird things. Like no SD card and some reviews which aren't exactly gushing over it.

The Autel Evo Nano+ seems great, but there is no waypoint functionality which is a breaker for me, that's a feature I want.

It looks like the Mini 2 might be a thing as the SDK release now allows for 3rd party waypoint ability. Potentially a price drop coming with the imment launch of the Mini 3, but I'm not really a DJI fan after refusing to fix some common issues (I was burned with a black screen issue on my Phantom Pro 2 Vision + which still burns me a bit)

Thoughts?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Unfortunately some countries have regulations against flying Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLOS), which is primarily what you'd probably be using waypoints for. However the regulations (in Canada) specifically don't apply to drones weighing 249g or less, so a loophole technically exists for small waypoint drones.

The Holy Stone HS510 may fit your bill. Their webpage on it specifically mentions "Draw a path
Submit a route you draw on app then the drone will fly along the path you set. The aircraft can shoot stable aerial shots." So it appears to do waypoints. But I can't tell how many axes the gimbal has. If it's only one axis you'll have trouble getting a true 90° downward shot if there's any wind or the drone is moving.

I too am waiting for a drone to come into existence with to fill this specific niche. For sub 250g the regulations do still say that flying BVLOS is not recommended, but not strictly prohibited.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey thanks for the reply. I am indeed in Canada. The range on that holystone doesn't seem great but other than that could have been a contender.

I might be waiting for a price drop on the mini 2 and using some 3rd party software that supports waypoints. Avoidance isn't a big deal for me so I'm not sure if a mini 3 will do much more for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol :cmon:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is pretty good.

Tips m’fedora

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Between the 107 and Forklift certs, people know I am not to be trifled with.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

Between the 107 and Forklift certs, people know I am not to be trifled with.

is there like.. a combo shirt for the 2?

maybe we need an orange vest that says "Part 107 operator at work, I'm allowed to be here, I know the rules" I'm pretty sure I've seen something along that lines

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Couldn’t find a combo shirt, but this one gets the general vibe across.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

That’s a pretty good shirt lol

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Well I just took the plunge and bought a Dart 250 g with HDZero/FatShark and Matek F411 FC so I can use iNav. IRL flight is too expensive/time consuming, so I figured this was a better option.

Not too worried about the build but I'm less confident about actually learning to fly and getting trim right. I have no RC experience besides cheap indoor drones but plenty of MSFS & other flight sim time and some IRL plane/glider stick time. Are FPV flight sims worthwhile for fixed wing? Is it worth going to a model air field and finding someone to help a noob? I'm in the LA area FWIW.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 3, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

You're asking questions already answered by my cool drone guy t-shirt.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nomad2020 posted:

Mine would say 4 minutes :(

guidoanselmi posted:

I'm less confident about actually learning to fly and getting trim right. I have no RC experience besides cheap indoor drones but plenty of MSFS & other flight sim time and some IRL plane/glider stick time. Are FPV flight sims worthwhile for fixed wing? Is it worth going to a model air field and finding someone to help a noob? I'm in the LA area FWIW.
iNav can be setup to behave pretty autonomously but nowhere near autel/DJI style.

Get your crashes out of the way in the sun first.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 4, 2022

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Dug the 65mm micro quad back out of storage, the RTF controller has noticeable slop so I'm thinking about getting an RC transmitter with Hall gimbals, but availability and pricing seems to be a little odd at the moment. A Jumper T12 from 2018 is $100-$120, but so is the brand new T-Pro and Radiomaster Zorro. What's happening? And why do I want to order a Zorro real badly?

KINEX
Sep 26, 2005

It was as close as I could get it.
Pillbug

guidoanselmi posted:

Well I just took the plunge and bought a Dart 250 g with HDZero/FatShark and Matek F411 FC so I can use iNav. IRL flight is too expensive/time consuming, so I figured this was a better option.

Not too worried about the build but I'm less confident about actually learning to fly and getting trim right. I have no RC experience besides cheap indoor drones but plenty of MSFS & other flight sim time and some IRL plane/glider stick time. Are FPV flight sims worthwhile for fixed wing? Is it worth going to a model air field and finding someone to help a noob? I'm in the LA area FWIW.

I have a ZOHD Dart 250g that I fly with a Matek F411-WSE running iNav along with an analog vtx. Painless360's videos on YouTube that deal with the 250g helped get me going quite a bit. Some of the more challenging bits involved setting up the launch and nose pitch attributes. With iNav's angle mode or horizon mode, it'll fly level for you. An auto-trim setting can be enabled on your controller too which will help with the controls - just remember to save the trim settings using iNav's stick commands once you land.

The 250g can go real fast which is something I wasn't expecting when I flew it for the first time. I crashed mine so hard that the internals ripped out of it and the nose tore off when I hit a tree but I was able to fly it again the next day after using some foam glue. The best advice I can give when flying a RC plane for the first time would be to fly where you have quite a bit of space and give it some altitude so you don't have anything to hit.

If you have any questions about flying the 250g or setting up iNav with it, let me know and I'll try to help where I can.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Some early Mini 3 vids are coming out
https://youtu.be/ssYSJDurXxs

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks like the embargos are starting to come off the Mini 3 and main-stream reviews are starting to appear. Sounds like it's very good.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/dji-mini-3-pro-review

Prices are released. TBH, it's less than I expected in US$$ based on the leak info. I haven't seen CAD$ yet.

quote:

Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro at DJI US: $759
Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro with DJI RC controller at DJI US: $909
Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro output controller at DJI US: $669
Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro Fly More Kit at DJI US: $189

Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro at DJI UK: £709
Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro with DJI RC controller at DJI UK: £859
Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro output controller at DJI UK: £639
Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro Fly More Kit at DJI UK: £159

Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro at DJI AU: $1,119
Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro with DJI RC controller at DJI AU: $1,299
Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro output controller at DJI AU: $989
Pre-order DJI Mini 3 Pro Fly More Kit at DJI AU: $259

e: Does NOT appear to have waypoint functionality. Dammit.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 10, 2022

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

guidoanselmi posted:

The Dart 250g was my first real FPV plane I bought back in early 2020. It's relatively easy to hand launch since it has a proper fuselage you can grab on to, but it had very little elevator authority and the thrust angle was wonky. For me, it was virtually uncontrollable in manual mode and I relied on INAV stabilization (which I'm sure is a big no-no).

Most planes (and flying wings especially) need to have a bit of up-elevator physically trimmed into them (a.k.a. "reflex") before you maiden them. The CG markers on kits tend to be a little conservative, so you can start right on the markers and move the battery back slightly if you find the nose dipping during level flight.

The general wisdom is that you should start in manual mode, get the plane trimmed out, and only then work on getting stabilized flight modes tuned. However, with smaller models like these, I find the lightning fast reflexes of Nav Launch to be a godsend, even on the very first flight. Once you're in the air, it's a good idea to click it over to manual mode to figure out where your trims need to be (either physically or through auto trim) so it's flying straight and stable enough for INAV's autopilot to be trusted with it.

You may want to calibrate your flight controller's accelerometer to where the plane is pitched up slightly so that it doesn't lose altitude in angle or horizon mode when your hands are off the controls. A few degrees ought to do it.

You may find yourself quickly wishing for something a little bigger and heavier because this model is prone to lots of roll waggle, even in light winds. You said you were in L.A., right? It's been unusually windy here in Southern California the last couple of months and I've been reluctant to even take my Bixler 2 out most days. Hopefully, things calm down later in the year.

The FPV wing racing simulators I've seen don't seem to replicate the less desirable characteristics of FPV planes as I've experienced them. Everything is too smooth and laser straight. Things like pitch bobble, yaw waggle, and a desire to keel over and go inverted during steep banked turns (in manual mode) seem to be completely absent from them, so I don't know how much good it would do you unless your goal is to practice flying through gates.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I got a wing about a year and a half ago.. maidened it immediately into the top of a 90-ft tree. Managed to get it down eventually, but haven't worked up the courage to try again. My yard ain't big enough for a wing apparently!

KINEX
Sep 26, 2005

Pillbug
I finally got my Rekon 35 configured to how I would like it and even 3D printed an adapter to mount my Caddx Peanut to it so I decided to give it a short maiden flight today. Things were looking good until I tried to put it in GPS rescue mode to make sure it was functioning correctly. The quad flew relatively back to my position but suddenly the throttle cut and the OSD showed the disarmed stats. Unfortunately the quad fell out of the sky and broke its frame along with some of its props.

I already have parts on order but I'm at a loss as to why Betaflight went into disarm mode. The blackbox is not giving me a whole lot of clues since it might have been out of storage and the failsafe was set to GPS rescue. The only thing I can think of is that I somehow nudged the arm switch or there is a problem with the flight controller that occurred mid-flight.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look at before I try flying the quad again?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

KINEX posted:

I finally got my Rekon 35 configured to how I would like it and even 3D printed an adapter to mount my Caddx Peanut to it so I decided to give it a short maiden flight today. Things were looking good until I tried to put it in GPS rescue mode to make sure it was functioning correctly. The quad flew relatively back to my position but suddenly the throttle cut and the OSD showed the disarmed stats. Unfortunately the quad fell out of the sky and broke its frame along with some of its props.

I already have parts on order but I'm at a loss as to why Betaflight went into disarm mode. The blackbox is not giving me a whole lot of clues since it might have been out of storage and the failsafe was set to GPS rescue. The only thing I can think of is that I somehow nudged the arm switch or there is a problem with the flight controller that occurred mid-flight.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look at before I try flying the quad again?

What control link are you using? If it's ExpressLRS, you're supposed to have your arm switch assigned to AUX1 since that channel is updated every packet whereas the others are only updated in round-robin order. According to the documentation, there is a "non-trivial chance" (their wording) you could have trouble disarming it when reception is weak. If you did bump the arm switch, maybe that could cause a delayed disarm if it's not seeing the channel value reliably.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

KINEX posted:

There could be a number of reasons why it disarmed depending on your settings, but really it comes down to the fact that GPS rescue is not like RTL on a DJI, PX4, or Ardupilot aircraft. It's not really designed to elegantly come back home and land where it took off, it's designed to get an aircraft that has flown out of RC or video range to find its way back close enough for you to get control or video feed again, or dump itself somewhere more recoverable than the top of the mountain you were just exploring. Here's an Oscar Liang article: https://oscarliang.com/setup-gps-rescue-mode-betaflight/

KINEX
Sep 26, 2005

Pillbug
The Rekon 35 is using a TBS Crossfire V3 receiver. My previous experience with return to home modes has been with iNav and I've never really encountered a problem like this yet with Betaflight but I think that's because I haven't left it on for very long when I have tested it out in the past.

After watching Joshua Bardwell's Betaflight walkthrough with the Failsafe Tab, I'm pretty sure I know what happened now - When GPS Rescue was enabled, the flight controller had 8 GPS satellites locked but shortly before the disarm, the GPS receiver unexpectedly dropped the satellite lock down to 6. Betaflight had the Minimum satellites for GPS rescue set to 8 so....yeah. I think that explains what happened in this case and I think I will forgo any failsafe with Betaflight except in the event of an absolute emergency.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

Looks like the embargos are starting to come off the Mini 3 and main-stream reviews are starting to appear. Sounds like it's very good.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/dji-mini-3-pro-review

Prices are released. TBH, it's less than I expected in US$$ based on the leak info. I haven't seen CAD$ yet.

e: Does NOT appear to have waypoint functionality. Dammit.

I was just in the US and probably would've bought it to replace my Air had they been available in stores at that moment (no time to have it delivered). The lack of waypoint function is a bummer but the only other thing that pisses me off is the huge controller. I was really hoping they'd come up with something that doesn't take up more space than the drone itself. Really annoying when trying to pack for travel. Curiously, alll the "influencers" got the kit with the smart controller of course.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 20, 2022

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I finally got out to the field yesterday for the first time. Spent the first few hours crashing after launch and debugging. Turns out trying to do a first flight in manual mode was a fools errand, switched to acro and had no issues.

It wasn't particularly windy but it didn't take much to be thrown around. A friend of mine flew my plane and it was funny watching it do 0 ground speed hovering in place in a headwind.

I also did pick up Wings sim. It's a lot of fun but definitely idealized. Wind, latency, frame rate make it hard to fly with precision like in the sim.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I'm a dumbass and want to get a 107.

Has anyone really got rave reviews for online school?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

TheReverend posted:

I love this thread, but am out of the hobby and have been for a while.

Someone answer this poster so I know I’m not just having a stroke and those words together actually mean something

Vvvvvvv thank you

namlosh fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 23, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Part 107 drone license

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

TheReverend posted:

I used drone launch academy when I did it years ago, it was good. Self paced, good practice tests. Scored better on the real test than the practice ones.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I passed about 1 year ago. I used several videos on youtube and paid nothing.. I think I got an 88 on the test.
I watched each of these a few times while WFH during pandemic.. kept them on as background noise.. the only thing I really needed to lay attention was the sectional charts.

Tony & Chelsea Northrup (Good quick review of the concepts)
the Drone Coach: About 1 hour per section.. very good an din depth
Did some "updated" training on night flights, and Flying over people / drone classification from Pilot Institute YouTube.

Note: If you have an SBI test site its' way cheaper than doing it at a local airport. I had 1 airport 70 min away (which is weird kuz I have a major airport 10 min away), or an SBI on the other direction about 90 away. SBI site was like $90. Airport was around 150+ because you got to pay the Part 107 fee, Then a site administration fee of like 45 bux.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 25, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Finally seeing a meaningful drop in mini 2 prices.... Just as the mini 3 without the fancy controller gets released.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Heeelp!

I'm on holidays with my Mavic Air and the new S22Ultra phone. I had it restore everything from my last phone so all's good, right?

So I got to my location and... Dji Go 4 crashes on launch, just immediately with no error or anything, just quits. I Uninstalled it and went to the app store to get the new one, but it's not there at all. Eventually found the APK on the dji site, but I can't install that either, because sideloading is locked out by corporate policy.

What I managed to do is use Samsung cloud to restore the app from my last phone, so it'd back, but still doesn't work of course.

Just what the gently caress. Any ideas how to work around this? Maybe if I update the app on my old phone, make a backup, and restore it again? But of course I don't have the old phone with me on the trip.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Try litchi or similar 3rd party.
I'm in a similar boat and that was all I could think. I'm running the android 13 beta, and it crashes the DJI fly app the same way.
It's annoying as hell and makes my magic mini almost useless.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!
3D printed planes, I know of Eclipson and 3DLabPrint, does anyone know of other good quality designs worth looking at?

I'm totally fine paying for a design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
quick question

crashed my drone and busted the XT60 connector. I was looking at replacements but they dont seem to have the gray snap-on guard sleeve that goes over the solder points for the wires (half missing in the photo). any idea on what that guard is called or where i can buy them?

edit: on further investigation is that guard even needed if i wrap the solder point with electrical tape?

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 14, 2022