Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1521104718730199042

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/05/03/wheat-shortage-leads-edmonds-to-urgently-find-australian-source/

NZ weather is apparently loving poo poo up?

Seems not great

quote:

A shortage of wheat due to dire weather conditions earlier in the season has led flour company Edmonds to source stock from overseas.

Heavy rain in February ruined crops around the country, leading arable farmers to describe it as the season from hell.

Edmonds said the weather meant yields in the South Island had been significantly impacted.

"With the reduced supply available in market we haven't been able to source enough New Zealand grown wheat for our Edmonds flour," a company spokesperson said.

"In order to ensure Kiwis have access to an ongoing supply of high quality flour, we have had to urgently source wheat from Australia, which will continue to be milled and packed in New Zealand."

Edmonds packaging states the company only uses New Zealand wheat so it will be updated to reflect the change.

"Due to supply chain constraints, we will have to use wheat from Australia before the new packaging is available, so will be identifying this product by printing 'Made from Australian Wheat' under the Best Before code of the product.

"Edmonds continues to be committed to delivering Kiwi bakers high quality flour to ensure best baking results."

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Someone tell the people that live there they have 30 years to go carbon neutral to limit the temperature increase to ...uhhhhh

Hm.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
ah whoops we used it all up

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I mean if we could have waved a wand in 1990 and magically gone to being carbon neutral we would be at 340ppm of CO2

that would be pretty nice looking at the 420 that we're at now

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My husband just turned on the hunger games after I told him about the NZ thing. lmao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bagual posted:

Lmao at tons of americans drinking corpse juice for decades

Americans filter their tap water

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
maybe they need to open a carbon capture plant in pakistan, have they thought about that

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

surely it can’t get much hotter than that!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Car Hater posted:

Drop floating and leave it as a rest beat

After all, hasn't most of it sank?
:hmmyes: good call

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

my 30° summer rear end cannot comprehend this yet

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

If we experience another significant drought in a major producer such as Canada, such as we saw last year, hoo boy poo poo is gonna get pretty drat interesting in the late spring of 2023.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Relin posted:

what do you think happens to fish when they die

They're paired with a nice salad

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

fish are basically vegetables so the salad seems superfluous

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Bhodi posted:

hey it's probably not a big deal but did you know since all reservoirs are canyons they obviously get wider as they get taller so when we measure by feet-depth it's a wildly misleading measurement that bears no relation to actual water volume because 50% of the total volume of water in any given reservoir is in the top ~10% of their maximum depth, ok thanks bye

that doesn't actually matter because again, as long as there's physically enough water coming in to meet your needs, the deepest straw gets 100% of what they want because once everyone else is sucking air anything and everything coming in goes to them.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

blatman posted:

fish are basically vegetables so the salad seems superfluous

humans are going to be basically vegetables once co2 goes up another ~100, and indoor co2 is way too high for a brain to work

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

muh comparatively-untouched billionaires' bunker paradise!!!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

bad boys for life posted:

humans are going to be basically vegetables once co2 goes up another ~100, and indoor co2 is way too high for a brain to work
Not seeing how that's different from now?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I’m sure the NZ doom bunkers have exempted themselves from this.

fun fact: CO2 is heavier than air and will settle at the lowest point possible, and scrubbers are finite :getin:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

If we experience another significant drought in a major producer such as Canada, such as we saw last year, hoo boy poo poo is gonna get pretty drat interesting in the late spring of 2023.

I now keep 2 years of shelf stable food stuffs that I continually rotate through, in addition to backup water filtration systems.

Not sure what else to do beside die I guess

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Koirhor posted:

I now keep 2 years of shelf stable food stuffs that I continually rotate through, in addition to backup water filtration systems.

Not sure what else to do beside die I guess

My roommate keeps quitetly tossing things that are past their "best by" date. Cheese gets better every year, and canned goods just need a good stirring!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

it routinely gets above 2,000 ppm co2 in crowded enclosed spaces, we've got a long time til the human vegetablization sets in

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Trabisnikof posted:

it routinely gets above 2,000 ppm co2 in crowded enclosed spaces, we've got a long time til the human vegetablization sets in

yeah humans can "tolerate" high CO2 but there is a measurable impact upon brain-body activity from high co2 (and also other volatile compounds) in enclosed spaces. you can even generally feel it yourself or it was even notable having classes in lovely basement-tier non-ventillated college buildings vs better ones. https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/doi/10.1289/ehp.1510037. harvard did a study a few years back

not vegetabilization, but impairment. that said the amount atmospheric co2 is going to change is ""relatively"" small increase vs what indoors gets up to.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

does properly weather sealing buildings have a negative impact on CO2 levels indoors? I would assume it would, because that would prevent fresh air from coming in and keeping stale air inside

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I used to feel really lovely after spending too long (6hours or so) with sweaty nerds in a comic book store playing magic. I always kind of figured that was why

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

skooma512 posted:

fun fact: CO2 is heavier than air and will settle at the lowest point possible, and scrubbers are finite :getin:

Just use algae terrariums when the copper runs out. Or if you're lucky you can farm slicksters

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

So uhh huh, well this is faster than expected

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Three inches a day lmao. You could stand at the edge of the lake and watch the water getting sucked away.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Koirhor posted:

yeah it's only going down like 10 or 15 a year so it'll take like a hundred years before it gets to zero. doesn't seem like a problem

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Minera posted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnsteadyElaborateHoopoe-mobile.mp4

nature is healing! look at that beautiful plastic life :)

lmao :smith:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Koirhor posted:

I'm joker laughing

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
thankfully we're not on the cusp of the hottest season in America so i think things will actually get better

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
vote for me and i will build a tarp over lake mead to keep the greedy atmosphere from stealing all of our water through illegal evaporation

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
this is a fun watch if you want to see how capitalism, now a fully aware ai, gets its claws into the furthest reaches of the planet and still leaves its adherents as poor as dirt. many such etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw4BM3FNXpY

times this by a billion and that's the state of the planet

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Rapacity posted:

this is a fun watch if you want to see how capitalism, now a fully aware ai, gets its claws into the furthest reaches of the planet and still leaves its adherents as poor as dirt. many such etc

This is a Fuckin' Pro Watch, BTW. :eyepop:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Koirhor posted:

[Biosphere Collapse] Not sure what else to do beside die I guess

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

T-Paine posted:

Not seeing how that's different from now?

Ha ha I was thinking of that tweet showing 2200+ ppm CO2 at the correspondents' dinner and how prolonged exposure at 1400 starts cognitive decline

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rime posted:

This is a Fuckin' Pro Watch, BTW. :eyepop:

fwiw the whole channel seems to be a goldmine, good find!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hexigrammus posted:

I probably shouldn't post about this since when it comes to chaos theory I'm straight outta of the New Guinea bush discussing airport design. There's a school of thought that thinks natural systems are chaotic. A system will "orbit" around a node for a time giving the appearance of stability and balance, then magic poo poo perturbations happen, knocking the system into orbiting another node of "stability".

These thoughts are not popular with population modellers who spend their time trying find more variables to plug into their models so they can predict how much wildlife we can kill next year.

I love poo poo like this because it means earth could fly out of it's orbit and crash into Jupiter or something and we could never predict it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Rapacity posted:

the subtitles are bad because much of it is totally intelligible to the point they could have just had subtitles of what was actually said because it's in English but with, perhaps, unfamiliar phrasing that is nonetheless perfectly obvious in meaning

definitely some standout moments where the meaning was obvious from what was said in English but the subtitles phrased it completely differently

but the narrator is clearly British so that's probably what's up

still an excellent watch

stringless has issued a correction as of 12:28 on May 4, 2022