Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Splinter posted:

Have they mentioned anything about the OW2 arcade modes yet? I'd be surprised if there's no MH in the OW2 arcade. Even now in the beta you can play MH via the custom games menu. I agree that games could get ugly if a team rolls something like 3 new tanks and 2 healers. Maybe they'll have some rules to prevent that? However, that's kinda always been just something you have to deal with when playing MH. You just have to hope that at some point your team rolls a comp that's even more OP. In OW1 they never put in rules that would prevent knowingly unbalanced comps (e.g. a team could still roll multiple of a single hero, which was removed very early on from regular OW), so I wouldn't be surprised if they do nothing for MH balance in OW2. It seems unlikely that we'd see multiple versions of MH in the playlist. It's already a niche mode so I doubt they'll want to split it into 2 separate queues.
They would be literally insane to not put MH in the OW2 arcade, it is basically guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
blog post on week 1 of the beta:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/overwatch/23801625/overwatch-2-pvp-beta-week-1-developer-blog

It's pretty uninteresting and basically harps on what many people have echoed about things like supports. that said i think their diagnosis on why supports are currently underplayed is either pretty off or not really sustainable - they basically said "well obviously we need to make more supports!". which i guess is true, they do need to do that, but it seems a bit shortsighted.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Adding in more supports (which yes they should do) and making them all really fun to play (which also yeah) will not make people play supports more. Healing is just straight up a role most people do not want to do

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
give all the supports double jump and wallrunning

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
but only the black ones to keep it racist or whatever

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

but only the black ones to keep it racist or whatever

:aochloe:

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

make genji a healer

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Adding in more supports (which yes they should do) and making them all really fun to play (which also yeah) will not make people play supports more. Healing is just straight up a role most people do not want to do

People will absolutely play healers if they're fun, and people will even be useful as Rambo medics that aren't actually teamplaying if you design them right

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Macaluso posted:

Support tends to have longer queues than tank in OW1, so I'm not sure in general it's a role people hate. I think the problem is more that many of them don't feel that great to play in OW2. Some need more mobility, escape and/or self peel with how OW2 plays (especially the new maps). An additional problem with the beta specifically is the supports other than brig are relatively unchanged, while tank/damage has seen more reworks (and a new hero). So people looking to check out the new stuff don't have much reason to queue support.

Adding more supports and making them fun to play will absolutely get more people playing support.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Give Ana a skateboard

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I basically stopped playing non-Lucio supports just because running back from spawn takes too long otherwise and is boring, and you spend a significant amount of time doing that.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
enable friendly fire for supports only and the role would be a lot more tolerable to play as

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Marin Karin posted:

enable friendly fire for supports only and the role would be a lot more tolerable to play as

would get a little confusing with Ana, but I am for it

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

In general I think OW1 support is the most fun role, but I haven't played it in over a year because I'm trying to master tank. OW2 support sounds kind of miserable though. I think it will get better as people realize protecting supports wins matches. I do think support should have the advantage in duels too. Like you better be able to seriously outplay someone if you are on a solo flank.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Support is a blast and people who say it isn't fun or that nobody enjoys it are projecting.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

headcase posted:

In general I think OW1 support is the most fun role, but I haven't played it in over a year because I'm trying to master tank. OW2 support sounds kind of miserable though. I think it will get better as people realize protecting supports wins matches. I do think support should have the advantage in duels too. Like you better be able to seriously outplay someone if you are on a solo flank.

They were called Brigette and Baptiste and everyone loving hated them and the metas they enforced for years at a time. Invalidating an entire class of characters by making them incapable of doing their job (shootmans) because other heroes provide a poo poo ton of team utility and STILL play better shootmans then they do is why OW1 had to create role queue to get people to a actually play more then the same seven heroes that invalidated DPS and even other tanks and supports and at first just created a newer, badder, faster-staling meta because 1/3 of your team was locked into the Bad Role.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Mr. Locke posted:

They were called Brigette and Baptiste and everyone loving hated them and the metas they enforced for years at a time. Invalidating an entire class of characters by making them incapable of doing their job (shootmans) because other heroes provide a poo poo ton of team utility and STILL play better shootmans then they do is why OW1 had to create role queue to get people to a actually play more then the same seven heroes that invalidated DPS and even other tanks and supports and at first just created a newer, badder, faster-staling meta because 1/3 of your team was locked into the Bad Role.

show me where the brig smurf touched your SR

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sakara123 posted:

show me where the brig smurf touched your SR

I was the Brig Smurf. I'm traditionally a support player. I played a poo poo-ton of her from release all the way to when I more or less stopped playing OW and had a blast making GBS threads on all the poor DPS who thought they had a Play of the Game coming. Everyone's carry until they get a shield to the face in our backline. But at the same time it was terrible for the game as a whole and I can freely admit that. DPS being bad as a role because support often did it better was not healthy for OW1 in the slightest.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It occurs to me now that the move speed buff is probably the reason I can't hit poo poo with Mei 's m2 anymore, now that all the leading and prediction I'm doing are wrong. Not getting much value out of her ults anymore either, now that everyone can get out of them 50% faster

Woo new game to learn?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Soldier is what support should look like

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Support is a blast and people who say it isn't fun or that nobody enjoys it are projecting.

:hmmyes:

I like playing Ana even though my aim sucks, and I like playing Moira when I get sick of getting jumped on. Brig and Lucio are fun for encouraging a team to actually press W. I don't play much Mercy, but she's a nice change of pace.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
general thoughts about the game after playing it more, now that a week is up

modes:
robot/push is great. I like that the payload is small and mobile, I see way way less stalling by Lucios and Tracers on it compared to old payload or control maps. the game length is perfect, it feels good knowing how long a match will be and it feels very reactive, since you have plenty of time to get an ult ready, or swap heroes, etc. it made me realize a complaint I had with control maps: if you're getting beat down too hard on a point, sometimes you never have time to swap or do anything and just have to take the L. which yeah that's why you play multiple rounds but robot mode made me think about it more. an actual king of the hill mode where you had to fight over two or three points at once and got points for holding them, and first team to some set amount won would be an interesting twist on control with 5 player teams.

i will actually miss assault or w/e the gently caress they called 2 point maps, but that's only because this game is so starved for content it seems ludicrous to me to remove anything at this point.

roles:
tanks: feel great. nice little soft rock paper scissors dynamic swapping between them. orisa felt really insane at first but now that I know how to play against her I think she might even be a teeny bit underpowered. zarya feels insanely strong every time I try her and roadhog feels great against the flood of doom pickers. speaking of, doomfist still feels really disruptive, but in a very annoying "ah gently caress you tank stop taunting me and let me go!" way and not an unfun to play against way. i went back to a few games of ow1 and playing against OG uppercut one shot doom there was just a total loving buzzkill for my enjoyment of that game (along with all the rest of the CC scattered everywhere like flashbang)

dps: yeah, it's dps. hitscan are a lot better now and in general it feels more fun/easier to ult and make cool poo poo happen now. getting a pick is a bigger deal, you aren't shooting at shields all day. sojourn feels great and is a nice little nod to quake, unreal tournament, and apex legends. she gets quite insane on point assault when teams are clumped in corridors and you can just spam railgun shots into supports while flicking your m1 back to the tank.

support: support probably need to be reworked extensively and either shifted away from healing, or be designed to solo heal a team (with 1 per team set as the limit.) ways to do that probably include reworking/buffing medkits or just making the out of combat regen global (on a much longer cooldown or something than the current support model). either way the passive regen they gave them is such a loving relief for many of the healers (altho it makes me question why shields even exist anymore on heroes like zenyatta)

scoreboard:
i am so loving grateful this exists, it's genuinely such a huge load off my mind when games feel impossible and I pop the scoreboard and see a widowmaker or sojourn with 800 damage done 6 minutes into a round. it's good to know when a game is unwinnable and to just chill and wait for next, instead of going insane trying to figure out what's wrong with your team comp or your own play. maybe it's just the nature of new stuff/quick play but toxicity seems way, way way way lower after playing a ton of ow2.

lack of scoreboard might be the single biggest thing stopping me from enjoying ow1 again.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Make Symmetra a support again that applies shields and poo poo.

[edit] It's been nearly 2 years since I set foot in this thread. :wow:

[edit 2] these queue times are so bad lol

teagone fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 4, 2022

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Bring back armor packs and make Torb a support somehow. Just spitballing here...

I was glad to see yesterday that they've at least acknowledged the current issues with the support role, not sure if that was discussed upthread at all. Just the fact that there's a promise for balance patching and support seemingly being the primary focus of new content as the beta continues makes things feel a little better, and will go a long way towards alleviating queue times. Now we wait and see if they deliver.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Bring back armor packs and make Torb a support somehow. Just spitballing here...

Honestly, 100% this and Symmetra. Rework them again to be supports.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

teagone posted:

Sym with healing turrets from one of the content creator experimental patches was actually pretty fun.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Sym with healing turrets from one of the content creator experimental patches was actually pretty fun.

I liked when Symm could apply shields.

[edit] I had my sickest Sojourn play just now. Nano railgun owns

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WelldocumentedCraftyCobra-mobile.mp4

Also lol at the chat.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Make Sym a support again with a channeled M2 that reduces cooldowns on others' abilities

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

teagone posted:

Yes, bring back 350 hp raidboss tracer, now with extra raidboss Sombra. This will surely make people want to play support!!!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arzachel posted:

Yes, bring back 350 hp raidboss tracer, now with extra raidboss Sombra. This will surely make people want to play support!!!

I SAID REWORK.

Also, I played 12 seasons of competitive as a hardstuck diamond support main. You don't need to tell me how rough it is.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Support Torb, turret now shoots healing at team mates

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Macaluso posted:

FWIW it's not the "healing" part that people don't want to do, it's the difference between the complexity and reward of landing a good shot and the absolute inanity of linking up a heal beam. Ana for instance is fairly fun, and the main frustration comes from the giant friendy-heal hitboxes blocking most kinds of playmaking as well as enforcing a skill floor no matter how badly you suck. And Mercy is the opposite extreme, where interacting with the game, at least for the healing mechanic, is more of a repetitive chore than really cognitively involved.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Imagine a role so depressing that after six years the developers only could come up with seven characters.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
You're poo poo at the game if you think that's all there is to Mercy. I'm bad and peaked at 2550 Mercy and she is not "just connecting beams". I can't imagine how hard it is to play her in Diamond etc

God this thread sucks lmao. Go play Halo or CoD or some poo poo

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Moth Mercy was lol but they gave her a ton of air control when they reworked her and a good Mercy will be juking nerds for days

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

You're poo poo at the game if you think that's all there is to Mercy. I'm bad and peaked at 2550 Mercy and she is not "just connecting beams". I can't imagine how hard it is to play her in Diamond etc

God this thread sucks lmao. Go play Halo or CoD or some poo poo
That's not really what was said or implied, the bigger point is DPS have mechanical "highs" where you feel great even if you have no idea what's actually going on. But yes most people will prefer to play something else instead of playing support in OW that much will happen.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 4, 2022

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mercy can be fun, but only with a team that isn't absolute dogshit. Going full Reddit Mercy and using her ult to fly into backlines to get a few picks is incredibly satisfying, but it also pisses off your team because you're not locked to a tank/Pharah/Soldier's rear end holding down one mouse button. A good Mercy uses her gun, but DPS players can only conceive of her being a healbot and thus don't really understand how to play her or why anyone might enjoy playing her. She's not my cup of tea personally, but I'll still switch to her in a pinch, and she sometimes feels rewarding to play.

On the other hand, Lucio and Moira are real fun support characters because even if you took away their healing they still have fun mechanics. Moira is doing hella DPS and healing in the beta right now, it's just too bad her auto-aim beam mechanic feels kinda lame and cheaty. Lucio will never not be amazing though, his ability to peel whilst also being an incredible nuisance and sometimes off-tank makes him spectacularly enjoyable. If you don't get a "high" by saving 2 teammates who were about to get wrecked one second, and then booping two enemies off the map another before cornering and absolutely destroying a Widow just for the hell of it, I don't know what to tell you.

kedo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 4, 2022

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

teagone posted:

I liked when Symm could apply shields.

[edit] I had my sickest Sojourn play just now. Nano railgun owns

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WelldocumentedCraftyCobra-mobile.mp4

Also lol at the chat.

1. that rules nice play

2. WTF was gong in in chat???

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

And Mercy is the opposite extreme, where interacting with the game, at least for the healing mechanic, is more of a repetitive chore than really cognitively involved.

Good triage a thing, noob. Also juking fools with GA is the best. No other PvP game has given me the feeling of basically saying "peace bitches" as I GA away from harm and fly up looking down at them lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I play this game very casually with friends who are a lot more into it. I love playing support. Even as healbot Mercy it's fun to hang out with my friends, call things out and generally have a good time together, or share a bad time if we're losing horribly again. I would probably not enjoy playing Mercy by myself with random people, but I'd also never play this game by myself with random people at all.

Overwatch is the only FPS I can stand to play with them because I am not good at shooting things, and I don't really care to get good at shooting things. I've actually been really happy with how much variety there is in character selection. It's nice to feel like there's characters for your playstyle when you're not a hardcore FPS fan.

Sounds like things are being rebalanced to gently caress over people like me at the behest of the more hardcore player base. Oh well. I imagine people like me aren't going to be the loudest voices when there are balance issues.