Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, the new stanley parable is framed as a remaster but it's basically a sequel with a bunch of new content. it's really good and worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Screaming Idiot posted:

On one hand, Kim is the best sidekick character in any RPG. On the other hand, he is a Cop, a Bastard by definition. Harry is a Bastard, and that is why he is a Cop.

On the one hand, the RCM isn’t technically the police, since they’re a self-organized peace corp that’s only loosely tolerated by the Coalition that’s occupying Revachol. The RCM is also implied to be descended from the army of the Commune of Revachol, who were all commies. On the other, simpler hand, it’s a fictional setting and therefore it can be a magical world where some cops are okay

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

gently caress, this thread is making me want to play DE again, goddamnit

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kit Walker posted:

On the one hand, the RCM isn’t technically the police, since they’re a self-organized peace corp that’s only loosely tolerated by the Coalition that’s occupying Revachol. The RCM is also implied to be descended from the army of the Commune of Revachol, who were all commies. On the other, simpler hand, it’s a fictional setting and therefore it can be a magical world where some cops are okay

*points to the "gently caress THE POLICE" sign on the Mother of All Walls*

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

*points to the "gently caress THE POLICE" sign on the Mother of All Walls*

:hmmyes:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

TontoCorazon posted:

gently caress, this thread is making me want to play DE again, goddamnit

I need to give it another go. Seems like every time I try to get into DE I end up failing important rolls leaving me in a spot where I'm not sure how to advance. Mainly at the beginning where the only obvious ways to get into the dock to speak to the union rep is to either knock out Measurehead (unlikely), make yourself racist to appease him (don't want to), or make a specific jump to grab your jacket from a railing which I kept failing. Wanted to try and do a playthrough without guides but I might just look it up next time, I assume there has to be some other way in.

NoEyedSquareGuy has a new favorite as of 23:35 on May 3, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Knocking out Measurehead isn't as hard as you think. There's a few places you can find to give you a boost

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

And even if you fail those checks, there are still a ton of things you can do in the area which can get you more levels you can sink into the skills needed for those checks so you can try again with better odds

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I need to give it another go. Seems like every time I try to get into DE I end up failing important rolls leaving me in a spot where I'm not sure how to advance. Mainly at the beginning where the only obvious ways to get into the dock to speak to the union rep is to either knock out Measurehead (unlikely), make yourself racist to appease him (don't want to), or make a specific jump to grab your jacket from a railing which I kept failing. Wanted to try and do a playthrough without guides but I might just look it up next time, I assume there has to be some other way in.

Technically you don't have to be become racist to appease him. You just need to spend the time mulling over and treating his race theories seriously. You can ultimately still tell him it's nonsense and he'll let you pass.

Granted, this still leaves you with the stain of having seriously entertained his philosophy so I agree it's the Worst Outcome.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just used savoiz faire and made the jump from the roof

Also teleporting later on to the top of the abandoned building

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
In Rogue Legacy 2 there are challenge rooms with chests that only open if you, say, take no damage. There's a room with spikes you have to jump in between to reach the chest. It's a nice simple one compared to some of the others you can get.

if you do it well enough, which is very easy since it's simple jumping, you'll be hit by a fire from hidden geyser just as you reach the last platform, hidden behind the on screen notification that you are not allowed to be hit. Its just a dick move I couldn't not appreciate it.

Or fall for it twice.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I beat disco Elysium today and the ending was kinda a letdown. Everything after the tribunal just felt like fluff which was made worse because when you finally locate the real murderer it implies a much deeper conspiracy at which point everyone goes “ok but the game is over now so let’s wrap it up” and that’s that. Then you get a somewhat disappointing scene that’s nearly identical to the wrap-up in Prey where Kim catalogues your behavior over the course of the game and then that’s it.

Even more irritating, the Phasmid turns out to be unambiguously real (you show people pictures of it), you have a conversation with it and the reality tear in the church is never explained or resolved

The whole thing just felt like they ran out of gas at the end. Stellar writing up to that point though. The spirit bomb finale was amazing. I’m gonna do a HARDCORE playthrough as a meathead fascist idiot now and see how that goes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
What part of the 2mm hole did you not feel was explained/resolved?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Kit Walker posted:

Also it's heavily implied that the police are preparing to either start or support a communist revolution.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

christmas boots posted:

What part of the 2mm hole did you not feel was explained/resolved?

Well I found it. The lady ran her research, we realigned everything and she fired the machine up to the point where it seemed like the building was going to collapse, then Egghead pulled the plug and it was never resolved. The crab man never came back down. The hole was never explained. I had an epic dance session where I forced Kim to join in (amazing) but the hole plot (plot hole lol) line never progressed after that

Phigs posted:

Also it's heavily implied that the police are preparing to either start or support a communist revolution.

That’s implied in a throwaway line at the very end which I think is dependent upon the ideology you choose to support. I feel like that “he’ll side with the people” line is unique to that particular ending and might be different if you make different choices.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 03:10 on May 4, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I thought the subplot being left dangling like that was fine. The game covers a few days of you investigating a murder and the hole is a much more significant and long term development that probably shouldn't get resolved in that time. I like that it remains as this ominous thing you barely understand with unknown consequences.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Frank Frank posted:

I beat disco Elysium today and the ending was kinda a letdown. Everything after the tribunal just felt like fluff which was made worse because when you finally locate the real murderer it implies a much deeper conspiracy at which point everyone goes “ok but the game is over now so let’s wrap it up” and that’s that. Then you get a somewhat disappointing scene that’s nearly identical to the wrap-up in Prey where Kim catalogues your behavior over the course of the game and then that’s it.

Even more irritating, the Phasmid turns out to be unambiguously real (you show people pictures of it), you have a conversation with it and the reality tear in the church is never explained or resolved

The whole thing just felt like they ran out of gas at the end. Stellar writing up to that point though. The spirit bomb finale was amazing. I’m gonna do a HARDCORE playthrough as a meathead fascist idiot now and see how that goes.

Re: the culprit there is no conspiracy and that's the point. Even after all of the political fallout and bloodshed and mysteries and conspiracies you DO find, ultimately the spark that lit this powder keg is just a broken, forgotten old shellshocked veteran with a rifle and an obsession. He wasn't trying to start a revolution and isn't even aware that he did, he just wanted to kill the man loving the woman he wished he could gently caress.

It seems like it comes out of nowhere, and it's written that way on purpose, but if you replay with that knowledge it's staggering how many clues allude to it. Even the title screen gets in on the action.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ummm There is a conspiracy. The Evrarts used him to kill their Union rivals.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Frank Frank posted:

Well I found it. The lady ran her research, we realigned everything and she fired the machine up to the point where it seemed like the building was going to collapse, then Egghead pulled the plug and it was never resolved. The crab man never came back down. The hole was never explained. I had an epic dance session where I forced Kim to join in (amazing) but the hole plot (plot hole lol) line never progressed after that

That’s implied in a throwaway line at the very end which I think is dependent upon the ideology you choose to support. I feel like that “he’ll side with the people” line is unique to that particular ending and might be different if you make different choices.

I forget exactly what combination of skills (Logic and Conceptualization I think) are required to get this but the short version is that the hole is basically the beginning stage of the Pale, the stuff that's slowly expanding and overtaking the "real" world. Eventually, that hole will expand and become more of the Pale. There's a strong implication that the first settlers Insulinde knew about the hole and specifically built the church around it--that there were other churches suggests that there may be other holes as well including in the Doomed Commercial District, which possibly means it really is cursed. Also rituals like religion or, indeed, Dance clubs, might be able to keep the Pale at bay so in ensuring their success you might be buying the world a little more time.

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

Gaius Marius posted:

Ummm There is a conspiracy. The Evrarts used him to kill their Union rivals.

That's not an important conspiracy though, it had nothing to do with the rest of the story or the important things happening in the game.

Everything you're listing about the ending were the things I liked about it, it fits together really well with the rest of the game. The solution to the mystery was a huge reinforcement of the historical materialist themes of the game, and a reminder that history lives on in our present circumstances and comes back to haunt us even if we pretend it's gone forever.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
at this point it might be better to move to the DE thread proper if people are talking about both big things and things they don't actually like?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah this is getting in the way of Souls discussion

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's actually pretty easy to miss some key exposition of a major setting element, which is one of the most weird and unique things about the setting.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Having not played DE, it was weird to find out it isn't just set in like a fictional city but a whole fantasy universe, apparently the one from The Neverending Story

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

2house2fly posted:

Having not played DE, it was weird to find out it isn't just set in like a fictional city but a whole fantasy universe, apparently the one from The Neverending Story

That was really weird to me. At first playing it I thought, oh, okay this is some strange European city with some peculiar brands and a bit of war history behind it, yeah. Then the more you play and hear about the world beyond Revachol it's like...wait, what's this pale? These factions in countries beyond? All this weird metaphysical poo poo and waaaaait.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Morpheus posted:

That was really weird to me. At first playing it I thought, oh, okay this is some strange European city with some peculiar brands and a bit of war history behind it, yeah. Then the more you play and hear about the world beyond Revachol it's like...wait, what's this pale? These factions in countries beyond? All this weird metaphysical poo poo and waaaaait.

First time I played through I hosed up with the guys in the tent and ended up locking myself out of the church. I had absolutely zero idea of what the pale was until I played my second (1155) playthrough which was disconcerting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Debunk This! posted:

Despite the fact that I've been playing Dark Souls since it came out I only just now found out about this amazing bit of dialogue if you attack the moss merchant in the waterway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcPDadbn8hc

She just lays into you so hard and I love it. :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I know theoretically failing the authority check in the church and calling Kim a slur might be seen as the worst thing you to can do Kim, but personally I think the worst thing I ever did was call into his favorite radio station, say a bunch of fascist poo poo that made everyone mad at me, then ask the DJ to give a shout out to my best friend Kim Kitsuragi, at which point the DJ told us both, on the air, to gently caress off and never listen to his show again
I kicked a mail box and got the "you hit rock bortom with Kim" trophy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/AngieM_Z/status/1504612823896399872?s=20&t=eLjF_jbq5DsZfQfZDvl__w

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Technically you don't have to be become racist to appease him. You just need to spend the time mulling over and treating his race theories seriously. You can ultimately still tell him it's nonsense and he'll let you pass.

Granted, this still leaves you with the stain of having seriously entertained his philosophy so I agree it's the Worst Outcome.

Doesn't he get upset if you examine his philosophy and come to the conclusion I should stop drinking

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
I think he laughs at you and says you'll never be free of Al Gul because you are a pathetic ham sandwich man.

If you come back a few days later after completing the thought cabinet to become sober and start recovery then I think he is really surprised and momentarily doubts his racist theories, but I can't remember for sure.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I stayed sober until it was time to do karaoke, then I blasted everything I had in my inventory and walked on stage with a bottle in each hand

Thankfully I still failed the skill check

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's impressed that you manage to , temporarily at least, kick the habit.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Would you let someone talk about Kim that way? Then why do you talk about yourself that way?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

I stayed sober until it was time to do karaoke, then I blasted everything I had in my inventory and walked on stage with a bottle in each hand

Thankfully I still failed the skill check

But what about in the game?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
who cares what that binoclard thinks?

i do

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kim offered to let me sell his spinning rims but instead I went and begged for money from every npc I could. I won't let you down buddy

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Len posted:

Kim offered to let me sell his spinning rims but instead I went and begged for money from every npc I could. I won't let you down buddy

Getting Kim to talk about his secret car nerd wry is great because it’s clear he was just waiting for someone to bring it up

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Len posted:

I hosed around too much on day one and it was 2am before I finished the autopsy and everyone went to bed so I had no choice but to sell the rims and it broke my heart. Can I buy them back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

marshmallow creep posted:

I hosed around too much on day one and it was 2am before I finished the autopsy and everyone went to bed so I had no choice but to sell the rims and it broke my heart. Can I buy them back?

No.

Also is there any point to all the post cards? I have a bunch of them but accidentally sold one to a pawn shop. Never figured out what they were for.