Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also if we take a step back, titles like "Final Fantasy Tactics" or "Tactics Ogre" are pretty much nonsense. We accept them because they're established franchises and we're used to them now, but if you read them as actual titles without that context, they're gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
some early box art concepts for triangle strategy are just, a triangle lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Resident evil makes sense if you think about it

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Been thinking about virtual pets recently. Was gonna make a whole thread on it but apart from my disjointed reminiscence there isn't that much to discuss in... whatever year this is.

Say what you like about Neopets, the actual pet and world design was dope. Shame there wasn't much actual gameplay. The website I enjoyed most was a much smaller one called Psypets, which was a lot more sophisticated in some ways - your pets had more stats and did more stuff. Also they could actually die, so you had a reason to look after the bastards.

Tamagotchis were very popular and I had loads, but I never even really liked them? They made a lot of demands for little reward. Overall I think the whole virtual pet craze came like ten years too early because smartphones seem like the ideal medium for them. I'm sure they do exist on smartphones, but who even cares any more?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Octopath Traveler is at least a little evocative of what the game is about, going through the journeys of eight characters.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seaman is the best virtual pet

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
triangle strategy's title gets explained in the golden route

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

hatty posted:

Seaman is the best virtual pet

Looking at the Wikipedia page for that there was a similar game on the Xbox called N.U.D.E. which stars a sexy robot. Which is kind of hilarious but I don't want to know any more about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Resident evil makes sense if you think about it

I always thought this was pretty clever for RE7

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Say what you like about Neopets, the actual pet and world design was dope. Shame there wasn't much actual gameplay.

They had a battle system and heaps of minigames. Shame you couldn't use your own in Neoquest. They also had some of the best puzzles and events, the most comparable thing I can think of is in some WoW expansions they add some super obscure pets or items that require going through a long unmarked quest chain complete with obtuse puzzles, ones that people flock together to both race and help one another. I remember one event had me solving this pyramid full of mazey rooms and pathways and having to literally draw your own map of the space as you went through and got reset or turned around, then consult the neoboards for frantic threads of people trying to crack puzzles or reveal hidden clues from the source code or some new image uploaded.

virtual pets are an under-realized concept. sure, heaps of virtual pets out there, but nothing really that has folks carrying it around for as long as they do a real pet. No virtual pet yet really has the legs to go that far or be future proof or adapatible that far out.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Yeah there was definitely a lot of stuff that went over my head as a dumbass childe. But I do remember a lot of the worldbuilding and events being pretty impressive so I was probably being unfair in the first place.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tamagotchis were banned at my school

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

Tamagotchis were banned at my school

Same. I gave mine to my mum to look after during school and it was dead by the time I got home. Devastating.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Elden Ring) I got to the secret snow level, neat. I’m starting to see why everyone considers this the “relatively tedious HP sponge zone” because yeesh, these albunaric ladies should not be able to facetank as many sword swings as they do and stuff in general seems to live longer than it should.

But on the other hand…If It Sucks, Hit Da Bricks!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dungeon Encounters's entire premise is that it's as back to basics and stripped down as possible, its a perfectly fine name for that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is SA going to get DDoS'ed again?
https://twitter.com/princeofpersia/status/1521519964074749954

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hero Adventure 2: Revelations

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

This game is never coming out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

This game is never coming out

If its not a Tom Clancy or Assassin's Creed game, it pretty much is never coming out from UBISoft.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know Blizzard is having a rough time right now, but this?
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1521535118921408516

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can't believe it

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Man that looks like dogshit

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

roomtwofifteen posted:

Man that looks like dogshit

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
we got phones... for this??

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Rawshaft

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Seems like it's multiple years too late to make what looks like a Clash Royale rip-off

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

at it again with the late April Fool's jokes

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Everyone just wanted pet battles. Just a mobile pet battles. It would need no new assets or mechanics, the game already exists in World of Warcraft - people just want a mobile version.

And we get this. loving hell

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also what's with that Kidz Bop-sounding-rear end Ballroom Blitz cover

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i had to look up where the hell they got the word "arclight" from and the only thing with that name is the Arclight Spanner, which sure, it's an item that all engineers have been familiar with since vanilla but i still had to look it up even after playing wow for years

the art style in the cinematic is pretty cute and they could have made literally any other game with it and it might have been cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Like I normally try to be positive. I'm not here to poo poo on games or to get in arguments where I try to convince people the games I don't like are bad or whatever.

But come the gently caress on. Blizzard takes the idea of a Warcraft mobile game--a kind of game that could be so many different kinds of things--and decide that what people really want is a clone of Clash Royale, a lovely mobile game spin-off that came out six years ago.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Both employees that haven't just loving bailed yet worked hard on this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I know corporations are afraid of risk, but if it's this much effort to create a few new models and up-res the textures then just create a new game already jeez

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Did they just awkwardly photoshop the word Warcraft onto another free-to-play game that was stealing Blizzard concept art?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

lol that tagline. Everyone knows pc gamers don't experience joy.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
bravely default is a good title

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Relax Or DIE posted:

bravely default is a good title

Yeah for what I'm about to do to these loans

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bravely Default are not only one of the main battle mechanics of the game (like wtf, it's the unique thing it had over FF games), it has some relevance plotwise as a proverb related to the party's motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I like weird names and I cannot lie