Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If it is not running it is storage.

Hopefully once I have the engine in the C10 and it is ready for Power Tour I can spend a few weekends putting the Pontiac together. Since the previous one was together and running it should go back without to many issues. Only issues I expect to deal with is mounting the rear coil overs and fitting an exhaust around the steering box which was an issue with long tube headers but I have short ones now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Car Update: The body work is almost done. Last I heard was they’re waiting on the reverse light housing.

They haven’t started the mechanical work yet. :smith:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

OEM EFI saddle tank with a Walbro 255 lph pump installed ready to go into the C10.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Flasher relay in the Ranger. Not surprising since it has 150+. I love this truck though, everything is cheap and easy to fix. Next up is checking/recharging the A/C before it gets hot.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Darchangel posted:

Do you not understand how stationary flat surfaces in garages work?

In my garage it doesn't even have to be stationary to be cluttered with junk. A surface doesn't really have to be flat to accumulate detritus either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PBCrunch posted:

In my garage it doesn't even have to be stationary to be cluttered with junk. A surface doesn't really have to be flat to accumulate detritus either.

Sorry, that should have been “stationary*” “flat**”

*just long enough…
**enough for things to not slide off too often

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

My EFI fuel tank is currently sitting on top of a open plastic crate containing different engine building fluids because I am buried in crap that needs to go on the C10 in the next week or so. Of course that is the ideal scenario as I want time to be able to test the thing before a 4000 mile road trip but we all know the night before I will still be fussing over something.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Darchangel posted:

"Angle of repose" is the operative term here. I'm so glad I've used up a bunch of my project parts for the Honcho and Comanche and given away a bunch of other crap because I'm almost starting to be able to have all my spare parts in eyeshot at the same time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Ugh, this. I can't even get to my chest freezer, it's buried in random crap.

I hear a click from it now and then, hopefully that means it's still cycling on/off.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Budget Friendly Pricing! I am sure the wife would say differently.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

It'll pay for itself in fuel economy savings in 300,000kms, so it all works out.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah. I'm either going sniper on my gm crate motor or just putting an LS in my 57 210 project.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Ugh, this. I can't even get to my chest freezer, it's buried in random crap.

I hear a click from it now and then, hopefully that means it's still cycling on/off.

This is partially why I have an upright, if I'm completely honest. Also so stuff doesn't get buried in the bottom of the freezer.

BigPaddy posted:

It is in comparison to some other options, particularly earlier packaged EFI systems. It is a good value given the level of quality and support, I think.
I think it could stand to be a little cheaper, but I'm a cheapskate to start with.

I've been meaning to put a MegaSquirt on my Cutlass for, like, since MegaSquirt was new (literally - I bought a v1.01 and built it.) By the time I get around to it, even Holley's EFI will be dirt cheap... because everyone went electric instead.
Speeduino is still looking pretty good, too, BTW. Might put one of those on my rotary, once I've got it running on the factory ECU.

edit: I really like that digital dash Holley has to go along with the Sniper, or even standalone.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I looked at most of the available options but in reality there is

Holley/MSD
Fi Tech
Random small companies

Most of the vendor branded stuff for Jegs and Summit seem to be Fi Tech units and are usually lacking in features or need more stuff to make them work. The smaller vendors seem to either have no reviews available of anyone using their product and/or what you do find is a lot of people paying and not getting their order or if they do get it stuff breaks and they can’t get support. Aces EFI is an example of the latter. It was well priced, had good features but I couldn’t find any one who was using it or anything but complaints on social media.

So I went for the expensive but better supported and more feature full option. I might go for the Holley dash eventually since I will be using a GPS speedo unit soon which makes fitting one less work.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

This is partially why I have an upright, if I'm completely honest. Also so stuff doesn't get buried in the bottom of the freezer.

Uprights use more power, plus you need space in front of them to open them. We have 13 garages + 8 storage rooms split among two 20 amp breakers in my building (all with garage door openers, several with chest freezers and other poo poo); the breaker gets tripped occasionally. The chest freezer will hold temp for a good 1-2 days in the summer (and I would have noticed the power was out when my cameras drop offline - luckily our main maintenance guy has the garage next to mine, he showed me where the house breakers are when I mentioned it one day; one of my cameras watches the entrances to both garages, since both have been burglarized).

Some of the exterior lighting is on the same breakers too. :sigh: Luckily it's mostly LED at this point (a little bit of CFL left). Garage lighting is almost all 100-150W equivalent CFL, storage rooms are a mix of whothefuckknows (mine had a 40W incandescent originally).

It's a pain to get to the bottom, but I keep a list of what's in it and try to be smart about how I load it. It pulls a whopping 45 watts while running too, according to my Kill-A-Watt (it's a R600A unit tho, so hardly anything to the compressor).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 29, 2022

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Going to check in with the shop on Monday. Someone in the Bimmer thread got a new dark green BMW and it hurts so much. :smith:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I forgot my rental is a CVT today. :cry:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Removal and tear down day for the overheating SBC. Looks cleanish for a 30+ year old engine but wait what’s this!

Every water passage between the head and blocked by crusty brown crap so this thing was run a long time on tap water. So long that it corroded out the head gasket.

Also on the odd bank which is where a lot of white smoke was coming out of the exhaust with water when warm the center head bolts were might tighter than the other which caused the gasket between 3 and 5 to balloon out and with the corrosion from the straight water caused compression to leak out into the cooling system and let water into the cylinders.

Cylinder walls have a decent glaze on them so this thing needs to come apart to be deglazed anyway. It does have provisions for a roller cam and there is still a chance it is 4 bolt. If it is then I likely will keep it and make something silly with it else either I can take it back to where I got the Vortec to use as a core or just see if someone wants it on FB/Craigslist.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
Been overhauling my 82 dodge rampage with a lot of guidance from the greybeards at turbododge. This weekend i dropped the tank, pulled all the crumbling rubber out, cleaned the tank out, checked for pinholes (tanks actually pretty good!!), scrubbed the FSU (might sandblast and throw some coating on it), and ordered parts.

Taking it easy today, but this week i'll finish weatherpoofing, get a rubber sheet to throw between the tank and the body, and order new fuel rubber fuel lines.

I'd like to blast something through the metal fuel lines that go through the body. Do y'all have a favorite brand? She's been sitting for a while and i have no idea what the PO's did or didn't, so i'm going scorched earth.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Well I got the ZF6 back on the super duty. Bolted it back up last Sunday morning with a new pilot bushing, release fork, and pivot and then had to stop because my back couldn't take any more.

I put the crossmember under it with a new mount on Monday night after work, which was stupid. I should have just left it on the transmission jack with a prop and safety strap till this weekend. I didn't even get my boots off Monday night before falling asleep on the couch.

Got the driveline, starter, cooler lines, and everything else back on this morning.

I'm gonna give it a little bit before I test it to mentally prepare myself for figuring out the next steps if the disengagement issue isn't fixed.

(also the hpop is now leaking into the valley at full pressure lol. at least none of it got on the clutch and I did put in the valley drain tube this time)

e: it seems to be fixed

Yerok fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 1, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
are your hpop supply hoses new? if not....

(man this fucker just keeps kicking you in the dick)

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I like 7.3's, I'm a masochist. They are not new, but after cleaning and watching it looks to be either the non serviceable plug or the IPR.

I will investigate further, and if it's the plug I'll just do the oil system overhaul I was eventually going to do anyway.

Melling lpop and t500 hpop to make sure it won't just gently caress up the set of injectors it will probably get this summer.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Full Collapse posted:

Going to check in with the shop on Monday.

Car goes in for an alignment tomorrow. :unsmith:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

New rears arrived. Picked them off the Corvette forum with less than 100 miles on them. Getting them installed tomorrow.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
3000GT: New wheel bearings and seals in the rear. Both sides because why not, they're cheap.

Then, figure out why my driver window was getting sticky.... oh.

At least I had a spare regulator/motor assembly. The window doesn't sit quite right, but I'll have to get a new assembly soon anyway, so I'll fine tune it then. Next up is a power steering pump on the Subaru, then a new starter power/ground cable harness for the Mitsubishi.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VR4? I always wanted one as a 16 year old that in no way could afford it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Absolutely. And I'm 40 and still not sure I can afford it. But at least I've kept up on the maintenance debt, and having most of a parts car stripped down and packed away in boxes helps. Plus only driving it 2k miles a year or less.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

You're such a hero. Please keep that on the road.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Full Collapse posted:

Like that one craigslist post said:

quote:

Although the miles seem high there is very little wrong, the work has been done by a DSM driver of who’s dsm still runs, which speaks volumes more than some silly ASE certification.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Full Collapse posted:

Amen.

I had a dsm in college that I had to fix every time I came home. It taught me (repeatedly) how to work on cars and I'm grateful for that. I still miss those dumb cars sometimes.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Today I swapped the PS pump in the Subaru, only to find out the new replacement pump is loud as poo poo even after bleeding all the air out. No pictures, because I was too rushed. Hopefully the warranty pump is here before the end of the week, and not a piece of poo poo like the first one.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
cleaned tank, coated outside, bought new rubber fuel lines, measured and cut them to replace. once my replacement parts get here I'll reinstall it all and I'll have a completely refreshed fuel system!

need a parts carb tho. I'll get one next week.

next? maybe check vacuum system or power plant compression.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

PitViper posted:

Today I swapped the PS pump in the Subaru, only to find out the new replacement pump is loud as poo poo even after bleeding all the air out. No pictures, because I was too rushed. Hopefully the warranty pump is here before the end of the week, and not a piece of poo poo like the first one.

Be super careful with the O-rings and give them a close look. I've had pumps make a racket because they're pulling in the smallest amount of air on the suction line.

Take a look and see if you have bubbles in the reservoir. Might be a junk pump but always good to double check.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, I was watching for bubbles in the tank, nothing. The old pump was slowly leaking fluid all over, otherwise I'd have left it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Subaru used to love using an o-ring on the inlet line that cracks over time, makes it noisy as all hell. It's inside the hose IIRC?

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022
Towed this home on the weekend.

Going to sit in the shed for at least 4-5 months until I can get started on it but I'm thinking going capable overlander that can get up the occasional river bank or rockfall without going full crawler. There's some rust around the tailgate that's in there pretty bad, visible rust around the rear windows is surprisingly light, frame is very good, engine is very tired but runs. I'm going to explore my options with that, depending on budget it might be anywhere between an LS or a Toyota VD engine. I might end up cutting the back of it off and converting it into a ute, depending on how bad the tailgate is once I get it taken apart.

It spent the last 18 years of its life in a paddock in central Victoria, and was spotted by my mother who purchases deceased estates. They were going to pay someone to tow it away, and she said "oh my son will do that for free".

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

:aaaaa:

What engine does it have? Which transmission?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

fullerene posted:

Towed this home on the weekend.

Going to sit in the shed for at least 4-5 months until I can get started on it but I'm thinking going capable overlander that can get up the occasional river bank or rockfall without going full crawler. There's some rust around the tailgate that's in there pretty bad, visible rust around the rear windows is surprisingly light, frame is very good, engine is very tired but runs. I'm going to explore my options with that, depending on budget it might be anywhere between an LS or a Toyota VD engine. I might end up cutting the back of it off and converting it into a ute, depending on how bad the tailgate is once I get it taken apart.

It spent the last 18 years of its life in a paddock in central Victoria, and was spotted by my mother who purchases deceased estates. They were going to pay someone to tow it away, and she said "oh my son will do that for free".

Cool mom

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

Advent Horizon posted:

:aaaaa:

What engine does it have? Which transmission?

It's the HJ60, from 1983, 4.0L non-turbo diesel with the 5-speed manual behind it. It apparently last ran in December 2020 before I nabbed it, so I wasn't a hundred percent sure about the fuel, but with a jump pack and some patience, it started for long enough to drive onto the trailer.

I'm a teacher, so with the start of school term now I definitely won't have any time to work on it before the holidays, and then with the holidays being in the depths of winter, I probably won't want to work on it in an unheated garage. It can wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Very nice. I just installed the same transmission into my FJ62. I love these things.