Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah, Dave has a real nasty streak that Jordan lacks and drifts into a nutty conspiracy world that I think all the Alex Jones has pushed Jordan away from. Dave's got a brainworms thing going on that makes some Dollops hard to listen to now.

thats kinda why i drifted away from the dollop. like i dont fully disagree with dave but he gets super loving intense with a hair trigger and it just reminds me of one of my uncles who while a genuinly goodish man, is just a massive massive rear end in a top hat who alienates everyone around him. staring into the abyss/trump/covid/twitter/his dad hosed dave up hard.

anyway Kissinger episodes are great. i was surprised how nihilistic Kissinger was. it shouldnt be shocking but holy gently caress. like meets that baron von stucker looking dude in the army and goes full monster. i think he was always mildly sociopathic or something and his various hosed up child hood incidents laid out the train tracks.

Hraathgar posted:

I've been listening to these episodes and are were sure that Kissinger isn't a lich? My suspicions were raised in the first episode when it was revealed that the dude read books weird. Seems like a wizard to me. We just gotta figure out where his phylactery is.

yeah, he probably found some grimoire and bound some daemons. that or they bound him. either way i am pretty sure there is like a long que to claim his soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I was not prepared for just how fucky things get at the start of episode 5 of Kissinger. I don't think preparation was possible.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So, who’s island can I hunt and eat children?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mrfart posted:

So, who’s island can I hunt and eat children?

Blue Apron.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The podcast introduced me to the podcast Nonsense Bazarre and, wow does St. Germain keep popping up on it. His myth coming up is as established on that show as the CIA is with Bastards.

I hope he brings the hosts on to guest on an episode about cults. Any cult will do.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 21, 2022

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

RandomPauI posted:

The podcast introduced me to the podcast Nonsense Bizarre and, wow does St. Germain keep popping up on it. His myth coming up is as established on that show as the CIA is with Bastards.

I hope he brings the hosts on to guest on an episode about cults. Any cult will do.

Went looking for this, and assuming you mean the Nonsense Bazaar, gonna add it to the list!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yup, the latest episode is about the St Germaine foundation. If the host disappear, it'll be because of their reporting on that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I listened to the first two episodes and the hosts seemed to be buying into the conspiracy sort of mindset a little uncomfortably - is this a bit I'm not picking up on or is it entirely just me or does it go away? the topic interests me but that's a major turnoff

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been jumping to random episodes as the mood hits, the vibe I get is that they want to believe in spirituality, but they also want to call out liars, con artists, fascist cult leaders, etc.

So I'll hear, say, a light episode about a compulsive liar who definitely made up a ton of stories about hanging out with his new alien best friends. And then a heavy episode about the fascist origins of the I Am movement and it's awful founders. And then an episode about a pulp fiction writer who inspired a lot of people into believing in underground robots trying to manipulate people.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

hmm, okay. Sounds tolerable enough, I'll keep going. I love learning about things people believe.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

RandomPauI posted:

The podcast introduced me to the podcast Nonsense Bazarre and, wow does St. Germain keep popping up on it. His myth coming up is as established on that show as the CIA is with Bastards.

He ought to be. The real-world St. Germain was one of history's great grifters, and that was before the Theosophists glommed onto him and decided he was an ascended master. If you've got a conspiracy theory that involves 1700s European high society to any extent and St. Germain isn't in a prominent role, your conspiracy theory is flawed.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

I've been jumping to random episodes as the mood hits, the vibe I get is that they want to believe in spirituality, but they also want to call out liars, con artists, fascist cult leaders, etc.

So I'll hear, say, a light episode about a compulsive liar who definitely made up a ton of stories about hanging out with his new alien best friends. And then a heavy episode about the fascist origins of the I Am movement and it's awful founders. And then an episode about a pulp fiction writer who inspired a lot of people into believing in underground robots trying to manipulate people.

I think Robert mostly wants to give people the benefit of the doubt as much as he can, partly out of sympathy for people who were in difficult situations and became perpetuating victims (like in a lot of the cults) but also to avoid supporting the idea of "just bad folks doing bad things".

One of the unfortunate patterns is someone who seems fine or at least fairly harmless and then transitions into being awful and I think Robert likes to push that these people ended up doing horrible things because of a combination of selfishness, greed, recklessness, lack of pushback (or in some cases aid) from authorities, and general societal conditions.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 22, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

I think Robert mostly wants to give people the benefit of the doubt as much as he can, partly out of sympathy for people who were in difficult situations and became perpetuating victims (like in a lot of the cults) but also to avoid supporting the idea of "just bad folks doing bad things".

One of the unfortunate patterns is someone who seems fine or at least fairly harmless and then transitions into being awful and I think Robert likes to push that these people ended up doing horrible things because of a combination of selfishness, greed, recklessness, lack of pushback (or in some cases aid) from authorities, and general societal conditions.

thats kinda why i love his stuff so much. most of these ghouls arnt born evil or whatever. poo poo either happens to them or they take wrong lessons from their lives or money rots their brain or hubris and bigotry takes over everything. banality of evil is a real thing. like i have seen poo poo like that happen in my family with an uncle and i can see it happening even more with another uncle who is falling for HARD RIGHT QANON poo poo. he was always chuddy but trump and other poo poo made him worse and now its insane ravings now but he is smart enough to do bad poo poo if the thoughts entered his head or some bad poo poo happened him.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 23, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I decided I needed more :crackping: in my life so I've started listening to Behind the Police and after four episodes we have reached full :unsmigghh:

Thank God for Robert's soothing voice, Prop's contagious laugh and "no, wait, I need to tell the listener how much to brace for the poo poo you're about to say" attitude, and Sophie's reigning in the shitstorm that is this podcast.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

thecluckmeme posted:

I decided I needed more :crackping: in my life so I've started listening to Behind the Police and after four episodes we have reached full :unsmigghh:

Thank God for Robert's soothing voice, Prop's contagious laugh and "no, wait, I need to tell the listener how much to brace for the poo poo you're about to say" attitude, and Sophie's reigning in the shitstorm that is this podcast.

Not gonna lie, Behind the Police was rough listening, and I don't even live the US. The sheer anger at injustice coming through Prop's voice at times is raw as hell.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Warden posted:

Not gonna lie, Behind the Police was rough listening, and I don't even live the US. The sheer anger at injustice coming through Prop's voice at times is raw as hell.

I thought Episode 4 was going to be a breeze to listen to because it's just about police unions. How bad could that be? oh, we're talking about the specific actions police unions took to solidify their ability to continue to kill POC without consequences, and Prop relates his lived experience growing up around those policies that threaten his life :smith:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

thecluckmeme posted:

I thought Episode 4 was going to be a breeze to listen to because it's just about police unions. How bad could that be? oh, we're talking about the specific actions police unions took to solidify their ability to continue to kill POC without consequences, and Prop relates his lived experience growing up around those policies that threaten his life :smith:

Listening to how US police are trained, and how they use force, and get away with it always terrifies and angers me.

See, in my home country of 5.5 million people, which ranks tenth in the list of firearms per capita, the cops have killed ten people in the 2000s. That's ten people in total in the entire country in 21 years. The cops are trained to de-escalate instead of just shooting if they feel stressed, and they know that every time a cop fires a gun, it will be investigated properly, and they will be charged if it was unjustified (I felt scared for my life is not an acceptable reason to shoot someone), and the person whose call that is the attorney general of the entire country, so good loving luck trying to intimidate her to drop the case.

When an incel did a terror strike where he killed one woman and wounded several more near my hometown, the cops took him alive by shooting him in the leg, which they are trained to do. And they only shot him when he refused multiple orders to surrender and he was close enough to actually reach them, and one cop was hurt as she put a bullet in his leg.

Warden fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 28, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just a heads up that is probably very much needed, CZM and Margaret Killjoy are starting a new show on the network called Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff and Robert is the first guest. It sounds like it's still not 100 happy fun time since the Cool People were martyrs, it's still more like the Christmas BtB episodes.

bawk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 2, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Nice. Might be a sign of something that I recognized Sophie from the first giggle, thinking "oh nice, she's producing this show too."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Me: "Huh, today's ep description says 'Just Listen'. I wonder what...oh...oooooooooooh"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

... we share a birthday. huh. not the same year, but the same day.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh I heard KF and paused. This is gonna be an episode, isn’t it?

E:

teen witch fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 10, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Goons listening to this weeks episode

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hoo boy, this is going to be one of those rides where I know the destination and I am carefully watching how Robert is going to thread this needle and land safely :dogstare:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

a good handling so far I think - I hate that the story really does require such a thorough discussion of her but he's not wrong that it's a critical starting ground

the description of her early family situation and lack of good adult modelling too hits very close to home - my irl socialization and autism are such that she's very much "there but for the grace of god" figure for me, substitute grace of god with having internal plumbing and a strong desire to not be a lovely person.

it's a really powerful unraveling, I think, of how easy it is, or was, to justify to oneself what makes an acceptable target

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
My eyes nearly bugged out of my skull when I found out who the topic was.

loving yikes

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Yeah, I had completely forgotten about her until (spoiling to avoid hinting at the topic) Trash Taste interviewed the guy who runs a YouTube channel who documents her (which I assume that was the 200 hour documentary Robert was referring to) shortly after she was arrested, and I think Robert handled it way better that that guy when talking about her

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Hella lol at the text and title.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I had completely forgotten about her until (spoiling to avoid hinting at the topic) Trash Taste interviewed the guy who runs a YouTube channel who documents her (which I assume that was the 200 hour documentary Robert was referring to) shortly after she was arrested, and I think Robert handled it way better that that guy when talking about her

christ, is it about who i think it is? i havent heard about them until the Bad thing. i remember following the whole horror show way way too much in high school because i was a sad weird kid, got into way to many bad crowds in that path. hope she finally gets some actual help.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm just gonna guess Chrischan

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

christ, is it about who i think it is? i havent heard about them until the Bad thing. i remember following the whole horror show way way too much in high school because i was a sad weird kid, got into way to many bad crowds in that path. hope she finally gets some actual help.

It's not about that specifically as far as I can tell, it's more about how the internet is a bastard and this is one of the original cases of gang stalking going from schizophrenic fantasy to horrible reality

Although the end of today's episode does not at all make me comfortable for Thursdays episode, because Robert either has enough gas in the can to make a three parter or we are going to crash land into recent events that are NOT GOOD

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I'm just gonna guess Chrischan

Well, she's not the bastard, though theres no pretense being held by anyone that she isnt a bastard. If theres a specific bastard here it's kiwifarms (and if there isnt, then our bastard is the fact that the internet is a place where that sort of harassment campaign can thrive)... but there's no telling that story without starting with her.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

neongrey posted:

Well, she's not the bastard, though theres no pretense being held by anyone that she isnt a bastard. If theres a specific bastard here it's kiwifarms (and if there isnt, then our bastard is the fact that the internet is a place where that sort of harassment campaign can thrive)... but there's no telling that story without starting with her.

yeah as some one who read the loving wiki for way to long and hung out with lovely adjacent people and just watched alot of the videos/etc, its a whole loving horror show of bastards, shes a bastard but alot of that is from hosed up parents who didnt know how to help with their various mental illnesses/atypical behaviors and basically let the horror show continue because they were like 50 when they had her and didnt know how to do poo poo, that and the whole thing attracted tons of weird sad fucks who make her look normal. i know a bunch of poo poo leaked out post BAD THING about the current people trying to be lead trolls and it was some college lady with a history of animal abuse and uber wealthy parents and probable psychopathy. also it spawned god knows how many awful communities and weird spin offs attempts to create a new chris chan. that being said. i dont think she got tricked into doing that BAD THING, i think she legit decided on that mixed with her brain just snapping with all the weird delusional dimensional poo poo. whole thing is loving depressing

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 11, 2022

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Despite being on this site since 2005, I somehow didn’t know anything about Chris Chan aside from the name.

Pretty sure I’m worse off now. Though I guess that’s the Behind the Bastards guarantee.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

Despite being on this site since 2005, I somehow didn’t know anything about Chris Chan aside from the name.

Pretty sure I’m worse off now. Though I guess that’s the Behind the Bastards guarantee.

yeah pretty much. i think whats loving nuts and depressing is chris is probably one of the most documented/"documented" people alive outside maybe leaders of countries/uber famous people. its loving nuts

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is worst year ever on pause or something? This Bernie/jfk episode is kinda annoying to listen to, and I’m unsure if they have an announcement at the end of the ep

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Is worst year ever on pause or something? This Bernie/jfk episode is kinda annoying to listen to, and I’m unsure if they have an announcement at the end of the ep

they moved to a different podcast basicaly called it could happen here. its ok.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zugzwang posted:

I also had no idea about Chris Chan until vaguely hearing stuff when the Tucker Carlson story happened. Quite the ride.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

You gotta wonder how things would have gone if she had a different upbringing, maybe she'd have always been a hosed up individual but it really seems like the parents couldn't figure out how to raise a severely autistic child.

Somewhat controversial but I would very much like everyone involved with kiwi farms to die in a loving fire.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

rotinaj posted:

I think at this point it's on borrowed time. The original plan behind WYE was to go to political events during the 2020 election, but then Covid happened, it became another news podcast, and then they all got busy with their other projects that cover the same topics. They're stretched thin, and unless they shift the focus of the podcast again, I don't see it sticking around.

Testekill posted:

You gotta wonder how things would have gone if she had a different upbringing, maybe she'd have always been a hosed up individual but it really seems like the parents couldn't figure out how to raise a severely autistic child.

Somewhat controversial but I would very much like everyone involved with kiwi farms to die in a loving fire.

:hmmyes: