Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The heck is a sugoi smartphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So I've been reading a kinda old-ish one.

Diamond Delinquent/ Kongoh Banchou has been a pretty fun Fist of the North Star but in High School manga. Remembered a screen cap of someone wandering into a house holding either a car or motorcycle and so I went looking for it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

So I've been reading a kinda old-ish one.

Diamond Delinquent/ Kongoh Banchou has been a pretty fun Fist of the North Star but in High School manga. Remembered a screen cap of someone wandering into a house holding either a car or motorcycle and so I went looking for it.

:psyduck: I just randomly decided to go read a few chapters earlier and was surprised it got an ENG name.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I guess someone went back and licensed it after Seven Deadly Sins got popular.

Which is good! It's the better series anyway.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Isn't that the PSP game that about deliquent fights that turned into an otome game manga.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The heck is a sugoi smartphone

Great/wonderful smartphone. I assume the protagonist will have a smartphone with special powers of some sort.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Isn't that the PSP game that about deliquent fights that turned into an otome game manga.

I think you're thinking of Kenka Bancho Otome.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Great/wonderful smartphone. I assume the protagonist will have a smartphone with special powers of some sort.

Yep. Supposedly it can search for anything. We don't know much about it, but it's not looking too promising from the little we do know.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

How the gently caress is ayashimon on the bottom, jump card responders must have poo poo taste

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

How the gently caress is ayashimon on the bottom, jump card responders must have poo poo taste

Yeah, it's always near the bottom for some reason (along with Shugomaru, which has a clearer reason to be at the bottom as a one-joke gag manga - unless it's improved since I last read it, which I doubt). Fortunately the author of Ayashimon seems to be moving the story towards a natural conclusion; hopefully they'll let it finish instead of cancelling it. Maruo got a powerup, the protagonists took over the Todoroki Alliance, the Enma Syndicate took out the B-Star Host Club, and now the protagonists are fighting the Kori Hotel. That leaves just the fight against the Enma Syndicate after this.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 4, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It's even odder because it's selling pretty well. Better than PPPPPP, and much, much better than Doron or Shugimaru, which can't move for crap.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It's even odder because it's selling pretty well. Better than PPPPPP, and much, much better than Doron or Shugimaru, which can't move for crap.

Hopefully Shugomaru is providing the other series with a cushion against cancellation, then.

What really baffles me is that Blue Box, the series where nothing ever happens, still remains in the middle of the pack. I guess it's relatable to the target audience in a way that provides a contrast to the overt escapism of the other manga?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Blue Box is def a strong middle-of-the-pack style manga. it's unlike anything that's been in the lineup recently or since and offers a nice breather among everything else, plus there's not really any week where i've not found it pleasant. i guess it wouldn't surprise me if Ayashimon's rather flat start hurt it, and sometimes thems the breaks even if you start to hit interesting or funny beats like we have since Maruo put the Todoroki Alliance in line. toc tea leaves seem pointless to me though!

the real exciting news is definitely Mashle heading towards a conclusion

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh, and Shugomaru would've gotten my full-throated support something like three weeks ago? but it has really been in a rut with this new secondary cast of horrible children. if having one or two laughs a chapter is enough to keep a gag manga going i think it can muddle through until it hits another hot streak.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I really enjoy Blue Box and it's the first thing I slam every sunday :kiddo:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Hopefully Shugomaru is providing the other series with a cushion against cancellation, then.

What really baffles me is that Blue Box, the series where nothing ever happens, still remains in the middle of the pack. I guess it's relatable to the target audience in a way that provides a contrast to the overt escapism of the other manga?

Blue Box has gorgeous art, likable characters, and astounding sales figures. It's the opposite of a mystery that it's doing well. And things are slowly happening. Hina's admitted that she likes Taiki, Taiki and Chinatsu have lost the big tournaments they were in, and Chinatsu is realizing that she is interested in Taiki, with their struggles to figure out how to express their feelings without making it awkward forming the center of the manga, step by step.

It's low-key, but it's one of my favorites in Jump right now.

(It also has the advantage of being very distinct from everything else in Jump. If you like action, you'll probably vote for MHA, Jujutsu, or Sakamoto, making it harder for Ayashimon to get on the card. Meanwhile, if you like romance and low-key interpersonal stories, then Blue Box is the only game in town.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Blue Box has gorgeous art, likable characters, and astounding sales figures. It's the opposite of a mystery that it's doing well. And things are slowly happening. Hina's admitted that she likes Taiki, Taiki and Chinatsu have lost the big tournaments they were in, and Chinatsu is realizing that she is interested in Taiki, with their struggles to figure out how to express their feelings without making it awkward forming the center of the manga, step by step.

(It also has the advantage of being very distinct from everything else in Jump. If you like action, you'll probably vote for MHA, Jujutsu, or Sakamoto, making it harder for Ayashimon to get on the card. Meanwhile, if you like romance and low-key interpersonal stories, then Blue Box is the only game in town.)

I guess more stuff has been happening in it lately; fair enough. But it definitely went through a phase where almost every chapter ended with either a cliffhanger that went nowhere or one of the protagonists losing a mostly-offscreen game.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

High school family is better at those things

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

HSF hasn't been doing much with its romances, the art is solidly serviceable, and its likeable characters are all turned up to 11 vs BB having pretty grounded normal teens

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Remember the ToS isn't a ranking system.

Sometimes they put stuff in different parts of the book for any number of various reasons.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

I really enjoy Blue Box and it's the first thing I slam every sunday :kiddo:

blue box is good

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

blue box is good

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Super Eyepatch Wolf's new State of Shonen Jump vid just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNptk8Q70QQ

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't have anything against SEW but those videos tend to feed into several really dumb perceptions about SJ that crop up all the time even in this thread, like the ToC order being popularity rankings.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf's new State of Shonen Jump vid just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNptk8Q70QQ

I still love that the same week Nine Dragons (finally) had a DRAMATIC BASEBALL SHOWDOWN, Me and Roboco also had a dramatic baseball showdown, that was much better at being a baseball manga, while also being a ridiculous barrage of gags.

Just such a show of dominance. Gorilla Gachi is seldom so savage.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arist posted:

I don't have anything against SEW but those videos tend to feed into several really dumb perceptions about SJ that crop up all the time even in this thread, like the ToC order being popularity rankings.

Is there some semi-official source for how the Shonen Jump ToC actually works? Because it seems to be conventional wisdom that it's basically popularity rankings, with some exceptions like manga with color pages not being ranked.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Is there some semi-official source for how the Shonen Jump ToC actually works? Because it seems to be conventional wisdom that it's basically popularity rankings, with some exceptions like manga with color pages not being ranked.

Bakuman tends to be the common basis for the assumptions. It has a lot about how other factors go into the TOC (different editors have different taste, you might want to close with a gag or keep the pervier stuff deep in the manga, one bad week isn't enough to move a winning title to the back) that people tend to minimize, but from interviews and past cancellations it seems that it's a decent metric for us to see behind the scenes, as far as it goes.

Sure, you get exceptions, but in general, a title that's doing well in the TOC is doing well in reader surveys, and a title doing poorly in the TOC is doing poorly on reader surveys.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
One of the One Piece SBS was about this

One Piece Volume 47 posted:

D: Oda-sensei!! My brother says that the order of the manga in Jump is decided by popularity. Is that true? (by Yasumo)

O: That's a fitting suspicion for a Jump reader. Since I get these fairly often, allow me to answer. To be precise, not quite. The order is decided every week by the Jump sub-chief editor. But it's true that the most popular series are placed in the front of the magazine. Also, sometimes he decides, we're pushing THIS one this week! I guess you could say it's the "order you could enjoy the magazine in". But of course, the only TRULY correct answer is to read it in the order YOU want.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wonder how the chapters being online now affect standings? Do the jump editors even pay attention to those numbers?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Supposedly MangaPlus views are taken into consideration for survival/anime adaptations/etc.

Also who the gently caress is Oda kidding? Being at the back of the magazine as anything but a gag manga is death. We've seen it over and over and over.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Supposedly MangaPlus views are taken into consideration for survival/anime adaptations/etc.

Also who the gently caress is Oda kidding? Being at the back of the magazine as anything but a gag manga is death. We've seen it over and over and over.

Oda doesn't say anything against that. He just downplays it, while confirming the general belief is mostly accurate.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah, all I get from Oda's response is "It's a factor, but it's not the only factor"

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
People seem to really love Blue Box, but I just get stuck on the fact that it's about middle school-aged kids, not in like a weird way but in a "struggling to take the romantic emotions of children seriously" way. How do you get past that wall? CAN you get past it?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bible Ian Black posted:

People seem to really love Blue Box, but I just get stuck on the fact that it's about middle school-aged kids, not in like a weird way but in a "struggling to take the romantic emotions of children seriously" way. How do you get past that wall? CAN you get past it?

I don't think it expects you to take them all that seriously anyway. It's not that melodramatic a series.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah Blue box works as like a semi realistic take on it, like people have mostly human realistic reactions to poo poo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Taiki is too much of a dweeb for it to be very serious imo. i wouldn't say i'm invested in the romance and its progress so much as i'm invested in seeing the characters bounce around and finding them entertaining

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bible Ian Black posted:

They're high-schoolers, not middle schoolers.

Chinatsu just turned 17 in the birthday chapter.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Arist posted:

Any perception Jump puts out is on them for being the most inexplicable comic editoral this side of Marvel.

And to be fair to SWE he used a far more solid metric this time. That of GN sales.
The only problem with that is that numbers only come out several weeks after the first TOCs.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 8, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
usually the best metric is volume sales, though sometimes something weird goes on behind the scenes and a manga that sells well still gets canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

They're high-schoolers, not middle schoolers.

Chinatsu just turned 17 in the birthday chapter.

I mean if we really want to be realistic with it, most high school relationships don't last amyways so the point still stands :v:

Really my main gripe with the romance is it me wr goes anywhere. I get that romance series kind of need that to happen, they're often build on the will-they-won't-they thing. But it's just so old and tires that I can't really get invested despite liking the characters. Every time the series tries to build tension with the romance, I just don't care cus I know it's not going to pay it off.

Granted I haven't read the last 5 or 6 chapters, maybe something has developed in that time?