Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

I doubt the emphasis will move to contraception but definitely same sex marriage.
I absolutely see that coming

You don’t take a piecemeal approach to women’s bodily autonomy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

moonmazed posted:

no better time to just kill myself and get it over with i guess

Same, I have no interest in finding out exactly how bad it can get.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Andrew Torrez has convinced me that going for contraceptives is more likely than I think.

I also wonder if any of this is going to backlash on them.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Of course not, rightwingers are too braindead to think that far.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think the flood gates will open and we will see everything from segregation to criminalizing just being gay.

Several states still have anti-sodomy laws on the books they just can't use them because Lawrence v. Texas but if a right to privacy is out then welp.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Xakura posted:

Gad, I hope so. "Dred Scott, but against everyone" is what we're looking at here, and the best possible outcome is that the law means nothing anymore (assuming the authorities don't act on these decisions, which, it is to laugh).
If this leak doesn't motivate enough blue voters to overcome the voting law deck-stacking the fascists have been doing the past few years, I don't like to think about the results.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xakura posted:

Andrew Torrez has convinced me that going for contraceptives is more likely than I think.

Judging by the ongoing meltdown(s) in US CE, its going to hurt the Democrats more than the Republicans. People are more laser focused on punishing the Dems for not stopping this than going after the Republicans for actually doing it, so the Republicans are just gonna keeping winning and things will continue to degenerate at their accelerated pace.

There is no gluing the vase back together, it is broken for good now.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Judging by the ongoing meltdown(s) in US CE, its going to hurt the Democrats more than the Republicans. People are more laser focused on punishing the Dems for not stopping this than going after the Republicans for actually doing it, so the Republicans are just gonna keeping winning and things will continue to degenerate at their accelerated pace.

Love how the blame is on the party that didn't appoint a bunch of authoritarian, religious sex pests to the Supreme Court; as if there was some One Weird Trick to prevent this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Love how the blame is on the party that didn't appoint a bunch of authoritarian, religious sex pests to the Supreme Court; as if there was some One Weird Trick to prevent this.

Democrats get sad and go home. Republicans get the job done.

“The job” in question, of course, is making life unliveable for everyone.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nine-gear crow posted:

US CE is in absolutely no way an accurate reflection of the country. Like at all.

Trying to extrapolate what the effects will be from it seems unwise because this is a wildly different kind of atmosphere from the actual general public

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zore posted:

US CE is in absolutely no way an accurate reflection of the country. Like at all.

Trying to extrapolate what the effects will be from it seems unwise because this is a wildly different kind of atmosphere from the actual general public

There does seem to be an outsized number of methane-breathers in there from proximity of their heads to their rectal areas, yes. Hopefully you’re right in that they’re not reflective of actual, not terminally online people. Because if they are somehow, you Yanks are turbo hosed.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Astrofig posted:

Soooo bye-bye abortion rights apparently. Any guesses what they're gonna axe next? Gay marriage? Women's voting rights? Desegregation?

The first two, definitely, but they've learned they don't need legally enforced segregation anymore when they can create it via other, more subtle means.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

They absolutely resent having to be subtle about it. Modern conservatives are driven primarily by their desire to hurt their opponents. Making life miserable for PoCs is not enough.

They want to be able to point and laugh as the others impotently rattle their cage.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Asking 'What will they go after?' is fundamentally misunderstanding the fascist mindset. The answer is 'everything'. They're screaming that answer in everyone's face every time Tucker Carlson tries to whip up another follower into a stochastic terrorism killing spree. Nothing is off the table. They want it all and they want to do it with violence towards whatever is the most individually motivating target of hatred.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bird food bathtub posted:

Asking 'What will they go after?' is fundamentally misunderstanding the fascist mindset. The answer is 'everything'. They're screaming that answer in everyone's face every time Tucker Carlson tries to whip up another follower into a stochastic terrorism killing spree. Nothing is off the table. They want it all and they want to do it with violence towards whatever is the most individually motivating target of hatred.
Yes and the Alito draft literally lays out the rulings that he and the conservative majority consider 'wrong' and in need of correction (Lawrence, Casey, Obergfell, etc). They are telling you exactly what is next.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BiggerBoat posted:

I doubt the emphasis will move to contraception but definitely same sex marriage.

Sorry I used to work for Planned Parenthood and they will abso-loving-lutely start coming for contraception. Also, rich white conservative women will still have access to these things, just like they did before.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and the Alito draft literally lays out the rulings that he and the conservative majority consider 'wrong' and in need of correction (Lawrence, Casey, Obergfell, etc). They are telling you exactly what is next.

Ah yes, but when a Justice with a functioning soul writes an opinion affirming these rights, it's called "legislating from the bench."
Goddamn, these people deserve climate change.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
So I guess the real question is how many more years we have before all the reversals basically make this an unlivable hellscape. I give it five years at the most.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
if its got you feeling down, just remember there is looming climate collapse to help speed things up

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh I know. I know there's at most like, a decade but I'm wondering if it might be time to exit much sooner before poo poo *really* gets bad.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Nah, stick around, how many people in the history of mankind can say they saw the collapse

And on a serious note, if you are feeling truly close to that edge, I plead for you to seek help. I have in the past and I don't regret that

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Aramis posted:

They absolutely resent having to be subtle about it. Modern conservatives are driven primarily by their desire to hurt their opponents. Making life miserable for PoCs is not enough.

They want to be able to point and laugh as the others impotently rattle their cage.

regressives are fine living in a box if the other guy has no box, no sticks to cook rats, and no rats.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Professor Beetus posted:

Sorry I used to work for Planned Parenthood and they will abso-loving-lutely start coming for contraception. Also, rich white conservative women will still have access to these things, just like they did before.

They might but I think they're smart enough to not go after losing issues on that extreme end of polling. Overturning abortion is, what, like a 55 -45 issue percentage wise? Contraception is something along the lines of 80 - 20 and even the religious rednecks don't want their 16 year old kids becoming parents. Not saying you're wrong, and obviously you know more than me having worked at PP. I just don't think there are enough of them.

Yet.

I looked at some polling and cross tabs earlier today that I posted in the CE thread. I have to think we're a long way out from pushing up against banning birth control pills or condoms.

E

And for all the talk about climate change and how many of these goobers believe in things like God laying into New Orleans for being dirty sinners, it's weird to me that they never consider the idea that if God DOES exist, maybe...just maybe...he's sending us a message about raping and polluting his planet through greed.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 4, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

They might but I think they're smart enough to not go after losing issues on that extreme end of polling. Overturning abortion is, what, like a 55 -45 issue percentage wise? Contraception is something along the lines of 80 - 20 and even the religious rednecks don't want their 16 year old kids becoming parents. Not saying you're wrong, and obviously you know more than me having worked at PP. I just don't think there are enough of them.

Yet.

I looked at some polling and cross tabs earlier today that I posted in the CE thread. I have to think we're a long way out from pushing up against banning birth control pills or condoms.

People said the exact same thing about going after Roe vs Wade. That's why the right wing punditry are making GBS threads bricks about it, they are concerned about its impact on the election.

Although almost ~50% of Americans describe themselves as pro life, ~ 80% think abortion should be legal under 'any' or 'some' circumstances. And that's a number that hasn't changed much for fifty years. The forced birth lobby doesn't care though, they see their chance and are pushing for maximalist no-abortion laws in every red state. They're sick of having to compromise with 'incest' or 'rape' exceptions.

The issue is that the 20% forced-birth voters are single-issue while the 80% are not, which is why they wield such disproportionate political power. They also vote in big numbers so they comprise a bigger share of the actual electorate. But, coming at the 80% hard like this ... it's unpredictable.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not RWM, but an interesting hypothesis about the leak (which ties nicely into why everyone's talking about the leak, and less about the hideous opinion).

https://twitter.com/akapczynski/status/1521494553877962754?t=K4OX9Z3LLd5J3B3of6RSCQ&s=19

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Not RWM, but an interesting hypothesis about the leak (which ties nicely into why everyone's talking about the leak, and less about the hideous opinion).

https://twitter.com/akapczynski/status/1521494553877962754?t=K4OX9Z3LLd5J3B3of6RSCQ&s=19

I think Rs leaked it because they wanted to change the narrative away from Ukraine.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Ben Shapiro knows all

https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1521340940127932416

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why is a supreme court decision being released a month early destructive to the country?

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Asking 'What will they go after?' is fundamentally misunderstanding the fascist mindset. The answer is 'everything'.

Henry A. Wallace posted:

“The American Fascists are most easily recognized by their deliberate perversion of truth and fact.... They cultivate hate and distrust of both Britain and Russia. They claim to be super-patriots, but they would destroy every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution. They demand free enterprise, but are the spokesmen for monopoly and vested interest. Their final objective, toward which all their deceit is directed, is to capture political power, so that using the power of the State and the power of the market simultaneously they may keep the common man in eternal subjection.”
It's happening again :rubby:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why is a supreme court decision being released a month early destructive to the country?

It's not. Conservative talking heads LOVE to be outraged and this is just the newest bugbear.

I love how their focus is on people telling on the court and not the court's abject horrifying decision undoing 50 years of established constitutional law. You know, the real terrorism.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
A conservative leaked it. Now the story is "who did it?" Instead of "supreme court justices erase our rights".

How are people still falling for conservative manipulation?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
https://twitter.com/MostlyPeacefull/status/1521585510925451266?t=QunHpvqZt9u63iGeNIeRrA&s=19
Ah yes, a totally valid breakdown of reasons for abortion, not in any way verifiable whatsoever but conveniently slanted to serve as a 'gotcha' for abortion arguments.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Supreme Court drafts aren’t classified info or anything, and leaking them probably isn’t illegal anyway.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Right to privacy for me but not for the is essentially the ruling and the reaction summer into a quip.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dr Christmas posted:

Supreme Court drafts aren’t classified info or anything, and leaking them probably isn’t illegal anyway.

The fact that SCOTUS drafts are not transparent anyways is practically a crime.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/MostlyPeacefull/status/1521585510925451266?t=QunHpvqZt9u63iGeNIeRrA&s=19
Ah yes, a totally valid breakdown of reasons for abortion, not in any way verifiable whatsoever but conveniently slanted to serve as a 'gotcha' for abortion arguments.

Source: dude trust me

Even if it was a real data set it's still an awful one because it's a self selecting survey on intake. Are a lot of people going to be checking "incest" on the form unless it was absolutely necessary? Of course people are going to hide that.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

That table should be 100% elective in the first place anyways. I would also accept "none of your business" as a separate category. You know, right to privacy and all that.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

6.2% - It'll have negative life-changing impact
92.3% - lmao

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
If there's not a FOX News/Tucker Carlson segment with a "WHO IS LEAKING ON THE SUPREME COURT?" banner and a big photo of Jackson in the corner I think I'll honestly be let down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
0 . 666 % for "fetal abnormality" seems like a joke chart.

also having 3rd decimal places.