Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

extremely back-of-the-napkin math question:

if we assume that it takes 14 days to recover from COVID, on average

and a particular population being monitored keeps reporting 300 new cases per day (and assuming that case monitoring is reliable/accurate), and this rate is mostly stable

then you would expect active cases to level off at around 4,200 cases, right?

because as soon as the 300 people from T-14 days recover, we get another 300 new cases from T-0
the next day, 300 people from T-13 days recover, but we get another 300 new cases from T+1
the next day, 300 people from T-12 days recover, but we get another 300 new cases from T+2
and so on and so forth

again, this is extremely simplistic, and makes a lot of assumptions that probably won't hold, but am I making sense?

no, the amount of unpredictable elements far outweigh the number of predictable ones at numbers this low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

I needed an ambulance while covid positive recently and the paramedics arrived wearing surgical masks and those lovely white plastic aprons.

love 2 provide appropriate PPE

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I hate capitalism and large corporations. The private market is not the answer. i shouldn't need to say this as a disclaimer but lol.

3M has done infinitely more for a fraction of what we pay in taxes to protect myself and my family and friends than our government has.
It's 'fortunate' that there are no more conservatives or libertarians of note in America and it's all open fascists now, because if I was Ron Paul or whatever I'd point to this fact as clear proof that the private sector does what big government cannot.

Biden and his friends have killed and maimed hundreds of thousands of Americans. 3M have, for a pittance of what we all pay in taxes, saved thousands if not tens of thousands.

Just LMAO at our failed loving state.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Terrible headaches after contracting covid 5 months ago turned out to be a 3.0mm brain aneurysm (link)

quote:

I'm 28 female and have had all long-haul problems that have gotten progressively worse. What I thought were migraines or headaches happened to be an unruptured brain aneurysm on the right side of my head. Shout out to the kind user on Reddit who told me to get an MRI with and without contrast. The contrast showed the aneurysm and the regular MRI didn't. Whether this was caused by covid or flared up by covid I just remember feeling these horrible headaches when I got covid thanksgiving 2020 and they have never gone away. After being told I was "anxious" and "paranoid" I'm finally getting more answers and I believe covid messes with the blood vessels and arteries. I'm absolutely terrified and hopefully, it isn't anything serious. I'm waiting for the doctor to go over the results.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Seems like getting COVID isn't a great thing to do

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Grabnar posted:

“Dude, I literally am about to have a degree in a related field. I also know what I'm talking about. Wildlife biology has more to do with disease ecology than you'd think as well. I mean, where did covid start? A wildlife population. (Likely transferred from a bat to a pangolin, then a pangolin to a human)”

-Brain Genius friend of mine graduating with a BS in Ecology telling me that wearing respirators on planes/in public and not eating in restaurants is “bordering on paranoia... you are like quintuple vaxxed, I have a feeling you'd be fine. you do you, no pressure of course and i do understand, I just worry about that level of paranoia”

Said friend also got covid a month ago and coincidentally had a sudden and dramatic decrease in vision and random elevated blood sugar but “is fine”

Lmao I have a BS in microbiology which is literally a degree in disease ecology and epidemiology was a loving elective

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
My partner has to fly home to see her dad in the hospital. Delta gate agent is hassling her about her vented 9211 - no vents allowed but maskless is fine

update: she gestured to the maskless line behind her and the lady let her on the plane

Stoop Kid has issued a correction as of 11:23 on May 4, 2022

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Stoop Kid posted:

My partner has to fly home to see her dad in the hospital. Delta gate agent is hassling her about her vented 9211 - no vents allowed but maskless is fine

update: she gestured to the maskless line behind her and the lady let her on the plane

lol you almost had me on the first half - I was like “didn’t delta go open Biden? what the gently caress do they care?”

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Stoop Kid posted:

lmao

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

stump collector posted:

everything seems bad and i dont want to go on anymore

also i have a job interview in my waifus hometown this friday - I fly out thursday. I'm gonna wear my n95 the whole time, and, i guess post in this thread.

unfortunately there's a dinner after the interview. do I try the line "I'm not taking my mask off, I have a kid at home" or is that going to piss 5-6 people off on the hiring committee?
I already know the answer - it will.

Guess I'll just hold my breath the whole time, eat a couple bites of food, and put my mask back on, and sit there like a dickhead for an hour

While I'm donning and doffing they'll be doffing my resume/application in the trash despite a glowing first interview over teams

Whatever

if they're worth the effort, they'll respect you for having a spine and communicating clearly. better to say it beforehand rather than saving it for the last minute, though

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Shiroc posted:

Are we even sure of that at this point?

No.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Stoop Kid posted:

this is how you know everyone’s brains are on auto pilot

no critical thinking

just lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/genepark/status/1521662707358961666?s=21&t=BfPvWMhytDbAkl4lLJgjpQ

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Was it ever conclusively established that type O blood offers protection, or was that just a rumor from the early days?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Stoop Kid posted:

hahahaha

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

welcome

My grandmother who I have not seen in like 10 years is going to be visiting my family 3 hours away. They asked me to make the drive and I kinda responded non-committedly but after careful reflection

a: gently caress driving
b: gently caress the plague rats

I have to live my life and I can't have boomer ghouls dragging me down to hell with them

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

i finally saw that spider-man movie

it was ok

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

stump collector posted:

everything seems bad and i dont want to go on anymore

also i have a job interview in my waifus hometown this friday - I fly out thursday. I'm gonna wear my n95 the whole time, and, i guess post in this thread.

unfortunately there's a dinner after the interview. do I try the line "I'm not taking my mask off, I have a kid at home" or is that going to piss 5-6 people off on the hiring committee?
I already know the answer - it will.

Guess I'll just hold my breath the whole time, eat a couple bites of food, and put my mask back on, and sit there like a dickhead for an hour

While I'm donning and doffing they'll be doffing my resume/application in the trash despite a glowing first interview over teams

Whatever

Either tell them you aren’t gonna do the dinner or go maskless, you’ll sabotage the job a whole lot less by skipping out than you will be doing the remove mask for each bite thing.

I guess you could ask to go to a place with a patio but you’re risking getting stuck with indoor seating if you do that.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hopefully he gets better to go see Doctor Strange!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Boomer in the next cubicle is coughing up a storm today.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The person I’ll be working closely with next week is currently in Disneyworld. Might be Bane mask or bust for me.

At least the big bosses at my company are now saying “Hey, Omicron is really coming back! Maybe we should all be wearing masks??” lol, but, better than nothing.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wonder if I could run a Camelback hose under my mask and tape down around it for my upcoming 12 hour airplane experience

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Soap Scum posted:

poo poo. https://www.findcovidcare.com and get paxlovid asap if you can. every bit helps.

thanks, doing this now. probably too late to matter since I've likely had it since Sunday, but i still feel like poo poo so why not

gonna get some OG sudafed too

Tzen posted:

saw your post earlier but lost it before i could quote, so here we are
best of luck, life is a gently caress, :rip:

thanks. near 100% chance i got it by stupidly taking my mask off to have some water at work during one of the brutal 10-12 hr shifts i had last week

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

Joe Biden is doing more to take out the reporters in the lying fake news media than Trump ever did

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

welp, two-year-old is getting jabbed with something that is 2/3 likely to be Pfizer this morning.

really good at-bat odds, but I’m more of a basketball goon. would prefer a layup.

Insanite has issued a correction as of 13:55 on May 4, 2022

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Was it ever conclusively established that type O blood offers protection, or was that just a rumor from the early days?

pre-omicron, but it's been observed that type O blood havers are a bit more protected from infection and serious outcomes relative to other types and Rhesus-negative are a bit less likely to develop infection than Rhesus-positive.

having both of those factors seems to have a compounding effect, so in theory O- is the best possible blood type to have

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8286549/ posted:

Ray et al [21] published the largest study to date in Canada, investigating the association of blood type with COVID-19. This population-based cohort study from Ontario included a total of 225,556 patients who underwent polymerase chain reaction testing for SARS-CoV-2. Among these, 7,071 (3.1%) tested positive for the virus. Adjusted relative risks (ARRs) were calculated after adjusting for patient demographic data and medical comorbidities. The authors found that individuals with type O blood were less likely to contract SARS-CoV-2 compared with non–type O blood groups (ARR = 0.88; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.84–0.92). Rhesus (Rh)-negative individuals were also less likely to be diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2 (ARR = 0.79; 95% CI, 0.73–0.85). Interestingly, individuals with O-negative blood type were further protected against viral infection (ARR = 0.74; 95% CI, 0.66–0.83). Type O individuals were at decreased risk compared to non–type O individuals with regard to secondary outcomes, such as severe illness and death (ARR = 0.87; 95% CI, 0.78–0.97). Rh-negative individuals were also at lower risk of severe illness and mortality compared to Rh-positive patients (ARR = 0.82; 95% CI, 0.68–0.96). Taken together, the authors concluded that type O and Rh-negative blood groups may be protective against SARS-CoV-2 infection and illness.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hopper posted:

Forget Germany, we can't get 2nd boosters unless 70, high risk or a healthcare worker. And the latter have to wait 6 months the as well.

My booster was in November so it's mainly useless by now I guess. Hope I don't have to put it to the test.

My mom got a second one recently due to chemo, but my dad who turns 73 soon is poo poo outta luck despite COPD and heart disease. His booster was in November as well. Did I mention that we just destroyed a million doses due to "insufficient demand"?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

God Hole posted:

pre-omicron, but it's been observed that type O blood havers are a bit more protected from infection and serious outcomes relative to other types and Rhesus-negative are a bit less likely to develop infection than Rhesus-positive.

having both of those factors seems to have a compounding effect, so in theory O- is the best possible blood type to have

:yeshaha:

I'm O+ and my roommate is O-, we're cave people, I wear a respirator, and she wears one of my KF-94 stockpile in the outworld, and we're running 1 to 3 corsi cubes at any one time. My apartment is a fortress against COVID.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
In the office this morning for the first time in a while because some customers are visiting. The aranet4 is saying that it’s between 600 and 620 ppm in my office which is good so I’m not bothering to keep the mask on so rip me if that’s what gets me. Looking forward to being the only masked person for the lab tour and conference room stuff later.

The black BNX 95s I ordered came yesterday so I’m rocking one of those and I like it. Doesn’t feel like a suit of armor like an aura, feels more like if somebody took a KF94 and gave it comfortable around the head straps instead of ear loops. But it is a little bigger than the aura so the bottom flap isn’t sliding as much.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

God Hole posted:

Thank you.

Four of my girlfriend's friends are bedridden with nasty covid. Like all 4 have covid and all 4 of them are completely hosed up. If regular omicron was mild this seems significantly worse

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

God Hole posted:

My kids and my wife have O blood so I'm just going to believe that this, plus masking, vaccinations, and the other precautions that we take will keep them safe. I don't have O blood but that's okay.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Thank you.

Four of my girlfriend's friends are bedridden with nasty covid. Like all 4 have covid and all 4 of them are completely hosed up. If regular omicron was mild this seems significantly worse

If they are bedridden but not in the hospital hooked up to oxygen then that’s what counts as mild. Which is stupid as hell and intentionally confusing on the CDCs part. It’s mild unless you’re almost dead.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

If they are bedridden but not in the hospital hooked up to oxygen then that’s what counts as mild. Which is stupid as hell and intentionally confusing on the CDCs part. It’s mild unless you’re almost dead.

Almost dead is "medium COVID," and dead is "spicy COVID"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there a recommendation for a CO2 monitor that isn't the aranet4 because that poo poo ain't cheap

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

crossposting this advice, I’m not a dr, but the person who shared this w me is.

We saw benefit with several over-the-counter therapies that we used on hospital patients before the FDA approved therapies came out and in conjunction. Here’s what I recommend taking to help lower your symptoms and help you recover:
-Vitamin D, 1000 units or 2000 units daily (low vitamin D levels are linked with higher hospitalization and increased severity in early covid studies)

-Famotidine (Pepcid AC) 20mg daily. Start this immediately if you can. Shows benefit if you start it early as possible. Vanderbilt is currently restudying this to see if our research matches many of the other research showing benefit.

-Melatonin 3mg, 6mg, or 10mg daily. All showed benefit so whatever you can find or have on hand.

-Aspirin 81mg daily. Blood thinner and reduces clot risk. Don’t take any more than 81mg daily, that’s all you need. Also don’t take if you have ever been told not to take NSAIDs, ibuprofen, or naproxen. Otherwise you are fine to take.

-Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are great for pain and headache. 500mg acetaminophen, take 2 every 8 hours. Ibuprofen 200mg take 2-3 every 8 hours. You can take ‘em together or alternate every 4 hours or so.

-Mucinex (guaifenesin) is good for cough as it gets the mucous out. Don’t take unless you start to have cough.

-Zinc (this one is iffy, doses in studies are pretty high, 300mg/day, so I would not recommend taking that unless under doctor’s supervision. If you have a generally 30-50mg supplement around the house, taking it daily should help your immune system a bit, but it’s not necessary).

Stay hydrated, Pedialite is great if you haven’t been eating much, Gatorade and Powerade are pretty sugary but work well if you have them.

If you have a pulse oximeter or a way to measure Oxygen Saturation, I recommend it just for safety. If your oxygen saturation drops below 95% then you need to be evaluated by a doctor, preferably the ER. Note: if you have COPD or similar Lung condition your normal levels may already be lower.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Jesus, the boomer in the next cube just keeps coughing today. I can hear him spitting poo poo though, so it's probably not COVID, right?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
for anyone having trouble getting paxlovid, there's an online website that does same-day appointments called PlushCare. they have a free trial and the doctor i got just looked for ANY comorbidity -- BMI >25 counted for me with nothing else. not that she could really see how fat i was on camera

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
assuming you live near somewhere that even has paxlovid

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pie Colony posted:

for anyone having trouble getting paxlovid, there's an online website that does same-day appointments called PlushCare. they have a free trial and the doctor i got just looked for ANY comorbidity -- BMI >25 counted for me with nothing else. not that she could really see how fat i was on camera

Adding that to my shady teledoc list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Here read this article comparing China's zero covid policy to the great leap forward if you need some anger to power you through this lovely week:

https://asiatimes.com/2022/05/prices-chinas-paying-for-zero-covid-ukraine-war/?mc_cid=99e5d49e1a&mc_eid=82eccab09a

Edit: Reading this makes me feel like I'm crazy

Greg Legg has issued a correction as of 14:31 on May 4, 2022