Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blocking is good for fast, hard to react to attacks feom regular enemies though, and you can usually get a recoil from blocking lightweight enemies like dogs or rogue style enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Blocking was quite good in DS1 and DS2 if I remember correctly.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Blocking is amazing against small, fast guys and any enemy using a spear. Even in DS3, with its heavy punishments for turtling, has a handful of enemies and encounters where a simple block is almost as good as a parry because of how much stagger it can cause.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah I have been using alot more blocks these days, especially against dogs and thralls. Against anything larger, or if I'm being attacked from multiple directions, my instinct is to mash the roll button.

On the note of rolls, I've recently tried to fight Twin Princes with a parry strategy. It was a complete failure. Yeah theoretically he has alot of parryable attacks. But, parries are inconsistent unless you're positioned just right, and it's really hard to distinguish his different moves due to his ridiculous speed. And he can't be grabbed, so your only chance is to hit with your weapon.

I come back with my trusty claymore and faith in my roll iframes, and I murder them them first try.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Moola posted:

I laughed when you somehow died to fall damage in ringed city lol

missing the window you're supposed to crash through in the dregs is an endless font of slapstick comedy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

KonvexKonkav posted:

Blocking was quite good in DS1 and DS2 if I remember correctly.

Blocking is pretty good in DS1 because there are many light shields in the early game with 100% physical block, but to block bosses reliably you still need high strength and a greatshield. However if you get those things, you’re almost invincible and can shrug off the entire six hit combo from Manus, for example.

In DS2 blocking can eventually be pretty good for a strength greatshield guy, but the start is deliberately a bit harder, they make you wait to clear a boss or two before you can pick up even a good 100% phys block. And there are also a fair few guys in DS2 who just kind of gently caress with a block-everything strat, lot of dudes with big hammers in this game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ds3 blocking is still pretty useful, if you're coming off a committed action like an attack i find it's much more reliable to block the enemy's first incoming attack than roll it, i don't know the numbers but it certainly feels like shield block frames come up faster than roll iframes. you want to roll followups they have of course so they don't decimate your stamina and kill you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had a good time on a recent playthrough using greatshields. It was relatively effective against Gael, and I had a good time with some lightning resistant shield vs the Dragonslayer Armor and Nameless King. Sucks rear end against big monster enemies though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Greatshields are legit in DS1 & 3, you can facetank a lot of stuff and bosses that used to seem tough go down easy. Nameless King is a total pushover with a greatshield.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the thing is unlike ds1 it's much easier to use a greatshield and still have a good roll in 3, so in situations where it's worse you're punished less

ds1 fastrolling was mostly only practical with the eagle shield, which is in a hosed up location and most players wrongly think it's bad because it doesn't have 100% phys block

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That Gael kill with my pyro in a non-pyro fashion used the ethereal oak shield (plus blessed weapon and sun princess ring) to regenerate the chip damage you take from blocking on P2 and P3.

Blocking is good against Dancer as some attacks will bounce and stagger. With a high STR/VIT build you can turtle really well most of DS3. Hell, with an upgraded Lothric Knight shield (medium one) and high endurance you can turtle Nameless King too.

Some boss fights are easier for me if I have a shield raised and still dodge atracks. Is just how my brain is wired like in DS2, I can't dodge a single attack from Sir Alonne or Fume Knight shieldless but with one raised I think more defensively and react better. Go figure.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

the thing is unlike ds1 it's much easier to use a greatshield and still have a good roll in 3, so in situations where it's worse you're punished less

ds1 fastrolling was mostly only practical with the eagle shield, which is in a hosed up location and most players wrongly think it's bad because it doesn't have 100% phys block

On the other hand, Artorias Greatshield was so loving overpowered that it you could face tank literally ever boss in the game with it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

On the other hand, Artorias Greatshield was so loving overpowered that it you could face tank literally ever boss in the game with it.

Full giants, artorias greatshield, 40END, havel and FaP ring with a claymore and you still have medium roll against Manus.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SHISHKABOB posted:

oh, I'd never say shields in ds1 weren't overpowered

fuckin heater shield

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I never found blocking in DS3 to be very useful, although there is the gimmicky moaning shield + magic shield build where you get 100 stability and can trivialize anything that does purely physical damage.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It came to me that I never actually bothered with magic in this one, so decided to fix that with an all-styles Witch. Random thoughts:

- Deacons was pretty miserable until I said gently caress it and summoned Anri and Horace. That's a horrible early fight for the pure sorcery stats I had back then.
- Crystal Sage was a lot more work than expected, being squishy and not having mad dps to compensate. Good fun though, had to actually learn/practice it properly.
- having such early access to Hidden Body really makes most of the game low-effort.
- heavy soul arrow and great heavy soul arrow damage is pretty miserable vs bosses considering their stupidly long casting time.
- it's sad how many weapons aren't buffable.
- Pestilent Mist is the bee's knees. It was my ticket through Greatwood, early Dancer, Oceiros, Dragonslayer Armour, Daemon Prince... Not to mention mimics and errr, those giant crystal lizards.
- Bed of Chaos Vestiges packs a hell of a punch. Even the dark pyros never seemed to hit that hard. That was a boon against Gravetender/Wolf and Friede.
- the MLGS works just fine but looks dull and has forced split damage, I wish I could get the DS2 version instead.
- Miracles feel pretty low-key so far, even with +5 Crystal Chime, I never really felt any earned its place on my bar, apart from an occasional Med Heal since it's more FP efficient than swapping an Ashen Estus for a heal charge.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Midir is trivialized by even an un-upgraded Dragon Crest Shield or similar. It doesn't matter if your guard gets broken when most of his attacks are just strong single hits with no follow-up :ssh:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What midir has a ton of combos.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Midir is trivialized by even an un-upgraded Dragon Crest Shield or similarpestilent mist. It doesn't matter if your guard gets broken when most of his attacks are just strong single hits with no follow-up :ssh:

:haw:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Me getting invaded

https://i.imgur.com/qml91MH.mp4

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Lol
:same:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Are they ever going to turn online mode back on for ds3? I heard they were getting hacked or something and they took it offline to fix it a few months ago?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wendigee posted:

Are they ever going to turn online mode back on for ds3? I heard they were getting hacked or something and they took it offline to fix it a few months ago?

The path of least resistance for the developer is just to turn it off and never turn it back on again unfortunately. I think they would have to be feeling really generous to go back and fix an optional feature of games that are 5+ years old.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1491411609499353088?s=20&t=zEguzvCqayGvP7ne7KDWtA

Seems to imply that they play to turn it back on, but who knows. I imagine if they don't then modders will step up like they did for Demon's Souls, given how much more popular Dark Souls was.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

They had a giant release just over a week ago, they will probably go back to fixing the older games after they've done initial maintenance on Elden Ring and taken some much deserved time off.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think they'll probably fix most of the games, but I wouldn't hold my breath on PTDE.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Oh okay cool so they really did have a code vulnerability and they shut it off until they could fix it. Okay that's good.

I do hope they turn it back on though because I like to use white soapstone and summons as well as to see how people died to remind me of what's coming up

I spent 6 hours grinding on the first lothric Knight before his shield dropped. I wanted it for my pyromancer lol. I don't even need a shield anymore after fighting him 800 times.

Now if I could just kill this loving mimic and get the dark axe so I can move on....

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 6, 2022

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I replayed this game and finally got around to beating the second dlc after giving up at the demons way back when it first came out.

used a greatshield build, it was pretty easy. Nameless King and Champ (both Gundyr and Gravetender) took 1-2 tries each, Gael in one. Most others were done in a reasonable amount of attempts, although frikkin Dragonslayer armour actually stymied me for a while somehow and I summoned Gael for Friede.

Dlc was pretty good, though gently caress the angel swamp and ringed city streets and the summoner giant dudes. Midir was probably the best dragon in the dark souls games? Him or Sinh

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m replaying the best Dark Souls, trying a pyromancer. Anything I need early on? Best weapons?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m replaying the best Dark Souls, trying a pyromancer. Anything I need early on? Best weapons?

have you tried the Exile Greatsword and Carthus Flame Arc? I stumbled on that combo in my first ever Souls playthrough and it took me from Farron Swamp to Gale

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

have you tried the Exile Greatsword and Carthus Flame Arc? I stumbled on that combo in my first ever Souls playthrough and it took me from Farron Swamp to Gale

I’ve never played a Pyromancer so I’ll have to try it out. Right now I’m just slangin fireballs with my hand axe.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lothric Knight Straight Sword is the No Brainer option because it gets A scaling with literally any infusion. Otherwise you've really got your pick of the litter tbh. There are really no wrong answers because Pyromancy is so OP. Pick your favorite weapon, give it a Chaos or Dark Infusion.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have fond memory of the Crow Quills. Maybe I’ll do a dex pyro build.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I have fond memory of the Crow Quills. Maybe I’ll do a dex pyro build.

Very interested in how the quills play out in a full run, they're absurdly stylish and fun. Apparently the R1 combo thrust is awesome and the L2 knife throw is affected by elemental stones (but not consumables or spells).

Funny you should mention them, I did 75% of a Crow Talons run leading up to ER. It was inspired by posts here along with Limitbreaker's YT video on proccing the "bugged" healing and bleed effects of the Pontiff rings.

I went in for a cheese run but found I didn't need to rely on that, because the L2 and running L1 are so loving satisfying. The damage from a sharp max upgraded pair is good enough to ignore bleed, and since nobody uses them they have a real dumb understanding of the pros & cons of the L2 barrage. They don't anticipate the windup, punish the ridiculous cooldown, or anticipate how fast you'll break poise with that one ring equipped. I basically only used L2 -> criticals, or running L1 for mobs.

lol, now I want to know how good crow quills can be

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Completed my pyromancer run. It was crazy easy. Only fight that was a problem was Abyss Watchers and that was probably just because my pyromancy was so weak that early on. I barely even had to use my Crow Quills.

I decided to skip the DLCs and go straight into NG+. I think I only played through both of them once and I’d like them to be a challenge and not just me tossing Chaos Bed Vestiges at everything. I want to do melee only, or at least only support magic. I think I will do a cosplay build, I’m thinking either:

Solaire of Astoria: Solaire’s armor, Sunlight Straight Sword and shield. 40/40/40 STR/DEX/FTH using only support and defensive miracles. Sacred Oath, Lightning Blade, some regen miracle.

Morne: Morne armor and hammer, no shield. Strength, endurance, and enough faith to use his hammer.

Artorias Build: This would be cool but I don’t want to do the covenant stuff for the sword. Maybe switch out for the Abyss Watcher sword, or just do a total Abyss Walker cosplay?

Lord of Cinder: Firelink armor, coiled sword. I’d say some fire themed spells but I just did that.

Dragonslayer: Dragonslayer armor and spear. A few lightning miracles. I’ve really never enjoyed spears though.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Now that the Elden has been Ringed I think I'll stick with DS3 for PVP, it just feels cleaner.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Completed my pyromancer run.

Once the pyro build gets enough points and a few good spells, it crushes the game. Bosses weak to bleed get clowned by Dorhys Gnawing. Then you get chaos bed vestiges and other cool poo poo that deal a ton of damage, plus your chaos/dark/blessed weapon of choice. Don't sleep on blessed with the bit of hp regen and extra physical scaling with faith. Blessed Mace and Blessed Dragonslayer Axe are great tools for bosses that are resistant to elemental damage.

Skipping the DLC on NG is missing on good stuff that drop there (rings included) and going to NG+ fully loaded makes up for hilariously fast playthroughs

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Once the pyro build gets enough points and a few good spells, it crushes the game. Bosses weak to bleed get clowned by Dorhys Gnawing. Then you get chaos bed vestiges and other cool poo poo that deal a ton of damage, plus your chaos/dark/blessed weapon of choice. Don't sleep on blessed with the bit of hp regen and extra physical scaling with faith. Blessed Mace and Blessed Dragonslayer Axe are great tools for bosses that are resistant to elemental damage.

Skipping the DLC on NG is missing on good stuff that drop there (rings included) and going to NG+ fully loaded makes up for hilariously fast playthroughs

Dorohys Gnawing will let you kill Dancer with only a little practice dodge rolling, it's the first way I did it

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started DS3 for the first time, this and ER the only ones I haven't played yet. Beat others multiple times. So far loving this game, I do think people are right this game has so many throwbacks to DS1 but for me it's not a bad thing since I love DS1. There are so many small stuff like the enemies from DS1 in smolderlake(capra demon statutes/tauros statues) and few references to past characters. The weapon arts is a small addition that looks like it does nothing but with some weapons it absolutely changes encounters, I am doing a dex build so the quickstep is super useful. I think in ER you can swap the skills between weapons? That sounds broken.

Only been disappointed by the bosses so far although I think I am like 25-30% in. The Abyss watcher was cool but not much else. I think I should start seeing the better boss around now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

Just started DS3 for the first time, this and ER the only ones I haven't played yet. Beat others multiple times. So far loving this game, I do think people are right this game has so many throwbacks to DS1 but for me it's not a bad thing since I love DS1. There are so many small stuff like the enemies from DS1 in smolderlake(capra demon statutes/tauros statues) and few references to past characters. The weapon arts is a small addition that looks like it does nothing but with some weapons it absolutely changes encounters, I am doing a dex build so the quickstep is super useful. I think in ER you can swap the skills between weapons? That sounds broken.

Only been disappointed by the bosses so far although I think I am like 25-30% in. The Abyss watcher was cool but not much else. I think I should start seeing the better boss around now.

After DS3 putting quickstep on [0] good weapons Elden Ring letting you put ultra-quickstep on the biggest weapons in the game is incredibly dumb, yes