Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
just started the new season and are you loving kidding me "acid water" like god drat what is it with always wanting lakes of acid and poo poo on alien worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

I read somewhere (maybe this thread?) that HBO Max is holding off on announcing any renewals until some merger poo poo goes down in May.

It was me speculating in this thread -- what I said was that we'll know one way or the other by the time they do their upfronts (which IIRC is the 15th of May), and if we haven't heard anything to assume it was cancelled. IMO though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
When the show starts there supposed to be what, 300 people in the colony? By episode 2 I'm counting at least 16 deaths. I feel like a 5% population loss should be a massive problem.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

When the show starts there supposed to be what, 300 people in the colony? By episode 2 I'm counting at least 16 deaths. I feel like a 5% population loss should be a massive problem.

(Full season spoilers)

The show engages with this. The Trust's motivations remain murky throughout the season but Grandmother's plan combined with the human to snake experiment it ran makes it pretty clear it was on the way to devolving the human population eventually. Maintaining the human breeding profile was never the point of the exercise.

I get the sense that everything in the Tropical Zone is made from human flesh, from the plants to the fish to the fish people.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 1, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pentyne posted:

just started the new season and are you loving kidding me "acid water" like god drat what is it with always wanting lakes of acid and poo poo on alien worlds

isn't that just how space is? always hearing about some planet out there that seems cool until you find out it has like sulfuric acid oceans or clouds made of caustic compounds or shits covered in some frozen periodic table.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

(Full season spoilers)

The show engages with this. The Trust's motivations remain murky throughout the season but Grandmother's plan combined with the human to snake experiment it ran makes it pretty clear it was on the way to devolving the human population eventually. Maintaining the human breeding profile was never the point of the exercise.

Wait what? I never got that impression from The Trust at all. Because the poison gas in mouse absolutely killed the poo poo out of that redshirt guy. Paul just has main character plot armor. The Trust was absolutely trying to kill all the mithriacs.

pentyne posted:

:agreed: I think they said 300 humans in total on the planet. And sure there are a few outposts around like barterBillytown, but it's still 300ish people.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 1, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wow, what a crazy show. A few things jumped out at me

- Marcus was getting powers from the necro eyes, but since he swallowed them did that mean he was making GBS threads them out and having to swallow them again constantly?
- Necro eyes gave him power and veins throbs in response to the signal which is bad thing?
- Always with the loving acid water its even central to the overall plot
- Who/what broke the Grandma android 1 million years ago?
- Who/what set up the EMF field that shields from Entity
- The entity wants to destroy the planet....that it lives on?
- That alien in the pit that resurrected then rapidly turned into the devolve human, because of the magic tooth?
- Grandma is from the ancient atheists, who fought ancient Believers, but uses the sun symbol for stuff
- Everyone seems entirely too chill for being the few hundred human beings left and aliens popping up all over the place
- Military dude who was 'reprogrammed' by The Trust, uh, did that ever go anywhere?

Sort of revealed a bit about the underlying mystery while at the same time throwing out more things that at first glance seem inherently contradictory. Hope for a season 3 but it does seem like they are going too big on the mystery box storytelling and will probably end up ignoring more then a few one off weird things.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pentyne posted:

Wow, what a crazy show. A few things jumped out at me

- Marcus was getting powers from the necro eyes, but since he swallowed them did that mean he was making GBS threads them out and having to swallow them again constantly?
- Necro eyes gave him power and veins throbs in response to the signal which is bad thing?
- Always with the loving acid water its even central to the overall plot
- Who/what broke the Grandma android 1 million years ago?
- Who/what set up the EMF field that shields from Entity
- The entity wants to destroy the planet....that it lives on?
- That alien in the pit that resurrected then rapidly turned into the devolve human, because of the magic tooth?
- Grandma is from the ancient atheists, who fought ancient Believers, but uses the sun symbol for stuff
- Everyone seems entirely too chill for being the few hundred human beings left and aliens popping up all over the place
- Military dude who was 'reprogrammed' by The Trust, uh, did that ever go anywhere?

Sort of revealed a bit about the underlying mystery while at the same time throwing out more things that at first glance seem inherently contradictory. Hope for a season 3 but it does seem like they are going too big on the mystery box storytelling and will probably end up ignoring more then a few one off weird things.

Gonna assume that he wasn't constantly swallowing the eyes. They just magically stayed in his belly.
Veined up Marcus was a sol true believer at that point so makes sense.

I wasn't sure if destroy the planet meant kill every living thing on it or literally blow up the planet. Probably the former but who knows.

The rest of the stuff is basically unanswered so far.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
"destroy the planet" came from Grandmother who was almost certainly obfuscating the truth.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

iirc they weren't 100% sure of the motives of the entity, that was just their best guess

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol @ the planet-destroying species worried about a wild animal destroying the world

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Just gonna say that establishing the timescale with Grandma is pretty ambitious given that I expect it to go the way of Lost where a bunch of one off "dum dum" shocker moments are just forgotten about.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

On the contrary, I hope they don't go out of their way to tie in every bit of weird lore to some elaborate payoff.
I know it's bad writing to put attention on something and not have it tie into the story but in this case weird stuff not fitting together seems like part of the theme. Just shotgun blast all your silly ideas into the world, let them all be true, and expand on what you want when you want to

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Khanstant posted:

isn't that just how space is? always hearing about some planet out there that seems cool until you find out it has like sulfuric acid oceans or clouds made of caustic compounds or shits covered in some frozen periodic table.

Yeah. Venus has sulfuric acid clouds, Titan has oceans of liquid methane. As observations of exoplanets get more detailed, we'll probably find a lot of crazy conditions on other planets.

This version makes no sense, though. The ocean is extremely caustic acid, yet the atmosphere is so Earth-like as to be perfectly breathable. I commented on this pages back, but an actual planet with an ocean of acid so strong it dissolves most organic and inorganic matter within seconds would also have a totally insane, hostile atmosphere that killed everyone upon exposure. People would have deadly acid condensing in their lungs, caustic gases forming as oxygen reacts with the ocean.

But obviously, the point is that it's not hard scifi. It's mythology. The acid ocean has more of an allegorical or metaphysical purpose. The show is all snakes and forbidden fruit and gods and parenthood, things leaking blood and cum and milk all over. Asking about terraforming science is like asking about gravity in Star Wars.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good point. I appreciate that mythology approach here in general, real hard scifi terraforming and planets isn't a good setting or environment for storytelling on a human timescale. Science also has a way of making things bit more boring and mundane, sure, plenty of poo poo we don't know abou the universe, plenty of theoretical states of matter or whatever, but we're never getting candlyland planets or anything rad like that.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
It’s not mythology, it’s just writers not having more than the absolute most basic (ahem) possible conception of chemistry, and of science in general.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Who do we have to toss into an ocean of acid to get a word on the season 3 renewal?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
chemistry and science suck rear end give me more tv show

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

Everyone on the Tarantula went completely insane from not getting to sleep the entire trip and instead get submarine amounts of personal space for a decade.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

eschaton posted:

It’s not mythology, it’s just writers not having more than the absolute most basic (ahem) possible conception of chemistry, and of science in general.

Right, they could have had the ocean made of water with a super corrosive algae or something that lives a foot below the surface, making the ocean and tides extremely dangerous, closed off to non-merpeople, but still not making the audience go "uh, maybe watch out for that ocean spray and wet rocks there Campion". I'm not demanding an explanation or science for it, and just roll with what's on screen, but it's still an unnecessary whiff.

It's like if the show said the necromancer scream was a plutonium mist - that just raises a lot of questions that "dark photon murder mouth" neatly(-ish) avoids.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Wouldn't the humidity from an acid ocean gently caress up the water cycle and make the rain, ground water, atmospheric vapour deadly for humans? Imagine microscopic droplets of airborne acid slowly burning away your nasal passages, oesophagus and lungs with each breath.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"nanomachines, son!"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They could have easily gotten around it by just saying the ocean is full of flesh-dissolving enzymes or bacteria, which would also make the flipper peoples' immunity more plausible

e: well that'll teach me to scroll up

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lynch_69 posted:

Wouldn't the humidity from an acid ocean gently caress up the water cycle and make the rain, ground water, atmospheric vapour deadly for humans? Imagine microscopic droplets of airborne acid slowly burning away your nasal passages, oesophagus and lungs with each breath.

Yes.

Literally nothing about the acid ocean makes sense, even as a plot device, especially since it can basically wipe out modern tech metal in a matter of seconds.

It's basically fantasy acid and I assume they literally couldn't figure out anything else for their story.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Out of all the whacky poo poo that happens on this show you guys have chosen to get all technical on the acid ocean. Recall that an android gave live birth to a flying snake in season 1.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sock The Great posted:

Out of all the whacky poo poo that happens on this show you guys have chosen to get all technical on the acid ocean. Recall that an android gave live birth to a flying snake in season 1.

biotech son

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
acid isn't just the green goop that dissolves people and cartoons, it's also the fantastic fluid that you can fall into and get cool superpowers

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

eschaton posted:

pentyne posted:

Yes.

Literally nothing about the acid ocean makes sense, even as a plot device, especially since it can basically wipe out modern tech metal in a matter of seconds.

It's basically fantasy acid and I assume they literally couldn't figure out anything else for their story.

pentyne posted:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sock The Great posted:

yeah its strange

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pentyne posted:

The response of the writers to this would be “That isn’t how acid works?”

Do not overestimate the average person’s understanding of science, even the otherwise above average person’s understanding if they aren’t at least significantly adjacent to the sciences.

They think they’re writing science fiction. They’re actually writing science fantasy.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I think the writers of the show with the flying snake child of the robot with killer eyes and a tree that activates its world-destroying powers may have some awareness of the fantastical nature of their work.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i like how all of the characters in the fantastical work completely accept every fantastical turn without any real reaction

"sue turned into a tree and the fifty foot flying snake that can fly because a murderbot gave birth to it ate the sue tree and now it's weaponised. it's a living weapon."

"oh. okay."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i like how all of the characters in the fantastical work completely accept every fantastical turn without any real reaction

"sue turned into a tree and the fifty foot flying snake that can fly because a murderbot gave birth to it ate the sue tree and now it's weaponised. it's a living weapon."

"oh. okay."

- oh so you had superpowers cause you had robot eyes in your stomach?
- yes
- oh ok lol. I thought it was god acting through you

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

Eau de MacGowan posted:

"oh. okay."

This is the best part of the show, how the characters take these completely insane things that happen as everyday occurrences or -at the worst case- mild annoyances.

See also when Campion finds the ancient robot that Father resurrected by putting together its fossilized pieces and drenching it with robot milk, and treats it like a new toy/pet. Or when Space Ragnar comes up from the mithraic pit, sees all his followers brutally slaughtered, and tiringly pulls out his gun while his face has a "not this poo poo again" impression.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I feel a bit like them cause while in season 1 I was like "what the poo poo" in a lot of moments but them in season 2 I was mostly "oh cool she turned into a tree"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DrThief posted:

Or when Space Ragnar comes up from the mithraic pit, sees all his followers brutally slaughtered, and tiringly pulls out his gun while his face has a "not this poo poo again" impression.

I love that when he's down in the pit and one of said followers' corpses TWANNNNNGs off his cage-ride past the space-snake skeletons and further down to actual literal hell, he just kinda goes,"Huh?" and then goes back to digging out the wall of corpses to see what's behind there (the Space Pope, wanting to get high on teeth).

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
it's fine. it's special space acid that is neutralized by the air, which is why the spray and such isn't a problem, just don't fall in. there, solved. however, the main thing is that it doesn't matter.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The acid ocean is 100% scientifically accurate.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All the rocks on the beaches seem to be immune to tje acid. Why dont they just make a boat out of rocks and go exploring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you're banging on about the acid ocean i wonder what other useless insights ya got