Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Kirby is the perfect chill out game. it’s easy but still feels really satisfying.

I didn’t realize how many switch games I had until I was packing up my game cases. And there is so many more I would probably have if I could find more time. good console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

tmfc posted:

the switch owns

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Nintendo Switch is simply the greatest video game console of all time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Triangle Strategy is really good

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Triangle Strategy is really good

been eying this one as the my post elden ring & kirby game. how's it compare to the demo?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

been eying this one as the my post elden ring & kirby game. how's it compare to the demo?
it's a good bit longer.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's a good bit longer.

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's a good bit longer.

lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's a good bit longer.

:tipshat:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's a good bit longer.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

It's good but not great, the sections between battles kinda drag on too long too often but quality srpg overall

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's a good bit longer.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's a good bit longer.

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Which demo? The initial one, or the more recent one they put out? The recent one is just the first three chapters and you can transfer your save to the main game.

In general I'd say the dialogue gets better after the demo parts, the battles keep getting more complex, and the decision-making parts of the story are really great. The game has a cool persuasion system where you really have to pay attention to a characters' beliefs and priorities to convince them to vote the way you want them to at each story branch.

It's also very much the kind of game that wants you to play multiple times. It has a robust NG+ mode (and NG++ for your third playthrough) and four different endings, each with different paths to get there. Once I finish my first playthrough I'm doing NG+ immediately to see another path.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's a good bit longer.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Harrow posted:

Which demo? The initial one, or the more recent one they put out? The recent one is just the first three chapters and you can transfer your save to the main game.

In general I'd say the dialogue gets better after the demo parts, the battles keep getting more complex, and the decision-making parts of the story are really great. The game has a cool persuasion system where you really have to pay attention to a characters' beliefs and priorities to convince them to vote the way you want them to at each story branch.

It's also very much the kind of game that wants you to play multiple times. It has a robust NG+ mode (and NG++ for your third playthrough) and four different endings, each with different paths to get there. Once I finish my first playthrough I'm doing NG+ immediately to see another path.

I just did NG+ and it was very fun with the promotions / upgrades. game is excellent

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
just remembered the Hotel Dusk demo had a completely different play style from the final game
the demo reminded me of Phoenix Wright a bit. it was deductive with clear win/fail states for saying the right thing. when I bought the full game it was more of an open-ended point and click adventure kind of thing

I'm googling for details about the demo and can't find anything
and I think it was only available at those download stations when you took your DS to like GameCrazy or Toys R Us
every part of this sounds completely made up now

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Sick, didn’t know there was a newer demo that transferred. I’ll check it out for myself. Glad to hear choices do matter though, hate when you get promised that and it doesn’t matter that much in the end

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Sick, didn’t know there was a newer demo that transferred. I’ll check it out for myself. Glad to hear choices do matter though, hate when you get promised that and it doesn’t matter that much in the end

Yeah they absolutely matter. Probably like 75% of the chapters have at least two possible story paths, each with a different battle, and it becomes three paths later on. And there's one ending path that is only available if you've made all the right choices along the way, which a player is pretty unlikely to do blind (and also you really shouldn't try to do on a first playthrough, save it for NG+).

One thing to note is that there's no job system like FFT or class change system like Tactics Ogre or Fire Emblem (no branching promotions, either). Every character has one class, and promoting them just gives them stat boosts, a fancier battle sprite, and access to one or two new abilities. The upside to this is that every character is completely unique. Frederica is not only the first fire mage you get, she's the fire mage, for example. Nobody else can do what Benedict does. Roland is the only spear cavalry. Anna is your only rogue. Stuff like that. There are characters who fill similar roles (multiple healers or tank-type characters, multiple archers, etc.) but they all do it differently and have very different strengths.

It's really cool and something I haven't seen in a tactical RPG in a good while. There are still some character building choices in the weapon upgrade tree, but the most important choices you'll make aren't which classes to make each character, but which of your characters to deploy on a given map.

It's also really generous with catch-up EXP for characters who are underleveled, which is a feature I love. Characters get EXP for doing anything, even just using a healing item on themselves, and that EXP is based on the recommended level for that battle. If a character is like 4 or so levels below the recommended level, they'll get a full level's worth of EXP for every action they do, so you can catch people up very quickly if you need to. But then if you're a couple levels over the recommended, you get almost no EXP at all, so it's very difficult to overlevel. It's a nice balance.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 4, 2022

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
that all sounds cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's like Suikoden Tactics Ogre, I probably could've just said that

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Imo designers should start thinking harder about whether exp needs to even be a thing in the first place

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Triangle Strategy could've probably worked without it. If you want the players' numbers to go up they can just go up a bit after every main story battle, and unlock new abilities in certain chapters or whatever. It's also not necessary as a "how much have you invested into/committed to using this character" mechanic because the more important investments are with more limited resources (promotion items and weapon upgrade materials) and not EXP.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Imo designers should start thinking harder about whether exp needs to even be a thing in the first place

it does

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

P-Mack posted:

/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

drakee next to him saying "yeah! and gold, too."

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah they absolutely matter. Probably like 75% of the chapters have at least two possible story paths, each with a different battle, and it becomes three paths later on. And there's one ending path that is only available if you've made all the right choices along the way, which a player is pretty unlikely to do blind (and also you really shouldn't try to do on a first playthrough, save it for NG+).

One thing to note is that there's no job system like FFT or class change system like Tactics Ogre or Fire Emblem (no branching promotions, either). Every character has one class, and promoting them just gives them stat boosts, a fancier battle sprite, and access to one or two new abilities. The upside to this is that every character is completely unique. Frederica is not only the first fire mage you get, she's the fire mage, for example. Nobody else can do what Benedict does. Roland is the only spear cavalry. Anna is your only rogue. Stuff like that. There are characters who fill similar roles (multiple healers or tank-type characters, multiple archers, etc.) but they all do it differently and have very different strengths.

It's really cool and something I haven't seen in a tactical RPG in a good while. There are still some character building choices in the weapon upgrade tree, but the most important choices you'll make aren't which classes to make each character, but which of your characters to deploy on a given map.

It's also really generous with catch-up EXP for characters who are underleveled, which is a feature I love. Characters get EXP for doing anything, even just using a healing item on themselves, and that EXP is based on the recommended level for that battle. If a character is like 4 or so levels below the recommended level, they'll get a full level's worth of EXP for every action they do, so you can catch people up very quickly if you need to. But then if you're a couple levels over the recommended, you get almost no EXP at all, so it's very difficult to overlevel. It's a nice balance.

I'm hype to dig in one day. The demo was good poo poo.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

this sounds pretty much like exactly what I wanted out of this game, awesome. is hard mode fun hard or tedious hard?

lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

this sounds pretty much like exactly what I wanted out of this game, awesome. is hard mode fun hard or tedious hard?

It's fun hard, maybe with the exception of the first battle on NG+ which is a wild difficulty spike but it evens out after that.

You can also change the difficulty any time so there's no risk starting on hard and seeing if you like it. Normal's not a cakewalk either but hard definitely pressures you to use crowd control well, use status effects, and pay very close attention to your characters' positioning to create bottlenecks and stuff.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"I hope the level up was worth it."

Harrow