Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rampancy is from Bungie iirc. The 7 year lifespan is just another callback to the number 7 motif in Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Arc Hammer posted:

Rampancy is from Bungie iirc. The 7 year lifespan is just another callback to the number 7 motif in Halo.

Yeah, rampancy as a term goes back to the original Marathon series of games that Bungie put out in the mid-90's.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ah, kinda figured I was giving 343 too much credit. Well at least we have Spartan Ops still… oh wait. :v:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Anita Dickinme posted:

It’s called Rampancy. It happens after seven years of them being created that makes them go quite insane and evil. It’s a really cool thing and one of the few things I liked that 343 added but I’m not even sure if they added it or stole it from a book.

So Cortana isn’t there yet.

It's first mentioned in the Fall of Reach novel that came out before Halo CE and then a few of the other novels around that time. I don't think it's mentioned in any of the Bungie games as a thing but 343 picked it up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Thom12255 posted:

It's first mentioned in the Fall of Reach novel that came out before Halo CE and then a few of the other novels around that time. I don't think it's mentioned in any of the Bungie games as a thing but 343 picked it up.

It doesn't have a mention in the Bungie Games but I believe it's part of their series bible.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It's a major part of the story in the beginning of Halo Wars 2

RIP Serena :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duorFScIvP4

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

They should have ret-conned Durandal into being in the halo universe, wouldn't even be a stretch with all the alternate reality stuff.

Its kind of cute though how much of the marathon series feels like a dry run for halo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought you were referring to Samir Duran from Starcraft and woof, even Starcraft 2 shouldn't have gone there again.

Then I googled it and it's actually some anime girl and I agree she could jazz up the show and Halo videogames.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Khanstant posted:

Then I googled it and it's actually some anime girl and I agree she could jazz up the show and Halo videogames.

:catstare:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

I thought you were referring to Samir Duran from Starcraft and woof, even Starcraft 2 shouldn't have gone there again.

No

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something tells me that The Weapon from Halo Infinite will decide to call herself Durandal.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arc Hammer posted:

Something tells me that The Weapon from Halo Infinite will decide to call herself Durandal.

Unless Microsoft also bought the rights to Marathon with Halo, I doubt that's possible. Microsoft probably isn't excited to get sued by another prior Halo company. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They'll be cheeky and if they don't go with Cortana she'll be Joyeuse

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, rampancy as a term goes back to the original Marathon series of games that Bungie put out in the mid-90's.

I'm not sure if they're the first ones to call it "rampancy", but the idea of an AI that goes out of control and/or insane is much older than that. Skynet went "rampant" almost immediately, for instance.

Alchenar posted:

Last scene of season one will be John standing on Halo, possibly recreating the scene with Makee from last episode.

Madrigol has to go somewhere still remember.

Two minds over whether they do the fall of reach yet/at all. The show really can't devolve into a Halo CE legendary run, there needs to be space for people to do talking and politics.

If I didn't know the broad strokes of the Halo series, I would have assumed that last shot of John and Makee standing on the Halo meant that they were supposed to get humanity to this mysterious ringworld to protect them against the Covenant. But yeah, we're definitely not getting to the Halo until Season 2 outside the shot you're describing, if only because Season 1 is taking so long to get off the ground that they need to have a teaser to ensure you stick around for S2.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Solenna posted:

I don't think it was a diabolical murder attempt. John needed a way to find out if Cortana could hijack his body instead or just knock him out. And he couldn't exactly ask Halsey and trust her so he came up with a way to force an answer. I mean the whole thing was a little contrived and obviously a lovely thing to do to someone but now he knows she can't get Cortana to take over his motor functions.

I was referring mostly to his speech/history lesson while carrying out the murder attempt or threat. It felt really weird to me, like it was written for a much more twisted character. Maybe the emotionless delivery was part of it. Idk, just didn't feel like Chief.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

my cat is norris posted:

I was referring mostly to his speech/history lesson while carrying out the murder attempt or threat. It felt really weird to me, like it was written for a much more twisted character. Maybe the emotionless delivery was part of it. Idk, just didn't feel like Chief.

It reminded me of his history lesson to Kwan about which power converter to pull to get the ship to go to Toshi Station

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Khanstant posted:

just to, you know, 'Durandal' is a legendary sword. Bungie would use the name for an AI in the Marathon games. They'd also keep this naming scheme for Cortana, named after the legendary sword 'curtana'/'curtain' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortain or maybe this ceremonial one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtana

Of course, since swords are cool, other series including anime, would use the name as well.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
also can't wait for the Thirsty Grunt's emotional monologue to win an Emmy

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
and to go further, it's a legendary sword from one of the oldest epic French poems, "La Chanson de Roland". The title character, Roland, was an actual officer in Charlemange's army but was romanticized in this story as a great warrior paladin who held off an advancing Saracen army with his invincable sword, Durandal. He eventualy died, not succumbing to wounds from the legion of Saracen soldiers descending upon him, but because he blew his horn to call for back up from the Franks so hard he ruptured the blood vessels in his head and killed himself.

Fun story!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also one of the Halo games has an AI named "Roland" so maybe someone at Bungie really likes French literature?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They like French literature and Tolkien. Foehammer is the common name of Gandalf's sword Glamdring. And of course Spirit of Fire is the ship named after Fëanor.

Why is Foehammer not in this show. We deliver!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bungie was always the best at naming things.

The names they picked for stuff always stood out in memorable weird ways.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

That was pretty good!

I still don't know where they're going overall with Kwan, but they actually dealt with her being annoyingly angry at everyone, and resolved a gently caress ton of her poo poo I thought was going to just keep dragging out.

It was great to see Soren have his moment and not get killed off, as I thought he was a goner with the setup. The desert mystics who give the hero a drug vision trope really has to stop, its so done to death at this point. Still, seeing an oracle for a brief moment was neat but, man I have no idea what thats all about. Portal? Is that going to be a shortcut to the halo ring and john will need her to interface with 343 or something, like 343 will only listen to her? A way to the Ark? Maybe its something from the extended lore as I only ever played the games up through reach, but I'm very stumped at how that will come in to play. The way they left it though, i feel like kwan and soren won't be in much of the rest of the season if any, which hopefully means thats because theres going to be a ton of poo poo going down in the last 2 episodes.

This show is really picking up on the back half. Or maybe I'm just more positive on this episode because it finally did something with kwan after driving through the slow lane all season..

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Even though how they got into the situation for the big setpiece was incredibly contrived, I still enjoyed that even if ultimately it was a complete waste of Burn Gorman, who lived up to his real name I guess. I certainly wouldn't have expected an episode set almost entirely on the most boring planet with the most boring character would end up being good... but it was!

All that said, I think it's loving hilarious that apparently the UNSC basically went,"Collect all the dead alien bodies, their hyper-advanced weaponry and OUR OWN weaponry including weapons used by our super-soldiers from the battlefield? Nah, I'm sure somebody else will sort it out...."

Maybe it's damning with faint praise, but I'm now happy to say this show is at least better than Foundation.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 5, 2022

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
I think you could completely skip this episode and not miss a thing, apart from the brief oracle/portal reference. What a waste of an episode.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Five minutes into the new episode with Kwan driving through a sand storm and I can’t believe no one on the entire film crew has ever gotten dust in their eyes.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 5, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Burned Gorman :(

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Turra posted:

I think you could completely skip this episode and not miss a thing, apart from the brief oracle/portal reference. What a waste of an episode.

Well, that's not promising! Just turned it on and was greeted with "Previously, on Madrigal, here's some stuff about the character you don't care about on some boring planet that doesn't matter" and it looks like we're not even touching base with John Halo this episode?

I seriously cannot make myself care about any of this poo poo since John dropped Kwan off with Former Spartan. If they wanted to flesh out the human colonies beyond the UNSC, then they should have had the Spartans get in more fight scenes there and use them as the point-of-view characters instead.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 5, 2022

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When the previously on Madrigal came on I knew it was going to be all about Kwan just like last week was all about John and I was just like, “gently caress I have to wait a whole ‘nother week to advance on John’s storyline? Fuuuuuuuuck” but this episode was actually pretty decent. I’m still upset I have to wait another week to see John again but I’m not upset with this episode per se. I think her storyline got more interesting with this episode.

Also I don’t believe you can skip this episode. Very clearly setting up some stuff in a future episode whenever John eventually ends up on Halo Tatooine plus an important character death.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
It's pretty skippable if you aren't into the Kwan storyline/actress whatsoever and can be summarized like,

Kwan and Soren go their separate ways, Kwan gets a space ayahuasca vision to find a (presumably, Halo) portal in her hometown, Soren reunites with her after quelling dissent back home and Kwan fulfils her promise to him of ship and riches after:

Wheeee posted:

Burned Gorman :(

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kill All Cops posted:

It's pretty skippable if you aren't into the Kwan storyline/actress whatsoever and can be summarized like,

Kwan and Soren go their separate ways, Kwan gets a space ayahuasca vision to find a (presumably, Halo) portal in her hometown, Soren reunites with her after quelling dissent back home and Kwan fulfils her promise to him of ship and riches after:

lol gently caress you for proving me wrong. Beautiful summary honestly. :golfclap:

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Just starting the newest episode. Why do film makers forget about wind? Driving in a convertible? Your long hair flies around. Standing in a sandstorm? Your hair should be flying everywhere. Oh and and driving fast into a sandstorm with no goggles or face mask...sand would be ripping your skin off.

Little crap like that always takes me out of a scene.

But overall I am enjoying this show.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

shootforit posted:

Just starting the newest episode. Why do film makers forget about wind? Driving in a convertible? Your long hair flies around. Standing in a sandstorm? Your hair should be flying everywhere. Oh and and driving fast into a sandstorm with no goggles or face mask...sand would be ripping your skin off.

Little crap like that always takes me out of a scene.

But overall I am enjoying this show.

I can’t even ride my motorcycle without glasses on because the wind, clear loving wind, blindes me so it always fucks with me whenever there’s a scene like this. Or even scenes of people riding anything with their eyes exposed. But yeah, I didn’t even think of how a sandstorm could quite literally be violent enough to scar up your face.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah this is probably a "me" problem but it's the little things that can tend to take you out of the moment.

Like the assault rifle Kwan uses being paper-craft light. And the sandstorm details.

The episode was fine as an episode of a tv show but I'm not sure it has much to do with Halo the tv show.

Maybe we'll get to see Kwan's acting range now that she isn't perpetually-angry-girl.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Master Chief jumps down the portal pipe like Mario, emerges in Haloland, Kwan is never seen again

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I was all like "aw man another Kwan episode" but I actually enjoyed it now that she's doing things and actually might have some reason to be in a Halo storyline now.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Burn Gorman's coat was loving magnificent

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

It's funny how that was basically a solid episode of some okay SyFy Channel show that was mashed into the middle of the Halo show. There were some actual well constructed scenes like the ancestor merging vision (if a bit cliche, felt like Avatar/Korra) and Burn Gorman was just hamming it up wonderfully.
I thought it was a lot better to just focus on one plot like this instead of relegating it to a B (or C!) plot like two episodes back when all that happened was that she knocked Soren out and took his new vehicle.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Burn Gorman's coat was loving magnificent

His little head shake to his megaphone-holding flunkie after saying Kwan could surrender unharmed made the entire episode. RIP Burn Gorman, you were too good for this horrible plotline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kinda hilarious how the badass assassin who appeared completely out of nowhere for two scenes, including the still shocking and haunting murder of everybody's favorite character Kwan's Aunt Whose Existence Literally Only Got Announced 10 Minutes Before She Was Murdered, is apparently just.... gone from the show? I mean maybe she'll show up again in the power vacuum left behind by Burn Gorman but the whole butt hot springs scene with her feels incredibly weird(er) in retrospect if she was a one-and-done before being replaced by "Pete".

Anyway, the bigger problem is that now the people of Madrigal are going to go hungry, because Burn Gorman isn't there anymore to deliver all that ham.