Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Spermando posted:

Is it a case of him thinking idealistically that if "small-minded" people didn't have children the world would be a better place or is he completely aware that the main victims would be poor, uneducated people and he just doesn't care

He just has no concept of how the world works. He's one of those 'everyone in the South are Republicans' people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Movie Bob's philosophy is very straightforward: if you like the same video games and cartoons as him then you deserve to live.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

moviebob is objectivism filtered through the distorted simulacrum of the 90s nerd who belongs in a locker

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He posts like a mass shooter.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
My most pathetic moviebob story is when Shaun told him on twitter to shut up after posting one of his patented Moviebob takes, which triggered Bob into a retweeting storm and just endlessly retweeting his fans agreeing with him for several days lol

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Archer666 posted:

My most pathetic moviebob story is when Shaun told him on twitter to shut up after posting one of his patented Moviebob takes, which triggered Bob into a retweeting storm and just endlessly retweeting his fans agreeing with him for several days lol

Goddamn I remember this that was unholy pathetic.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Idiocracy is a documentary baybeeee especially the eugenics stuff love da eugenics

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Moviebob's frustration that Stupid Assholes are around is understandable, but his belief that they're only here cause civilization is too kind is strange to still have. It's the internet age, the doors are wide open to the kind of people who make life difficult, and it's not the kind of people that a cruel world would grind away.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's low hanging fruit I know but it's so wild that a dude who's social output is 'scream about mario' and 'consume MCU' is also big into eugenics. Like...bro do you think you're going to make the cut there????

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Violet_Sky posted:

I find its easier to google recipes than to buy meal kits. You can find interesting stuff no matter your dietary preferences

Also what's Edge Casey? Google isn't being helpful

Googled recipes that show up first are usually recipes written by 40 year old white wine moms who have no idea how to actually cook. Google shows you convenience and familiarity first (because that's what people who don't cook are googling more) over actually good recipes made by people who know what they are doing.

The meal crates are a terrible, terrible, terrible value if you are just going by how much the food cost is, but I recommend them to a lot of people who can afford them for a month or two who want to get better at cooking or learn to make new things. Most of them (especially Blue Apron) have talented chefs in their company making the recipes so you get good flavors/ingredients, and the instructions are written in a way that still use some more complicated cooking techniques/ingredients (again, depending on the service and which meals you choose) while being easy to follow. They're also good for learning portion control sizes.

If you don't have the money for a month or two of the services but want to learn to cook better meals/new recipes I recommend finding some scans online of the recipe cards for the companies.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I find it interesting people have moved into saying Hillibilly Elegy was supposed to be seen as this warning when JD Vance's career has been easily defined as saying "Rural whites are utterly indistinguishable from cartoon orcish creatures with barely a sense of self perservation or curiosity or emapthy where any attempt at addressing material concerns they might have, other than a flourish to own progressives, is useless after years of substance abuse, isolation and inbreeding, and somehow that's a good thing since it means their attitude is somehow more authentic" over and over again, which is why he found kinship as an ""explainer"" of Trump's win that excuses anything other than... well a fake sentiment that you can easily imprint either some sense of ""honor"" or utter disdain towards a whole underclass. And somehow I can see the same people who wanted Waiting For Superman or Malcolm Gladwell's writings about education to flourish realize that just having Christopher Rufo be the battering ram to crush public education measures by screaming about cathode ray tubes and furries. Which I guess why it explains his sudden surge in GOP polling, even as a detractor of Trump a couple years ago.

Both modern GOP and people like Moviebob benefit from someone like that, is what I'm saying.

John Murdoch posted:

You say that, but Sonic remains an incredibly easy target (we literally just had a dumb argument ITT where people tried to claim the character is an obscure throwback with no cultural cachet) and 06 in particular is a powerfully, mythologically bad game in a series known for bad games. I also have a theory that Sonic's close association with furries leads to a much more outsized overreaction than other bad or just thoroughly mediocre games.

Thor only touches on it briefly, but something that (re)clicked for me is that the hokey-but-earnest and very broad strokes writing might come off as silly to a lot of people, but for neurodivergent folks it probably lands really, really well.

It's a very ,very adolescent game and he has gone out of his way on a lot of other titles to celebrate other titles that had a very similiar vibe. I don't mind that. It's when he goes "No these mechanics and controls are actually good!", there's this occasional sentiment you see on backlash towards backlash of Wii-era motion control games that gets summed up with "Oh, you got this from a youtuber, did you. :agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus:". Picture if that was the pervailing thought around, let's say, SQIJ or HareRaiser. Which is why I was surprised he didn't say anything about the speedrunning community around the game or how with a few tweaks you have a decent title where the constant voice lines become endearing and not a reminder you just had to repeat a level bc you got caught in geometry for the nth time.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXNNhF-fJkA

Civvie reviews Lucasarts' western FPS, Outlaws.

I played the hell out of the demo (second stage of the game) and having this free roaming level that would even play on my Pentium at 133 MHZ was astonishing. Mind you, not knowing much of the game meant that you'd accidently blast the boss during your free roam since he could show up on the building on the middle, but bc the main character's speed was almost Doom-guy fast, you could get a really fun Doppler effect just speeding away from every goon's barks.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Spermando posted:

Is it a case of him thinking idealistically that if "small-minded" people didn't have children the world would be a better place or is he completely aware that the main victims would be poor, uneducated people and he just doesn't care

He literally sees himself as one of the ubermensch held back by lesser men.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Spermando posted:

Moviebob literally believes in a seething horde of white poor people who make everything in the country bad, buying into the Republican propaganda self image completely.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The 'fandom menace' youtubers hate him, so I had assumed he was very left wing, which is why I was confused.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Moviebob is a liberal extremist but absolutely opposed to anything left wing which is a relatively rare thing to see in online circles but is depressingly common in print media and US government.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Danaru posted:

Idiocracy is a documentary baybeeee especially the eugenics stuff love da eugenics
Even Judge was like “oof, my bad” on the unintentional pro-eugenics reading, and yet Bob has made it the cornerstone of his politics. Wild.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Moviebob is a liberal extremist but absolutely opposed to anything left wing which is a relatively rare thing to see in online circles but is depressingly common in print media and US government.
He feels like a liberal who learned how to be one via right-wing caricatures of liberals.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Bob is theoretically socially liberal, in that he believes that he thinks racism and homophobia are bad. But in practice his actual policy beliefs are extremely racist, sexist, and ableist because his underlying political understanding is "evil jocks who play Metroid Prime oppressing the nerds who should be running everything, who wisely play Mario 3

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archer666 posted:

Haven't most of the big leftist YouTubers done a 'dude, just stop' to him at this point? I'm pretty sure Hbomberguy did so too. Possibly when he was going on about wanting to reduce the South to a parking lot or similar, which I would prefer to avoid because I live there.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

evil jocks who play Metroid Prime oppressing the nerds who should be running everything, who wisely play Mario 3

is moviebob the one who said saying metroid other m is poo poo is racist against the japanese

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The very same!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Bob is theoretically socially liberal, in that he believes that he thinks racism and homophobia are bad. But in practice his actual policy beliefs are extremely racist, sexist, and ableist because his underlying political understanding is "evil jocks who play Metroid Prime oppressing the nerds who should be running everything, who wisely play Mario 3
Yeah though it seems to be he only opposes racism and homophobia because he believes them to be factually wrong, rather than morally wrong.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

CinemaRoberto is also a Boston townie, making him a resident of one of the most racist cities in the United States. But, having seen no other part of the country beyond his yearly trips to ComicCon, he’s convinced that the rest of the country (especially the dreaded red states) are somehow even more racist. If the dude ever spent time in Memphis or Atlanta it would destroy his entire worldview like a funko pops in a hydronic press.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

He feels like a liberal who learned how to be one via right-wing caricatures of liberals.

He is a very standard liberal. His politics are a cloud of excuses for why he “deserves” what he wants and others “deserve” destruction. It just sounds a lot more whiny and less workshopped coming from him.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Please stop deciding a strange man who talks about why metroid M is racist is actually the personification of everyone less left than you

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

GonSmithe posted:

Googled recipes that show up first are usually recipes written by 40 year old white wine moms who have no idea how to actually cook. Google shows you convenience and familiarity first (because that's what people who don't cook are googling more) over actually good recipes made by people who know what they are doing.

The meal crates are a terrible, terrible, terrible value if you are just going by how much the food cost is, but I recommend them to a lot of people who can afford them for a month or two who want to get better at cooking or learn to make new things. Most of them (especially Blue Apron) have talented chefs in their company making the recipes so you get good flavors/ingredients, and the instructions are written in a way that still use some more complicated cooking techniques/ingredients (again, depending on the service and which meals you choose) while being easy to follow. They're also good for learning portion control sizes.

If you don't have the money for a month or two of the services but want to learn to cook better meals/new recipes I recommend finding some scans online of the recipe cards for the companies.

This maps to my experience, too. I am a pretty decent home cook, but a friend living with me for a while wanted to try Blue Apron to learn to cook, and the food's good and the instructions are excellent. I learned a few new things, and I wasn't expecting to.

At the moment, I'm using Freshly because my kitchen is a home renovation disaster but the microwave works and the meals for that are really pretty excellent (also a good portion control mechanic), albeit sorely in need of salt+pepper+often cayenne. It's cheaper than DoorDash, and I keep not thinking about eating until after pretty much anything I can walk to is closed so it becomes DoorDash, McDonald's, or Freshly, and Freshly's stuff is a lot better.

LanceHunter posted:

CinemaRoberto is also a Boston townie, making him a resident of one of the most racist cities in the United States.

FWIW, given the way Boston's changed over the time I've lived in Massachusetts, I'm not sure this is actually true anymore (though it definitely was when Bob was a kid). I moved out of Dorchester to south of the city, on the edge of the suburbs and where a lot of those townies got pushed out to, and it seems a lot worse here.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 4, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grondoth posted:

Please stop deciding a strange man who talks about why metroid M is racist is actually the personification of everyone less left than you

I mean it's not even that, Bob reminds me a lot of a particular type of "high profile" online liberal like Matt Yglesias or Noah Smith who thinks that because they have a college degree and an audience they are naturally more intelligent than their peers and qualified to talk authoritatively on anything and everything with opinions that deserve deference.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Grondoth posted:

Lol look at the super enlightened liberal here to set everyone straight

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/Linkara19/status/1521892117513129985
God that is such a meanspirited thing to say to Linkara

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He is a wet blanket about the OneyPlays stuff but that's so insanely overboard and missed that they like Linkara.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fans will see two people being somewhat rude to each other for like 5 seconds and extrapolate that into a decades-long blood feud

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

He is a wet blanket about the OneyPlays stuff but that's so insanely overboard and missed that they like Linkara.

yea he can stand to lighten up a bit but holy poo poo way to miss that the point of their razzing was that they think Linkara is fun despite being a bit stodgy at times for a guy who unironically wears a fedora and talks about power rangers. That comment's insane. Like, regardless of if you think they dwelled on the joke too long OneyPlays always was pretty clear 'hey we actually like Linkara, don't go be freaks at him' but damned if this guy wasn't ready and amped to be an e-janissary in a war nobody is fighting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vWJE8k-Meo

Sarah Z covers Geek Culture and dear lord I dont miss it
I think this video suffers a bit from "everything I don't remember is pre-historic and therefore doesn't matter".

D&D and TTRPG gets mentioned as the earliest form of prehistory, then it skips right over things like LOTR (despite it being mentioned, it apparently doesn't qualify as geek culture), and also ignores things like Futurama (which unlike The Big Bang Theory, Community and other things the video brings up as geek culture, was exceptionally a product of geeks rather than something that was made for geeks).

More notably though, to me at least, is how it completely misses things like HAM radio, computing throughout the 70s to late 80s/early 90s (basically before Eternal September), model trains (which is where the term 'hacking' comes from, as hacking is what model train enthusiasts do to trains when they, with an axe, hack a piece off the model to change its characteristics), and a whole grand collection of things too big to mention - I guess it can be argued that the video covers it by saying it won't cover it, but that introduces issues of its own.

By not covering the counterculture-to-niche transition, the video misses out on the perspective that lets one see how reddit completely and utterly stole every single idea from digg (which in turn stole most of its ideas from fark and slashdot), how memes with impact fonts used to be called image macros and originated on this very site, that this style of forum is based on older forms of communities like BBS and usenet - all of which is to say that ultimately geek culture has always been built on what came before.

It seems like the video is more about the niche-to-mainstream transition, as well as very explicitly about the the commodification of geek whereby geeks discovered that they collectively had enough purchasing power to surround themselves in their hobbies, and the capitalism doing its subsequent thing - but in doing so, not necessarily addressing how little this actually affects geek culture itself (which doesn't have anything to do with the amount of purchasing power geeks collectively have).

Obviously Sarah and Emily know much more about newer internet culture with respect to things like tumbler than I do, since I basically disconnected from modern geek culture around the time it started showing even the smallest sign of becoming commodified - not necessarily out of a hipster notion, but more that I felt like my hobby shouldn't be a vehicle for companies to try and sell me poo poo.

Ultimately, I think the video could've stood to gain a lot with what the video was so quick to throw out, as it would've better informed an analysis of what geek culture is, how capitalism commodified geek to a certain extend, and how geek culture itself is still very much exactly as it's always been.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 4, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How does it compare to "nArRaTiVe In FiLmS WaS iNvEnTeD iN tHe 1940s?"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Sydin posted:

I mean it's not even that, Bob reminds me a lot of a particular type of "high profile" online liberal like Matt Yglesias or Noah Smith who thinks that because they have a college degree and an audience they are naturally more intelligent than their peers and qualified to talk authoritatively on anything and everything with opinions that deserve deference.

Ah, I feel that. The entitled spirit of that type of guy can be totally felt, the kind of dude who hasn't actually put in the time or effort to understand what they're talking about but naturally assumes they're smarter than everyone around them. They're a very similar type of dumbass to the guy who has never put in the time or effort to understand anything they talk about but spews out their opinions anyway and refuses to ever learn anything and just wants to get into fights. The vapid nature of the geek stuff that moviebob loves combined with the idea that he's an intellectual for liking it does feel like he's a specific type of guy that you see in other places, but I still think he's weird rather than a usefully broad example.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

https://twitter.com/shriekcast/status/1521875044376494080?s=21&t=TM2qTEeYME_XXBErpgqs-g

today on the shrieking shack, edward experiences the epic highs and lows of boyfriend points in a scene that was intelligently excised from the movie

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Soup du Jour posted:

https://twitter.com/shriekcast/status/1521875044376494080?s=21&t=TM2qTEeYME_XXBErpgqs-g

today on the shrieking shack, edward experiences the epic highs and lows of boyfriend points in a scene that was intelligently excised from the movie

I haven't listened to the latest episode but so far they have been making a great case for reading Twilight. It _sounds_ fun!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bar Crow posted:

He is a very standard liberal. His politics are a cloud of excuses for why he “deserves” what he wants and others “deserve” destruction. It just sounds a lot more whiny and less workshopped coming from him.

And what Bob thinks he 'deserves' is to live in a holodeck but can't because poor people who go to church or whatever.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

The meal kit boxes drive me up the loving wall though. Just go to the loving grocery store. Don't bring up your Edge Casey bullshit, you know drat well they ain't targeted for the elderly or handicapped.

While I agree the meal kits are probably vastly overpriced, there's a lot of times I would've loved to have all the ingredients pre-packaged for trying a new meal. Grocery store is perfect for most stuff, but I now have a cabinet full of cans of poo poo like fennel that I used a teaspoon of, once, for a single recipe then learned I don't like it but I can't bring myself to throw it out because that's Wasting Food and the ghosts of my grandparents will rise from their graves to haunt my sleep.

Whose dick do I have to suck to get spices packaged in those little salt packs like at McDonalds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Puppy Time posted:

While I agree the meal kits are probably vastly overpriced, there's a lot of times I would've loved to have all the ingredients pre-packaged for trying a new meal. Grocery store is perfect for most stuff, but I now have a cabinet full of cans of poo poo like fennel that I used a teaspoon of, once, for a single recipe then learned I don't like it but I can't bring myself to throw it out because that's Wasting Food and the ghosts of my grandparents will rise from their graves to haunt my sleep.

Whose dick do I have to suck to get spices packaged in those little salt packs like at McDonalds?

Problem with Hello Fresh (the one I tried) was that unless you were on the four person plan you would still end up wasting things because they didn't actually do a good job of scaling things down for two.