Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

i had a fun 'aha' moment a while back from a Belorussian refugee who explained that the way a police state works is not that they monitor everybody super carefully, it's that they just make it so that between the legislation and the judiciary, you're guilty of something no matter what and so if the cops decide they don't like you for showing up to a protest or not giving them free donuts they can get you for something because it's impossible to follow law A without breaking law B and the judiciary just goes "if you hadn't done anything wrong you wouldn't get arrested, a million years"

so they don't need to spy on you, they just need to notice you

no one was watching the cameras in 1984. Winston even points out there are way more cameras and microphones than people, it would be impossible to watch them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i don't trust that handwaving, sorry. Maybe poo poo's balkanized, maybe there's a fair amount of noise, maybe it's difficult to generate profiles for stuff other than selling you an overpriced knick knack. yeah maybe

but i also don't trust a judge nor a jury to be all that discerning about that vOv

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Rutibex posted:

no one was watching the cameras in 1984. Winston even points out there are way more cameras and microphones than people, it would be impossible to watch them all

thankfully today the panopticon can just preserve all the camera recordings until they need to get you for something

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Riot Bimbo posted:

i don't trust that handwaving, sorry. Maybe poo poo's balkanized, maybe there's a fair amount of noise, maybe it's difficult to generate profiles for stuff other than selling you an overpriced knick knack. yeah maybe

but i also don't trust a judge nor a jury to be all that discerning about that vOv

oh yeah, my point was Don't be Noticed! Winston failed

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

taking data as a new raw material, what i dont get is what's stopping from companies just processing "bad" data as real, like say clicker bots vs data from a smarwatch or some other IoT wearable

they don’t care and most of their data is bad data which is actually another one of my kinks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

30.5 Days posted:

Every computer toucher replaced with a dog who can code

Dogs can’t wear programming socks.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Platystemon posted:

Dogs can’t wear programming socks.

The amount of energy currently spent making Bitcoin Ponzis is more than sufficient to develop socks for dogs, the real challenge will be developing a way for them to recognize the trans pride flag without color vision

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Could be worse.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

mindlessly repeating "Harley Davidson"' at my phone to own the panopticon

lol you're gonna end up buying a harley in the next 5 years

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What about crank

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://github.com/hxppxcxlt/gender

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Cyberpunk Dystopia] it is possible you will be misgendered by furniture

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I'm throwing off the digital panopticon by working frequent typos into my google searches.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I'm throwing off the digital panopticon by working frequent typos into my google searches.

the matrix but the original background story where the machines harvest humans to use our spare brainpower as processing power for themselves and Neo leads a rebellion in the Matrix by convincing everyone to be so stupid that it makes the machines stupid and they can be defeated

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

eSports Chaebol posted:

the matrix but the original background story where the machines harvest humans to use our spare brainpower as processing power for themselves and Neo leads a rebellion in the Matrix by convincing everyone to be so stupid that it makes the machines stupid and they can be defeated

"yeah i got a job in the Matrix. I just sit there and solve math problems all day, and this generates money somehow. it's weird. you ever feel like your whole reality is a fake simulation?"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Cup Runneth Over posted:

https://github.com/hxppxcxlt/gender

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Cyberpunk Dystopia] it is possible you will be misgendered by furniture

Brave Little TERF toaster was not a popular remake

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
got a new job as a computer toucher, has a half remote policy, go in for the first day and one of the guys text back he's feeling feverish and flu-ish
:negative:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

eSports Chaebol posted:

i think you just figured out what's happening

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rutibex posted:

The Building circular – an iron cage, glazed – a glass lantern about the size of Ranelagh – The Prisoners in their Cells, occupying the Circumference – The Officers, the Centre. By Blinds, and other contrivances, the Inspectors concealed from the observation of the Prisoners: hence the sentiment of a sort of invisible omnipresence. – The whole circuit reviewable with little, or, if necessary, without any, change of place.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qeck0o1Uiv1s52b0v.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rb9do6EUsU1qigfjt.mp4

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
*completely dead serious voice* crypto abortion.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
like bitcoins, but for abortion.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the cathols need to counter this devilish move with ultrasound NFTs

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
We need to establish a very secret network on the most heavily monitored communications system in history

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

erosion posted:

We need to establish a very secret network on the most heavily monitored communications system in history

also lets use an immutable ledger to keep track of everyone

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And have the system entirely run and staffed by men.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anyone else getting this "context" on their youtube videos? pretty creepy IMO

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wikipedia isn't a source lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
thanks youtube ive never heard of wikipedia before

these media ghouls are really freaking out they dont get to decide what content everyone must watch any more

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
let me put this in words you can understand.

https://twitter.com/rarecandyio/status/1521548615579226114?s=20&t=1WumfxNZJyrAGNDgtEKTIA

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Every day we stray further from god's light

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i put up a clip of the biopic of michael collins and youtube put one of those context links on it, i assume because it mixed him up with the apollo 11 astronaut

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

suddenly having the blinding realisation that giving these things the most hilariously stupid names is part of the grift. like how spam emails are usually incredibly obvious scams to make sure that only the most exquisitely gullible rubes even click through, only an absolute moron is going to invest in ‘slurp juice’ so it keeps anyone too smart to invest their life savings and then get hacked out of the system

maybe this has been obvious to everyone for a while but now it all makes sense to me so I can finally be at peace. namaste

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Im waiting for my car to be serviced and I just heard/saw a TV commercial for a 'side hustle' app.

I think it crippled my sanity because I didnt fully process it but I maybe was fooling myself that we hadn't progressed this deep this quickly.

Humanity was a mistake.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/twitersbadboy/status/1521903259488858113

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TACD posted:

suddenly having the blinding realisation that giving these things the most hilariously stupid names is part of the grift. like how spam emails are usually incredibly obvious scams to make sure that only the most exquisitely gullible rubes even click through, only an absolute moron is going to invest in ‘slurp juice’ so it keeps anyone too smart to invest their life savings and then get hacked out of the system

maybe this has been obvious to everyone for a while but now it all makes sense to me so I can finally be at peace. namaste

it all just sounds like some premium diamonds from a phone game. these ape makers are just free-agent whale hunters

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/futurism/status/1521113812497317889

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Why does he keep his wife in a coffee maker?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Vox Nihili posted:

do you ask why mr freeze keeps his wife in a cryopod, bigot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Vox Nihili posted:

i like my women like i like my coffee. in a coffee maker on the counter repeating "NETWORK ERROR"