Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

A.o.D. posted:

The best War movie is Airplane!
ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
For a time I would have argued Kelly’s Heroes.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

When you find out that "Come And See" is actually a motivational film for russian conscripts. :cry:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Going with Paths of Glory here.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Uh it's obviously Mel Gibson's The Patriot in both artistic vision and historical accuracy

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

In The Army Now is the most accurate, however.

This.

2nd place goes to Forrest Gump. Pre-Service: "They wouldn't take that guy."
6 months in: "gently caress, Forrest would be the smartest guy in my squad."

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I dunno, I think Stripes is up there as one of the best.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/notwoofers/status/1521558723956719616?s=21&t=7U3ifDuFXxCd1BDceb1oDg

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Cimber posted:

I dunno, I think Stripes is up there as one of the best.

Stripes is a bad movie.
It's a worse military movie.
This is a bad opinion.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

Stripes is a bad movie.
This is a bad opinion.

How can you argue against this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnIBk-0KLi0

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Stripes is a bad movie.
This is a bad opinion.

Are you saying this vehicle would not be useful for picking up girls in Minsk?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Three Kings is the best. I’ve made people angry with this opinion, but their opinions about the Gulf War and GWOT are probably wrong and dumb.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

Stripes is a bad movie.
This is a bad opinion.

People in Prague are surprisingly culturally aware of the comparison to Wisconsin

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Casimir Radon posted:

Three Kings is the best. I’ve made people angry with this opinion, but their opinions about the Gulf War and GWOT are probably wrong and dumb.

Three Kings is the best Desert Storm movie

Generation Kill is the best OIF I show

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Red Zone Cuba is probably the best, or at least the most accurate, movie about modern mercenaries. Because it's utterly terrible and the mercenaries are a bunch of murderous rapist criminals.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'll never get over Nacho Grande.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Red Zone Cuba is probably the best movie about modern mercenaries. Because it's utterly terrible and the mercenaries are a bunch of murderous rapist criminals.
:hmmyes:
My man!

It also has far far more Cherokee Jack than any other movie does. Also the ghost brigade!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Red Zone Cuba is probably the best, or at least the most accurate, movie about modern mercenaries. Because it's utterly terrible and the mercenaries are a bunch of murderous rapist criminals.

More movies need John Carradine belting out the opener

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Wagner Group...ran all the way to Hell, with a kopeck and broken cigarette.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Oooh, I know what I'm watching tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzwVDkLgrts

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I said what I said.

Stripes isn't funny. It lacks charm, and has loving hack Bill Murray. Sgt Bilko is loving better, and that's not even that good.

Three Kings fucks, and is underrated as a movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

has loving hack Bill Murray.

Are you from an alternate universe? Who won WWII

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'd been directed to call cadence exactly twice. The reason I was not asked a third time was because the second time I used the I CAN BARELY MOVE MY LEGS from Sgt Bilko

I am proud that I got all the way thru it before PSG yeeted my rear end to the back of the formation though

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Office Space is the most realistic portrayal of military bureaucracy.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I said what I said.

Stripes isn't funny. It lacks charm, and has loving hack Bill Murray. Sgt Bilko is loving better, and that's not even that good.

None of this is wrong, it's a bad movie with a hilarious last 10 minutes with the murder van, and furthermore 3 kings was so good it had marky mark being forcefed 10w30

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

psydude posted:

This is so true. I tried to explain to people that the "I have eight bosses" line was the closest anyone came to describing the Army.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the first few minutes of Major Payne

also yeah Three Kings

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

psydude posted:

"We need to talk about your TRiPS reports. Yeah. It's just that we're putting new coversheets on all of our leave packets *before* they go to S-1 now. So if you could just remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

No Buffalo Soldiers? Denied!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

zoux posted:

Are you from an alternate universe? Who won WWII

Bill Murray sucks. He's the 80's Dane Cook. He might have a small part he doesn't ruin here or there, but his shtick is the same in most of his poo poo, and it's smarmy, and unfunny. I can't think of a single movie he improves, besides his bit part and death in Zombieland.

And that's based on just his art- not touching his personal life.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bulletsponge13 posted:

Bill Murray sucks. He's the 80's Dane Cook. He might have a small part he doesn't ruin here or there, but his shtick is the same in most of his poo poo, and it's smarmy, and unfunny. I can't think of a single movie he improves, besides his bit part and death in Zombieland.

Hey if it’s any consolation, I just read your quote to my wife and she just shouted out “yes I’ve been trying to tell everyone this for years.”

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I said what I said.

I just read that Stripes was originally pitched as "Cheech and Chong Join the Army" which would have been infinitely better.

I was at a bar that Bill Murray did that dumb guest bartender thing at and it was the most cringingly annoying experience of all time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

I wasn't a fan of his 80s slapstick, but he was fantastic in his later movies, starting with Groundhog Day, and then later on with Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Lost in Translation.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I think Bill Murray is hilarious but I can 100% see how someone would not enjoy him.

Basically because 95% of what he's done, and absolutely 100% since The Jerk, has me hitting with Steve Martin the same.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Watch Only Murders in the Building. I haven’t really cared for anything Steve Martin has done in the last 20 years until that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Watch Only Murders in the Building. I haven’t really cared for anything Steve Martin has done in the last 20 years until that.

I did. I hated it.

I have also never, ever, ever laughed at anything Martin Short has ever done. Including Three Amigos.

By all accounts he’s an extremely nice dude, but he’s comedy antimatter to me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I take that back. I died laughing at this. I saw it live

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/kathie-lee-gifford-martin-short-wife-331146/amp/

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Template stolen from the D/D Ukraine thread, pic stolen from earlier in this thread:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Casimir Radon posted:

Speaking of Steve Martin, I'm probably the only person who enjoyed Mixed Nuts. I don't know what this says about me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I've collected a few of these, starting to wonder if they're worth their own thread (for general russia/Ukraine memes and photoshops), or if they're good here. Either way, without further ado...

My own:

Others found around the forums/on discord:

someone on Discord posted:

Template: