Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Hey if it’s any consolation, I just read your quote to my wife and she just shouted out “yes I’ve been trying to tell everyone this for years.”

:same:

Plus he's a cubs fan so thats even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1521424734747045888?s=20&t=5dGCs6Tow2TtTT0Rh98PUQ

With a lovely view of the high tech imaging equipment, to include a...Canon point and shoot camera.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

I've collected a few of these, starting to wonder if they're worth their own thread (for general russia/Ukraine memes and photoshops), or if they're good here. Either way, without further ado...

My own:

Others found around the forums/on discord:

Template:

I would love if you wanted to do a photoshop thread in gbs

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1521632095260622849?t=Ac49bsZFg2Vywd70oX_vUg&s=19

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Should’ve known it was coming when they said “no, we’re not going to do that!!!”

e:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 4, 2022

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Do we have anything more than baseless speculation regarding what mobilization might look like? I want to imagine we're looking at something more like Vietnam (conscription for an unpopular war that causes substantial political unrest and dissidence but does not directly affect the daily life of the average citizen) than going into a state of total war, whatever the speeches they might give. There's also a question of what they'll actually be able to accomplish in comparison to their aims. Given the state of their standing army, I can only imagine the condition of their reserves.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gance's Napoleon is the only good war film

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

Gance's Napoleon is the only good war film

I'm a big fan of "A Bridge Too Far"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Those are some depressingly small areas of change compared to the beginning of the war, woof.

(yes I know that's how it goes as forces hunker down but that's a miserable grind)

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Hot Shots does a good job of displaying the stupidity of being in the military, while sprinkling it with plenty of laffs

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Hot Shots does a good job of displaying the stupidity of being in the military, while sprinkling it with plenty of laffs
"War, it's fantastic!"

Voyager I posted:

Do we have anything more than baseless speculation regarding what mobilization might look like? I want to imagine we're looking at something more like Vietnam (conscription for an unpopular war that causes substantial political unrest and dissidence but does not directly affect the daily life of the average citizen) than going into a state of total war, whatever the speeches they might give. There's also a question of what they'll actually be able to accomplish in comparison to their aims. Given the state of their standing army, I can only imagine the condition of their reserves.

There is one thing a bunch of badly trained conscripts and reservists can do about as well as anything else Russia has in the field: they can oppress and brutalize occupied cities that are free of organized regular enemy military. This could free up quite a few more capable troops for the front.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

What are the gun control laws in Ukraine like? I hear they're pretty strict in Russia. But are they loose enough in Ukraine that there's plenty of civilians with Mosins, shotguns, and maybe AKs to form up an insurgency against the Russians? Red Dawn style

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pretty loose, they allow tanks

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

What are the gun control laws in Ukraine like? I hear they're pretty strict in Russia. But are they loose enough in Ukraine that there's plenty of civilians with Mosins, shotguns, and maybe AKs to form up an insurgency against the Russians? Red Dawn style

what

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Pretty loose, they allow tanks
poo poo, that's right

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jimmy Smuts posted:

They got rid of pretty much all of them and started handing out automatic weapons to whoever wanted them to around late February for some reason, idkwtf

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
They also passed a law that re-appropriated Russian armor does not have to have any taxes paid upon it

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I've collected a few of these, starting to wonder if they're worth their own thread (for general russia/Ukraine memes and photoshops), or if they're good here. Either way, without further ado...

My own:

Others found around the forums/on discord:

Template:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Down Periscope

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

They aren't used to block Russian troops. People always joke about the Tuvan volksturm, but the real volksturm is in the Donbas.

The Russian puppet states in the Donbas have declared general mobilization, so they're forcing local East Ukrainians to fight for Russia. These are the guys with the shittiest bottom-bin WWII gear and WWI Maxims.

Obviously morale is abysmal, so they're being "motivated" by a rearguard of Kadyrovite Chechen troops.

"Isn't forcing people of conquered land to fight your war a war crime?" you ask. Well, that depends on whether you think the Lukhansk and Donets people's republics are real states or just Russian sock puppets.

This deserves to be unburied because it's a really good post.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GD_American posted:

I think Bill Murray is hilarious but I can 100% see how someone would not enjoy him.

Basically because 95% of what he's done, and absolutely 100% since The Jerk, has me hitting with Steve Martin the same.

Roxanne is Martin doing serious romantic comedy, and it's lovely.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I know what mobilization would entail in theory, but in practice I don't think anyone has much of a clear view given the current apparent state of the russian military. A dumb part of me thinks we'll see no poo poo over the top WW1 charges through a no man's land to get gunned down over and over on the part of russia.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/notwoofers/status/1521646878068199425?s=21&t=Qt9kePgTFa6MEoFyKdPHNQ

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1521591101110509569?s=21&t=8Fj7eFjUHGUUzp_vJvd07w

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 4, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I know what mobilization would entail in theory, but in practice I don't think anyone has much of a clear view given the current apparent state of the russian military. A dumb part of me thinks we'll see no poo poo over the top WW1 charges through a no man's land to get gunned down over and over on the part of russia.

There isn't really anything to charge as far as most of the front is concerned. Probably the closest anything gets to that is just forces blindly driving their vehicles forward with little or no recon or support or significant plan.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I'm a big fan of "A Bridge Too Far"

Kippur is good.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Hypothetically if some idiot gets up in the duma and attempts to

quote:

"legitimize a prolonged war effort as the Third World War against the West,"
does that kick up the rest of the world's threat posture, or is it a "Not what they say, what they do" on the escalation front, "What they do, not what they say" on the way back down?

No love for Thin Red Line?

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 4, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jimmy Smuts posted:

There are photos of destroyed Russian armor with "Wolverines" spraypainted on them, so I'd say the Red Dawn comparison is somewhat appropriate (albeit very morbid).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

IPCRESS posted:

does that kick up the rest of the world's threat posture, or is it a "Not what they say, what they do" on the escalation front, "What they do, not what they say" on the way back down?

While it'll certainly get media attention, it's just as likely that it's aimed at shoring up domestic political support (or rather quashing political dissent) as it is trying to expand the war.

Western intelligence has been startlingly accurate, so if we see the US and UK begin to warn of expanded aims, then we should begin to worry. The tactical incompetence of the Russian military can't be excused, but it seems like they're aware that fighting a multi-front war is not in their best interests.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Before I said Stripes was a good war movie, but I was just talking poo poo.

My actual list of good war movies are, in no order

• Saving Private Ryan
  • 12 o'clock High
  • Run Silent, Run Deep
  • The Great Escape
  • Gettysbug
  • Das Boot
  • Glory

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Cimber posted:

• 1917 1941

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cimber posted:

Gettysbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PrFocPT-Rs

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Come and See
Platoon
Hamburger Hill
Black Hawk Down
Fury
Tae Guk Gi

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Friendly Fire is an amazing war movie podcast that everyone should listen to. It's awesome.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

dublish posted:

Down Periscope

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Do you think Ukrainians would be able to shoot a picture of Baby Putin?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

IPCRESS posted:

Thin Red Line is a personal favorite because it shows inner reflection of terrible leaders and good leaders. But some of the naval gazing is boring.

Fury also has some great tank combat scenes until the ridiculous ending.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I needed a pot of coffee to get through the Thin Red Line. Good movie but it requires caffeine to not nod off.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm a little surprised that Tora Tora Tora isn't getting any love.

Edit: vvvv 9888? Was 1488 too on the nose for him?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 4, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look at this dude.

https://twitter.com/kingkong9888/status/1520056354722910210?s=21&t=LQNVEaCeFcwaNhKbAbSYog

Also does Battle LA count? Yes, I know I’ve gone on about it before, but it is a neat synthesis of genres.

Downfall is really well made and acted though, and extremely funny and fun except for like 3 scenes, since it’s non stop Nazi’s ranting and eating poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

Come and See
Platoon
Hamburger Hill
Black Hawk Down
Fury
Tae Guk Gi

Fury kind of irritated me, especially the seen where they engage the Tiger in an open field.

"Knowledge is Power, thankfully I'm a loving moron so I have no power"