Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

Question about how character events are weighted:

When I play as a single province count (the best way to start) I will always make my character a lunatic. The reason for this is, as a lunatic, an event can trigger where you can build a greenhouse.

Anecdotally, I notice that some lunatics are more of a lunatic than others. My last character I had something like 4 or 5 lunatic events trigger in childhood. In that characters life I got the greenhouse event three times.

This playthrough, I haven't gotten ANY lunatic events and I don't think that the greenhouse will proc this run. This has happened before.

So, I'm just wondering: is this random and I'm getting lucky or unlucky? Are there degrees of being a lunatic (extremely a lunatic to barely a lunatic) OR, can certain situations arise where a trait like this is just ignored?

I'd appreciate your insight. Trying to create optimal conditions to create a greenhouse on whatever awful rock I decide to play on next.

EDIT: If a trait appears last in your character sheet... Is it weighed last?

There are merely 10 lunatic events out of a pool of 271 yearly events.
In other words, if you want to maximize the chance of lunatic events, you want to be as boring as possible, so you don't qualify for other yearly events.
So to increase your chances, this means--
not having vassals/liege
not having stress traits or other fun traits (possessed, depressed, cannibal, deviant, incestous, witch)
not being located in India, Sahara, being Tribal, Clan, Islamic/Asatru, or Persian/North Germanic
not having a holy order
not having any relationships (lovers, friends, rivals, spouses, parents)
not having secrets
not having a royal court
not having upgradable artifacts
not having the mendicant mystics tradition
not having dlcs (Northern Lords in particular)

Isn't farming yearly events fun?? I think as a OPM child, you satisfied most of the above by accident, which is why they were so frequent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I think the issue is that I've gotten it reliably and often. Now my expectations are just totally out of wack

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...20220503_for_dd

Tabletop warriors :toot:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
tbh I'm sorta excited about the struggle system. I feel like it can be used for really interesting stuff like the Northern Crusades, investiture crisis, and the rise of turkic beyliks in Anatolia....

It's super cool cause I feel like it's gonna be a common framework to make areas of the map feel unique

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 3, 2022

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah, it seems like a great tool to really expand the game a lot. I feel like the whole Roman succession should be it's own struggle.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Turning Karling Thunderdome and the Sons of Ragnar into a struggle would probably do a lot to help out the early start being a total shitshow after 50 years.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Omnicarus posted:

Turning Karling Thunderdome and the Sons of Ragnar into a struggle would probably do a lot to help out the early start being a total shitshow after 50 years.

Very true, I can see the struggle system be amazing for these regions. But it would also be great for the Rurikid thunderdome in the 1066 start, or the English clusterfuck with William's and Harald's invasions, the Byzantine-Seljuk conflict, or the Muslim invasions of India.

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

Are there any total conversions that are in a good state at present?

Yeah there's a few, though I imagine it depends on your definition of a "good state". All of the below are playable and enjoyable last I checked, though some only have extra flavor or mechanics focused in a few regional areas. Most, if not all of these have some major gui or art asset work done on them as well.

The Way of Kings - I know it's already been mentioned in the thread, but it's worth mentioning again. The entire thing is a labor of love by a few of the most talented modders in the community.
The Fallen Eagle - 395 CE Migration era setting. I haven't touched it in a little bit but they've apparently made a lot of progress with gui and unique mechanics to fit the time period.
Princes of Darkness - World of Darkness mod. Apparently they have more than just vampires now which is neat.
Shogunate - Look, the name is pretty self explanatory.
Apotheosis - A Hellenistic Age mod which unfortunately gets overlooked quite often.
Lord of the Rings - The mod's map is being slowly filled in region by region, and they've been heavily focusing on the south. Pretty much nothing north of Isengard even exists last I checked. Regardless, what regions do exist have had quite a lot of love put into them.
Tales of Ireland - Mythical Ireland circa 400BCE complete with Fomorians and magic. What's not to love?
Godherja - Original fantasy setting total conversion. I should clarify as a disclaimer that I actually work on this mod's team so take my recommendation as biased.

There's probably a couple I'm missing but those are the major mods which I know are playable as of right now. I know there's a Fire Emblem TC mod out there too but I don't know the first thing about it.

forkis fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 3, 2022

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It feels like it could use some dynamicism. Like, if you reach an end state in a given struggle, that's it???? Is there no way for it to kick off again? So Spain can be solved, but, say, an African Bori character conquers half of Spain fifty years later. It feels like it should re-establish a new conflict.

It also feels like it would color in borders starker than they already are. Afterall, if I inherit Gascony as a spanish ruler somehow, and it happens rather early on, then it feels impossible to extricate Gascony from the issues of Spain.

I'm not sure the areas should be confined regionally. It might maybe should be based off the de jure empire title. If Gascony drifts into Leon, but Qadiz drifts off into Morocco or Tahert, then, rationally, shouldn't Gascony matter more to Spain at large?

I love a lot about the system conceptually, especially poo poo like "sometimes it's not only easy, but maybe encouraged to marry outside of religion" and tying that to a general feeling of the region, somewhat separate from culture. But at the same time, it feels like it's adding rails and walls where maybe they don't belong.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

It feels like it could use some dynamicism. Like, if you reach an end state in a given struggle, that's it???? Is there no way for it to kick off again? So Spain can be solved, but, say, an African Bori character conquers half of Spain fifty years later. It feels like it should re-establish a new conflict.

It also feels like it would color in borders starker than they already are. Afterall, if I inherit Gascony as a spanish ruler somehow, and it happens rather early on, then it feels impossible to extricate Gascony from the issues of Spain.

I'm not sure the areas should be confined regionally. It might maybe should be based off the de jure empire title. If Gascony drifts into Leon, but Qadiz drifts off into Morocco or Tahert, then, rationally, shouldn't Gascony matter more to Spain at large?

I love a lot about the system conceptually, especially poo poo like "sometimes it's not only easy, but maybe encouraged to marry outside of religion" and tying that to a general feeling of the region, somewhat separate from culture. But at the same time, it feels like it's adding rails and walls where maybe they don't belong.

I could see dynamic struggles that could be declared and modified like Cultures/religions/etc being a future goal for the system.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

forkis posted:

Godherja - Original fantasy setting total conversion. I should clarify as a disclaimer that I actually work on this mod's team so take my recommendation as biased.

I played Godherja for a while until an update made it crash - I think that's fixed now so I should pick it up soon. It's fun! I'm playing as the guy who doomed humanity by accidentally dropping a Magic Nuke which Killed God, ushering in Magic Global Warming. This gives every character in the world a -200 opinion penalty against you, unless they're following your religion, which can be basically summed up as "I didn't kill the world, but if I did, maybe the world had it coming". Despite having retained the de jure title of Wizard Roman Emperor (?) through the devastating Wizard Civil War that you won, by the start of the game you've been reduced to a single county because everyone hates you and the world is on fire. Fortunately, you have a lot of Magic War Crimes at your disposal to turn things around!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Omnicarus posted:

I could see dynamic struggles that could be declared and modified like Cultures/religions/etc being a future goal for the system.

Me too. My knee jerk reaction is still "I like the concept". I think it has a ton of potential, and hey, you gotta start somewhere.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Torrannor posted:

Very true, I can see the struggle system be amazing for these regions. But it would also be great for the Rurikid thunderdome in the 1066 start, or the English clusterfuck with William's and Harald's invasions, the Byzantine-Seljuk conflict, or the Muslim invasions of India.

The 1066 Rurikid Thunderdome is the dumbest poo poo, I have no loving idea why Paradox made them all rivals; they got on about as well as feudal brothers ever did.

scaterry posted:

There are merely 10 lunatic events out of a pool of 271 yearly events.
In other words, if you want to maximize the chance of lunatic events, you want to be as boring as possible, so you don't qualify for other yearly events.
So to increase your chances, this means--
not having vassals/liege
not having stress traits or other fun traits (possessed, depressed, cannibal, deviant, incestous, witch)
not being located in India, Sahara, being Tribal, Clan, Islamic/Asatru, or Persian/North Germanic
not having a holy order
not having any relationships (lovers, friends, rivals, spouses, parents)
not having secrets
not having a royal court
not having upgradable artifacts
not having the mendicant mystics tradition
not having dlcs (Northern Lords in particular)

Funnily enough I'm off to try and accomplish this to make Speed 5ing my way to 1453 easier :v:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Things I learned recently, you can’t be celibate if you are a reveler. Just can’t stop loving I guess.

When getting married, make sure that person isn’t landed because then they never come to your court.

Make sure you actually check the Use Hook box when changing a vassals contract so you don’t get a tyranny penalty. Oops.

Also my grandson finally has all the traits for the Strengthen Bloodline decision and I’m hoping he doesn’t die before succeeding the throne. Never been able to get that before.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Bird in a Blender posted:

Things I learned recently, you can’t be celibate if you are a reveler. Just can’t stop loving I guess.

When getting married, make sure that person isn’t landed because then they never come to your court.

Make sure you actually check the Use Hook box when changing a vassals contract so you don’t get a tyranny penalty. Oops.

Also my grandson finally has all the traits for the Strengthen Bloodline decision and I’m hoping he doesn’t die before succeeding the throne. Never been able to get that before.

Yeah I picked the more frequent feasts cultural trait in my last dynasty so everyone got legendary reveler. That's a pretty awesome way to go (especially combined with the religious feasts one that gives you piety for feasts and same religion bonus for the reveler traits). Only annoying thing is all of your characters will hover constantly on the edge of obesity, triggering the notification over and over again. At least I thought it was all the feasting. Maybe also the court food? Anyway, it was fat party kings all the way down that game, and the vassals were loving it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To contrast, make sure that the person you are married to is landed so your child gets their land too.

There is nothing more satisfying then marrying a queen and doubling your territory bloodlessly.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Being a party animal as both a cultural and religious identity is pretty drat funny, and it's only slightly suboptimal in a powergaming context.

It's like Bill & Ted's most excellent dynasty.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If you're actually worried about it - and you're Feudal or Clan - start attempting to imprison your vassals and immediately surrender, you can chew out a couple quick abdications that way at the expense of Crown Authority.

Randallteal posted:

Only annoying thing is all of your characters will hover constantly on the edge of obesity, triggering the notification over and over again. At least I thought it was all the feasting. Maybe also the court food? Anyway, it was fat party kings all the way down that game, and the vassals were loving it.

It's all the feasting. Before royal court your vassals used to invite you to way more feasts, meaning anyone with a big realm got obese as hell right away unless you declined them all.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 4, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hunting counteracts the feasting on a 1:1 ratio, up until the new features with bigger, more frequent feasts and court food. A surefire way to stay healthy is just to take warfare lifestyle as it pulls you towards 0 (aka normal) weight.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Started a new game after the last one just hit a dead end on succession seemingly no matter what I did.

Check out who knocked up the wife of my current character

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Cuk'd

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm hype for Iberia but the DLC I really want is Saladin and the Leper King.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

But then they'd have to make a functional Crusade system, that's a three plus year development time at the rate CK3 has been going :v:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I maintain that the complete incompetence the AI shows during crusades is the most historically accurate part of the game.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah like there was only one truly succesful crusade (the First) and even then that was more thanks to good timing with the various factions of the Levant already fighting among themselves. AI armies taking stupid paths or arriving piecemeal and getting owned seems fairly accurate

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah like there was only one truly succesful crusade (the First) and even then that was more thanks to good timing with the various factions of the Levant already fighting among themselves. AI armies taking stupid paths or arriving piecemeal and getting owned seems fairly accurate

Exactly, that's why you need a post 1st Crusade start date. Trying to recreate that requires a godly dice roll.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
A story in 4 images:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

Reminder that Frederick Barbarossa tried to march the entire German-Hungarian army through Anatolia during the 3d Crusade.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Blimpkin posted:

A story in 4 images:

idgi

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

:same:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jose posted:

Started a new game after the last one just hit a dead end on succession seemingly no matter what I did.

Check out who knocked up the wife of my current character

why are you posing like that in this event, harlot? yellow isn't even your color

Randallteal posted:

Yeah I picked the more frequent feasts cultural trait in my last dynasty so everyone got legendary reveler. That's a pretty awesome way to go (especially combined with the religious feasts one that gives you piety for feasts and same religion bonus for the reveler traits). Only annoying thing is all of your characters will hover constantly on the edge of obesity, triggering the notification over and over again. At least I thought it was all the feasting. Maybe also the court food? Anyway, it was fat party kings all the way down that game, and the vassals were loving it.

there's a historical polish saying that's roughly "well, a saxon's in charge, time to loosen your belt and relax"

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 5, 2022

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
What's the best plan if you want to paint the map, but also be a vassal?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You can negotiate your contract down to nothing and functionally be an independent ruler.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Soho Joe posted:

What's the best plan if you want to paint the map, but also be a vassal?

Duke of Manding. Swear fealty to the King of Ghana next door, and then take over the third gold mine. You'll want to either reform your religion or convert to some form of Christianity so your liege will feudalize and you can negotiate terms, but it's not urgent. You'll have the gold to field massive armies, and as long as you avoid intermarrying too much with the Cisse dynasty (your liege's), you won't have to worry about inheriting the empire.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Technowolf posted:

Reminder that Frederick Barbarossa tried to march the entire German-Hungarian army through Anatolia during the 3d Crusade.
Almost worked though, he just like fell in a river at the last minute

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

pic 1: The Emperor's first born son perished in a Holy War, so the focus switched to trying to align the Empire to best succeed as a young Emperor, but then the Emperor passed when little Bruno was only 9.

pic 2: Bruno discovers he's gay, and I fear him losing tenuous support.

pic 3: Bruno needed a teacher, and nearby Bohemia (we are a Bavarian HRH) had a loving rad King who was just trouncing the pagan tribes. He ended up rebelling and Bruno had to banish him but that was a little later.

pic 4: Bruno and his family, all sons are Vassal Kings, and he did really well in the end. Died kinda early but was well established.

Tangential question, how does Partition work with the HRH Princely elective? If I don't have my chosen heir being elected as Emperor, the realm's chosen heir is set to receive all of my titles, even if I have a bunch of sons. Doesn't seem to have rhyme or reason why one emperor could lose it all to his uncle but if his son is the heir all the sons inherit something, but also sometimes they inherit nothing and all goes to my Heir. Right now my character holds all de jure lands of Duchy of Bavaria and the Duchy itself, the Kingdom of Bavaria, and then the Emperor title.

Just don't make much sense but I'm not complaining if my first born gets to inherit everything. I'm trying not to game it and switch to Primo early, and so far I've held the HRH together since 1 generation after an 800s start in East Francia. It is now 1055.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Man in my current game like half of europe is ruled by childless couples because either the husband or wife is gay. the inheritances are wild lol. someones court physician became king

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Being gay has not stopped me from fathering a bunch of kids.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Same. I had several homosexual rulers both man and woman and they all had enough kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm hype for Iberia but the DLC I really want is Saladin and the Leper King.

Gimme El Cid AND Saladin